IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shane Hollingsworth & Outlaw Mosley (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=35740)

nonwing 8/10/10 7:44 PM

Shane Hollingsworth & Outlaw Mosley

I had chemo the Tuesday before Saturday night, so I was dragging to say the least. But I woke up about 4:30p and decided to call the Hollingsworth house to see if Shane was running at LPS. Ann Marie said "Yes, we are headed out the door right now." So I made sorry butt to get up and gathered up everything I need to leave the house and drove my way from Brownsburg down to Putnamville. I got there as they were wheel packing and noticed Shane was doing his part as I walked up to the fence.

I was surprised to see that they had 35 sprinters as I walked up to Shane's pit. There I sat with the Hollingsworth clan and we got caught up on what had been going on since I last saw them. I always enjoy seeing everyone as I regard them as part of my own family. It was also nice to be out and back to where I love to be. At a sprint car race.

My own family was at home. Eddie had a buddy over for a sleep over while my daughter Emma had her own things going on. My wife has nevered really cared for racing. I didn't figure that out until at the end of year one of what is now going on 21 years of marriage. But tonight was my night to enjoy my own night out seeing and hearing what I grew up being apart of.

Shane finally got a good draw and started outside of the front row in his heat then proceeded to run away with the race leading the whole way. I spent some time with Shane's dad and grandpa in the stands and then during the bombers I walked around the pits when I recalled seeing Aaron Mosley running his familiar red #27. I walked up and said "Aaron, you may not remember me but.... " He and his dad were great and I really enjoyed talking to Aaron's dad about his day's in a wing sprint car which was about the same time my dad owned a car and we discovered that he drove the same type of sprinter my dad had, a Charlie Alfater chassis. Well, that got us both going talking about people we both knew.

Aaron went down to see what the track was like and when he got back he looked at me and said, "George, you ought to come down one night and wheel pack the car." I'm not sure what he expected, but I said, "Aaron, I would really enjoy that." Granted it would be nice to stand on it like I use to, but to hear the motor fire and idle around would be OK.

I then watched the two b-mains and then Shane was to start on the pole for the feature. Well, he won the race on the start as he beat Johnathon Vennard down into turn one and slide up perfectly up on the cushion to take the lead. Sure enough he walked off and left the field. He was so smooth and really never made a mistake. He won easily, if you can say that driving a sprint car.

As I walked back from the stands I stopped to see Brian Hayden and Bill Garner. It was the first time I had talked to Bill face to face and we got to share some of our chemo stories. It was good to see Brian, I always enjoyed racing with him. I left before his modified feature but read that he ran 4th.

I drove home with the biggest smile on my face. I got home around 11pm and when I opened the door I could hear Eddie and his little friend laughing about something up stairs when my wife said, "Well how was it?" I got all excited and felt my back straighten out and then realize something and said, "I had a nice evening, how was yours?"

Thanks to Shane and Aaron for such a great night. I don't seem to get out much, so Saturday night was a real treat.

48modracer 8/10/10 10:27 PM

Re: Shane Hollingsworth & Outlaw Mosley

The whole Hollingsworth family are great people. Always look forward to seeing them at the Chili bowl.

Tripcrwn 8/11/10 1:44 AM

That was a nice story about a trip to the races. I really enjoyed it. Thanks and good luck to you - hang in there!

Bad Dad 54 8/11/10 3:15 AM

Yes that is what I enjoy about going to the races, not just the racing but seeing & making friends there.

IndyBound 8/11/10 8:48 AM

George, thanks for sharing your evening out with us. My thoughts and prayers are with you to win your battle. Stay strong!

Patti

Pat O'Connor Fan 8/11/10 9:23 AM

I've been following open-wheel racing since the mid '50s. In that time I've met quite a number of truly nice people at various race tracks around the country. Alan Brown introduced me to George at the Speedrome about 30 years ago. I found it interesting that George's post names several people I placed on my "good people" list soon after I had a couple conversions with them, including Blake, Shane, Brian, and Bill.

Damn! I am way overdue to get my moldy old self to a dirt track over in Indiana :31:

Mud Packer 8/11/10 10:09 AM

George,

Thanks for taking us along on your trip to the LPS. Sometimes all that is needed is visit with old friends at the races to brighten your day. Keep up the fight and my thoughts and prayers are with you to beat this dreaded disease. We need survivors to help enlighten those folks just starting to battle as well as provide proof that this battle can be won. Thanks again for sharing your evening.:6:

Jerry Spencer 8/11/10 4:30 PM

Good to hear from you again, no doubt in my mind that you are surrounded by friends wherever you go. We are glad you made the trip and hope you can continue to go racing when you want to. Next trip to Kokomo pack your suit and we will sit you in the 66j to warm her up.

Jerry,Sarah,Paul,Josh and Sonny Spencer #66j
stida.com

Flatrightrear 8/11/10 4:50 PM

George,
I don't know you but am glad you enjoyed the track experience. I did the chemo scene last year and started radiation this week for the return bout. I have an excellent prognosis for recovery and I'll pray that you do too. Going to the races is one of the best ways for me to get away from any bad doubts and just having fun with friends watching cars go in circles and forgetting about everything else for a few hours. God bless you and think of all your friends when you get down.
Tom

nonwing 8/11/10 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatrightrear (Post 189095)
George,
I don't know you but am glad you enjoyed the track experience. I did the chemo scene last year and started radiation this week for the return bout. I have an excellent prognosis for recovery and I'll pray that you do too. Going to the races is one of the best ways for me to get away from any bad doubts and just having fun with friends watching cars go in circles and forgetting about everything else for a few hours. God bless you and think of all your friends when you get down.
Tom

Tom, first I'm very glad to hear that your prognosis for recovery is very good. I'm just sad to hear you have to endure the radiation. I hope your body tolerates the rounds of radiation down there better than I did. Of course for the past 8 years, I've "Been there, done that." so if you have any questions please let me know. You can send me a private message if you want and I'd be happy to help if I can.

The day at the races did do me a world of good. I hope to get back out soon. I must admit that going some times is rough on me because I still want to drive or at least be able to work on someone's car. Regardless, last Saturday was great.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

The Spencer's remind me an awful lot like the Hollingsworths. Super people. My son Eddie still has his Josh Spencer sweat shirt that Josh gave him 2 years ago. I try and see how you guys are doing during the summer. Best of luck the rest of the season.

I must say that I'm getting all kinds of ride offers to warm up sprint cars. All of you are too kind. My problem is... I might want to do more than just idle around. LOL.

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread. Racing people are truly the best.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Well, I just got a call from my car owner Aaron Mosley and he's willing to give this old boy a shot at wheel packin' this Saturday. As long as I can get past some of this on going chemo side affects from my last treatment, I plan to get the cob webs off of my old uniform, dust off the helmet I borrowed a few years back from Shane Hollingsworth and head down to LPS.

I must say that 3 years ago I drove a mini sprint up at Peru for Mike Buschmann and we ran third in the feature that night after I started outside the front row. Those critters reminded me of my days racing my Mom and Dad's VW midget with Shroeder steering. It plum wore me out that night without power steering. If I only had the strength to get up on the wheel we might have pulled one off...

Now granted, I'm just doing some wheel pack'n, but if it feels right? I may have to find a car owner who's willing to give this old boy a new lease on life before the next chemo treatment. LOL.

This might be weird to say, but I wonder if anyone has raced a sprint car without a colon, bladder or trail bone? Maybe Duke Cook knows of someone.... LOL

Regardless if I can get down there or not, special thanks to Aaron Mosley. I'm honored that he would let this chemo boy take a few laps and hear that motor thunder.

I'll report back after our Saturday night's wheel pack'n extravaganza.