IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Driver ID Help with Misc. Photos (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=44685)

Russ 3/23/11 11:12 PM

Driver ID Help with Misc. Photos

I've got another group of photos I need driver ID help with. Any information I have about each photos is listed below. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks again. Russ

#75 - Taken at Winchester, 29 July 1951 - this is either Bill Mackey or Jackie Holmes, both names are listed on the back of the photo - Mackey died on this day in a crash in the Joe Langley Special - does anyone know the number of that car? That would tell me who this is.

#3 - Taken in Ohio, possibly Lima in the 1970's - I can make out the last 3 letters of the driver's first name as "ene" and "ogl" of the last name on the driver's uniform.

#10J - Taken at Eldora in 1982 - car owner is Susan Petty of Petty Construction Co. - Hillsboro, IL

Union 76 Supermodified - Taken in Sandusky, Ohio in the 1970's - Driver's first name is "Don" and I can make out "All????ain" of the last name on the car.

#59 & #85 - Taken at Paragon 15 April, 1978 - I know the #59 is Danny Milburn - I'm not sure who is in the Harris Tavern #85.

rdzsprint 3/24/11 7:22 AM

Re: Driver ID Help with Misc. Photos

The Union 76 driver's name appears to be Don Albritain (this is strictly a guess). I've seen Gary Albritain race and the car says 'owner' Gary on the side. The driver's uniform sitting on the nerf bar looks like it might say Gary? Don is possibly a relative?...Dad,brother? Again this is only a guess....#75..I have a photo of this same car at Winchester listing it as 'Joe Langley's' #75 with Gene Hartley behind the wheel. But the photo was taken in 1950. If it was Langley's car that Mackey was killed in and your photo was taken at Winchester on July 29,1951 (Black Sunday) as you stated then it's most likely Mackey and could be a rare photo. I don't know how many pictures exist of Mackey on this day? I have a full article in Open Wheel about him but it's in a storage chest of over 500 old racing magazines and it'll take a while to find. William C. Gretsinger Jr. a.k.a. Bill Mackey was only 23 when he died.

racerjim2 3/24/11 10:25 AM

Don Albritton is Gary's dad. Both great racers.

Gene Franckowiak 3/24/11 11:32 AM

The # 85 appears to be Gary Ponzini for Morgan Hill, CA

Russ 3/25/11 4:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdzsprint (Post 218605)
The Union 76 driver's name appears to be Don Albritain (this is strictly a guess). I've seen Gary Albritain race and the car says 'owner' Gary on the side. The driver's uniform sitting on the nerf bar looks like it might say Gary? Don is possibly a relative?...Dad,brother? Again this is only a guess....#75..I have a photo of this same car at Winchester listing it as 'Joe Langley's' #75 with Gene Hartley behind the wheel. But the photo was taken in 1950. If it was Langley's car that Mackey was killed in and your photo was taken at Winchester on July 29,1951 (Black Sunday) as you stated then it's most likely Mackey and could be a rare photo. I don't know how many pictures exist of Mackey on this day? I have a full article in Open Wheel about him but it's in a storage chest of over 500 old racing magazines and it'll take a while to find. William C. Gretsinger Jr. a.k.a. Bill Mackey was only 23 when he died.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be 100% sure who is in the #75. I've spent quite a bit of time searching around looking for verification. I came across a head shot of Mackey in a helmet and that helmet was darker in color than the white one in this photo. I guess it's possible he had more than one helmet. The photo doesn't have a photographers stamp so I don't even know who took it. The only thing on the back is what I mentioned above. If you come across the Open Wheel article I would appreciate knowing anything helpful. At least I know now that this is probably Langley's car. Thanks for your help. Russ

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Thanks for all the responses and info. Keep them coming.

rdzsprint 3/26/11 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 218735)
Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be 100% sure who is in the #75. I've spent quite a bit of time searching around looking for verification. I came across a head shot of Mackey in a helmet and that helmet was darker in color than the white one in this photo. I guess it's possible he had more than one helmet. The photo doesn't have a photographers stamp so I don't even know who took it. The only thing on the back is what I mentioned above. If you come across the Open Wheel article I would appreciate knowing anything helpful. At least I know now that this is probably Langley's car. Thanks for your help. Russ

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Thanks for all the responses and info. Keep them coming.

I found the Open Wheel issue. It's Sept. 1985 and on page 14 it has the exact same picture that you have. According to the captioning that's Jackie Holmes driving in the photo. It's definitely Joe Langley's Troy Oil Spl. #75 and this is the same car Bill Mackey was killed in.

Russ 3/26/11 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdzsprint (Post 218847)
I found the Open Wheel issue. It's Sept. 1985 and on page 14 it has the exact same picture that you have. According to the captioning that's Jackie Holmes driving in the photo. It's definitely Joe Langley's Troy Oil Spl. #75 and this is the same car Bill Mackey was killed in.

Awesome! Thank you very much for looking that up for me. I really appreciate it. It would have been cool if it was Mackey from that day but I'm even happier finally knowing who it really is. Russ