IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Larson (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=111338)

mc/rider 10/6/19 6:25 PM

Larson

:22:

John P Huss 10/6/19 6:38 PM

Great For Larson!
:22:
Best Regards,
John

Charles Nungester 10/6/19 10:42 PM

Re: Larson

Now that he's in the next round without having to race again. He should take next weekend off and run Wakefield or wit the outlaws. Make Nascar realize how dumb their playoff system is.

jdull99 10/7/19 4:32 AM

They would never give him an exception for missing a race to go race a short track instead of the Cup race (lol)...he runs a LOT of them as it is...I know you are (most likely) not serious (about that part - he could always tank Talledega now tho...but he has to be there & take the green), but everyone on here should realize that there would most likely be NO chance Kyle would have a chance to win the Cup championship this year (he keeps getting older & Hendrick or Gibbs haven't bought out his contract...lol), at this point of the year, IF NOT FOR THE "PLAY-OFFS". Now, with 6 races to go, he is 100% for sure with a shot to be one of the final 8 battling for the championship! (I do not like the one race deal at the end; I do wish that was 3 races, somehow - but NOT making the season longer...lol) - for those that don't know, the 3 races after KS will decide who makes the four at the last race (sounds complicated, but if you don't get wrapped up in "playoff points"; its not really hard to follow)...which we can hope he is a part of!

I say embrace it. "Our" guy won a race & has a chance only 7 other guys will have to be in the "final four". Thats pretty good! Hopefully Blaney finds a way to join that list too!

...PLUS, if you look at NASCAR as a whole, open wheel guys are still in the news all around. Stenhouse, Newman, Bowman dominated the headlines the last couple weeks...Bell, Reddick, Allgaier, Briscoe, & even Annett are at the top of Xfinity (and all but Annett, can contend for the championship STILL). Tune it...there are mostly likely not a short track open wheel race on radio or TV (I don't get MAV or CBS sports, so not sure about those scheds) to catch...none of the short tracks will proly ever be on the other mediums (too bad, but reality) ever, so it's not like following NASCAR will take away from the short tracks...not even Indycars (which did have higher ratings this year) really either, as the races run at different days & times a lot (nice when both NASCAR & Indycars are on NBC channels...they even cross promote!)

ISF 10/7/19 9:18 AM

It's not all that implausible for Larson to take the week off from NASCAR to race on the dirt. After all, the driver who is chronicled as the 2015 NASCAR Cup champion did not compete in 1/3 of the races that season;). One significant rule was waived to make that possible. The same rule waiver was extended to a couple of other drivers, as well, including Tony Stewart. NASCAR has allowed some things to go on over the years that have made us all collectively go hmmmm, and Larson not racing at Talladega would be far from the most puzzling.:27:

racenut69 10/7/19 11:31 AM

Finally he has a chance to run for this "Championship"...It gives me a reason to watch Napcar the rest of the season....C Bell in the Xfinity Series,also....;)

Charles Nungester 10/7/19 11:52 AM

One of the reasons for my statement was that having a track where less than 50% of the cars finish due to (BIG ONES) in a Playoff in of itself is rediculous. Start it, Park it, GO run dirt.

jdull99 10/7/19 1:47 PM

He would at least have to start in park it, I see no way they'd give an exception so he can race somewhere else... I know about Busch winning with the "exception" (the year he broke his leg)...I agree, not a fan of that...I don't like the "exception" anywhere, nor do I like the "drop races" go-karts & others series are found of. It is what it is tho.

I'd just enjoy the fact Larson has a chance only 7 other guys will have to win the championship. (Blaney, & Bowman, are among a group of 12 trying to get in the last 8 with Larson now, actually...I kinda grouped too much together - https://www.jayski.com/nascar-cup-se...ries-playoffs/)

jdull99 10/7/19 9:42 PM

& Kyle is fired up! He has had good results (including winning the "All-star" race this year), even tho he hadn't got a point win in 75 races. Said he knows this is his last shot at taking the title at Homestead (schedule changes next year), a track he usually kicks butt at; but seems to stay out of the championship guys' way. This next "round" I keep talking about (lol), is the furthest a "Cheap Chip" Ganassi Cup team has ever gone (actly, Sterling Marlin; incidentally this time of year) in 2001, was maybe the deepest a CGR Cup driver has gone b4...& that was the point system used during the Dale Earnhardt era (lol) - there were more than one "old" points systems before the "Chase" stuff started happening...there weren't wild cards in stick & ball sports, double rounds of qualifying in winged sprint car races (lol), and lots of other stuff years ago either...enjoy what you want of what it is, I say...but I understand those that aren't interested in all of...they may miss out on some cool stuff, but ya, there is more to life. lol

jdull99 10/8/19 1:39 AM

We forgot about the "playoff points" (I don't bother thinking about them much really either...). No way he is taking off either of the next 2 races...

https://racer.com/2019/10/07/for-lar...ways-than-one/