IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015 (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=80324)

old timer 9/21/14 10:38 AM

Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015

I saw this announcment on another site and went to the race saver site and read the rules. Whi is going to tech all these rules? WOW

Scooter 9/21/14 12:10 PM

Those motors are sealed I believe?

bobbyg45 9/21/14 12:41 PM

What a joke .. many tracks have tried running 305 series and didnt work only place its worked so far is ohio wont last

Charles Nungester 9/21/14 12:49 PM

Re: Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 201

Are these non wing? If so, I got no problem with a starter class that with a few changes could race with the normal sprints.

Felt is been needed for a long time

Panama 9/21/14 1:00 PM

It is a wing class.
Here is the link to the sanction and the rules, http://www.racesaver.com/index.cfm

Dirtfan 9/21/14 1:27 PM

Bloomington, Indiana – With an eye toward the future, Bloomington Speedway plans to debut a new sprint car division at the quarter-mile oval next spring. The RaceSaver 305 sprint cars will be a regular part of the track’s traditional Friday night racing program. To introduce these machines, a demonstration is scheduled during this week’s World of Outlaws sprint car event.

The innovative RaceSaver series has grown dramatically since its birth, 14 years ago, and Speedway management is confident it will quickly become successful in Indiana. The premise behind the RaceSaver approach is making sprint car racing more affordable for those who want to compete, while maintaining the close, wheel-to-wheel competition and emphasizing the racer more than the race car.

Racing veteran French Grimes developed the concept and founded the RaceSaver organization in order to generate interest in sprint car competition in areas that had little knowledge about it, and to rekindle sprint cars racing where it had dwindled or disappeared. The basis is using a common engine head that is only available through RaceSaver, and strict adherence to a fairly simple set of rules. Importantly, the RaceSaver head limits the engine’s horsepower, thus controlling costs while at the same time promoting close racing.

Grimes estimates the entry cost to be as little as $7,500 - $10,000 for a car that could be competitive under the RaceSaver rules. Since a regular sprint car chassis is used and there are few rules governing the chassis, many competitors are saving money by making use of used cars. Likewise, there aren’t many rules for the engines, other than the required RaceSaver components, so there is flexibility in employing older engines also. Another benefit of this approach is that the engine components last longer, again yielding a significant long-term cost savings over other types of racing.

Who will fans see competing in the RaceSaver division at Bloomington Speedway? This approach puts weekly racing within the budget of many more people. For example, a long-time fan could start their own racing team and become a regular on the clay oval. It is also ideal for entry-level drivers with an interest in graduating to more powerful racing machinery after they gain valuable seat time in open wheel cars on the dirt. At other tracks well-known racing veterans, who have cut back their racing because of finances or other reasons, have been getting back on the track in the RaceSaver cars. Bloomington’s racing division is likely to include participants from all of these groups on the track at the same time.

Since 1997, the RaceSaver formula for 305 sprint cars has been the most consistent in its rules and in enforcement. Currently, ten regional organizations compete in different geographical areas, and the series has also become very popular at tracks in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Texas, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Nebraska and several other states. In its 14th year of competition, the season-ending RaceSaver Nationals is attracts cars, drivers and fans from all areas. Much more information about the rules, the cars, national activities and videos of the series in action is available at www.racesaver.com.

To help familiarize Bloomington’s fans with the new racing division, a RaceSaver sprint car that competes at Nebraska’s Eagle Raceway will be on hand at Bloomington Speedway for this Friday’s World of Outlaws race, and an on-track demonstration is planned.

mlamb 9/21/14 2:16 PM

I gotta question for you Dirtfan, is there currently any track in the country that runs NW 410s along with winged 305s? All the winged 305s I know of run in conjunction with either winged 360s or winged 410s. I was just wondering has this ever been tried before?

LocalYokel 9/21/14 2:17 PM

Anything that can get people on the track more affordably is great. However, after a quick google search to see what the cost of a race saver 305 costs, you could put together a good 410 non wing car for the same price... Bummer.

old timer 9/21/14 3:08 PM

What is the purse?

Dirtfan 9/21/14 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlamb (Post 392998)
I gotta question for you Dirtfan, is there currently any track in the country that runs NW 410s along with winged 305s? All the winged 305s I know of run in conjunction with either winged 360s or winged 410s. I was just wondering has this ever been tried before?

I can't recall any,however I'm sure someone can answer this better than me.....closest 305's run in Ohio maybe?

hoosierhillbilly 9/21/14 4:10 PM

Attica and fremont run 305s with 410s but they are not raceceiver. Atlomic the track formerly known as kc is planning on the raceceivers 2015.

The Fanthom 9/21/14 6:53 PM

How is splitting your field going to help? This stuff does not work to increase counts. Are we going to run 5 classes now?

Nick Corea 9/21/14 8:38 PM

Everyone keeps forgetting that a "low-dollar" sprint car division already exists in Indiana. Paragon Speedway. And it works quite well, too. Used 410 engines are plentiful and affordable in Indiana. Plus, you can take your Paragon car to other Indiana tracks.
Will the Racesaver series work in Indiana? We shall see. Personally, a winged, under-powered sprint car division doesn't sound very appealing to me as a (now) spectator. But... If they displace a stock car division, I just might enjoy it.

Kinser11 9/21/14 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old timer (Post 393007)
What is the purse?

When the 360's started they cut the purse in half of a 410 race.

I am sure they will use the same formula, as they did then I would say 25% of a 410 purse.

It is a proven fact the only thing a 360 did was cut the purses, their is no other advantage to a 360 class.

nathans1012 9/21/14 11:30 PM

Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015

Hope this works out. I'd like to see some thing like this in the northern part of the state. For *those* who cut down the stock car/ lower classes remember those guys put just as much effort in to what they can afford to race as do those open wheel cars you all speak so highly of. If it wasn't for these other classes some of you don't like tracks may not always be able to afford the payout they post each week. Respect and Thank you are words that in my opinion aren't used enough in racing. For the promoters and track owners doing what they can to keep racing affordable and keep tracks open & racers and teams trying their best to keep the cars on the track I applaud you for your efforts. Without you there wouldn't be any racing to begin with. For me racing is racing. I try to stay and watch the whole show when I'm at the races weather it's dirt, Asphalt, Oval, dragstrip/ Mud bog, road course, land, water, or air (Red Bull Air Races), 2 wheel or 4 wheel. I don't care what type it is. It may not always be easy because promoter and racer don't get along but at least try to appreciate both sides. Racing is the most expensive sport in the world. Promoters, officials, drivers, & teams do what they can to keep the sport going. For the many times I hear people moan and grown about the lower classes, to many classes, long night it was, ect..., remember what effort it take even with daily JOBS to keep it all going. For those that don't like the lower classes and leave before they race. I challenge you to stay the whole night and watch. Some times the lower classes put on the best races and I've seen they happen a lot over the years more then you might think.

P.S. Good luck to Bloomington Speedway in their new adventure with the Racesaver 305 Wing Sprint Car class in 2015. :32::23::41:::24::42:::22::6:

drob201 9/22/14 12:12 AM

Id love to see this 410 motor you can build for the same price. Not to mention these 305's last 2 years or 100 + races...... and only needs rings. !10,000 to build brand new, 410 ares 50,000 and need refreshed ever 15 races for about 10 grand minimum....not to mention they are only a fraction of a second slower per lap than a non wing 410

LocalYokel 9/22/14 12:20 AM

Lots of local guys in Indiana that are very competitive with USAC and run twice a weekend have around 8-12k invested in there motor. Most buy used motors from the bigger teams, and only need to refresh them once a year, unless something catastrophic happens of course. I don't think more than maybe 4 or 5 teams running weekly in Indiana have 40k or anywhere even close to that in there motor.

As far as the race saver purse. I believe it pays between $500-350 to win, with everyone who makes the feature going home with at least $150.

LocalYokel 9/22/14 12:25 AM

Here's an example of an affordable engine in the classified section...
https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...578&styleid=17

A motor that would be very competitive at any weekly Indiana track for 15k.
The beauty of non wing sprint cars is that horsepower isn't too terribly important.

Hotshoe65s 9/22/14 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Corea (Post 393054)
Everyone keeps forgetting that a "low-dollar" sprint car division already exists in Indiana. Paragon Speedway. And it works quite well, too. Used 410 engines are plentiful and affordable in Indiana. Plus, you can take your Paragon car to other Indiana tracks.
Will the Racesaver series work in Indiana? We shall see. Personally, a winged, under-powered sprint car division doesn't sound very appealing to me as a (now) spectator. But... If they displace a stock car division, I just might enjoy it.

Yeah! That's the spirit. I hope they get rid of one of the successful stock car divisions so they can run the underpowered, no-passing wing sprints. Cause we all know those stock car classes have absolutely no right to race on the same track. It's not like they work on their cars during the week, spend their hard earned money to support the track, or pay the same pit pass fee. Nooo, they are freeloaders and don't need a place to race...

(^^^^ Complete sarcasm ^^^^)

I don't care if they run wing sprints. I wish them the best in whatever they decide to do. I just like to fight back against the people who act like sprint cars are the only thing that deserve to be on the track.
Rant over lol

flagboy55 9/22/14 4:29 AM

I think we all understand the economics of support classes. And anyone who has been around the track awhile knows the dedication effort and sacrifice people put into racing, at almost all levels. That said, just because i spent my paycheck and stayed in the garage till 3 in the morning 4 nights in a row to get my street stock to the track this weekend, doesn't necessarily mean anyone wants to watch me race. Another fear of a real low buck sprint class, while i like the idea of getting more people a chance to try it, it could also lead to a lot of work for push trucks pushing off beginners who are spinning out all time while they learn to race. I mean we all got to start somewhere, i just don't care to watch

the_77H 9/22/14 7:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotshoe65s (Post 393082)
Yeah! That's the spirit. I hope they get rid of one of the successful stock car divisions so they can run the underpowered, no-passing wing sprints. Cause we all know those stock car classes have absolutely no right to race on the same track. It's not like they work on their cars during the week, spend their hard earned money to support the track, or pay the same pit pass fee. Nooo, they are freeloaders and don't need a place to race...

(^^^^ Complete sarcasm ^^^^)

I don't care if they run wing sprints. I wish them the best in whatever they decide to do. I just like to fight back against the people who act like sprint cars are the only thing that deserve to be on the track.
Rant over lol

There will always be those type of people, and you'll never be able to change their mind. "Them there cars have fenders and starters, there's no way they could possibly put on a good show." But hey, let me go pay 35 bucks to watch a really fast train run a single groove for 30 laps (and then complain the next day because the racing wasn't any good). If they're smart, they won't drop a support class. Because that'll give the "sprint car only crowd" more time to pound back some beers during heat races, then they can all leave after the sprint feature like normal.

nathan48moore 9/22/14 8:25 AM

The 305 race saver class is huge. It works. In the Dallas area of Texas there are roughly 200 cars. It's growing and I know when I left they put on good shows and were only a .5 second slower than 360 cars. Inverting fields will make the racing exciting. The problem is to think a sprintcar is cheap. Sure you can build a car for 10k but to be competitive, different story. It's racing and it's not cheap. I spend the same amount racing 410 as I did 305. Don't be fooled there are 25k racesaver motors. New tires, bars, all still help. Good way to get a wing class started. But to say sprint car and cheap in the same sentence!!!

oppweld 9/22/14 9:22 AM

If you want a competitive slot car class, mirror the sportsman cars of PA. Smaller top wing, no nose wing. Onboard starter and lots of cars.

kcarm92 9/22/14 9:35 AM

looks like a lot of teching to do to check engines, plus if rule are enforced says you cant drive your car back to your trailer as to be shut off at track exit and pushed back lol what a joke,

flagboy55 9/22/14 9:47 AM

Don't get me wrong, i hope it works. It certainly won't keep me away. When i go to the track, i go to see the top class. I understand that the lower classes can put on good races. You probably have good little league baseball games too, but unless a family member or friend is playing, I'm not going. Same for support classes. God bless all of you, but those classes are more participant driven than spectator driven.

Crankin 9/22/14 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyg45 (Post 392974)
what a joke .. Many tracks have tried running 305 series and didnt work only place its worked so far is ohio wont last

Quote:

Originally Posted by localyokel (Post 392999)
however, after a quick google search to see what the cost of a race saver 305 costs, you could put together a good 410 non wing car for the same price... Bummer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the fanthom (Post 393034)
how is splitting your field going to help? This stuff does not work to increase counts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick corea (Post 393054)
personally, a winged, under-powered sprint car division doesn't sound very appealing to me as a (now) spectator. But... If they displace a stock car division, i just might enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinser11 (Post 393070)
it is a proven fact the only thing a 360 did was cut the purses, their is no other advantage to a 360 class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 393083)
another fear of a real low buck sprint class, while i like the idea of getting more people a chance to try it, it could also lead to a lot of work for push trucks pushing off beginners who are spinning out all time while they learn to race. I mean we all got to start somewhere, i just don't care to watch

Quote:

Originally Posted by oppweld (Post 393098)
if you want a competitive slot car class, mirror the sportsman cars of PA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcarm92 (Post 393099)
looks like a lot of teching to do to check engines, plus if rule are enforced says you cant drive your car back to your trailer as to be shut off at track exit and pushed back lol what a joke,

Welcome to Indiana!

:17:

DAD 9/22/14 9:55 AM

Just like NASCAR has to reinvent itself every year or so to make itself more exciting to the fans in the stands and the fans watching TV also, perhaps support short track classes need to reinvent themselves and racing procedures. Two abreast restarts in stock cars is one approach, I guess it does beat inline restarts.

I ask myself why do we pay for feature performance only? What about the heat races, a lot of racers work hard for the heat position only to be rebuked by drawing a a lousy pill for the feature starting position. With the computers that we have now a better system could be devised for starting scoring and paying out winners.

The fast guys want to start on the pole so they can move out and move on without interference from the slower cars. That makes sense to me, but does it make for good racing for the race fans? I don't think so. When the faster car come up to lapped traffic and they usually do>>> that is when racing problems begin. The slower guy is racing for his position and is probably not anticipating getting lapped, he therefore races hard to hold onto that position (Who is really watching the flagman for a layover flag?) A lot of racing accidents accrue when lapping back markers, Rich Vogler always comes to my mind.

Why not pay heats (divide purse between heats and features), award passing points (for championship purposes) and start features inverted of heat finishes. Give the hard chargers something to race for other than a hard charger award Maybe even pay special bonus for the guy that starts from the back and wins. It would make for great racing for the fan, pay the racer that put forth extraordinary efforts, and help eliminate that dangerous job of passing lapped cars toward the end of an event.

With transponders available to track owners we might even start to qualify again doing so in packs, that would definitely add more excitement to the racing. If qualifying was also payed just as heats and features we could probably even eliminate some "sandbagging".

In the end I think we would end up with more competitive races and maybe also make racing a little safer for the racers.

Honest Dad himself:6::6:

Jim Gardner 9/22/14 10:21 AM

Why start a new class when the Lightning Sprints are already around looking for quality tracks to run? The cars are cheaper to operate than these 305s will be and I'm certain that the purse is cheaper. (I highly doubt that guys running winged 305s will be happy with 400-500 to win and 100 or so to start) Also, the head of the MMSA and lead distributor of parts, chassis, and engines is headquartered in the backyard. Most of the guys running that series aren't but an hour away so car count should be ok even to start. Perhaps work with Linton to run bi weekly and actually build a young class instead of start something brand new.

bobbyg45 9/22/14 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Gardner (Post 393106)
Why start a new class when the Lightning Sprints are already around looking for quality tracks to run? The cars are cheaper to operate than these 305s will be and I'm certain that the purse is cheaper. (I highly doubt that guys running winged 305s will be happy with 400-500 to win and 100 or so to start) Also, the head of the MMSA and lead distributor of parts, chassis, and engines is headquartered in the backyard. Most of the guys running that series aren't but an hour away so car count should be ok even to start. Perhaps work with Linton to run bi weekly and actually build a young class instead of start something brand new.

Exactly i agree

Nick Corea 9/22/14 11:05 AM

Emotionally charged over-reactions. Non-experts stating bogus "facts". Imaginative assumptions. These are just some of the things that make Indiana Open Wheel so entertaining.

cmiracingvids 9/22/14 11:05 AM

Quote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm pretty sure lightning sprints used to run weekly at Bloomington anyway. I know a home track is needed for us, and Bloomington is perfect. Like you said, most of our drivers are very close to Bloomington if not from there. Home tracks make sponsorship much easier to obtain as well.

DAD 9/22/14 11:13 AM

Jim

I'm with you. Support class racing and traveling don't go well together. After racing at Montpelier a few times I kind of like their position on "Sportsman Midgets". There are a lot of Focus Midgets, Kenyon Midgets, 1200cc Mini Sprints and even 600cc Upright Mini Sprints that could add to the excitement and the car count.

I am amazed at how well a 1000cc Midget can perform with the slightly older Midgets. If these 1000cc cars had been available back in the 90"s one of them could have possibly won the Chili Bowl, that is hard to believe. By keeping the rules basic and Minimal, Montpelier and other track that follow their outline could develop a very competitive form of Midget racing.

If racing orginizations would only set guide lines for the racer to follow and did not make rules that forced racers into a cookie cutter type race car and engine, I think racing would continue to improve and the cost of racing might actually come down.

Why show up at Eldora to race when you know that you would be racing for 5th place money at best and take the chance of blowing up a very expensive although slightly outdated and uncompetitive power plant. If I knew that I would not be racing for First place Money then it is time I start looking for that Hot Air Balloon and develop a taste for wine and campaign.

Honest Dad himself:6::6:

lovindirt 9/22/14 11:32 AM

as was already said who's going to tech these things; if they're sealed we won't run like that because we build our own engines; and are they going to continue to run the original class of sprints. if they continue to run the original classic sprints then we'll come from the GasCity area down there to run. since gas city is going to be doing something different. that is the word anyways. but I planned on running the original sprint class next year

Jonr 9/22/14 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan48moore (Post 393096)
The 305 race saver class is huge. It works. In the Dallas area of Texas there are roughly 200 cars. It's growing and I know when I left they put on good shows and were only a .5 second slower than 360 cars. Inverting fields will make the racing exciting. The problem is to think a sprintcar is cheap. Sure you can build a car for 10k but to be competitive, different story. It's racing and it's not cheap. I spend the same amount racing 410 as I did 305. Don't be fooled there are 25k racesaver motors. New tires, bars, all still help. Good way to get a wing class started. But to say sprint car and cheap in the same sentence!!!

When they first started in DFW, they had many of the same critics and complaints, but it has grown. I am not sure if they are still doing this in DFW, but one of the tennants of the class was to eliminate the top end pay but boost starting pay. It was not unheard of to race for $300 to win, but $200 to start. I took the following text directly from the racsaver web site.

Did you know that the average sprint car purse pays the winner 10 times the amount earned by the 24th place car? Races run under RACESAVER® plan pay the 24th starter at least 1/2 of the winner's purse. A typical purse would pay the winner between $150 to $300 and the 24th starter $100 to $150. No, that isn't a lot of money, but that is exactly the plan. Big money, brings big problems. You can be competitive for under $150 per night. Now you can race, pay the mortgage, and send the kids to school. RACESAVER® growth is very strong. We now have over 600 cars competing in RACESAVER® regions and tracks. The present and future of affordable racing is RACESAVER® . Join us and race better and more often, while spending far less money.

KKinser99 9/22/14 12:32 PM

Quote:

They are happy at paragon speedway with 500 to win and 100 to start. Have pretty consistant car cant and have not seen a whole lot of complaining about 500 to win.

TQ29m 9/22/14 1:54 PM

Hasn't it almost always been upside down, at least from my perspective, then along comes some extra money, and where does it go, right to the top, it really doesn't matter what you race, the "get there, get in" expenses are pretty well similar for most of the cars on the track, with few exceptions, and I also agree with the comments about a "home" track, that again begins to add some equality to the bottom line, that's where tracks like Paragon fit, and Keith has had that figured out for a long time, everyone has to start somewhere, and I wonder how many have started at a track like Paragon, there is something to be said in support of the "regulars", be it whatever class, and at todays costs, for the racers and track owners, for it to continue, it has to be equalized somewhere, it should be obvious by now, there are few racers who can make a living at it, probably 95% just do it because they love it, and enjoy it. JMHO! Bob

Great Scott 9/22/14 2:18 PM

Are there any other tracks in the area that are gonna run these 305s next year? It seems that we could use a Saturday night track to go with Bloomington to give racers a couple of nights to race each weekend. Having 2 races a weekend might pull some guys in from farther distances periodically.

HurstBros0 9/22/14 3:42 PM

If you just want to pad the back gate so it pays the purse... Don`t start the one off crap. Have a 500 to win Hornet show... Have a 1500 to win UMRA show... Have a big money mini sprint show... Have a big purse crate late model show... These are already established classes that have a car count to pad your gate. Bloomington is not the DFW Metroplex that will spawn 200 cheap sprint cars overnight to run for 300 dollars to win... The tow bill and expenses are more than that. Use what is already available and promote these ventures. Learn from history so you don`t create the same failures.

DaveP63 9/22/14 5:46 PM

How about we give it a chance before we **** all over it.

The Fanthom 9/22/14 6:49 PM

Allright, apparently we arent allowed to discuss it. Case closed folks. I am going to remember this post and come October next year, I'll be glad to eat my words. Will you?