IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine flush (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=73382)

headbuttu 11/14/13 12:50 AM

Engine flush

Hi I am chasing people knowledge and advice.

When finished racing a part of our maintenance schedule is to flush all methanol and spray everything with WD40. Remove plugs and coat bores in same.

I was told to make up small fuel can reconfigure my lines to run gasoline through the engine after restarting. This would the empty the majority of the methanol and run. Fuel as a lubricant through the system preventing need to strip down parts of engine to cover with WD40.

What's your thoughts.

badcoupe 11/14/13 12:55 AM

Re: Engine flush

you can do it like that although beware most of the fuel you get from the pump has a decent percentage of ethanol which is no better than methanol.

TQ29m 11/14/13 11:19 AM

I'd have to say I agree with Badcoupe, to a degree, I've used alcohol as a racing fuel for longer than I care to think about, I also have used a GOOD upper lube, in all those years, and if you use Klotz UPLON, the things you need to flush are minimal, the barrel valve is especially critical, I drain it, blow it and the lines to the nozzles out, and treat them to a generous amount of Marvel Mystery oil, I leave the main supply lines and the ones to the injection full of fuel, I've found that storing them wet does a better job, keeps the lines pliable, and when it comes time to get er goin in the spring, then I just flush everything with fresh fuel, with upper lube, and it's ready to go. KLOTZ is some good stuff, you will put a halt to a lot of problems if you'll use it, it doesn't take much, couple of ounces per gallon, it not only keeps your fuel fresh, but it also coats the runners in the injection, and heads with a fine thin coating of the lube, that in case you lose an air cleaner, that will catch most of the dirt the engine is injesting, as well as keeps the cylinders from being dry, as they are with just plain alky, and helps the rings seal without wearing them out so quick, lubes everything it touches. Bob

BillJackson 11/18/13 2:10 PM

It can if the flush is not done properly. One of the side effects of an engine flush is that it moves any slush or dirt that is in the engine to another location. Sometimes that slush is what is keeping things running as they should. Here are steps you might consider taking:

1.) Check your engine oil. Make sure you are not low on oil.
2.) Buy a can of cleaner for your fuel system, fill your car with high quality fuel (not regular) gas and put in the fuel system cleaner
3.) Drive the car for 20-30 minutes.

If it's still knocking or acting strange, see an auto mechanic.

jjones752 11/18/13 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJackson (Post 357826)
It can if the flush is not done properly. One of the side effects of an engine flush is that it moves any slush or dirt that is in the engine to another location. Sometimes that slush is what is keeping things running as they should. Here are steps you might consider taking:

1.) Check your engine oil. Make sure you are not low on oil.
2.) Buy a can of cleaner for your fuel system, fill your car with high quality fuel (not regular) gas and put in the fuel system cleaner
3.) Drive the car for 20-30 minutes.

If it's still knocking or acting strange, see an auto mechanic.

this sounds like good advice....for a passenger car.