Indiana Open Wheel
Page 1 of 9 Last

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2010 midget rule change? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=26793)

RacingFan 12/9/09 1:47 PM

2010 midget rule change?

Just a concerned fan...

USAC is considering mandating a rev limiter on the national midget division for 2010, under 9000 RPMs?

While I agree some sort of engine cost control would be in order...

How do you police it?

Why do you penalize the many Esslinger motors that dont hit their powerband until 9000+?

Its easy to limit the MSD box with a chip, but Electromotive? Old-style Magneto?

Perhaps the national series would be better suited as a "toyota" spec series requiring everyone to purchase new $40k motors. Thats good cost control.

Just another rule that the rich guys can spend money to find a way to go faster, and the little guy cant compete.

I hope this wasnt true. Maybe someone in Orlando can give us an update. At one time, this was the best racing in the country.

Kevracer58 12/9/09 2:18 PM

Re: 2010 midget rule change?

Is it the perfect solution? No
Will it help? Somewhat, at least it's a step in the right direction

We don't need another spec racing series.

modirt19 12/9/09 4:21 PM

Wonder who came up with this bright idea?
It looks like to me Toyota behind this since their motors hit the the power about 8800-9000 rpm.
Don't forget about how USAC needs to operate-$$$$$$$
Maybe go to a 8" wide RR

buck2 12/9/09 4:39 PM

Mistake in my opinion. Forcing the racers to redesign/retune engines is going to hurt the car count and they need all the cars they can get with sponsors pulling out and teams leaving the series. If they want to help the series, they need to do something to reduce costs not increase them.

spankytoo 12/9/09 5:15 PM

Originally Posted by modirt19:
wonder who came up with this bright idea?
It looks like to me toyota behind this since their motors hit the the power about 8800-9000 rpm.
Don't forget about how usac needs to operate-$$$$$$$
maybe go to a 8" wide rr

spec right rear - a round rock is all they need
:15:

Modocer 57 12/9/09 7:46 PM

Has Don M. changed has board name.

Heromaker 12/9/09 8:19 PM

Originally Posted by modirt19:
Wonder who came up with this bright idea?
It looks like to me Toyota behind this since their motors hit the the power about 8800-9000 rpm.
Don't forget about how USAC needs to operate-$$$$$$$
Maybe go to a 8" wide RR

The wonderful guys at USAC that want to make sure Toyota is happy so they have vehicles to drive around.....

Originally Posted by buck2:
Mistake in my opinion. Forcing the racers to redesign/retune engines is going to hurt the car count and they need all the cars they can get with sponsors pulling out and teams leaving the series. If they want to help the series, they need to do something to reduce costs not increase them.

They don't care. They would rather LIE, and yes I said LIE, to the racers and tell us how they are protecting us from ourselves......

Originally Posted by Kevracer58:
Is it the perfect solution? No
Will it help? Somewhat, at least it's a step in the right direction

We don't need another spec racing series.

Well how is it a good idea if you make 75% of your members have to spend thousands of dollars to be competative and allow all Toyota users (all of which are free motor deals) to not have to change a thing.

What is all boils down to is USAC is listening to a manufacture, and not the members that make these races happen. Maybe now is time to start another series and finally sink USAC

MAXIMHATER 12/9/09 8:43 PM

so lets keep it how it is and it will be a spec esslinger series the last time i looked esslinger has never sponsored usac.This will help midget racing the guys that dont have to crank there motors more to keep up with esslingers it will level out the engine deal and it will save people money

Lucky161 12/9/09 8:56 PM

Is it just me or has Toyota hurt every series they have run in?

I wasn't a big fan of VW midgets when they first came around, but I am thinking they would be the way to go anymore. They might not be competitive anymore with all those special engines, but if they only had to run against other VW midgets, I think the racing would be better.

Fontana180 12/9/09 9:16 PM

This will raise a stink but here goes.... NOW enters Traction Control !!!