Indiana Open Wheel
Page 1 of 2

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bigelow vs. Darland (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=79774)

ronmil 8/25/14 4:27 PM

Bigelow vs. Darland

Just curious, does anyone have statistics on how many starts, and how many seasons it took Tom Bigelow and Dave Darland to reach their feature win totals?

JarrettFarms73 8/25/14 4:36 PM

I don't have stats but DD laughed in the interview that Bigelow reminded him he got 52 in 12 years.

Wouldn't mind seeing the stats myself. Two of the greatest that's ever been.

racefan20 8/25/14 5:05 PM

Re: Bigelow vs. Darland

I'm sure Ritchie has it somewhere.

richie 8/25/14 5:48 PM

Originally Posted by racefan20:
I'm sure Richie has it somewhere.

For statistical purposes only:

Tom Bigelow:
First career USAC Sprint Car win: April 6, 1969 at Eldora Speedway
Last career USAC Sprint Car win: July 30, 1981 at Beaver Dam Raceway
**A span of 12 years, 3 months, and 25 days.

Dave Darland:
First career USAC Sprint Car win: May 2, 1993 at the Terre Haute Action Track
Most recent USAC Sprint Car win: August 24, 2014 at Kokomo Speedway
**A span of 21 years, 3 months, and 23 days.

PIT CART 8/25/14 5:58 PM

Thanks Richie

racegal 8/25/14 6:19 PM

Wow!! Is my math correct?? Tom Bigelow held the record for 33 years??
It was a true honor to meet this great man in person! :9:
I feel very blessed to have been there!

Charles Nungester 8/25/14 6:41 PM

Id be interested to know total number of sprint races, In both time periods.

racefan20 8/25/14 8:56 PM

I knew I could count on you :D

2140rc 8/25/14 9:06 PM

A great accomplishment. But as they say you can't compare results from different eras. Bigelow won the vast majority of his races on 1/2 mile tracks. Many, if not most, of Darland's wins were on shorter 1/4 mile tracks. And Bigelow also won races on the paved tracks including the high banks. Someone here will know for sure but off the top of my head I can't remember Darland ever winning a USAC sprint car race on a paved track. Don't get me wrong Darland is one of the best ever in USAC. But it would also be hard to find any sprint car driver whose record would match that of Bigelow for overall versatility.

Kirk Spridgeon 8/25/14 9:27 PM

I believe Darland has won at Winchester, Salem, & Toledo. Maybe Cedar Rapids too? Probably 5 pavement wins for him in an era dominated by Hines & Steele.

If there were more races on big tracks in his era, Darland's numbers would likely be higher. He has always been good on bigger tracks, with wins at Terre Haute, Eldora, Oskaloosa, Perris, Manzanita, Port Royal & Hartford just off the top of my head.

Blackduce 8/25/14 9:38 PM

Interesting thought. How many more different great drivers in 2 decades did Dave have to face and beat versus the one decade Tom had to. The best part is I am old enough to remember the excitement these two great drivers provided for millions of people who was as lucky as I. And I am so thankful for this. There is no other sport to provide the memories we all have.

Lynn

treecitytornado 8/25/14 9:55 PM

Mr. Big got his 52nd Win in 1981, but may have been the All-Time leader before that date!

racegal 8/25/14 9:59 PM

Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
Mr. Big got his 52nd Win in 1981, but may have been the All-Time leader before that date!

True!!

retired14 8/25/14 10:05 PM

:6: No matter how you compare them or stack them up, or try to figure out who you would want to put in your car-------How would you like to have had a 2 car team, and have both of them driving for you? Be worth watching, I'd say.

ossuks 8/25/14 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by retired14:
:6: No matter how you compare them or stack them up, or try to figure out who you would want to put in your car-------How would you like to have had a 2 car team, and have both of them driving for you? Be worth watching, I'd say.

Very true... and both of these men were "most popular" of their era ( most likely due to the nature of their personality and time they spent with the fans).

The only comparison I could make is Tom spent most of his career in top equipment ( knepper 55 and armstrond 43) and Dave seemed to never be as appreciated as several owners (huge mistake) seemed to think they could find better ( Dave spent a few years in the Artic Cat car that others called the "penalty box").

racegal 8/25/14 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ossuks:
Very true... and both of these men were "most popular" of their era ( most likely due to the nature of their personality and time they spent with the fans).

The only comparison I could make is Tom spent most of his career in top equipment ( knepper 55 and armstrond 43) and Dave seemed to never be as appreciated as several owners (huge mistake) seemed to think they could find better ( Dave spent a few years in the Artic Cat car that others called the "penalty box").

And most likely would have won the championship in it if not for the Eldora accident.
(I never heard it called that though)

ronmil 8/26/14 12:10 AM

Some interesting comments! Glad that I have had the pleasure of watching both Tom and Dave during their illustrious careers.

cowboyhar69 8/26/14 7:52 AM

We won with Dave driving the #69 at Cedar Rapids ....and it was a J&J pavement car. The old memory is fading and I can't remember if it was in 1998 or in 99 when Dave won the championship....I do remember stopping at the I-70 rest stop west of Plainfield and Dave's dad Bob dropping him off and he rode to Cedar Rapids with us in the HAR rig.

sw1911 8/26/14 9:25 AM

Same point as Charles, would be interesting to see % of starts won.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smith19 8/26/14 9:26 AM

just wondering how many of the wins in the armstrong car was won with the nitro...tom was a great driver wish that had never happened!!!

openwheelfan1 8/26/14 11:59 AM

Taking nothing away from Tom Bigelow, but certainly some of his wins in the Armstrong car were "suspect". Not only was the Armstrong car suspected of using nitro in the fuel, but they also were suspected of using parts that were illegal, in both the engine and the rest of the car. I personally don't know if any of the rumors were proven true, but the accusations sure were flying in that time period.

smith19 8/26/14 12:05 PM

they got caught at queen city speeedway in 1977 with nitro run through the cage.

treecitytornado 8/26/14 1:06 PM

The old saying, it isn't cheating until you get caught. Many of Jack Hewitt's wins were with nitro or propolene oxide. This is info from someone that ran against him in the Champ Cars in the 80s and early 90s. There are many more that have used hot fuel or other things to Win. It is what it is!

heidegger75 8/27/14 10:37 AM

I looked through some old USAC yearbooks to find some answers.

On May 28, 1979, Tom Bigelow won his 43rd USAC sprint car race at Dayton Speedway to tie Larry Dickson for the all-time lead. He broke the tie on June 16, 1979 at Salem Speedway. I don't know for certain how many starts it took, as USAC only printed the top 12 finishers through 1980, but Bigelow ran 31 of 39 races that year and finished the season with 339 starts.

As noted, his 52nd and final victory came on July 30, 1981 in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. He made 9 further starts that season, ending with 376, so his 52nd win came in his 367th start.

The most recent yearbook in my possession is 2005. At the end of 2005, Darland had 20 wins in 304 starts.

smith19 8/27/14 12:13 PM

mr. stapp are you cheating....:31: :D

turn4 8/27/14 4:55 PM

I watched Don Branson run sprints when he held the record for most wins. I think he had 36? wins.

flatout18 8/28/14 7:17 AM

Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
The old saying, it isn't cheating until you get caught. Many of Jack Hewitt's wins were with nitro or propolene oxide. This is info from someone that ran against him in the Champ Cars in the 80s and early 90s. There are many more that have used hot fuel or other things to Win. It is what it is!

Any idea when the last time USAC checked cubes on any engines was? All I ever see them check is weight. Just curious

racegal 8/28/14 11:37 AM

I wonder who has the 3rd most wins and how many they have?

richie 8/28/14 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by racegal:
I wonder who has the 3rd most wins and how many they have?

Tracy Hines and Jack Hewitt are tied in third place with 46 wins each.

grumpy racer 8/28/14 1:00 PM

Originally Posted by flatout18:
Any idea when the last time USAC checked cubes on any engines was? All I ever see them check is weight. Just curious

They checked my engine at lawence burge this year also taken fuel sample numerous times checked rr offset numerous times took rr tire sample at kokomo sprint week checked for titaneium rods at burg can not say about other teams most people are on way home when this happens

Steve 8/28/14 5:42 PM

Does anybody know how many A mains Dave has won, Sprint , Midget, and Silvercrown. And I am also talking non USAC?

Thanks

racenut69 8/28/14 5:57 PM

They should check sooner and check all cars!!!..Hmmm...:11:

Originally Posted by grumpy racer:
They checked my engine at lawence burge this year also taken fuel sample numerous times checked rr offset numerous times took rr tire sample at kokomo sprint week checked for titaneium rods at burg can not say about other teams most people are on way home when this happens

racegal 8/28/14 7:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steve:
Does anybody know how many A mains Dave has won, Sprint , Midget, and Silvercrown. And I am also talking non USAC?

Thanks

I wish I knew that! Who could know for sure!?

Dick Monahan 8/28/14 7:55 PM

Originally Posted by Steve:
Does anybody know how many A mains Dave has won, Sprint , Midget, and Silvercrown. And I am also talking non USAC? Thanks

This means you haven't sprung for the book yet? :-) At the end, he says that Kevin Eckert told him that Turkey Night '07 was Dave's 179th win. So Dave figures he now is somewhere around 220.

BTW, it's a good book. You should buy it.

i love dirt track racing 8/28/14 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by grumpy racer:

I would say that they don't have anyone on site that would break down a engine. If they did you would have heard someone say something about it.they have to take care of their big dogs. And that would take away from the usac president huge salary.

trecraft 8/29/14 12:19 AM

Can anyone post a Tom Bigelow autograph? :9: Some people I know would stand in line at the next race just to get another. :) As I remember it was a mouse or something like that. :11:

EPSpeed 8/29/14 5:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an example of his autograph from about 1977.

ronmil 8/29/14 1:52 PM

Originally Posted by trecraft:
Can anyone post a Tom Bigelow autograph? :9: Some people I know would stand in line at the next race just to get another. :) As I remember it was a mouse or something like that. :11:

Yes, he did always draw a caricature of Mickey Mouse when he signed. Got his autograph many decades ago, at DuQuoin, I think. Actually, I got it multiple times, but I have a small notebook that I kept for what I considered my permanent autograph collection. I got several autographs over the years on racing programs, too, from many drivers. I was fortunate to get Don Branson and Jud Larson to sign at DuQuoin in 1965. DuQuoin was a good place to get a lot of autographs back in the day.

racegal 11/23/14 11:38 AM

Who has the most USAC wins over all? Sprint Midget and Silver Crowns?
And with how many?
It seems like Tracey Hines is tied with a couple other guys.
Does anyone know? Thanks!!

jmo8 11/27/14 10:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by trecraft:

Here are two that I forgot I had in storage until your post. I scanned them with my computer and happy to share them with everyone.