IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brad Loyet and Russ Harper flip sequence (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=1371)

illiNOISE 10/8/07 8:21 AM

Brad Loyet and Russ Harper flip sequence

Credit goes again to Jimmy Dearing of STLracing.com for the pics. This was one scary looking ride for both guys, but it sounds like both drivers are going to be OK. They announced that Harper gave a thumbs up as they loaded him into the ambulance to take him for observation.

http://www.stlracing.com/forums/show...hreadid=102789

SpfldMile 10/8/07 10:37 AM

Re: Brad Loyet and Russ Harper flip sequence

I didn't see either guy hit the wall, but Loyet definitely got the heighth award. Wow, he was up there. It seemed like that wreck was just about over when Harper took off. He was shaken up more than Loyet. I think he came down hard one time right on the nose. I was down more in the first turn, so I didn't see it great. I heard the announcer say that Harper is OK when I was leaving after the race. Loyet was reeling in the Coondog, it would have been an interesting finish. I'm glad everyone is OK.

Marty Boyer 10/8/07 10:52 AM

Russ Harper's dad Bill called me to give me a little info on his son last night.

He said Russ had a catscan done and it came back (normal) so that was good. He is being held over-night for lung contusions and a sore upper back. Russ is awake and alert in his room and joking around and they are hoping to get him released sometime tommorrow.

SpfldMile 10/8/07 10:56 AM

Also, I wanted to ask anyone who was there. What did you think of the new track. The 3/8 is definitely an improvement over that round quarter they had. I will really miss the half mile though, especially for sprint cars. I know Jerry Coons said last night that he wasn't too fond of the half, but I've seen some damn good races on it. That being said, the new lights were good and the facility looked nice. You gotta love promoters putting money back in the track.

Andrew S. Quinn 10/8/07 11:50 AM

I miss the 1/4 mile track. Good riddance to the 1/2 mile track. The 3/8 mile track is much better.

dirtnonwingfan 10/8/07 12:06 PM

Last night was my first at the new track. The new lighting system system is excellent. Also, you can actually hear the announcer and get the lineups of each race. MY only concern, having been at the Berg the night before and seeing a sprinter get through the catch fence, is that the fence along the front straight is the old one. The concrete wall can't be much more than 2 feet high and I don't know that the fence could stop a sprinter. I hope they upgrade that during the winter. Other than that, and the fact that they said all night that the sprint feature was a 40 lap race and they flagged it at the end of 30 laps, I was impressed. Sure hope they get some non-wing races there next year. I look forward to returning.

Frank Daigh

illiNOISE 10/8/07 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan (Post 13512)
they said all night that the sprint feature was a 40 lap race and they flagged it at the end of 30 laps

They said in the driver's meeting that the feature was 30 laps. Besides, I'm not sure anyone could make a solid case that running another 10 laps would have had much chance of changing the outcome of this race. Gharst lapped all the way up thru the 8th place finisher. At the checkers, there were three lapped cars between Gharst and 2nd place finisher Dale Blaney, two lapped cars between Blaney and 3rd place Dean Jacobs, two lapped cars between 4th place Danny Smith and 5th place Greg Wilson, and a staggering five lapped cars between 5th place Greg Wilson and 6th place finisher Jesse Hocket.

In short, Kaley Gharst opened up a Grade A premium can of whoop a-s on the field.:applaud:

dirtyd6305 10/8/07 2:49 PM

Loyet's cage was actually bent from that impact, I'd say he is feeling that today. They were so worried about Harper because he was unconscious for a few minutes after he landed. They both are pretty lucky. But how about that cop trying to remove Harper's mom from the accident scene? I thought she was gonna pull a Tmac on that cop.

SpfldMile 10/8/07 2:51 PM

Frank, you are right. That front fence is old and rusty and needs replaced. I think Gharst could have lapped the field if not for traffic. He was lapping cars by the 4th lap. It did get a little dusty, but that is wing racing for you. I'm still impressed that there were no yellows. The announcer talked as if they have an ambitious schedule planned for next year. I also hope there is a USAC or MSCS date or two in there for the sprinters. It is a pretty easy drive from Springfield.

illiNOISE 10/8/07 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpfldMile (Post 13554)
I think Gharst could have lapped the field if not for traffic.

:confused: How could he have lapped the field without getting thru traffic? (Unless you're referring to him having to get around the cars he had already lapped once, as there were a couple of two lap down cars between Gharst and Blaney at the checkers.)