IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Milwaukee Wisconsin Dirt Track Question. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=109996)

HoosierMikey 7/7/19 6:52 PM

Milwaukee Wisconsin Dirt Track Question.

Several years ago, I'm thinking early 90's my ex wife and i was coming home from upper Michigan following a truck pulling a sprint car coming through Milwaukee. I pulled up beside them and shouted out the window asking where they were racing. They shouted back and we followed them to what i remember being 1/4 mile dirt track that looked more like cinders than dirt. Seen a really good WOO race. Now the question. I cant remember the name of the track. Can anyone here tell me the name of that track? TIA.:15:

B99 7/7/19 7:09 PM

Re: Milwaukee Wisconsin Dirt Track Question.

Just a guess would be Hales Corners. No longer in existence.

ThrowbackRacingTeam 7/7/19 7:11 PM

Most likely Hales Corners. Now long gone. Economic progress and the end of another historic race track.

HoosierMikey 7/7/19 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B99 (Post 516548)
Just a guess would be Hales Corners. No longer in existence.

Yes that was it.

HoosierMikey 7/7/19 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam (Post 516549)
Most likely Hales Corners. Now long gone. Economic progress and the end of another historic race track.

Yes that was it.

BrentTFunk 7/7/19 7:56 PM

The one time I was at Hales Corners, the track was so hard packed that the water truck did a 360 coming off 4, and didn't leave any marks. This was at like an hour before hot laps.

TQ29m 7/7/19 9:19 PM

I rather liked the place, we usually made it there a couple of times a year, about the only time we ran a wing, I heard a few years ago it was gone. Madison is where Billy Engelhart is from, did a few transactions with them guys, we were in similar businesses, only they called the whole downtown home. Lots of fun times there.

Points 7/8/19 3:18 AM

Seen many a badger midget IRA sprint and WOO shows. And some guy named Sammy running a sprint without a wing. closed 2003. Drove by there recently just cause. Knew there was nothing to see but it felt like somewhere I belonged. Nothing left but Speedway road to remember it by. Menards now sits where the track was. A business that sponsors racing no less.

TQ29m 7/8/19 9:11 AM

Another history lesson from Hales Corner I remember, was the go-kart cement road course lay out in the infield, don't know if when we went there it was still in use, but I'd wager that's where Billy got his moniker, "Oh so smooth", that track, the oval, required a lot of patience.

Stealth87 7/8/19 12:19 PM

Wisconsin still has plenty of good dirt tracks. And many that I would LOVE to see USAC visit (Although it most likely won't ever happen, unless I win the lottery). If anyone ever wants to look at some of these places on Google Earth, here are some good ones to check out that USAC has never been to:

141 Speedway - Francis Creek, WI
ABC Raceway - Ashland, WI
Rice Lake Speedway - Rice Lake, WI
Eagle Valley Speedway - Jim Falls, WI
Mississippi Thunder Speedway - Fountain City, WI
Eagle River Speedway - Eagle River, WI
TNT Speedway - Three Lakes, WI
Luxemburg Speedway - Luxemburg, WI (USAC midgets may have visited this place back in the 80s)
Outagamie County Fairgrounds - Seymour, WI
Spring Lake Speedway - Unity, WI
LaFayette County Speedway - Darlington, WI
St Croix Valley Speedway - St Croix Falls (May be perm closed unfortunately)