IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wilmot adding a 604 Wing Sprint division for 2024. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=124536)

nathans1012 11/5/23 12:49 PM

Wilmot adding a 604 Wing Sprint division for 2024.

From the tracks Facebook page.

Now the track has 2 Crate engine sprint car divisions. 1 wing and 1 non-wing.

Wilmot Raceway
3d
·
��NEW for 2024��
ONE OF THE NEW EVENTS......��1st Annual Fall Classic September 19-21��
NEW DIVISION FOR YEAR......��️Winged 604 Sprints��️
NEW RULES FOR......��Modifieds (IMCA)��
NEW AMENITIY......��️Camping!!��️
More details will continue to come for the 2024 season! We are currently finalizing all details and there are so many exciting events coming!!

kendirt 11/5/23 4:07 PM

It would be nice if they and MSA could work together to make each other's cars legal.

There have to be cars from the Milwaukee area that are equidistant from either track.(MSA runs at Plymouth on Saturday nights. Maybe everyone doesn't know that.)

Midget98 11/6/23 11:05 AM

Re: Wilmot adding a 604 Wing Sprint division for 2024.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendirt (Post 569727)
It would be nice if they and MSA could work together to make each other's cars legal.

There have to be cars from the Milwaukee area that are equidistant from either track.(MSA runs at Plymouth on Saturday nights. Maybe everyone doesn't know that.)

Unfortunately, the time for that was prior to picking a crate engine as the motor to put in the IRA WingLess cars. This was basically a "cost to enter" decision as a new top of the line MSA powerplant costs around $30k. MSA engines have a substantial horsepower advantage which would make evening it out with the crate engine almost imnpossible without some sort of restrictor plate or something. Also, I pretty sure the winged crate car would be legal in MSA, but would be at a pretty big disadvantage due to the horsepower difference.

kendirt 11/6/23 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midget98 (Post 569745)
Unfortunately, the time for that was prior to picking a crate engine as the motor to put in the IRA WingLess cars. This was basically a "cost to enter" decision as a new top of the line MSA powerplant costs around $30k. MSA engines have a substantial horsepower advantage which would make evening it out with the crate engine almost imnpossible without some sort of restrictor plate or something. Also, I pretty sure the winged crate car would be legal in MSA, but would be at a pretty big disadvantage due to the horsepower difference.

It doesn't seem like a MSA engine ought to cost thirty grand, but thinking about everything I suppose they do.

bullring 11/7/23 7:40 PM

Their 604 non winged class has had great sucess. I'm not sure why you need 2 604 classes unless they will alternate nights and hope for guys to switch back and forth. I went up there when they ran the first time during the fair and I wasn't that impressed. Seemed like they were wide open all the way around. I don't think 400 HP is enough to pull those big wings down the straights.

ThrowbackRacingTeam 11/9/23 2:51 PM

They’ll both be a waste of time. Too SLOW!

TQ29m 11/9/23 4:44 PM

Kinda reminds me of the group that tried to make it cheaper at Bloomington in days gone by, using a 4 bbl carb,rather than fi, way too finicky for the common man,and the fans!

bullring 11/11/23 11:23 AM

The non winged usually put on a pretty good show. They get 30-40 and track usually can’t take much power so they are good. You have to realize we get no nonwing stuff over here so it’s better than nothing
I just don’t see how putting wings on a 400 HP car is going to be that exciting

Charles Nungester 11/11/23 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam (Post 569834)
They’ll both be a waste of time. Too SLOW!

When I seen the Non Wing at Gas City 604s I didn't think Too Slow. Just not the power band of a SPRINT CAR. I mean I seen 305s with more torque able to pull the wheels. etc.

The 604s dont. and I think they gotta be flat footed to spin the tires for the turns.

Im probably way wrong and it seems to be growing at least getting people into a sprint car. So it may be a good thing overall. Maybe in a couple years they get a 410 engines and step up.

Xxtatersxx 11/11/23 9:30 PM

The last race at gas city was won by a 604 crate. I wanna say with the don’t quote me but Stronger than steel series.