IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   time trials (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=69696)

johnnythunderhead 6/14/13 6:38 PM

time trials

I for one would be in favor of abolishing time trials, they take forever, they destroy the track before the racing begins, and if you draw a late slot, you're all but done for the nite from the git-go. I say draw for starting spots in the heats and race your way into the feach. top eight re-draw for starting positions 1-8, then the next eight re-draw for 9-16, then the b-main transfers re-draw for 17-24.

if you absolutely insist upon time trials, put 10-12 cars out at a time and do what usac calls European time trials.

the track surface at the 'put' was worn out before the midget time trials were done last nite

Posted via Mobile Device

Charles Nungester 6/14/13 6:54 PM

Re: time trials

The reason that track was destroyed wasn't time trials it was because they were expecting a ton of rain and sealed it over the day before. If it don't rain, You can never get the amount of moisture you need. Don't seal it and you get the rain, YOU PROBABLY wouldn't see any race.

Qualifying usually takes place Prior to start time, Why eliminate them for Fans who like them and Teams that Prefer them?

Not arguing but I see qualifying as a part of the sport. At least when higher money is on the line.

johnnythunderhead 6/15/13 12:18 PM

good points Chuck, but i'd still rather save the track for the racing/ and provide a more fair opportunity for all the competitors/ but either way i'll hopefully be there

Posted via Mobile Device

Joe Kidd 6/15/13 12:23 PM

For me time trials is a race in itself. Keep them and do it single quals instead of group BS.

micro94 6/15/13 1:45 PM

It can go either way.Doing a pill draw for starting positions can put you behind the 8 ball right from the get go also. Let em strap in and settle it themselves versus dealing with a lucky or unlucky draw. Just my own opinion, no one elses.

5JMOFFATTFAN! 6/15/13 1:49 PM

My biggest peav is b main transfers in my eyes should always start at the tail no questions ask.. If you dont make it through the heat you start in the back !

Posted via Mobile Device

Rpracing1 6/15/13 1:50 PM

Single car qualifying is a prt of the show that I pay for.

Posted via Mobile Device

brian2h 6/15/13 2:13 PM

how about we just draw for the Daytona 500 ,indy 500 everything lets just draw for the features and just skip all the other stuff that makes it a compeditive sport then everybody can be home early. we all no how important a good draw is and tracks do slowdown or get faster some times but at least u have a chance. when u draw for start spots u have no chance to change ur starting spot. as for the tracks getting burned up that's up to the people that prep them. all tracks use to qualify in Indiana and the racing was great and I don't think we get home any earlier now but we sure bend more race cars than we use to

procket 6/15/13 2:14 PM

i think the qualifying format brownstown in. used for the sprint car race in early spring worked the best where you qualify in groups of ten, but still single car qualifying, then each group is set up in the same heat race, eleminates the bad draw of going out toward the end.

cshuman 6/15/13 3:27 PM

Every single track used to qualify and still manage to put on good shows.. So you just gotta ask what's changed? The draw deal sucks unless you do passing points, but for some reason tracks think that is too difficult to figure out. Its just my opinion, but qualifying has always been part of racing, and it has gone away because it's easier then fixing the problem..

Posted via Mobile Device