IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bigger? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=106865)

Cobra 14 10/30/18 7:14 PM

Bigger?

So I am curious to opinions.. If 350 to 400hp is the agreed upon sweet spot for midget engines.. Then surely the next challenge to increase car counts is how do you get into that HP range for the least amount of spend?
Cubic inches must be the answer... It's time to increase the cubes, and decrease the cost.

jdull99 10/30/18 9:40 PM

Re: Bigger?

2.4L is a decrease...and that is the ONLY answer to the future of midget racing (I've been told...lol)

Racer12 10/30/18 10:39 PM

Take grip away!

Bob

Cobra 14 11/2/18 6:59 AM

How? Harder tire? Skinny tires? Minimum psi? No bleeders?

Over 800 views.. 2 responses.. Obviously no one thinks of the future just here and now.

If KKR and CM leave midgets then the field is cut in half. $40k engines are outrageous. It all stems from trying to squeeze a horsepower advantage from a cube limited engine.

The future needs the traction to limit the HP need and open engines. If you want to spend big bucks squeezing more HP from a small engine.. You should be allowed.. If you want more cubes to get the same HP and not need to spend huge money. How does that hurt the sport?

Hard skinny tire.. Then run what you brung.

Let's eliminate the cookie cutter biggest wallet wins mentality.

lilrim 11/2/18 8:36 AM

When I ran I thought 2007 was the toughest year. You had 3 Nine Racing cars, 2 KKR cars (Kasey Kahne Racing), 2 TSR, 2-3 KKM, Klatt Cars plus the family owned cars.

Nothing is different 11 years later. Competition is at an all time high! Some teams have left. Some teams have added. There’s 12+ cars that could win on any given night..

Kkm 6-8
Cmr 3-4
Tbm 2-4
Petry 3
Dooling
Fmr
Daum
Tyler Thomas
List goes on..

huskermudd 11/2/18 8:43 AM

Limit the compression of the engines this will do two things it will limit horsepower and will make the engines last longer between rebuilds making it more affordable

HDINDY 11/2/18 9:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilrim (Post 504620)
When I ran I thought 2007 was the toughest year. You had 3 Nine Racing cars, 2 KKR cars (Kasey Kahne Racing), 2 TSR, 2-3 KKM, Klatt Cars plus the family owned cars.

Nothing is different 11 years later. Competition is at an all time high! Some teams have left. Some teams have added. There’s 12+ cars that could win on any given night..

Kkm 6-8
Cmr 3-4
Tbm 2-4
Petry 3
Dooling
Fmr
Daum
Tyler Thomas
List goes on..

And they are still running for the same payout . Some things never change.

Charles Nungester 11/2/18 10:03 AM

V6 with a compression rule.
If these engines lasted a whole season, You'd have 80 midgets a show.

jdull99 11/2/18 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra 14 (Post 504618)
How? Harder tire? Skinny tires? Minimum psi? No bleeders?

Over 800 views.. 2 responses.. Obviously no one thinks of the future just here and now.

If KKR and CM leave midgets then the field is cut in half. $40k engines are outrageous. It all stems from trying to squeeze a horsepower advantage from a cube limited engine.

The future needs the traction to limit the HP need and open engines. If you want to spend big bucks squeezing more HP from a small engine.. You should be allowed.. If you want more cubes to get the same HP and not need to spend huge money. How does that hurt the sport?

Hard skinny tire.. Then run what you brung.

Let's eliminate the cookie cutter biggest wallet wins mentality.

I blv the biggest reason for little amount of replies is the topic has been beat to death & little ever gets done...except maybe new forms of the same cars compete...some series have "banner" years here & there, tulsa gets bigger, & it all keeps going...at least at the tracks that don't close...but then a deal like the track inside Indy comes along & the "new" versions of midgets can race for less money at other places that couldn't afford them b4...etc, etc...some guys/teams stick with it, others put their stuff for sale on IoW...lol

bgerster 11/2/18 3:45 PM

I don't understand how changing the engine specs and obsoleting everything currently in use will help the car count.