IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   COMMENTS Please... (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=46025)

coxie bowman 4/25/11 9:17 PM

COMMENTS Please...

This was in the NSSN a couple of years ago. One can take any part of it or all of it in order for more interesting racing in NASCAR. I know it's off the subject on this forum, but I feel a need to post it for, "DISECTION", as it the NORM here.

LET THE DRIVER DO IT!

I wonder if N.A.S.C.A.R. ever considered SHORT TRACK rules of engagement, where the driver makes his own on track decisions. No one tells him to move up or down, conserve gas or tires, etc. We know the driver can do it, after all, they came from short tracks, so did the fans. With todays format, how many of you fall asleep on the couch after the start then wake up near the finish. CHANGE, can sometimes be a positive, although we’re not receptive to change it might be worth a try. Here are a few thoughts that could bring about some pretty good racing.
PIT STOPS; Why not yellow flag the race for everyone when tires and fuel are needed. Have a two or three minute pit stop. This puts all drivers and teams on equal ground. Then when the race starts winding down to a hundred miles or so, the next pit stop could be stretched a little longer, making tire and fuel management mildly prevalent. Unscheduled pit stops will be the driver’s problem. Again, this can all be fine tuned.
REAR VIEW MIRRORS, except to block someone, why care who’s behind you. I once asked Lee Elkins while getting in his race car at Springfield, if he would give me signals as to how close someone was behind me, he said, “worry about who the blankety blank in front of you, not who’s behind you.” It made sense to me.
SPOTTERS; Aside from having the best seat in the house and being able to coach the driver, are they really needed? Why not have a RACE DIRECTOR in the tower with a one way radio to the drivers and pits. Have N.A.S.C.A.R. officials posted around the track to give feed back to the Race Director for safety. The fans can listen in like they do now. The Race Director can run the show and administrate race procedure to the drivers. It’s done all the time in many sanctioning bodies today.
SAFTY LIGHTS; Have enough strobe lights around the track so the driver won’t miss them if there’s trouble, the Race Director will again be able to call the shots.
As far as penalties and fines go, that can all be worked out, but sending a driver to the rear of the field with this type of format would suffice. Remember, nothing is etched in stone, and like I said earlier, ‘the rules can be modified.’
Many pluses would come from this if it’s used, more fan interest, more sponsor interest, more affordable participant interest, and the list goes on, not to mention the unlimited po-tential it has in other areas of the program. It levels the playing field and invites a different level of marketing also.
If I read anymore about how bad N.A.S.C.A.R. is, I’ll get skid marks in my skivvies. N.A.S.C.A.R. was conceived from one man’s dream to what it is today. The road has been long and at times, quite ugly. But the pluses have outnumbered the minuses. There will always be ongoing conflict between the players and the referees in any sport as well as outside opinions. N.A.S.C.A.R. has the races and the benefits if you get there, chances are you’ll be sitting pretty for the most part and not just the drivers either. It would have been nice if big fortunes came in the early years for the sake of the, “good ole boys”, for some it has. N.A.S.C.A.R. is the premier sanctioning body of all times. Anyone in racing wants to make it to the bigs, and if they say, ‘not’, then I’ll show you someone who’s raced too many races without a helmet.
:32:

addictedtodirt 4/25/11 9:40 PM

I think you are beating a dead horse Jack
Posted via Mobile Device

Mud Packer 4/25/11 10:43 PM

Re: COMMENTS Please...

In my opinion Jack, NASCAR has no interest in down home racing. That ship has sailed. Now they are trying to stage an entertainment event for a TV audience not the fans in the stands. It is about revenue not racing. They need to get rid of the talking heads that love to listen to the sound of their voices. Why do we need all of the hype if the racing is so great?

The last thing they need is another mile and a half track. Bring back Rockingham and North Wilksboro. Bring in Iowa while getting rid of a race at Fontana, Charlotte, Loudon and Kansas.

Their officiating has become almost laughable. I still can't believe the whole Carl Long episode from a couple of years ago. The penalties don't fit the crimes anymore. They are trying to regulate the whole series like IROC. Identical cars that can't seem to find a race.

They do truly have the best sports marketing program out there. They have sold America a very substandard product. The best series that they have are the two modified tours. Yet they sadly don't do anything to market these programs. They race under the NASCAR banner without the big corporate sponsorships and little if any TV audience.

They sold their soul to corporate America and kicked the fans that got them there to the wayside. Now that rose has wilted.

short track scott 4/25/11 11:15 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Russ 4/25/11 11:25 PM

The first thing I think they should do is to scrap the COT and get back to running a more stock looking car. Second, on all but the superspeedways, is to switch to the short track racing format of heats, dash and C, B and A mains. 100 lap or mile A mains are plenty long enough. I couldn't care less if they have radios, spotters or mirrors. I'm not a big fan of pit stops. I kind of liked the way they did pit stops in the truck series when it first started. A 10 minute break at halfway.

Kansasdirtfan 4/26/11 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 223239)
Second, on all but the superspeedways, is to switch to the short track racing format of heats, dash and C, B and A mains. 100 lap or mile A mains are plenty long enough.

Couldn't agree more. I've been a proponent of the short track format for years. It would go a long way toward keeping me engaged for more of the event. Unless it's Indy, 500 laps/miles is way too long to keep my attention. Especially for "stock" cars.

LocalYokel 4/26/11 5:27 AM

Spotters are very much necessary in NASCAR. They provide saftey to the drivers. Stock cars are alot larger compaired to a sprint/midget. They allow the drivers to know when they are clear of other cars when passing and getting passed. Without spotters the amount of wrecks would skyrocket, espically on the bigger tracks, where simply touching another car can cause a giant multi car accident. The spotters also inform the drivers of upcoming incidents such as slower cars and wrecks. The caution lights are almost not needed because the spotter informs the driver of yellow/red flags on the track. The spotters let the driver know immediately.

Also for what its worth pitstops have been there from the begining and are an intresting part of NASCAR or any other long distance race. They really make the racing more intresting alot of the time.

Lastly, if you don't like NASCAR in its current form then why watch? Go to a local show and support whatever kind of racing you like. Then, maybe, if enough people support their local short track, then maybe that kind of racing would wind up on TV...

You asked...
Posted via Mobile Device

backitin 4/26/11 8:54 AM

Man I'd support my local fact except for the fact that everything they run in my opinion is garbage. The one good "local" track we have is in Hamlin, they have 600 nonwing micros. Problem is you have to sit thru 20 yellow flags waiting to get the winged 270 show in. Plus without inverted starts your putting the fastest guys up front, how is that going to offer good racing. Thats what I miss about flemington, the fastest guys would start in the rear together and it made a hell of a show. Add to the fact that Its totally cookie cutter racing, everybody has what everybody else has, right up to friggin sealed crate motors. Run shorter races on shorter tracks and open up the rules some. Loosen the cars up some so the driver will be too busy driving to be on the radio, looking in the mirror and dying to go hit tweeter or twitter or face book or what ever have it to see how great he is.

Mudclodbob 4/26/11 9:55 AM

I no longer watch NASCAR. Actually NASCAR has made me a fan of the PGA, as there is more excitement there. Short track/sprint/midget/supermod racing is where the action is. I also enjoy a "normal" show with heats, B and feature racing.

Bob

coxie bowman 4/26/11 11:05 AM

Like the man says, 'I'm beating a dead horse' but the rules of engagement can be altered to fit the super speedways. As far as the spotters go, the RACE DIRECTOR would have be the one and only SPOTTER for ALL the drivers to listen to. The STROBE lights all around the track would take care of the problem situations.
If some of these rules were implemented, it would put everyone on a level playing field AND, it would give ANYONE wanting to go to NASCAR a chance to at least TRY, that's if they could raise the money and make it through the inspections, etc.

The other comment on the board was, 'don't watch it if you don't like it' I understand that very well about that statement, and sometimes, mostly, I don't.
Like MUDCLOGBOB says, PGA at times.

duel 4/26/11 12:36 PM

I like the idea of one director spotter. Never have liked spotters on a radio telling the person driving what to do. sometimes they even cause a crash. clear, clear...oops!

coxie bowman 4/27/11 7:22 PM

What the, who the, how... Come on you guys, is that all you GOT!!!! Certainly one would think you all would have a much, much, better SOLUTION to making NASCAR racing a lot more interesting then the STATUS QUO.
Lets see some OPINIONS on this SUBJECT.
How about you SUPER DUKE, YOUUUUU, "De Man"

terrehautian 4/27/11 7:59 PM

My idea, put them on dirt again, I might watch then.

coxie bowman 4/28/11 9:26 AM

GOOD IDEA, why not? It sure would create more fan interest in this day. Get them back to REALITY and the OVER ALL FAN.

Midget 89 4/28/11 10:01 AM

NASCAR is seeing empty seats and the television ratings are down. They better do something. Two care drafts aren't the answer.

coxie bowman 4/28/11 11:07 AM

Looking at a bigger fan base is in their grasp, all they have to do is REALIZE it.

Midget 89 4/28/11 11:16 AM

Is Danica Patrick part of the plans to increase the fan base?

98arpy 4/28/11 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrehautian (Post 223470)

Wednesday June 8th. 7th Annual Prelude to the Dream. NASCAR drivers on the dirt at Eldora.
See it live for $25.00 or Pay per View for $24.95.

I Miss Manzy 4/28/11 2:38 PM

Doug Auld's column in the current issue of SprintCar & Midget magazine deals with this subject. As for myself,I don't care about NASCAR,except for the Modifieds.

terrehautian 4/28/11 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98arpy (Post 223593)
Wednesday June 8th. 7th Annual Prelude to the Dream. NASCAR drivers on the dirt at Eldora.
See it live for $25.00 or Pay per View for $24.95.

I mean in the current cars, add some tires with tread and let them go.

Danny Burton 4/28/11 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Miss Manzy (Post 223601)
Doug Auld's column in the current issue of SprintCar & Midget magazine deals with this subject. As for myself,I don't care about NASCAR,except for the Modifieds.

So Joe, what about about a short track format at, what else, a short track?

Imagine a doubleheader of NASCAR modifieds at a place like New Hampshire, Martinsville, Richmond or Bristol. Granted the modifieds are faster than the "big boys" but so what?

4 heats, a B Main and a 100 lapper for each class, all on the same day. Practice and qualifying the day before.

Might take awhile, but it is a thought.

team3521 4/28/11 11:17 PM

Jack,

I could care less about NASCAR anymore. I used to when Jeff first went there out of USAC, but it has developed into a product that the average joe might like, but I don't think you will find many on this board that do anymore. Why? Because it isn't REAL racing anymore. It's cookie cutter (too many rules) boring, follow the leader trash.

I don't think that in our lifetimes, we will ever see NASCAR "back on track" especially dirt. All of us here on this board would appreciate it if they did and I for one would support that effort. I can imagine that if Bruton Smith wanted to put NASCAR back on dirt, he probably could if he wanted, but why should he? Average Joe doesn't care about dirt racing!

Bottom line is, the best racing you will ever see will not be televised or mass marketed. Let the average joes support NASCAR and we'll support the racing we like. Just my $0.02

coxie bowman 4/29/11 10:23 AM

That was an EXCELLENT "TWO CENTS" worth. I'm not a NASCAR fan as fans go either, but they sure have helped open wheel drivers and all that goes with them, mechanics, etc. down through the years.
I can remember (and I'm sure some of you guys can too) when a kid from around the Columbus area was sleeping in his car and, Ed Adair would let him in to race without even signing the sheet, mostly because he didn't have the price of admission. And he was (STILL ARBITRARY back then also) while going up through the ranks to become a great driver and... "MILLIONARE". That's just to name ONE guy, look at all the others before him and even after him.
Look at all the GOOD that's come out of their benevolence, once they "made it".
What I'm getting at is, if the RULES of ENGAGEMENT were modified somewhat, modified so it puts many up and coming kids that are tearing up the short tracks, on a level playing field down in NASCARLAND, then the local heros could have an affordable shot to head down there and, AT LEAST TRY. Do you think if Dave Darland had an honest shot at it, he would stay at Gas City instead of going down to try? How many of us would contribute our nickles and dimes to the, DAVE DARLAND sponsorship for a SHOT at a good ride to go down there and give it a season or two. Sponsorship for a guy like him would come pretty easy at a regional level. The same for the Indy 500 aspirents. The problem with all this is, they usually don't get a GOOD RIDE and they look like a Monkey making love to a FOOTBALL. And, it's not their falut either.
Open Wheel racing is the greatest kind of racing in the world as far as I'm concerned, but Open Wheel racing, Midgets, Sprint Cars, and the other classes, will remain in the, "HIND ***" class as long as we are not able to create more of a FAN BASE. The FAN BASE pays the bill and it can be created in many, many ways.
What the heck do you think the kid from Rushville is trying to do presently, along with the drivers that have come back to drive on the different short tracks in which they came from, there aren't a lot of them, but there are a few, and NASCAR needs to get involved in it also, because it's hurting their "BOTTOM LINE". They're starting to see the empty seats in the grandstands and that the is a BOTTOM to the MONEY BARREL. They should LISTEN to the FANS as much as they can, GOOD or BAD and weed out the good ideas toss them around and see what they can do to create, create, and CREATE MORE FANS. At least it gives them a place to start. It all starts from the top and NASCAR, as well as other sanctioning bodies, need to keep making CHANGES or MODIFICATIONS in order to help keep it all going if the future of MOTORSPORTS is to continue and grow.;)

I Miss Manzy 4/29/11 2:45 PM

[QUOTE=Danny Burton;223659]So Joe, what about about a short track format at, what else, a short track?

Danny, You and I might like it,but do you think the 35 millionaires with guaranteed starting spots would go along with it?

Midget 89 4/30/11 9:08 PM

Sorry, Jack, but I won't be happy until sprint and midget rides lead to Indianapolis, not NASCAR. :7::7:

coxie bowman 4/30/11 9:43 PM

I won't be happy either, and I agree with you totally, but it has to start somewhere, with someone that has a competitive ride and not just a token ride or a ride in some guys car that needs the money.
I'll bet you would be sitting on the edge of your chair watching the TAXIE CABS if some of the rules were changed and if some of the local heros had a FIGHTING CHANCE to, WIN, PLACE or SHOW. It could happen with a few modifications.

coxie bowman 5/1/11 12:16 PM

It's probably BEST to just let this thread go by the wayside at this time, and let it become a MOOT subject. At least in my lifetime anyway.
Let's just put it in the, "DEAD ISSUE" column and enjoy the great racing forthcoming for the Summer.

team3521 5/1/11 1:50 PM

Jack,

Here is another one of my many opinions for $0.02. To get to the "next level" in motorsports, the money level, you need quite a few talents and driving skill is just one of them but I believe becoming less of a priority than the rest. You need to be a living advertisement. Spewing the sponsors names and don't you dare miss one!

First and foremost though, you need to possess A LOT of charisma. You need to be a pretty boy or girl as we've witnessed recently. Now the new in, is to be part of a diversity program. To be a minority with some talent will get you a ride before a triple crown championship will. Which is sickening! It's all money, money, money! Corporations with the sponsorship dollars is what is choosing the drivers now. All of us on this board could come up with a list that would be as long as your arm of drivers that should have been in the next level and would have been if they were born in an earlier era. Why? because they earned their chance by racing and winning at the grass roots level of America.

I hate the fact that Indy is a buy your ride deal now and you can't pronounce half the drivers names any more. Nascar is a total mess and

I would dare to say more of an "American" sport than other upper levels are now which is again, sad. I would agree with you though. We should go to our local races this summer and support "our" heros. Our heros are more approachable and more appreciative of us anyway.
So, the point I am trying to make here with this post is I don't think in our lifetimes it will ever come back to the way it used to be. Even with rule changes,venue changes or modifications. Let's hope that the corporate world doesn't start to effect the level of racing that "advanced" racing fans like us on this board enjoy. Let the average joe racing fan go support the upper levels and we'll stay local. Much better all around!

PS. I wish you were still promoting midget races in the midwest and so does everyone else in the area with a midget setting in their garage.

Midget 89 5/1/11 5:18 PM

A Sportsman midget class in Michigan to get some cars out of the garages. Pair them with the sprint cars at Spartan. They had 19 sprints Friday night.

coxie bowman 5/1/11 5:46 PM

By controlling the rules and keeping them in line with a blue collar train of thought, the millionairs or the money people will STILL have to live by the rules, just as long as there isn't deviation from them. It doesn't make you a very popular person, but it's good for EVERYONE, and the words, "EVERYONE" is just what it says. One of the rule changes would be that, NO ONE would be practicing or renting any tracks for practice long before the majority got there to hot lap and qualify. The majority of the blue collar participants cannot always get off when there IS a chance for early practice. Hense, no one should have that advantage. You drive there, unload, hot lap, qualify, and RACE, PERIOD. That's the way it USE TO BE, so why can't it STILL BE. It's just ONE part of SAVING Motorsports and putting everyone on an even playing field. Just ONE PART, there are more parts to the equasion, but these rules would be a good start and most effective. The people in charge have to also enforce and stick to the rules and not become prostitutes either, because it would be the beginning of even more FAILURE.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment, but my fifteen minutes has come and gone, besides being too old and too fat doesn't help either. Ha!

bfranks17 5/1/11 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrehautian (Post 223470)

Agreed!!! well i watch but it'd be better on dirt.:32:

Bill Blumer 5/2/11 6:51 AM

Fall asleep on the sofa? I've fallen asleep in the stands. Sober.

terrehautian 5/7/11 11:50 PM

After tonight they should have PPV fights between drivers. Busch pushing Harvicks car into the pit wall was funny.

aceace 5/8/11 10:31 AM

The $15 + $5 chip in on gas I spent at Bloomington Friday night was a bargain for a race fan. Watching Brady win was good but watching Stanbrough go from 14th to 3rd was worth twice the price of any Nascar race. I could see Nascar back on ESPN when the current contract is up. I doubt anyone will ever see me at a Nascar race again, maybe if the tickets are free. When I found out the drivers could talk to each other during the race and the Brickyard 12 lap yellow tire race.... I was done.

deannalynn 5/8/11 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceace (Post 225389)
The $15 + $5 chip in on gas I spent at Bloomington Friday night was a bargain for a race fan. Watching Brady win was good but watching Stanbrough go from 14th to 3rd was worth twice the price of any Nascar race. I could see Nascar back on ESPN when the current contract is up. I doubt anyone will ever see me at a Nascar race again, maybe if the tickets are free. When I found out the drivers could talk to each other during the race and the Brickyard 12 lap yellow tire race.... I was done.

:8:

coxie bowman 5/8/11 10:39 AM

Look at all the 'COMMENTS' and opinions on this thread, one would think SOMEONE, anyone in the NASCAR ranks is reading them. Maybe they think we're in a minority. What they don't realize is, there are thousands of POTENTIAL fans out there that, ARE NOT saying anything. For every person that wrote something on this thread, there are many, many more people that think it, but just don't SAY IT!!!!
Ya never know though, NASCAR just might be listening and there might be CHANGES coming down the line. There HAS to be.