IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chili Bowl Entry number (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=82242)

SWScaleChassis 12/28/14 9:48 PM

Chili Bowl Entry number

After some debate on another source regarding the current entries for the 15 Chili Bowl, I was curious to hear some opinions on the subject. The side I read and responded to was along the lines of 'Too many cars, too many hands in the cookie jar'

I hope not to stir the pot up too much, but just curious on some takes of the facts. Is it too many cars? Should guys who realistically don't have a flying chance just stay home? Or... More cars, more racing, more better!?

-Justin

Charles Nungester 12/28/14 9:54 PM

Re: Chili Bowl Entry number

I see nothing wrong. Its a game, Everyone plays the game in the same fashion. Get the most passing points and finish in the top three tues-fri and your in. You've got 50 laps Saturday to sort it out and people have come from the tail of that to finish podium.

It certainly takes skill and some luck, But I still see little teams like Alex Bright running right with and in some cases beating much bigger teams. :)

red70racer 12/28/14 11:51 PM

I've tried to stay neutral on this subject, and I've seen some disparaging remarks about the so called field fillers, back markers or whatever you call it
First I would suspect most those folks don't own a race car
With that said, I had a car at the first Chili Bowl and have been a part of at least 10 Chili Bowls
Guys, we race for fun, never once did I ever think there was a chance at the winners circle
But I have had a blast spending a week with like minded people, the best overall racing you will ever see. I've seen talent from other forms of racing give it a try.
Is 300 entries too many? I don't think it will make much difference. It might add a heat race per night and a couple more letters added to the alphabet on Saturday
I think the more the merrier, besides you get dirt racing in Jauary it's all good!
Jeff Palazzolo

Nate 12/29/14 1:53 AM

I don't see any problem with huge car counts. It's part of the event, in fact I think its a good thing. When Chili Bowl car counts start dwindling that means something is wrong.

Now, I think we all know that some of those entries don't have a chance and maybe it's the lure of saying "I ran in the Chili Bowl" but mostly you go because you love to race and have fun. As far as "field fillers" go on dirt just look at the Knoxville Nationals or the World 100. Plenty of cars go to those events that probably don't even compete at their local tracks but nobody complains unless one causes a wreck or gets in the way. You have it in any form of racing whether its USAC, F1, or TRASHCA....I mean NASCAR.

The way I see it the guys have the money and the passion to go race, if they're willing to go spend their money and time doing what they love who are we to judge. If I had a car, the cash, and didn't have to focus on my senior year of college you can bet your @ss I'd go throw my hat in the ring.

darnall 12/29/14 11:08 AM

If the guys that didn't have a chance of winning stayed home from all the USAC midget races you would only see 6 cars show up at every USAC midget race.

I tried to do the chilibowl a few years ago...in a 10 year old Maxim midget with a 15 year old Fontana motor... did I have any illusion of making the A or winning the deal? Hell no....but I did have a goal..

I know that I am really good at running the bottom. I know that I am really good at staying out of trouble. I knew the car I was in handled like a dream. I thought making it as far as a Saturday night D main was a realistic goal. And that would be an accomplishment for a guy like me with equipment like I had. There will be several really good drivers who don't make it as far as a D main this year and every year. Unfortunately my motor let go on my qual night and I was done. As a spectator to me thats part of the fun...watching how far an unknown can get...watching a big name struggle to get out of a G main... watching how far through the alphabet someone can go.... without 300 cars there isn't near as much alphabet for guys to try to get thru.

I appreciate each and every one of the 300 guys and gals who pony up and take a shot at this race. and I hope it never changes.

jdull99 12/29/14 11:21 AM

Time to end the trade show, or maybe ATTACH a temp enclosure to the building so everyone can fit inside...without having to fall over each-other...

DAD 12/29/14 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWScaleChassis (Post 401440)
After some debate on another source regarding the current entries for the 15 Chili Bowl, I was curious to hear some opinions on the subject. The side I read and responded to was along the lines of 'Too many cars, too many hands in the cookie jar'

I hope not to stir the pot up too much, but just curious on some takes of the facts. Is it too many cars? Should guys who realistically don't have a flying chance just stay home? Or... More cars, more racing, more better!?

-Justin

Justin

For the Midget Racer Junkie the Chili Bowl is that High that you are always looking for. For one solid week you can watch tough competitive Midget racing non stop all day long. You can watch the old pros of Midgets, the Old Pros coming back to their roots, Pros who had never set foot in a Midget before and tons of Rookie racers taking their first Midget ride. Throw them all together and mix them up and what you come up with is heat races and Qualifiers that are well worth the price of admission not even taking that last race which is always spectacular into consideration.

Then You have the Trade Show that brings you up to date on the new stuff just coming out. And last but not least many of the fans out in the crowd are the Who is Who in Auto racing both past and present.

The Chili Bowl is not a race the "Chili Bowl" is a "Happening" that just keep on Happening.

If you have never been to Tulsa in January by all means do so.

CAUTION ">>>>Chili Bowls" can be addictive.

Honest Dad himself:6::6:

trackprep 12/29/14 8:33 PM

Anyone that complains about the car count at the chilibowl is probably the one who is the knowledgeable promotor/concessions/trackprep classes to run/how long a show should run/ weather or temperature complainer. How in the hell can you complain about car count or a drivers ability when we all know what the chilibowl is. I am entering my car for the 3rd year. I have only owned my car for 3 years. Yea you can complain when a one off weekday show mite keep you out past your vision of a late nite but we know what the chilibowl is. I'm sorry if this sets wrong with some grumpy fan but when you go to a race this summer and there are only two heats of five cars of the only class you care about think back to your gripe of to many cars.and as far as backmarkers of fieldfillers. If your favorite driver has whatever dilemma and only runs 20th out of 24 cars is he a field filler. I go into the chilibowl doing our best,not being a joke,keeping our nose clean but still being competitive.

polecar 12/29/14 11:03 PM

it's a racing vacation.

racefan20 12/29/14 11:42 PM

I've never heard of a one off weekday show mite. Do they bite?