IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Terre Haute promoter explains Hut Hundred cancelation (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=21791)

SprintExaminer 8/14/09 5:44 PM

Terre Haute promoter explains Hut Hundred cancelation

I had the chance to interview Terre Haute Action Track promoter Mike King today about their decision to cancel the Hut Hundred for this season. It was a good interview, and fairly enlightening not only about the decision but the state of the USAC midget series.

Click here to read the article and let me know what you think.

agar 8/14/09 5:58 PM

Re: Terre Haute promoter explains Hut Hundred cancelation

If you can't get them to run on a big track this year you won't get them next year to run on a big track

are they saying if it was moved to say Haubstadt or Kokomo they would get a larger amount of Midgets but at those track could you safely start 33 3 wide.

but if you don't want to hurt the history of the event it has to be run at TERRE HAUTE

I think all concerned should put there heads together and make the Big Shows Hut Hundred, Belleville and some others
duel sanction events and it will be best for all

My 2 Cents

DonMoore10 8/14/09 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agar (Post 127482)
I think all concerned should put there heads together and make the Big Shows Hut Hundred, Belleville and some others

My 2 Cents

The only teams that are going to show for those events are the 15-17 multi-multimillionaire teams. There was only one non USAC car that showed for the recent Twin Cities race, so that gives you an idea of the ability of the United States Auto Club to attract anyone else but the 19 USAC midgets that showed up.

So what magical tricks are going to take place for 40-60 midgets to show up at Terre Haute next year? The last published statement I read (in PRI mag ) by Mr. Miller stated that he was very happy with his midget program. Unless something drastic takes place, this promoter is on a cruise ship without a clue.

Charles Nungester 8/14/09 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agar (Post 127482)
If you can't get them to run on a big track this year you won't get them next year to run on a big track

are they saying if it was moved to say Haubstadt or Kokomo they would get a larger amount of Midgets but at those track could you safely start 33 3 wide.

but if you don't want to hurt the history of the event it has to be run at TERRE HAUTE

My 2 Cents

Some of it was that its a big track but schedualling it against LBurgs 10g sprint race, The two other midget races west of there and the upcoming Gold Cup (Which many were saving engines for) is some of the factors I've gathered for the low turnout. Also, What was the purse for the Hut last year?

sprinter25 8/14/09 7:36 PM

Are we sure this guy didn't interview Don Moore?

sprintcar62 8/14/09 7:37 PM

I will tell you how to get midget racing back the way it should be go back to the volkswagen engines then you will have 30 to 40 cars.

SprintExaminer 8/14/09 7:48 PM

I don't know what the situation is going to be like in a year, but I think the bigger issue is: if they had 22 cars last year, and the other big-track midget races this year were doing worse than ever without competition, what would the Hut Hundred have been like this year?

I'm not going to look into a crystal ball and read anything more into Mike King's comments than are there. I will say that I don't think even he would expect a 60-car field next year - I think they would have been OK with a 33-car field or something remotely close to it.

Here's my question: would it have been better to run a Hut Hundred with 20 cars, or not to run it at all? I guess that answer is up to personal preference, but I'd like to hear what other people have to say.

Also, keep in mind that I'm out in California, so I really don't have horses in this race, so to speak.

Kevracer58 8/14/09 7:56 PM

Quote:

would it have been better to run a Hut Hundred with 20 cars, or not to run it at all?
20 quality cars is better

DonMoore10 8/14/09 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevracer58 (Post 127506)
20 quality cars is better

Not gonna happen.......:13:

LEADERS EDGE 8/14/09 10:05 PM

Besides guys going to the race because it's a race and they own a midget so that would be a good place to take one.....whats the answer? What will bring the Powri/Badger guys to the track? Don't tell me they won't run there because that is B.S.

Besides diqualifying any team that has an Engine that is percieved better than someone elses, I don't see what could be done other than not scheduling races against each other and teams showing up and supporting the event because it is a crown jewel of motorsports. All of motorsports.

Whats the difference between breaking a motor at Belle-Clair,Macon, and Jacksonville versus breaking one at Terre Haute? To me there is no difference. As far as crashing goes, I saw a car saw off a telephone pole at Jacksonville, so I don't think Terre Haute is anymore dangerous.

30 cars were at Belleville Ks. which is a motor eater deluxe, but there were no other shows against it. When the Hut was run at it's old date after the Hoosier 100, it was always after all of the other series' had shut down and no one dared schedule against it.

Since the season runs later now,it should be an early Oct. date with maybe a twilight start.

That or take the USAC sanction away so teams will come run because it doesn't pay USAC points and schedule against a USAC national race. Trust me....you would have cars from the other clubs then. I don't want to see that, but USAC has finally made everyone feel so unwelcome that this regime won't get them back without manna from above. That and the trailer envy is so bad that all you hear is about the teams trailer size.

When NAMARS ran it in 1999 or 2000, they had a huge count. It was April when no other clubs were racing yet.

I have seen it at the Indy Mile,Lawrenceburg and Putnamville,but only Terre Haute should have the official Hut 100 and for Terre Haute to suggest running the sprints under the Hut banner is rediculous and horrible ploy. At least USAC didn't go that route and for that I applaud.

If thats the route needed to keep the name, just let it go gracefully instead of a nasty incarnation.