IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ohio Sprintweek (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=104856)

david mitchell 6/20/18 12:09 PM

Ohio Sprintweek

Kyle Larson,Tony Stewart,Kasey Kahne,Christopher Bell,Dave Blaney,Spencer Bayston,etc.All involved in wonderful racing over the past five nights in Ohio Sprintweek.One of the biggest events of the season.Nary a word on this forum about it.Last night was incredible with Larson and Bell.Do we not speak of winged racing on this forum.

Charles Nungester 6/20/18 12:27 PM

Re: Ohio Sprintweek

:44:

double checkered 6/20/18 1:19 PM

You're speaking of it now..... I don't think your post will get deleted because it's Ohio and not Indiana or winged instead of traditional sprints. But to answer your question, there are less topics on winged sprints regardless of who, or where. Ohio All-star Sprint week is a good week for those that follow them and there are usually wonderful races all week with some "suprise guests"

Jeremy

MIracing 6/20/18 1:47 PM

Interesting that in the top 8 last night 5 of them were products of Keith Kunz Motorsports. Bell 1st, Larson 2nd, Rico 4th, Bayston and Macedo 7-8.

Backitin 6/20/18 2:06 PM

Most of us try not to. To a true wingless fan ( fan being short for fanatic) we could care less about winged racing.
Just speaking for myself a true nonwing fanatic. A nonwinged car and a winged car are two completely different beasts.
Now for who ever is ready to jump in with "a true race fan likes all racing" my middle finger is raised.

i love dirt track racing 6/20/18 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 496470)
Kyle Larson,Tony Stewart,Kasey Kahne,Christopher Bell,Dave Blaney,Spencer Bayston,etc.All involved in wonderful racing over the past five nights in Ohio Sprintweek.One of the biggest events of the season.Nary a word on this forum about it.Last night was incredible with Larson and Bell.Do we not speak of winged racing on this forum.

God bless America and this site that bill Gardner created for all of the great racing fans and racing teams. Thanks to mrs g and the family for keeping the best website to all of the racing family's. Have fun and enjoy all the great things that we all love. Thanks.

Mrs G 6/20/18 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i love dirt track racing (Post 496482)
God bless America and this site that bill Gardner created for all of the great racing fans and racing teams. Thanks to mrs g and the family for keeping the best website to all of the racing family's. Have fun and enjoy all the great things that we all love. Thanks.

😉I’ve been doing a lot of deep sighing and head shaking today. Thank you for putting things back into perspective, Richard!

mc/rider 6/20/18 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 496470)

I looked on Ohioopenwheel and found nothing. Hmm

Big Game Hunter 6/20/18 4:10 PM

I'm with you on this Dave. I like watching the All Stars. Tony Stewart and others that help run that series have done a great job

GYATK94 6/20/18 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backitin (Post 496481)
Most of us try not to. To a true wingless fan ( fan being short for fanatic) we could care less about winged racing.
Just speaking for myself a true nonwing fanatic. A nonwinged car and a winged car are two completely different beasts.
Now for who ever is ready to jump in with "a true race fan likes all racing" my middle finger is raised.

I won't try the "a true race fan likes all racing" because I agree it's a little silly. However, saying to be a true non wing fan you must disregard all winged racing is absolutist nonsense.

To say I, and others, can't be "true" fans of non wing racing with all the shows I've attended, shirts I've purchased, results I've checked when I couldn't be there just because I also do the same for wings is purist snobbery.

I like non wings more, but I like both forms quite a bit and will continue to support both as a true fan.

david mitchell 6/20/18 4:59 PM

I like backinitin for his style and honesty.I like Gyatk 94 for his well thought out piece.I like both,with a caveat,good winged racing on big tracks is rare.Almost always they are good on short tracks.Traditional sprint cars are usually good on both.Not non wing,not such a car.😆

BrentTFunk 6/20/18 5:13 PM

Funny you mentioned Ohio Speedweek, as I was going to post something after I got off work. I am off work now, so here we go.
One thing that I think helps Ohio is the tracks all promote every show and are dark when others run. Attica which arguably has the strongest weekly show of any track in the country, even promotes the other races on social media. Indiana SprintWeek was like that when it started, and that is a big part of what it is today. Wish it would get back that way.
I thought it was neat that Wayne County ran sprints only. 1 Support class per track should be plenty.

revjimk 6/20/18 5:41 PM

Not much on Hoseheads either, except some bragging about how good it is, then some whining about track prep...
To get results, go straight to Allstars web page
I like both, prefer "traditional" (AKA wingless) especially on a bullring. Big track/ winged, bullring/wingless
I would definitely like to do Ohio SW some day! Last year Allstar race at Attica, early summer, was one of the season highlights for me

motorhead748 6/20/18 5:43 PM

Quote:

I've gathered that you're from the east.....How many of the usac eastern storm events did you attend?

david mitchell 6/20/18 5:44 PM

Brent Funk speaks the truth.He is wise Sage.

revjimk 6/20/18 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 496496)
Funny you mentioned Ohio Speedweek, as I was going to post something after I got off work. I am off work now, so here we go.
One thing that I think helps Ohio is the tracks all promote every show and are dark when others run. Attica which arguably has the strongest weekly show of any track in the country, even promotes the other races on social media. Indiana SprintWeek was like that when it started, and that is a big part of what it is today. Wish it would get back that way.
I thought it was neat that Wayne County ran sprints only. 1 Support class per track should be plenty.

Support classes: I went to 2 Eastern Storm shows Port Royal & BAPS (Susky) Port had 410 wingers for support class (Hodnett won) BAPS had 360 wingers (Hodnett again) & USAC East midgets (formerly ARDC) Alex Bright won that
Not a bad deal at all! No taxicabs :23:

Rich Mersereau 6/20/18 6:34 PM

I was going to start it, but didn't want to get bombed. Tony Stewart saved this group a few years ago and it's never been better. The names and talent is incredible right now. Oh, and I'm going to cave in and say it. Eldora has never been better either. Watch the video from Saturday night and we'll argue later.

Rich M

hoosier race fan 6/20/18 6:38 PM

Quote:

“Right back atcha .....”

dsc1600 6/20/18 6:47 PM

Twitter has replaced the message boards for the most part these days, most of the opinions good or bad are being made on there.

All Stars (with the exception of Speedweeks) were a joke for years and even after Stewart took them over they had a lousy list of followers. But this year has been fantastic. Macedo, Reutzel, McMahan, Blaney, Hays have really added a lot to the program.

captrat 6/20/18 7:30 PM

Let's not turn this group into that other group where insult is considered a valid way to make a point.

Kinser11 6/20/18 7:59 PM

Quote:

I thought a True Non Wing Car Did not have a cage on it. Am I missing something? Or is this some New Indiana only thing?:15:

flagboy55 6/21/18 12:16 AM

I consider myself a true "sprint car fan" that includes wings, non, pavement, dirt. I have preferences. Anyone that doesn't care about winged racing is only cheating themselves. The quality of racing across the board, I would say for the most part is getting better. If you're only watching non wing your missing some good sprint car races. 94 once again comes through with an intelligent response, as always. And the best part is David Mitchell liked it! I will say this however, it seems, to me at least, the wingers may hold as much of a bias as some of the non wing crowd. Both are missing out

revjimk 6/21/18 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 496515)
I consider myself a true "sprint car fan" that includes wings, non, pavement, dirt. I have preferences. Anyone that doesn't care about winged racing is only cheating themselves. The quality of racing across the board, I would say for the most part is getting better. If you're only watching non wing your missing some good sprint car races. 94 once again comes through with an intelligent response, as always. And the best part is David Mitchell liked it! I will say this however, it seems, to me at least, the wingers may hold as much of a bias as some of the non wing crowd. Both are missing out

True dat! I asked my Chili Bowl neighbor, who's a Hoosier (nice rhyme) why he didn't like wings & he said "thats cheatin' " I asked an Iowa guy at Knoxville if he liked wingless, & he replied "no, too slow"

revjimk 6/21/18 4:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 496499)
Brent Funk speaks the truth.He is wise Sage.

Yea, when he's sober ;)
(Sorry Brent, couldn't resist....:9: )

revjimk 6/21/18 4:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 496515)

However, Eastern Storm always draws good crowds in Pa., who love it. Plus I've met lots of Pa. fans at Indiana Speedweek & Smackdown
Brent introduced me to a couple from England who fly to Indiana THREE TIMES EVERY SUMMER for racing!! They were wingless purists too. I mentioned big contingent of Aussies & Kiwis at Knoxville Nationals every year... their reply? "Yea, they like wings... thats why we kicked them out"....

brsteg 6/21/18 11:28 AM

I like tin tops; dirt late models or NASCAR. I like sprints; dirt, paved, winged, or non-winged. I like Indy Car. I basically like anything with an engine except the straight liners don't really turn me on.

SPRINTCAR 6/21/18 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 496494)
I like backinitin for his style and honesty.I like Gyatk 94 for his well thought out piece.I like both,with a caveat,good winged racing on big tracks is rare.Almost always they are good on short tracks.Traditional sprint cars are usually good on both.Not non wing,not such a car.😆

You got it, IMO there are sprintcars and winged sprintcars. What else is there besides spec classes like Race savers and such.:6::23: :47: :22:

brsteg 6/21/18 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPRINTCAR (Post 496549)
You got it, IMO there are sprintcars and winged sprintcars. What else is there besides spec classes like Race savers and such.:6::23: :47: :22:

I come more from the Ohio area so if you say sprint car everyone you are talking to is dreaming about wings... so I usually explicitly say non winged sprint car or winged sprint car unless I'm referring to a sanctioning body.

SPRINTCAR 6/21/18 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinser11 (Post 496507)
I thought a True Non Wing Car Did not have a cage on it. Am I missing something? Or is this some New Indiana only thing?:15:

That was a long time ago as safety took over. Besides there are no such thing as a non wing car................. it's a sprintcar. :31::32:

motorhead748 6/21/18 1:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brsteg (Post 496546)
I like tin tops; dirt late models or NASCAR. I like sprints; dirt, paved, winged, or non-winged. I like Indy Car. I basically like anything with an engine except the straight liners don't really turn me on.

Same for me, about anything involving internal combustion and I'm game. I'm also not a huge drag race fan but you should go see the top fuelers and funny cars. They are incredible to put it mildly.

1121 6/21/18 2:14 PM

We have a Maxim sprint car we bought off of Darren Clayton, so naturally it had only been run wingless. Once I got it home, I welded wing mounts on it before I sent it out to be powder coated.

We’ve run it without a wing. We have bolted wings on it and run it with a wing. We have even put slicks on it and run it on pavement. Added wings and ran it winged on pavement. Never once has a promoter told us we couldn’t run because it wasn’t a sprint car. Never once has a fan told me I wasn’t a sprint car driver because it had wings or pavement tires.

That’s from the driver/ owners side. On the fan side, I would watch two squirrels race up a tree. It’s all good.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

revjimk 6/21/18 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead748 (Post 496564)
Same for me, about anything involving internal combustion and I'm game. I'm also not a huge drag race fan but you should go see the top fuelers and funny cars. They are incredible to put it mildly.

I liked drag racing back in the 1960s when they were all different, often home built, all sorts of different classes, lots of wild unique creations. It was a participant sport back then. Now they're all high tech rocket sleds: Spectator sport.
I would like to see some Vintage or Nostalgia drags tho. They had them in Bakersfield when I went to Trophy Cup in Tulare a few years ago. I was tempted to commute back & forth, but didn't want to hassle with extra driving time & $$$

revjimk 6/21/18 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 496575)
I liked drag racing back in the 1960s when they were all different, often home built, all sorts of different classes, lots of wild unique creations. It was participant sport back then. Now they're all high tech rocket sleds: Spectator sport.
I would like to see some Vintage or Nostalgia drags tho. They had them in Bakersfield when I went to Trophy Cup in Tulare a few years ago. I was tempted to commute back & forth, but didn't want to hassle with extra driving time & $$$

Like this crazy thing: One engine in front, one in back, different engines! Craziest thing is that it actually worked, first dragster to top 150 mph in Quarter Mile. You can see it at Garlits Museum in Ocala, Fla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Div8ue3zLJA

revjimk 6/21/18 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 496576)
Like this crazy thing: One engine in front, one in back, different engines! Craziest thing is that it actually worked, first dragster to top 150 mph in Quarter Mile. You can see it at Garlits Museum in Ocala, Fla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Div8ue3zLJA

I just noticed it has a battery too!

revjimk 6/21/18 3:38 PM

Or this one, Lickliter Bros. National Champion, Competition Coupe & Middle Eliminator, 1960. They were from Staunton, Va. where I lived at the time. I remember seeing it thru their garage door on the way to school, eventually got to talk to them, go in & see it. Basically an Austin coupe body dropped on a slingshot dragster:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/b7sAA...IOH/s-l300.jpg

revjimk 6/21/18 3:43 PM

Sorry for the thread drift, figured some of you might dig this stuff....

revjimk 6/21/18 3:51 PM

[QUOTE=1121;496570]We have a Maxim sprint car we bought off of Darren Clayton, so naturally it had only been run wingless. Once I got it home, I welded wing mounts on it before I sent it out to be powder coated.

We’ve run it without a wing. We have bolted wings on it and run it with a wing. We have even put slicks on it and run it on pavement. Added wings and ran it winged on pavement. Never once has a promoter told us we couldn’t run because it wasn’t a sprint car. Never once has a fan told me I wasn’t a sprint car driver because it had wings or pavement tires.

That’s from the driver/ owners side. On the fan side, I would watch two squirrels race up a tree. It’s all good.

Tom Paterson

PDP Racing[/QUOTE
Squirrel racing? Rocky would win... he has wings! ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65t-OzhlmvE

Rhody 6/21/18 4:29 PM

I like them with wings or without, I prefer with wings,but that's me. What wears me out is all the people who call the wing "the crutch" and say it takes away the talent. Show me one guy who was a wingless back marker and became a front runner when he put the wing on, and you might have something, but it doesn't happen.

#1jackhewittfan 6/21/18 5:10 PM

I Love non wing sprints but ohio speedweek is my favorite week of the year.

revjimk 6/21/18 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhody (Post 496584)
I like them with wings or without, I prefer with wings,but that's me. What wears me out is all the people who call the wing "the crutch" and say it takes away the talent. Show me one guy who was a wingless back marker and became a front runner when he put the wing on, and you might have something, but it doesn't happen.

Good point!