IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Montpelier (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=99200)

EldoraMark 6/3/17 7:23 PM

Montpelier

Does anyone know if they will allow campers to come in Monday night for the Tuesday midget races?

EldoraMark 6/4/17 1:55 PM

Re: Montpelier

If anyone is interested, the answer to my question is yes. They will allow campers to pull in Monday.:8:

BrianBSU23 6/4/17 7:20 PM

Yes, campers are no problem Monday night. Thanks for joining us!

brsteg 6/4/17 7:35 PM

I will be making my first trip to Montpelier Tuesday, any one have any general tips?
Gate Open times, cooler policy, GA pricing, any reserved seating to worry about, anything else along these lines?

jjones752 6/4/17 7:47 PM

It's all on the website, but Gates @ 3, Hot Laps @ 6, racing @7...
GA 20, Pits 30
No coolers, no reserved seats.
There's a no alcohol section directly in front of the press box, to either avoid or head for depending on your inclination.
You should have a good time, it's a fun track.

BrianBSU23 6/4/17 7:50 PM

Glad you can join us!

General Admission is $20 with Pit Passes at $30. All seating is general admission. We do not allow coolers due to insurance.

My favorite place to spectate are the farthest set of pit bleachers on the west end. This is near the exit lane, push off lane, and work area.

Gates will open at 2, Hot Laps at 6, and Racing at 7.

flagboy55 6/5/17 11:55 AM

My "gray cloud" work schedule, that allows me only one off weekend a month has a "silver lining" and that is I'm off Tuesday. I'll be making my first ever trip Montpelier Speedway. My best friend has run his modified there says the track itself reminded him of the old Crown Point / Southlake / Broadway Speedway that is no longer there in Crown Point Indiana, before they banked it. Wonder if any of you have the same thoughts? Just wondering what the policy is on marking a seat? And a couple folks on here have stated the best spot is pit bleachers, and do people mark any seats in there? Coming from NWI, when I go to Kokomo, I've found my best route is to take I-65 to 18, I was wondering if doing that and staying on 18 into Montpelier would be the best bet, or east on RT-30 and then head south somewhere? Thanks for the input, and hopefully I'll meet a couple more IOW'S, and put some more faces to names.

Nate 6/5/17 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 474881)
My "gray cloud" work schedule, that allows me only one off weekend a month has a "silver lining" and that is I'm off Tuesday. I'll be making my first ever trip Montpelier Speedway. My best friend has run his modified there says the track itself reminded him of the old Crown Point / Southlake / Broadway Speedway that is no longer there in Crown Point Indiana, before they banked it. Wonder if any of you have the same thoughts? Just wondering what the policy is on marking a seat? And a couple folks on here have stated the best spot is pit bleachers, and do people mark any seats in there? Coming from NWI, when I go to Kokomo, I've found my best route is to take I-65 to 18, I was wondering if doing that and staying on 18 into Montpelier would be the best bet, or east on RT-30 and then head south somewhere? Thanks for the input, and hopefully I'll meet a couple more IOW'S, and put some more faces to names.

Last time I was there you could still mark seats there using blankets/tarps with tarp straps/tape. They don't like you using oversized seat cushions because it gets pretty packed when USAC shows up.

18 is a straight shot from 69 if you're coming directly from the west. If you're approaching from the north on 69 you can also come down through Warren (the route I took when I lived in Fort Wayne).

If I were you coming from NWI, I'd run US-30 over past Warsaw to the little town of Larwill and take SR 5 south all the way down to Warren and then from there down 3 and onto 18 and run into Montpelier. I'm a scenic route kind of guy but it all depends on how much time you have to get to Pelier. It's a pretty simple route once you take a look at it on the map.

Have fun

PushEm 6/5/17 1:08 PM

I will be there with my Push Truck so you can at least put a Truck to the name. Montpellier is a fun track.

Dirteater 6/5/17 3:49 PM

Are you allowed to get a "pass out or wristband" for GA seating after paying to get in?

BrianBSU23 6/5/17 4:49 PM

You will get a wristband when you come though the general admission window. This will serve as your pass out also.

Seats may be marked tomorrow. Please only mark what you may need.

flagboy55 6/6/17 2:45 PM

Made it, beautiful day for a race! Only 3 hours and 10 minutes from NWI. I'll be the guy with the Detroit Red Wings hat,say hi, if you want, either way enjoy the show!

nathans1012 6/6/17 6:40 PM

41 USAC Midgets.
Anyone have a car count for Sprints and modifieds?

wildman92 6/6/17 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathans1012 (Post 474963)
41 USAC Midgets.
Anyone have a car count for Sprints and modifieds?

I saw a post saying there are 20 sprints

flagboy55 6/6/17 8:37 PM

Might be the first time in my life that I went to the concession stand during a sprint car race

wildman92 6/6/17 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 474966)
Might be the first time in my life that I went to the concession stand during a sprint car race

I saw they were digging up the track and reworking it. Not that exciting?

brsteg 6/6/17 9:16 PM

Midget heats were interesting despite track conditions.
Sprints... think of a dry slick huggy pole Bloomington race minus 15 mph.. lol
We'll see what we have.
Do we have a curfew tonight?

flagboy55 6/6/17 9:21 PM

In spite of the deteriorating track, the midget heats were ok, but nothing left for the sprints. One lane around the bottom. I'm sure the re-work will help, but they have a curfew

flagboy55 6/6/17 9:40 PM

C main gives reason for hope

treecitytornado 6/6/17 9:53 PM

Only an hour till curfew.

flagboy55 6/6/17 10:25 PM

If they are firm on the curfew, some racing might not get done. Lining up midget A now

R A K 6/6/17 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brsteg (Post 474971)
Midget heats were interesting despite track conditions.
Sprints... think of a dry slick huggy pole Bloomington race minus 15 mph.. lol
We'll see what we have.
Do we have a curfew tonight?

According to their website ... yes.

BrianBSU23 6/6/17 10:34 PM

No curfew tonight. We will run the program in its entirety.

brsteg 6/7/17 12:31 AM

I had to leave after midgets; anyone know anything about the sprint feature?

tirespinner 6/7/17 12:39 AM

Bacon Windom KT S Cottle Chapple Andretti K Simon Underwood Pierce T Hewitt Main

cwfan08 6/7/17 4:16 AM

The wind and sun beating down didn't help. There wasn't much left of the track Midway through midget qualifying. It really just is what it is. we will see what tonight holds.

david mitchell 6/7/17 7:21 AM

I wasn't there last night and that sounds like a good thing.pretty late when people have to work in a few hours after completion.no excuse.how many parents were leaving with their children.sounds like a replacement may be needed for this track on the midget week schedule.not a way to grow the sport.

rj1 6/7/17 8:10 AM

Thought the midget heats were pretty good. Some of them were stacked and you had some hardcore fights in the ones that sent Darland and Abreu to the B-main.

Didn't know Kyle Larson was going to be racing til I got there. Pleasant surprise. Also, new track record holder.

You could tell the track was done with the sprint car heats. The one Jarett Andretti won was "nothing going on here".

As far as the main event, Tyler Courtney had them. Thought Bacon might've been able to get up to him and pass when they reached lap traffic but Courtney was able to negotiate it easier than Bacon could. Even after the restart with 3 to go, Courtney just left the field again. Larson's car was fast but I think he had trouble running high.

Seriously talented field when you have Jerry Coons Jr. finishing 21st.

brsteg 6/7/17 8:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 474995)
I wasn't there last night and that sounds like a good thing.pretty late when people have to work in a few hours after completion.no excuse.how many parents were leaving with their children.sounds like a replacement may be needed for this track on the midget week schedule.not a way to grow the sport.

Yea, I don't know if I would be that harsh. Looked like crowd stuck around pretty good, Midget feature was complete before 11.

I did overhear an interesting conversation between one of the track operators and Levi Jones about to not get the track that hard again.

rj1 6/7/17 8:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brsteg (Post 474997)
Yea, I don't know if I would be that harsh. Looked like crowd stuck around pretty good, Midget feature was complete before 11.

Yeah, they shuffled around the schedule. Midgets were done at 10:45. Then they ran the modified B-main, sprints and saved the modified final for last. I left after the sprint car feature a little before 11:30.

Jim Gardner 6/7/17 9:58 AM

Quote:

You want to cut the legs out from under the one track in the state that runs midgets regularly because they whiffed on track prep one time? Sounds like a better way to grow the sport. Come on man.

jjones752 6/7/17 10:47 AM

It was a Tuesday. It's called Midget Week for a reason. Kinda hard to start a weeknight show early, and track prep is more art than science. Harold and Lori bust their butts to give us a place to race, and have spent tons in money and personal sacrifice to do so, and continue to make the place both safer and more fan-friendly in the process. I was happy to go support them and USAC and look forward to many more Midget Week shows there. This has all been made possible by the foresight Harold, Brian and others had to take a chance on starting and promoting a Midget class and seeing that Open wheel racing has another place to thrive.

trannyman 6/7/17 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones752 (Post 475011)
It was a Tuesday. It's called Midget Week for a reason. Kinda hard to start a weeknight show early, and track prep is more art than science. Harold and Lori bust their butts to give us a place to race, and have spent tons in money and personal sacrifice to do so, and continue to make the place both safer and more fan-friendly in the process. I was happy to go support them and USAC and look forward to many more Midget Week shows there. This has all been made possible by the foresight Harold, Brian and others had to take a chance on starting and promoting a Midget class and seeing that Open wheel racing has another place to thrive.

I totally agree.What do people think,because it's a week night that a show can be ran sooner and faster?Geez.We're heading to Gas City tonight and I DEFINITELY don't expect to get out early.To expect anything else is unrealistic.

Charles Nungester 6/7/17 11:15 AM

Quote:

Bad Form to bash a track you weren't even at. I went last year and really enjoyed the place, the people, the racing. Also the only track running regular midget shows in Indiana on Dirt.
Let's just take their midget date even though they're trying to "Grow the sport"

11pm isn't a deal breaker for me. 1am-3am like last years four crown is.

david mitchell 6/7/17 11:53 AM

Every track should have curfew. Trannyman, what about someone who might have been there and who had a child or had to work on Wednesday.You say you don,t expect to get out of Gas City very early tonightWhy shouldn't someone expect to get out of a professional sporting event at a decent time.Barring accidents, there is nothing that should delay a racing program.Track preparation is a lot like the guy who forgets to buy a Christmas present.You know it has been on the same day for a long time.You know you have a race date on a certain day.Have the track prepared for it.Don't say that cannot be done.Hundreds of tracks do it weekly.I have nothing against Montpeiler.You see this happen all the time ,usually in the midwest for some reason.Any opinions.

BrentTFunk 6/7/17 12:00 PM

I was there, and yes it was a fairly late night. As for the track prep, sunny and a strong dry north wind has some control as to how the track turns out. I didn't really see anyone leaving until after the Midget feature. Sprint and Midget twin bills are never fast, and big car counts are never over quick. Its just the way it is. No problems from me. On to Gas City.

TQ29m 6/7/17 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 475017)
Every track should have curfew. Trannyman, what about someone who might have been there and who had a child or had to work on Wednesday.You say you don,t expect to get out of Gas City very early tonightWhy shouldn't someone expect to get out of a professional sporting event at a decent time.Barring accidents, there is nothing that should delay a racing program.Track preparation is a lot like the guy who forgets to buy a Christmas present.You know it has been on the same day for a long time.You know you have a race date on a certain day.Have the track prepared for it.Don't say that cannot be done.Hundreds of tracks do it weekly.I have nothing against Montpeiler.You see this happen all the time ,usually in the midwest for some reason.Any opinions.

Every track should have a curfew? It's open range, Mr Mitchell, you can leave when you want to, you don't sign on to stay till the end, maybe that would be the better thought, you come, you pay, you stay! Yes, curfews can be a good thing, but just because things don't run like a Swiss watch. is no reason to get your knickers in a knot, never hear of anyone complaining because a stick and ball game goes over, no, they usually go outside and riot, that's becoming isn't it, you know the game when you make the decision to go, it might not be a bad idea to bring your Jammies, or something to keep you dry, or goggles, or a mask, heaven forbid it might rain, be dusty, not! I've been to a lot more races that ran over, then I have to one's that didn't, curfew's are only to keep things from getting out of hand, like every time they race, I think maybe I'd re-read your post, and see if maybe you aren't over doing the complaint. JMHO! Bob

gtownplowboy 6/7/17 1:05 PM

I was there.sure they missed the track prep this year. Last year was one of the best races I saw.sun and wind looked out.they did try to make it better and that took time.dirt has a mind of its own sometime.as Mr.funk said, I'm to gas city.

trannyman 6/7/17 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 475017)

Well,since your directing towards me and not the several others that seem to be on the same page,I'll do my best.If you're taking children,which we are tonight, and working tomorrow,which I am,I KNOW it'll be late.And we still choose to go.Even if the whole night goes smoothly,by the time you're back on road and drive home...it's late.It's a racing
event,not a school program or ballgame.If your schedule is so tight,I'd advise a movie and dinner,instead.And seeing you didn't attend,anyway,im guessing your attendance won't be missed.

trannyman 6/7/17 1:26 PM

That's still a great thing about America,we still have choices.Do,don't do.There are things in the world that aren't to my likings but I don't expect changes just because.I just choose to do what I do like and capable of doing.Oh please,Bob,put up the beating a dead horse moji.lol