IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   USAC to mandate safety changes (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=95495)

hungthrottlepodcast 10/26/16 9:10 AM

USAC to mandate safety changes

Just saw this come through, sorry if it's already been posted and discussed (I didn't see it on my quick search)

Quote:

The U.S. Auto Club plans to announce two safety initiatives in December for its cars as a result of an investigation into the Aug. 6 accident that killed driver Bryan Clauson. USAC commissioned the Motorsports Safety Foundation, led by former IMSA executive Scott Elkins, to head the independent review and the foundation is using noted racing safety expert Dr. Terry Trammell to help conduct the investigation.

DonMoore10 10/26/16 9:47 AM

Re: USAC to mandate safety changes

Hopefully they are going to do away with all the ridiculous cockpit paneling, especially around the small confines of a midget cockpit. FYI, rescue workers don't carry screwdrivers or side cutters to dismantle how the paneling is attached. Precious seconds for precious lives.

John P Huss 10/26/16 10:03 AM

Excellent post Don.
Couldn't agree more.
Best Regards,
John

LEADERS EDGE 10/26/16 10:32 AM

Rules and initiatives are just words on paper unless enforced.

chop 10/26/16 4:00 PM

Yes lets have everyone spend the next 2 months working on rebuilding cars, ordering new stuff for 2017. Then have USAC tell them to redo, buy other stuff.

Gene Franckowiak 10/26/16 4:12 PM

Racing is a very dangerous sporrt and iff we look at some things diferently...like the cars are designed to 2016 standards of performance and technology and the tracks we race on were designed for performan and technology of 50's and 60's. The cars are going a tad fast for the tracks they race on. Second, with the containment seats and full enclosed bodies there is no room for movement in the cockpit and it is difficult to extracct an unconscience driver. Third, the officials have gone away from using the move over flag and the racers have to got to ignoring it when it is used. There is no longer prequalifications for drivers to race cars.....here in PA we have a kid who is not old enough to race a 485 HP 305 sprint car so his parents put him in a 900 HP 410 sprint car because there is no age rule.....does that make any ense to you ????? There are many reasons for tragedies.....its not just one thing...the cars need to be slowed down.

DonMoore10 10/26/16 5:08 PM

I totally agree. The cars are way too fast. Race fans come to see great competition, not speed. It's time to say goodbye to the way too expensive exotic engines.

mc/rider 10/26/16 6:58 PM

Less rr tire less speed?

Sprint63122 10/26/16 7:19 PM

Usac making new rules again good to see some people already know how that will work out with them. Until they get serious about fully checking each and every car thoroughly and putting a serial number on it all BS.

TQ29m 10/26/16 8:21 PM

Not likely, to put their stamp on it, or a decal, would indicate to a lawyer, this item has been checked and certified "safe", if that's a word anymore, so being one's not to lay claim to anything that could implicate them, or your local track for that matter, don't look for anymore than we have now, I think the thought has returned, if this guy wants to drive what he just unloaded, it's his, it's his neck, he surely wouldn't get in it if it wasn't as safe and the best he could make it. JMHO! Bob

the visitor 10/26/16 8:54 PM

Here we go with all the speculation !!!!!!!!!!!!

LEADERS EDGE 10/26/16 9:02 PM

Since Don brought it up......although I have never personally seen it....does anyone on here have an example where a right side arm guard, left side arm guard, head nets, containment seat,head supports, or top wing have caused a driver further injury due to the inability to get them out of the car? Unconscious drivers are normally taken out through the top of the cage in order to stabilize them when extracted. In the instances I have personally seen....which I am not implying it's in all situations......the time consuming portion of getting a driver out is the stabilization part....not Getting to them inside of the car. Body panels like these have been widely used for roughly 10 plus years.

I would be interested in reading real life examples rather then speculation based on personal preference.

LEADERS EDGE 10/26/16 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMoore10 (Post 461383)
I totally agree. The cars are way too fast. Race fans come to see great competition, not speed. It's time to say goodbye to the way too expensive exotic engines.

Based on what facts? What is the data to back this up? You are just presenting your opinions without real data.
Why are the highest drawing form of dirt open wheel race cars also the fastest? I don't think it's a coincidence that the WoO are the fastest and most popular.

The Chili Bowl has 900 less cars than the Shootout, most Shootout cars featuring various motors in the vein you feel is the direction of the sport, but the crowds are much higher for the Chili Bowl.

hungthrottlepodcast 10/26/16 9:24 PM

Obviously this will be some safety feature added and we don't need to speculate what that will be. However this sounds like something coming directly as a result of Bryan's accident (and likely other similar accidents).

This is just my opinion, and I have nothing to back it up, but it seems the most devastating accidents are when a car comes to rest and another car comes in and strikes the first car. Maybe they have learned something to help protect the driver in that situation? Whatever it is I hope its something that works as I don't want any drivers hurt or worse ever again.

racer5c 10/26/16 10:13 PM

I'd say the answer to that is there are more big name drivers at the Chili Bowl

racer5c 10/26/16 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE (Post 461396)
Based on what facts? What is the data to back this up? You are just presenting your opinions without real data.
Why are the highest drawing form of dirt open wheel race cars also the fastest? I don't think it's a coincidence that the WoO are the fastest and most popular.

The Chili Bowl has 900 less cars than the Shootout, most Shootout cars featuring various motors in the vein you feel is the direction of the sport, but the crowds are much higher for the Chili Bowl.

how many big name drivers are at the Shootout? that might have something to do with it

bcataldi 10/26/16 11:39 PM

The format necessary to run 1000 entries through in a week is why it doesnt draw the crowds..multiple classes..8am to 11pm is not exactly crowd friendly...they get a great crowd come the mains generally. Kevin swindell..this year chris bell...many big names have spent time at the shooter.

The format of the chili bowl ..and yes the fighter jet in a gymnasium too much hp for car..the size of track and style of racing it breeds..the level of competition and names..the time of year..the building..all are what makes it exciting and draw the crowd it does.

The panels..i dont buy the argument don puts forward. Fire may be a different story but not extracation by safety teams.

As for the safety guidelines..i assume this will be around halos and helmet to cage clearances..we are all in process of building cars now for CB. Hope we get that guidance soon. And i echo a mandate is no good without enforcement. Without that, guidance is all it is.

DonMoore10 10/27/16 12:17 AM

The topic of body panels was discussed on Facebook many weeks ago. One of the posters in this thread seems to show up with a negative agenda within seconds when I post. After the Facebook discussion I personally interviewed some EMS workers about the body panels. When I'm talking body panels, I am not referring to the right side arm guard which has been in place for many, many years nor am I referring to the sun panel across the front. I am talking about recently allowed body panels that leave a peep hole on each side of the cockpit.

Now some midget owner or owners with too much money in their pockets took a midget to a wind tunnel and found that they could experience less drag on the midget with the paneling. I know this as a fact as I was told by a very famous driver that drove for me a few years that this is how it came about.

Now back to the EMS workers. I interviewed several and pointed out several cars to them that had the paneling. I asked them if they had to rescue a driver would the paneling be a time consuming obstruction to remove and they all agreed it would be. Furthermore, I asked them if they carried screw drivers and side cutters to remove the panels and the answer was no.

So for my cars, you will never see the paneling which is now on almost every USAC and POWRI car. My number one concern as a car owner is to present safe friendly cockpit confines within reason. And yes, to the poster who shows up within seconds of my posting, the arm guard stays and the sun panel stays, thank you. If all the other car owners, USAC and POWRI feel comfortable with paneling that leaves a peep hole on each side, then so be it. Their cockpits are now successfully blocked on both sides and if there is a muffler guard, it would be three sides and with the body tubing behind that cockpit that is now four sides and if after a crash the top is blocked then all of you are rolling the dice getting a driver out quickly.

chastaj 10/27/16 7:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQ29m (Post 461392)
Not likely, to put their stamp on it, or a decal, would indicate to a lawyer, this item has been checked and certified "safe", if that's a word anymore, so being one's not to lay claim to anything that could implicate them, or your local track for that matter, don't look for anymore than we have now, I think the thought has returned, if this guy wants to drive what he just unloaded, it's his, it's his neck, he surely wouldn't get in it if it wasn't as safe and the best he could make it. JMHO! Bob

FYI, USAC does indeed put a tech sticker on the frame of the car after it is inspected, and you don't hit the track till you got it

Backitin 10/27/16 7:57 AM

Why not bubble wrap driver and car and draw pills to determine the winner. Pretty sure that will be safer.
Of course once someone gets a bubble wrap injury it will all be rethought and reengineered with the help of our friendly caring lawyer buddies.
If you don't like the thought of maybe getting killed or worse racing don't race, if you cant handle the thought of it happening to someone else don't watch or be involved.
Eventually the way things are going all racing will be done with remote control cars. Everyone knows racing is too dangerous all you have to do is read half the posts on this site to come up with that conclusion. Whats the difference if the drivers in the car or sitting in a booth with a remote in there hand, especially with todays cars the driver is hardly noticeable anyhow and in a lot of racing the driver is secondary to the cars performance anyhow.

ossuks 10/27/16 8:16 AM

Are panels also providing some protection? 1st responder should carry the equipment of their trade, I would think the equipment that a Water Rescue team would carry would not be the same as a EMS at a race track?

LEADERS EDGE 10/27/16 9:20 AM

Don.... I'm not trolling you. I am merely asking for real world examples from people. Those examples would be important to let others form their own opinions and make their own decisions. What you do with your race car is obviously your business.

I do believe however.... That if your particular race car is on it's left side, your driver is injured or knocked out and the top of the cage is blocked..... The EMS crew will have to use same exact methods to rescue your driver in your car using Right side panels as they would have to use if someone else's car was in the same situation on it's right side with left side **** pit panels.

TQ29m 10/27/16 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chastaj (Post 461418)
FYI, USAC does indeed put a tech sticker on the frame of the car after it is inspected, and you don't hit the track till you got it

May be, but we had a lawyer on our board a few years back, and at the time we were putting on a decal that said the car had been inspected, he strongly advised us to continue to ck them, but not put any decals on them to indicate an inspection had been done. Just put a ck mark by the car number. Bob

chastaj 10/27/16 3:08 PM

This discussion about body panels is insane. They are made of flimsy fiberglass in most situations. Not aluminum or steel. A small child could tear it off the car. I feel I've lowered my IQ reading this. Do they provide protection? Yes from rocks, dirt clogs, etc. From another 1000-1200# vehicle doing 80-100mph hell no. Making it sound like panels are like fiber tubs as found in Indy or F1

Bobby7j 10/27/16 3:18 PM

One rule should be manditory halos

cshuman 10/27/16 3:32 PM

In Australia, they require hood and arm guard panels to be fastened by "wingnut" dzus buttons so safety workers can take them off without needing a tool. That being said, I don't think panels are making any injuries worse. If a guy needs to get in, or out, they will. The biggest thing I think needs to be done is head clearance.. build the cars with taller cages and smaller openings. There are way too many guys running with their heads damn near even with the cage.

brettgrace 10/27/16 4:09 PM

Here in NZ you gotta have 4" head clearance strapped in with a helmet on, from memory Australia is similar. That's midget, TQ whatever.

TQ29m 10/27/16 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chastaj (Post 461452)
This discussion about body panels is insane. They are made of flimsy fiberglass in most situations. Not aluminum or steel. A small child could tear it off the car. I feel I've lowered my IQ reading this. Do they provide protection? Yes from rocks, dirt clogs, etc. From another 1000-1200# vehicle doing 80-100mph hell no. Making it sound like panels are like fiber tubs as found in Indy or F1

Sounds like it might be self induced, just sayin! Bob

trannyman 10/27/16 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chastaj (Post 461452)

I agree that the panel discussion may be in left field of the true fix,however,you may be surprised how many of mentioned panels ARE made of aluminum.a small child could tear a panel off.also left field.IF so,what holds the panel onto the car during these mentioned 100 mph speeds?

chastaj 10/27/16 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trannyman (Post 461468)
I agree that the panel discussion may be in left field of the true fix,however,you may be surprised how many of mentioned panels ARE made of aluminum.a small child could tear a panel off.also left field.IF so,what holds the panel onto the car during these mentioned 100 mph speeds?

Depending on your budget it's either duct tape or gorilla tape. Black electrical tape just won't provide adequate adhesion above 60mph

LEADERS EDGE 10/27/16 5:55 PM

[QUOTE=cshuman;461454]In Australia, they require hood and arm guard panels to be fastened by "wingnut" dzus buttons so safety workers can take them off without needing a tool. That being said, I don't think panels are making any injuries worse. If a guy needs to get in, or out, they will. The biggest thing I think needs to be done is head clearance.. build the cars with taller cages and smaller openings. There are way too many guys running with their heads damn near even with the cage.[/

Now that is simething I am board with.

artknepper 10/27/16 6:30 PM

not much you can do if the drivers head is too close to the cage... except lower the seat/ take the seat cushion out. hello spinal cord base injuries due to seat close to the torque tube now....

sp6967 10/27/16 7:59 PM

lower the driver and raise the roll cage and get rid of the torque tube by mandating front wheel drive. next problem?

cshuman 10/27/16 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artknepper (Post 461472)
not much you can do if the drivers head is too close to the cage... except lower the seat/ take the seat cushion out. hello spinal cord base injuries due to seat close to the torque tube now....

I suggested manufacturers build taller cages with smaller opening.. I agree lowering seat bars isn't a good thing for the reasons you stated.. that being said, there are a lot of guys that space their seat up, and get their head too high also.

Charles Nungester 10/28/16 12:09 AM

Now it's sprint car but Cooper Clouse and a couple others have been running Hawk Chassis and Coopers about six five and says he has a good four or five inch from helmet top to bars.

The Hawks kinda have a continuous rake from the nerfs to the rear uprights behind the seat vs to the front uprights and level out.

Agentry10 10/28/16 1:29 AM

My opinion we get in and race the darn things

cshuman 10/28/16 1:46 AM

With that mentality we would still be running without cages and wearing t shirts man.. This sport is never going to be completely safe.. but there's definitely ways to make things better.

Agentry10 10/28/16 2:07 AM

And I would be perfectly fine with that

cshuman 10/28/16 2:33 AM

Lol well alrighty then

Backitin 10/28/16 7:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp6967 (Post 461480)
lower the driver and raise the roll cage and get rid of the torque tube by mandating front wheel drive. next problem?

front wheel drive would do on a winged car, help them not get sideways. They hate that.