IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   No Clue as to dirt track racing. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=69689)

awnunn 6/14/13 1:50 PM

No Clue as to dirt track racing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/sp...ck-racing.html

awnunn 6/14/13 1:52 PM

Re: No Clue as to dirt track racing.

Wonder how much research they did before writing this. Prob not much.

Wrench Turner 6/14/13 1:57 PM

Talking about the safety of walls? Dirt tracks with no walls are much safer (as long as the spectator seating is placed appropriately). I don't care what anyone says. Walls stop kinetic energy...quickly. A lack of a wall allows the cars stopping and rolling time. Tears up a lot less equipment too.:22:

hoosier race fan 6/14/13 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awnunn (Post 336222)
Wonder how much research they did before writing this. Prob not much.

Should have come here to ask all the experts.

Posted via Mobile Device

Sawdust101 6/14/13 2:06 PM

What a load of crap in this article. They have no clue about sprint car racing. They sound just like the anti-gun people.

brettgrace 6/14/13 2:12 PM

So according to the physics professor and author, if its got a wing on it then its MORE unstable? Someone ought to invite her out to the burg tomorrow for a refresher in reality...

Posted via Mobile Device

apexonephoto 6/14/13 2:25 PM

I don't follow any other sports. But when I see "the media" reporting on racing, I realize they are probably just as clueless and incorrect about everything else they talk about.

dirtguy34 6/14/13 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettgrace (Post 336229)
So according to the physics professor and author, if its got a wing on it then its MORE unstable? Someone ought to invite her out to the burg tomorrow for a refresher in reality...

Posted via Mobile Device

How about they take a 2 seater ride non wing style with Hewitt.Then take one with a wing!

Motormasher 6/14/13 2:52 PM

that was 'the most rediculous' article Ive ever read about dirt track racing

Posted via Mobile Device

JarrettFarms73 6/14/13 3:03 PM

ESPN ran an AP article that had the same type of crap in it. I was so mad I created a profile so I could comment & steer people right. In vain most likely but hey, I was mad. :)

What scares me about the PC police is I just saw a headline where a school teacher was let go because she had an abusive ex boyfriend. Apparently he's been deemed a threat to the student body. But then again, that was a press headline so who knows how true...

Posted via Mobile Device

illinisprintfan 6/14/13 3:22 PM

Ignorance of a subject matter has never seemed to slow down "journalists" from writing about it. Chances are the NY Times doesn't have a writer on staff who has attended a dirt track race. The danger here is the portrayal of dirt tracks as shoddily run deathtraps with no regard for safety. Some self serving politician, who could care less about Jason or any other driver, is likely to see this and want to make a name for himself and gain some face time on TV. To any politician out there who might be reading this, please stick to what you do best, :34: and keep away from auto racing. Thanks.

a tall Short fan 36 6/14/13 4:24 PM

yes ... if Bloomington only had stronger walls.....

johnnythunderhead 6/14/13 5:33 PM

agreed, who ever the moron/ morons were who wrote that article are, they have not a clue and are pulling words right out of their A---s/ that is an f- if ever there was one, I would recommend they be terminated!

Posted via Mobile Device

ronmil 6/14/13 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a tall Short fan 36 (Post 336247)
yes ... if Bloomington only had stronger walls.....

That comment stood out like a sore thumb!

bigmojo5 6/14/13 5:57 PM

Contrary to many, I think the New York Times article did an excellent job of trying to be fair and balanced. They got the opposing views from the World of Outlaws and the owner of Jackson Speedway. In fact, I thought the comments of those two sources were more damning than that of the professor. "It's the driver's and team's responsibilities." I've seen too many promoters turn their heads as drivers paid their $20 and then raced in tennis shoes, or driving suits repaired with duct tape. I witnessed one driver allowed to duct tape his arm restraints on prior to qualifying at one of the scariest tracks in the nation.

There comes a time when it is the promoter's responsibility, and the responsibility of a sanctioning body, to say you can't race until you fix it. It should also be a priority of race teams, as I think it is for most.

I do not believe Jason Leffler had inferior safety equipment. I think he had the best available. I do not know what type of inspection of safety equipment happened that day. But, even that probably would have done nothing to prevent this tragedy.

But, as I read more and more stories, and posts, I understand that while we accuse the media of being biased, we ourselves are being biased in the defense of our sport.

On another thought, it amuses me to see people referring to a concrete wall as a safety device for drivers. It never has been. It has always been a safety device for spectators to prevent cars from running into the grandstands -- as happened too many times in the infancy of our sport.

Midget 89 6/14/13 6:03 PM

New York Times proclaims: "Danger Lurks in Dirt Track Racing." Are our "experts" suggesting pavement racing is far less dangerous? They should get out of the office before writing their articles. :10:

nowingsjeff 6/14/13 8:34 PM

Auto racing in the State of New Jersey is regulated by the State Police. Whether it be a local dirt track, drag strip or a road course, the police are there before the event to inspect cars and enforce NJ safety rules. Leffler's car had to be inspected that night and given the OK to be on the track.

65 Push Truck 6/14/13 9:50 PM

According to NY Times 291 people died on the streets of NYC last year, with 119 of those dying from motor vehicle accidents alone....so it seems it might be safer on a dirt track with other professional driver than trading paint with wackos of NYC. Typical "big city" Bull that they know what's best for us uneducated backwoods bumpkins. Maybe Bloomberg will buy some commercial time here in Indiana to try and ban dirt tracks...:14:

Posted via Mobile Device

racer-x 6/14/13 10:02 PM

All i had to see is the story was writen by the NEW YORK TIMES and i could have told you it was more a agenda then the truth. Maybe mayor DOOMBURG will BAN sprint car racing like he did banning a 16 ounce soda. Im sure the media would not waist there time on a racers good days winning races or championship.

JarrettFarms73 6/14/13 11:27 PM

Found this tonight. Dave Blaney interview and his take. A lil more realistic approach IMHO.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2423991

Posted via Mobile Device

captrat 6/15/13 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmojo5 (Post 336264)
Contrary to many, I think the New York Times article did an excellent job of trying to be fair and balanced. They got the opposing views from the World of Outlaws and the owner of Jackson Speedway. In fact, I thought the comments of those two sources were more damning than that of the professor. "It's the driver's and team's responsibilities." I've seen too many promoters turn their heads as drivers paid their $20 and then raced in tennis shoes, or driving suits repaired with duct tape. I witnessed one driver allowed to duct tape his arm restraints on prior to qualifying at one of the scariest tracks in the nation.

There comes a time when it is the promoter's responsibility, and the responsibility of a sanctioning body, to say you can't race until you fix it. It should also be a priority of race teams, as I think it is for most.

I do not believe Jason Leffler had inferior safety equipment. I think he had the best available. I do not know what type of inspection of safety equipment happened that day. But, even that probably would have done nothing to prevent this tragedy.

But, as I read more and more stories, and posts, I understand that while we accuse the media of being biased, we ourselves are being biased in the defense of our sport.

On another thought, it amuses me to see people referring to a concrete wall as a safety device for drivers. It never has been. It has always been a safety device for spectators to prevent cars from running into the grandstands -- as happened too many times in the infancy of our sport.

Bias is in the eye of the beholder. What is more upsetting is the journalistic mixing of reporting and editorializing found in this story by Pilon and Bernstein. This story only "has legs" because these two writers are at best vaguely acquainted with Jason Leffler via his NASCAR career. This is journalism at its worst. Obviously little research was done, and certainly neither writer has any direct experience with dirt track racing. This is nothing more than chasing a story via a provocative headline, followed by a few quotes and conclusions drawn from individual perception rather than good reporting techniques, i.e. get all the facts first, then write your story!

Charles Nungester 6/15/13 11:33 AM

Biggest Crock I've ever seen. Maybe they didnt see Indy at Vegas?

racephoto1 6/15/13 2:11 PM

Who reads that rag anyway ?