Indiana Open Wheel
Page 1 of 2

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Support Staab (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=5446)

D.O. 5/10/08 2:56 PM

Support Stabb

We all know that most of USAC reads here.

Maybe if we post some Greg Staab support it will get read.
:dologob:

I've known Greg for a long time and his passion for the sport cannot be questioned. Why move to Indy ?

He knows both and all sides of the sport and has done a lot for USAC with events and saving SprintWeek.

Hopefully the rumours are just that!

Dan O. Laycock

How about some love for the DOG !

Dave Rudisell 5/10/08 3:24 PM

Re: Support Staab

I met Greg two years ago when i got the lease for Lawrenceburg Speedway. Since that time, Greg has helped me out in many many ways. From his advice to me about promoting, to his hard work to rebuild USAC Indiana Sprint Week at Lawrenceburg due to previous year fiasco. Greg has been a great value to USAC, as a promotor i have alot of respect for Greg and what he has done for the sport.
Good luck Greg whatever you are doing.
Dave Rudisell GM Lawrenceburg Speedway

deannalynn 5/10/08 3:30 PM

There is a rich racing tradition in the midwest (especially for Indiana and Ohio clay) that Mr. Staab has been an important part of. While I see there are these rumors, it is not fair to speculate in a negative way. Mr. Staab has been a great asset to this sport we love for decades. I can tell from the message boards that he has earned much of your respect over the years. I'm sure lots of people will follow suit and respond with positive comments.

I won't tell you how long I've been a fan of his - 'cause then I'd be telling my age. :checkered:

:checkered:

Pat O'Connor Fan 5/10/08 4:41 PM

I met Greg Staab the first time he and his father ran a midget at Terre Haute (that is a heck of a long time ago) and I've seen him as a driver, an owner, a promoter, a mechanic, and a USAC official. I respect him in all of those things!
I do not have warm, fuzzy feelings about the future of USAC.
Whatever Greg's future, I'll bet it will be better than USAC's.

Charles Nungester 5/10/08 7:35 PM

Name ten people that are responsible for USAC still being here today and thriving.

Greg's among the top of that list.

Chuck, Unless he's leaving voluntarily, USAC's pretty much off my calandar.

throb 5/10/08 8:29 PM

stabb is the man....need i say more?

trickyricky 5/10/08 9:38 PM

I have had the pleasure of working with Greg and his dad from running USAC midgets in the mid 70's to starting with sprints cars in the late 70's and on thru 1986 and most of his championships at Lawrenceburg. Helping Greg thru those ten years I had grown to know his passion for the sport and wanting someday to work for USAC when his racing career was over. Greg has obviously done an outstanding job at his position with USAC just from listening to all the racers compliments about him and the way he treated them. We did not get that kind of treatment with the old USAC as many of you well know. If Greg has moved on I just hope that it was his decision and not ******** within USAC. Greg if you read this I wish you the very best because you deserve it.

Ric Schwarm

IndyBound 5/10/08 10:04 PM

Chuck, I think we all know Greg Staab is not leaving USAC voluntarily. We also know USAC has thrived because of Greg being there. He has totally devoted himself to his responsibilites at USAC over the past three years.

Throb, yes Staab is the man. He will bring a great amount of racing experience and knowledge to whatever organization he joins next. USAC is losing the hardest working employee they had.

Patti

Bruce Harrison 5/10/08 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan:
I've seen him as a driver, an owner, a promoter, a mechanic, and a USAC official. I respect him in all of those things!
I do not have warm, fuzzy feelings about the future of USAC.
Whatever Greg's future, I'll bet it will be better than USAC's.

Couldn't have said it better! :thumb

speedy20 5/10/08 11:53 PM

I have known Greg Staab for over 20 years. The man eats, sleeps, breathes sprint car racing. He would do no harm to the sport he loves. USAC is making a HUGE mistake by letting him go. He is the man.

Jeff Simonton

Jerry Spencer 5/11/08 3:37 AM

There is talk of boycotts by fan's and some teams because Mr. Staab is out at U.S.A.C. I hope that this thing can be worked out so that everyone involved can go on to make U.S.A.C. the best racing around.

We have got to work together and move forward or we may not have the racing we are used to. I suggest if you have something good or bad to say pass it on to the people at U.S.A.C.

I have known Greg for over thirty years and he is part of the reason we decided to run with U.S.A.C. as much as we can, on the same note everyone we have dealt with at U.S.A.C. has went out of there way to make us feel welcome. My vote is to keep Greg on and lets move forward together.

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com

Seadog 5/11/08 8:20 AM

I have supported USAC thru the good times and the bad for over 50 years. Thru the USAC/CART split in the late seventies, and even thru the SC debacle recently. But if Kevin Miller and company is the reason Greg is leaving, they will not have my support any more.

You need to keep Greg (if he wants to stay) for the fans, drivers, owners, and for the well-being of USAC.

fishnman 5/11/08 9:00 AM

Just thinking about the mid 80's and the domination at the burg.

Of all the USAC meetings I have gotten the opportunity to attend, Greg has always been very cordial, professional, and yet at the same time made you feel like those times you were just sitting around having great conversation among friends. ALWAYS wanting what was in the best interest of sprint car racing, the drivers and the fans.

One thing for sure, when the fans of Pennsylvania get all that Usac action here very soon, action that last year received all kinds of praise from the PA folks, IMO they will have Greg to thank.

Supermod 5/11/08 1:37 PM

Personally, I think a boycott is the worst thing that could be done. Since Greg is the man who is responsible for this year's schedule, wouldn't that be sending the message to the current adminstration that they were right in getting rid of him?

What we should do, is show up in force at every 2008 USAC race with all the banners, bedsheets and signs we can come up with, showing our support of Greg Staab.

It may be the worst run organization in the world, however take it from someone who has to travel 600+ miles to get to Indiana, USAC has the best racing in the world.

later,

Bob Mays

racechic66 5/11/08 1:37 PM

The news of Greg's departure from USAC is very SAD news for us. Jim and I have known Greg for years. He is not only a true racer himself but he has the LOVE, & PASSION for the sport. How many of the officals in the USAC office can say they have the true passion? Most of them I am sure "it's just a job"
Greg has went out of his way in many instances to help us (as well as other teams I am sure) no matter what the problem may be. If there were any issues if he didn't know he would try and find out.
This would be a HUGE loss to USAC if they decide to go threw with this.
It will be interesting to see the 2009 Racing Schedule???
What-ever Greg's future holds for him we wish him the best and much success. Hopefully USAC will reconsider the postion that Greg Stabb holds with the company.

Jim and Cindi Whiteside

Crankin 5/11/08 5:03 PM

I have been trying for week to come up with something provocative, yet of course, "P.C.", to say about USAC letting Greg go. Inevitably though, my small mind just keeps screaming this:
IT'S JUST PLAIN F%*KIN' STUPID, ON ALL LEVELS, TO LET HIM GO! :thumbsdown:

Sorry. That's just how I feel about it.

Pat O'Connor Fan 5/11/08 8:12 PM

Re: Support Stabb

Originally Posted by D.O.:
We all know that most of USAC reads here.

Hey Dan, I doubt that the USAC office folks are spending much time reading IOW now that so many IOWers have expressed their opinions on this most recent screw up :loser: :O: :rolling

nonwing 5/11/08 8:46 PM

I've also known Greg for many years and in fact ended up with his Gambler pavement car that he won with on ESPN Thunder at IRP. I then took the same car and won the '95 Paragon Championship. I consider Greg a friend and last year got to spend some time with him at the Dusick Go Cart Open talking about racing in general and his job at USAC. He was excited about the opporitunity, but also knew the history well and what he was up against to make things better for USAC and their racers.

If Greg does move away from USAC he will find his footing quickly and be successful in what ever he ends up doing. His heart is in the right place and I think we all know that. The problem is, does the new USAC management see the same thing? Let's hope so.

George Wilkins

throb 5/11/08 10:28 PM

something else that i noticed.....i have never heard a bad word about mr. staab.....usually someone has something negative to say about someone on here but never a negative word about greg...that should say something in itself.........just a thought

Millsvideo 5/13/08 12:13 AM

I realize my opinion means very little, but I do wish to say some things about Greg Staab, the man...

In his tenure in USAC, Greg has been, with the possible exception of Dick Jordan, the most dedicated, hard working, and yes, most PASSIONATE person at 4910 W. 16th Street in Speedway, Indiana. Greg is usually the first person in the office in the morning, getting in well before his scheduled start time, then puts in a full day just like everyone else. He answers emails, returns phone calls, and goes about the business of talking with promoters, participants, as well as fans. In the past few years, Greg has been the answer man at USAC. He always tells you the truth as he knows it, and will never lie to you. On occasion, when he can't divulge information, he will simply say, "I can't speak on that". I respect Greg for that. He is honest, forthright, and quite simply, a good man. He's one of those guys I would go to war with. If you gain his trust and respect, he'd do just about anything for you. He'd have your back, which is not something I can say about a lot of men in this world. He's done everything he can to help build up USAC. Greg has been a rock, and despite often having his hands tied, has created quite a schedule for all three National series the past few years. He has loved working for USAC. Having moved to Indianapolis from Cincy, he bought a house close to the USAC office just so he could devote as much time to the series as possible. Greg has been a huge asset to USAC. I wish he was staying on, because he has done a lot of very good things for the series.

He may not be the most articulate, politically correct person, or be the most proficient at clerical work, but his PASSION, zeal, and love for all things sprint car racing, and specifically, the United States Auto Club are arguably second to none. Greg has all my respect, and all my support. I am proud to call him friend.

Sincerely,

Dean Mills

throb 5/13/08 12:20 AM

well said dean.......

wbr 5/13/08 12:27 PM

We are very new on the scene and I have only spoken with Greg Staab a couple of times. I rely on advise from a few "old timers" in the sport and they have nothing but praise for Greg Staab; therefore I will also support him.

D.O. 5/19/08 11:05 PM

Rumor has it that these post might be helping the cause to keep Greg at USAC.
Show The Dog some more love fans !

Mud Packer 5/20/08 6:15 AM

I don't know Greg but from what I have read on here he must be a great guy. Lord only knows that USAC can use all of the help they can get.:help: I realize that this has been a PR nightmare.:icon_smile_blackeye With that being said, why would he want to stay if he isn't wanted?:headbang

tjtomthumb 5/20/08 7:07 AM

I hope USAC tries to keep Greg Staab on board. Greg has always made it a point to speak when I see him and if you have a suggestion or comment, for or against a USAC policy, he will at least politely listen to what you have to say.

I used to be very active with DARF "Dayton Auto Racing Fan" Club and every year on the 4th Tuesday of March is our "Promoter's Night Meeting", which is a night all track promoters that support DARF, sanctioning bodies etc. are invited to attend and make announcements about their plans and schedules for the upcoming season. This is always a "standing room only" packed house meeting of members, fans, press people, promoters and sanctioning body representatives. This meeting is held in Dayton, OH and Greg has made sure he personally and usually one other person is there every year making the trip from the Indy area to pass out schedules, talk to the members, chat with the promoters and press in a relaxed setting and promote USAC.

I think USAC in the long run will, if they let Staab leave, definitely regret it. If there is some differences of opinion, or whatever the reason is, I hope all involved will sit down and try to work things out.

Even though USAC is probably the best open wheel sanctioning body to Greg Staab and where he prefers to be, I really don't see him walking away from open wheel racing, and if I was USAC, I think I would rather have Greg onboard with USAC than being offered a position with a different organization down the road, as he will work very hard at promoting open wheel racing, no matter where he is or what organization he is with.

Whatever happens, we wish Greg and USAC the best of luck.

etpro43 5/20/08 7:25 AM

Greg does love the sport, I've known him for about 5 or 6 years and he has always been friendly to us. 2 years ago I saw him in Atlantic City at the Area Auto Trade Show just walking around talking with track owners and promoters. Now what did we get out of that?? A great east coast swing with the sprint cars. Now this year he went one up and he worked a USAC booth at the very same show increasing the fan interest and getting people excited about the east coast swing again. If Greg did not work for USAC I firmly believe that USAC would not have an east coast presence at all.

etpro43 5/20/08 7:26 AM

Greg does love the sport, I've known him for about 5 or 6 years and he has always been friendly to us. 2 years ago I saw him in Atlantic City at the Area Auto Trade Show just walking around talking with track owners and promoters. Now what did we get out of that?? A great east coast swing with the sprint cars. Now this year he went one up and he worked a USAC booth at the very same show increasing the fan interest and getting people excited about the east coast swing again. If Greg did not work for USAC I firmly believe that USAC would not have an east coast presence at all.

Eric Orschel
SC 99

IndyBound 5/20/08 7:52 AM

Greg Staab truly found his niche when he went to work for USAC. The definition of niche reads, a place or position for which a person is specially fitted. Greg is that special person USAC needs, I hope they wake up before it is too late.

Patti

midget96 5/20/08 9:01 AM

Hey, we all know that most of USAC reads this but have they paid attention to what has been typed about Mr. Staab. All the comments are from the people that pay their salary and keep the office of USAC open. These are from the fans, racers, owners, and promotors, etc. point of view about keeping him and they just dont listen to the REAL people that make USAC. I wouldnt worry about them reading this I would call them or ask them at the track!!!!!!!! Then see what kind of response you get from the higher ups.

Just a thought.

SpfldMile 5/20/08 9:13 AM

When a new regime takes over any organization, there is always some house cleaning. Most of the time it is getting rid of dead weight, good people are held on to. What is the reason a top notch person is let go? There is good business people in here, come on, you guys know the answer.

Pat O'Connor Fan 5/20/08 10:34 AM

Maybe Greg didn't nod his head like a bobble-head when the "new vision" was revealed by KM.
Does anyone here really believe that USAC can find the tracks/promoters to run 15 - 20 "big" events annually with multiple USAC divisions competing for increased purses, almost exclusively on pavement??
JMO, but if POWRi would add a sprint car division, and hire Greg, they could bury USAC in a couple years.

Seadog 5/20/08 11:21 AM

Maybe Greg didn't nod his head like a bobble-head when the "new vision" was revealed by KM.
Does anyone here really believe that USAC can find the tracks/promoters to run 15 - 20 "big" events annually with multiple USAC divisions competing for increased purses, almost exclusively on pavement??
JMO, but if POWRi would add a sprint car division, and hire Greg, they could bury USAC in a couple years.

The "almost exclusively on pavement" is just an unsubstantiated rumor according to Kevin Miller when he was on the D.O. show a couple weeks ago. The rest of it he did more or less say on there.

Blackduce 5/20/08 11:44 AM

SpfldMile, well I really don't know the answer you are talking about. Please explain the details for me. This will help me out alot with your knowledge.

Lynn

nonwing 5/20/08 12:17 PM

I must point out that I don't race with USAC anymore and I'm not sure if I ever get another chance to, so my voice is pretty small in comparison to most of you. However I would like to make a valuable suggestion.

While this communication vehicle of using this board is making some head way, I suggest all of you write a letter to Mr. Miller voicing your opinion on Greg. If we bombard him with letters that may have an impact.

In addition to the letters, maybe we call ahead for an appointment with Mr. Miller and all go down there and meet with Mr. Miller to discuss our thoughts. USAC is suppose to be a "Club" so the members of this "Club" need an opportunity to voice their opinion in an orderly way.:checkered:

Next steps...
First thing though is to make an effort to send letters. To make your job easier, just copy what you said on the board and paste it on your letter head, then add some other things you want to say about Greg. It's easy to use this board, but if you cause him to make the time to open a hundred letters then that will really say something.

Then, if that falls on deaf ears, let's set up a time to meet with him as a group. Have a spokesperson lead the group. That way everyone is not talking all at once and it will be more productive as well.

Guys and gals, if you really want to make a difference, this is the way to do it.

George Wilkins

RHatch 5/20/08 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by nonwing:
While this communication vehicle of using this board is making some head way, I suggest all of you write a letter to Mr. Miller voicing your opinion on Greg. If we bombard him with letters that may have an impact.

Has anyone talked with Mr. Staab? Does he want our help? Does he really want to be there anymore under the new administration? Maybe there is a better organization where his passion for the sport, experience and hard work can actually be valued.

I haven't talked to him, it's just a question.

SpfldMile 5/20/08 12:42 PM

Deuce, I just think that the only way you force out a high caliber person is if they are a threat to your leadership. Just an opinion, of course.

Pat O'Connor Fan 5/20/08 1:48 PM

Originally Posted by nonwing:
However I would like to make a valuable suggestion.

In addition to the letters, maybe we call ahead for an appointment with Mr. Miller and all go down there and meet with Mr. Miller to discuss our thoughts. USAC is suppose to be a "Club" so the members of this "Club" need an opportunity to voice their opinion in an orderly way.:checkered:

Next steps...
First thing though is to make an effort to send letters. To make your job easier, just copy what you said on the board and paste it on your letter head, then add some other things you want to say about Greg. It's easy to use this board, but if you cause him to make the time to open a hundred letters then that will really say something.

Then, if that falls on deaf ears, let's set up a time to meet with him as a group. Have a spokesperson lead the group. That way everyone is not talking all at once and it will be more productive as well.

Guys and gals, if you really want to make a difference, this is the way to do it.

George Wilkins

This post by George is one of the most reasonable posts I've read on IOW in quite some time.
Let's do it!!

BrentTFunk 5/20/08 1:49 PM

if POWRi would add a sprint car division, and hire Greg, they could bury USAC in a couple years.

Isn't that what said about NAMARS? I haven't heard much from them lately.

nonwing 5/20/08 1:54 PM

RHatch, you make a very good point. I had that in my early draft, but figured we should do our part and then Greg can make his own decision.

Let's see if anyone really knows what Greg wants to do. If he wants to stay we should help. If not, at least we made a statement.

George Wilkins

cecil98 5/20/08 2:33 PM

Originally Posted by RHatch:
Has anyone talked with Mr. Staab? Does he want our help? Does he really want to be there anymore under the new administration? Maybe there is a better organization where his passion for the sport, experience and hard work can actually be valued.

I haven't talked to him, it's just a question.

Yes, I have and Greg will take all of the support he can get. He loves that job and would love to continue serving the fans, drivers and teams of USAC.