IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Amsa and mmsa (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=52109)

minispeed 8/22/11 2:35 PM

Amsa and mmsa

How nice would that be.....40 plus cars at every track. Means bigger purse, more tracks. We would have the upper hand. I am asking bill and jerry to think about it....please for the drivers and the sport.:6:

Midget18 8/22/11 2:40 PM

Re: Amsa and mmsa merging to form the america

I would love to see this happen also, but I really dont think it ever will.

What I would like to see is some joint races, once a month or something like that. This way you could still have the 2 seperate organizations but still be there separate orgainzations.

Nice thing about the 2 organizations is MMSA takes care of Southern Indiana while AMSA takes care of the Ohio guys.

TQ29m 8/22/11 3:20 PM

Sounds good, probably looks good on paper, but I'm not going to hold my breath, with this economy being what it is/isn't, promoters probably couldn't stand it, and with that many cars, and only running half of them, that's too much in the shorts, for the guys that don't make the show, seems like right now, your lucky to get 5 butts in the seats, for each car on the track, and that sure don't pay the bills. JMHO, but I'm thinkin it is as good as it's gonna be, at least till 2013. Bob!:)

somebodysmam 8/22/11 3:38 PM

Where would the money come from to pay the bigger purses.You have to beg now to get what little purse there is.

WBR 3E 8/22/11 3:40 PM

40 cars mean 20 go home without running an A, before long you're back down to 20 - 25 cars but with fewer choices of tracks. We have ran at Waynesfield, with MMSA (primarily for the opportunity to run non-wing), and AMSA, and like the wide variety of options. I'd love to see some joint-sanctioned shows, maybe a even a 'mini-sprint nationals' type event at a track that has historically been a good supporter of the class. At a minimum, it would be good to match up the rulebooks to make it easier to jump back and forth.

Greg

bowbuild 8/22/11 6:11 PM

Same rules two divisions then chapinship at end of year.

Wayne Davis 8/22/11 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WBR 3E (Post 249326)
I'd love to see some joint-sanctioned shows, maybe a even a 'mini-sprint nationals' type event at a track that has historically been a good supporter of the class. At a minimum, it would be good to match up the rulebooks to make it easier to jump back and forth.

Greg

Greg I did that back in Feb. here in Florida an am doing it again...the winternational tee shirts had AMSA/MMSA/WIMS/SSLS..all way included ...going to be bigger and better next year

harry jones 8/22/11 9:08 PM

who ever posted this had better have their head checked, do you think Bill May will give up mmsa. not on your life. to bad he won't go over and work with the amsa. think of the great car count 1 association would have, but, what association would it be? the amsa has been around for years. and everyone and the promoters all know that name. mmsa has been around just a few years. and beginning to make a name for itself. wonder why none of the mmsa guys don't race with the amsa when they don't have a race. Mr Tague don't mind his members racing with mmsa when he don't have a race. but there has to be a reason for that. (maybe they was told not to run with amsa) just my say so, will get alot of flunk about that statement

DAD 8/22/11 9:24 PM

They seem to have two different outlook,s on racing that makes in nice for those of us that don't agree with one or the other. If I did not have a choice a few years ago I would probably be sitting at home on the week-ends and saving lots of money.
How about changing the rules to make drive shafts optional and getting some of the older mini-sprints to run with us?

DAD

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Hell Harry we don't have the horsepower to run with those guy's, we run stock 1000cc motors. They (JT)didn't make me feel too welcome at the Tulsa race. Spent the whole week and not even a Hi pitted right next to him. Still got that old nerf bar too.

slide22 8/22/11 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry jones (Post 249353)
who ever posted this had better have their head checked, do you think Bill May will give up mmsa. not on your life. to bad he won't go over and work with the amsa. think of the great car count 1 association would have, but, what association would it be? the amsa has been around for years. and everyone and the promoters all know that name. mmsa has been around just a few years. and beginning to make a name for itself. wonder why none of the mmsa guys don't race with the amsa when they don't have a race. Mr Tague don't mind his members racing with mmsa when he don't have a race. but there has to be a reason for that. (maybe they was told not to run with amsa) just my say so, will get alot of flunk about that statement

You really need to just go away. From the looks of things Bill May is doing just fine, would like to run with him more. Hopefully he can have the races at KC and Moler next year. :8:

suzuki756 8/22/11 9:38 PM

it could work 6 races 3 on amsa track 3 mmsa. be nice 1 with no wing

Phylo82 8/22/11 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry jones (Post 249353)

Harry, just because you have been around for years doesn't mean you are any better than the guy who just set up shop.

We have run with Bill and the MMSA and he does a great job. I can tell you right now that next season there is a strong likelihood we will run wherever we decide we want to run no matter who is running the show.

I agree with what others have posted....let the MMSA have their Indiana tracks, the AMSA L-Burg and other misc Ohio tracks, but then have the two organizations run some joint races at locations that could be agreed to. It would be awesome to see some events that had 30+ cars.

Would also like to see Twin Cities back on the schedule. That would be a great venue for a joint event, as would L-Burg, Brownstown and Waynesfield.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by minispeed (Post 249317)
How nice would that be.....40 plus cars at every track. Means bigger purse, more tracks. We would have the upper hand. I am asking bill and jerry to think about it....please for the drivers and the sport.:6:

By the way...excellent job of stirring things up! :8::32:

Bradleyracing86 8/22/11 10:07 PM

Haha comedy at it's best..!! How bout the MMSA gets a corporate sponsor and absorbs the AMSA tracks.. I don't mind Ohio if it's on a Saturday and Sunday.. Bill is a great promoter and works for the racer.. (Boom goes the dynamite)
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

And how about a 50:50 wing / non wing schedule..
Posted via Mobile Device

George Pollock 8/22/11 10:08 PM

I am a serious racer and been racing all my audult life.
AMSA was my primary sanctioning group for two years.
I got fustrated by non sense rules, the click and ******** that wore me out.
I do not race AMSA events unless they are at Waynesfield.
That is now my home track even though I live and travel from Virginia.
Race with MMSA and have never had any problems and sound rules that are fair.
I wish MMSA ran more races in Ohio such as Moler, Raceway 35, KC and even L' Berg.
Bill May your are doing a great job, keep the ******** out and rules simple you will keep growing car counts.

My thoughts as a true racer.

George Pollock

DAD 8/22/11 10:11 PM

MMSA is having a 2 day show on Oct 7-8 for the Fun-Fest at Brownstown. I never had much "fun" at the burg fun-fest because of pit problems and problems even getting to the race track on time. Last year we all pitted together in the back of the pits and had a really good time. If you have never raced there it is one of the better tracks for mini-sprints wide smooth and not too big or not too small and real side by side racey.

Phylo82 8/22/11 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAD (Post 249369)
MMSA is having a 2 day show on Oct 7-8 for the Fun-Fest at Brownstown. I never had much "fun" at the burg fun-fest because of pit problems and problems even getting to the race track on time. Last year we all pitted together in the back of the pits and had a really good time. If you have never raced there it is one of the better tracks for mini-sprints wide smooth and not too big or not too small and real side by side racey.

We have considered running Fun-Fests....my only concern is exactly what you said, how much fun are they? I have concerns about putting my car/driver on the track with other guys who may be behind the wheel for the first time.

Not really interested in tearing up a car for 'fun'. :18:

somebodysmam 8/22/11 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAD (Post 249355)
They seem to have two different outlook,s on racing that makes in nice for those of us that don't agree with one or the other. If I did not have a choice a few years ago I would probably be sitting at home on the week-ends and saving lots of money.
How about changing the rules to make drive shafts optional and getting some of the older mini-sprints to run with us?

DAD

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Hell Harry we don't have the horsepower to run with those guy's, we run stock 1000cc motors. They (JT)didn't make me feel too welcome at the Tulsa race. Spent the whole week and not even a Hi pitted right next to him. Still got that old nerf bar too.

do you still run that old nerf bar according to the rules and does anyone check it.

Bradleyracing86 8/22/11 10:47 PM

Not that many 1st timers are going to obtain a ride just for fun fest. and besides that your driver was a 1st timer at one time:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Phylo82 8/22/11 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 (Post 249378)
Not that many 1st timers are going to obtain a ride just for fun.. and besides that your driver was a 1st timer at one time:)
Posted via Mobile Device

I undrestand that....but he had raced before. And I didn't put him in a car until he had been on the track by himself a couple of times.

I have heard that some teams let other friends / family drive their cars at fun-fest.....I don't want to be anywhere near that.

DAD 8/22/11 11:21 PM

We didn't tear up stuff last year. It's a great time to meet other racers when they aren't out for blood. You have plenty of time to walk around and bull with one another. When we are racing that's all we think about (sure hope this race does not count for perfect attendance awards) that would take some of the fun out of it. If you have a new driver put them next to a guy with experience for help with set up if they want help, put a flag on the car start them on the back and have fun. Remember SEAT TIME SEAT TIME SEAT TIME.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

I can still remember dodging the Bradley boy's a few years ago now we are trying to keep up with them. .Time makes a difference

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Only at the "Chili Bowl" can you see a first timer running side by side with Sammy Swindell and sometimes surviving.

Mike M 67 8/22/11 11:30 PM

I just want everyone to know that Bill May has never told us not to go run with another group when the MMSA did not have a race.

We have run with both groups at one time or another.

Just want to see all cars on a level playing field.

I would like to see all cars with motors stock out of the bike. No extra's, No changing cams, No changing valve springs, No milling heads, etc.

Last Saturday at Lawrenceburg we went to watch and we saw this in hot laps.

#28 car on alchohol ran 15.452 in hot laps according to track timing.

#13T Stock on Gas in hot laps was 15.545

I do not know if the #28 has had any motor work done or not, but was told that the 13T was pure stock on gas.

DAD 8/22/11 11:57 PM

We run alky it's not a big deal. Alky Makes motor run a lot cooler we now run smaller radiator and no fan now and no overheating. Alky is also safer than gas in case of a wreck. We are running between 40 and 70 psi fuel pressuer in these things and one of the first things a lot of people leave out when cutting down the wire harness is the fuel pump shut off. That means if a driver gets knocked out and a fuel line breaks we are squirting fuel 30 to 40 feat and if it catches fire I would rather it be alky Than gas. Now, we cross the scales at about 1040 lbs I don't think that's too fair either. Rules will never be fair for every one, we probably do need to address the fuel pump shut of deal. We make our own alky injection and I can guess it is about a $350.00 TO $1000.00 option DEPENDING ON if you have POWER COMANDER fuel pump and filters.

Bradleyracing86 8/23/11 4:36 AM

Oh DAD your never happy with the rules! Lol Congrats on the win last week btw even with the low car count there was some really fast cars in attendance..
Posted via Mobile Device

Quantrill 8/23/11 7:36 AM

I would like to see a national touring series. 4 races... One race in Indiana, one in Illinois, One in Missouri and one in Colorado or Ohio. Have it at current sanction tracks for each group. Common rules so everyone can compete. It would take someone with deep pockets to put up the purse. I know they are out there because plenty of them own race teams and get very little return on there money. Something like $5000 per event. $1500-$2000 to win then payback deep in the field. I used to be involved with SKUSA karting series and there national tour was top notch back in the day. I would love to see lightning sprints follow suit.

Just a pipe dream.

DAD 8/23/11 11:02 AM

Re: Amsa and mmsa

We will most likley always be a support class filling in time for the Big Boys. It's hard going 100 miles to a race let alone 400 or 500 when it pays less than a thousand to win and or a hundred to start. Most of us are over the hill as far as trying to move up in racing. We know our limits and race within them, we are kinda of like tq's and ARCA used to be. I have seen several drivers come race with us and move up and do good in more expensive race cars. We have several drivers racing every week with us that could do very well in higher forms of racing that choose to race with us because they don't want the lifestyle of a full time racer. We should be and are a development class. I went to a go kart race last week end and watched the next up and cooming racers. What I saw was a bunch of Dale Earnhardt wanna-be's pushing and banging there way to the front. We can teach these kid's that racing open wheel does have un-spoken rules of etiquette, about blocking, charging, and racing room. I think that's our job in racing right now and I think for the most part we are doing a pretty good job.
It would be good to get together once a year for a big race and right now I'm thinking Brownstown and fun-fest right now we are looking for sponsors and money to make a little better purse.

suzuki756 8/23/11 10:26 PM

funny fast lap of main was a 15.364 by the 31 bone stk990 lbs

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

jerry is always told us of other races going on when the amsa is not racing but it would be cool if both sides would try to put 1 race on together 35 or so cars at the burg would be awesome mmsa guys think amsa has big motors thats crap tech them i bet all are stk bore and stroke some on gas some on alky roberts won sat at the burg stk bore stk stroke the 31 same and over weight and out shape mmsa guys are just as fast, everyone that races these cars should support a show like this talk to dave run it next year with a big show then we show all those fans there how cool and fast these cars are i know we could get a sponsor for this show with at least 2k win,jerry, bill,dave work this out i will try help get a sponsor for it i know we can...

Phylo82 8/23/11 11:10 PM

31 ????.....never heard of him. :5:

DAD 8/23/11 11:48 PM

I've run with AMSA probably longer than suzuki 756 has. I never made it into the click however. I have had more than my fair share of calls aganist me because we beat the wrong people. I trully enjoy racing with MMSA. Two groups mean competition and that makes things better. Some people think bigger is better, bigger government, bigger engines, bigger race tracks, or bigger racing groups. That is bull, Bill has got us several class tracks to race on. He even found one hell of a monster track at Owensboro, that thing was very very fast. Minisprints seem to work best on the smaller tracks Brownstown and Bloomington are great. Lawrenceburg is just a little big for our little cars and is hard on equipment when you wreck. Amsa seems to be doing fine on their own in the future if they offer something better we would consider racing with them KC sounds fun we have driven by it so many times going to 35 now you guys are racing there.
756 I took my old junk car and an over the hill driver to Tulsa and finished second were you there.

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

My dad told me a long time ago "The only time you need a partner is when you are loosing money."

Phylo82 8/23/11 11:48 PM

Easy DAD....not everyone can pick up and head to Tulsa to race over a holiday weekend. Hard to believe but some people actually have families and jobs that keep them from racing as much as they would like to.

I tell my son all the time he is lucky he is the 3rd kid in line and not the first or he wouldn't be getting to spend countless weekends at the track. We wouldn't have had the time or the money back then.

Fyi - we have run with the AMSA for 4 years now and I am not aware of any click, and I have only witnessed one call...and yeah, it was bad but it didn't go against you.

Mulvaney 8/24/11 12:19 AM

any of you amsa guys looking for a bandent 1200cc suzuki engine ? looking to trade down to a 1000 cc. suzuki preferred!!

DAD 8/24/11 12:22 AM

The year before that we were 3 lbs under weight at the same track with JT's new scales my driver weighs in at 225 lbs car at745 lbs. Just didn't like the ref to over the hill racers. MMSA does have a lot of experience when it comes to drivers these "over the hill gang" drivers could could teach young drivers quite a bit if they have the chance to race with them. I know that there is little you can do to these motors to make them faster without making a hand granade and I do enjoy racing with you guys as often as we can. The welcome mat is not out there for us with AMSA and right now I don't feel the need to combine groups.

slide22 8/24/11 6:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M 67 (Post 249385)
I just want everyone to know that Bill May has never told us not to go run with another group when the MMSA did not have a race.

We have run with both groups at one time or another.

Just want to see all cars on a level playing field.

I would like to see all cars with motors stock out of the bike. No extra's, No changing cams, No changing valve springs, No milling heads, etc.

Last Saturday at Lawrenceburg we went to watch and we saw this in hot laps.

#28 car on alchohol ran 15.452 in hot laps according to track timing.

#13T Stock on Gas in hot laps was 15.545

I do not know if the #28 has had any motor work done or not, but was told that the 13T was pure stock on gas.

Why does gas or alcohol matter? By the way some of you talk you would think we're running nitro. Maybe you should worry about making your own car go faster instead of worrying about what kind of fuel everyone is running.

DAD 8/24/11 10:07 AM

Back in the day we didn't have the money for nitro, so my dad would put a few ounces of brake fluid in the fuel "STINK###". kinda of like a status symbol. If Im cheetin and you out run me you must be cheetin.

Tony Barhorst 8/24/11 1:23 PM

I have been working with Bill May in regard to bringing the 1000 cc and 600 cc uprights running together at the Rumble In Fort Wayne Indoor Midget Races Friday, December 30, and Saturday, December 31.

Both Bill and I have heard a lot of interest in making this happen this year. We are starting the purse out with a payout of $750 to win and $150 to start with a full event with qualifying each day. Bill is working on getting sponsorship to add to the purse. It will be much easier to get that sponsorship, if we get written confirmation by sending an entry in. Let us know if you intend to enter by e-mailing Tony Barhorst at tbracefest@aol.com. I can send an entry to anyone that is interested. Spread the word among 600 cc upright owners as they will be competitive at Fort Wayne.

We want to hear feedback from fans and teams.

Thanks,
Tony Barhorst
Follow The Rumble Racing Series On Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ru...s/177852124299 :23:

George Pollock 8/24/11 2:44 PM

I agree that fuel should not make any difference. Alcohol is redily available from every sprint car team at the mini sprint races and is safe to run and handle.
Gasoline is not easy to get at the track, mosy stock cars and they run special race gas which is expensive and hard on the injection system.
Totally Box Stock Engines will never happen because racers are always looking for improvements and cannot be easily checked at the trackat tech. Stock bore/ stroke and intake system is okay, but policing more detail than that will not be
easy to control
Mini sprint racing is suppose to a step up from go karts that police engine detail to the limit.
And racers still tweak and find improvements within the rules that give them an advantage.
That is a fact and always will be part of racing.
It is more difficult for a non technical person to compete and win but that always will be part of any motor racing.
The playing field cannot be level for everyone who decides to race.
I may want to play golf but should not expect to perform like Tiger Woods.
The learning curve is steep and smart racers find ways to always be faster than those that just want to go ocassionally to have fun.

Minimize regulations on stock bore stroke engines, limit to 1000cc max., alcohol or gas at same weight. and get accurate calibrated scale system, not the joke system currently in use by AMSA.

I go racing to have fun with my family, love to get dirty and tired. Do not like all the rule debating and speculation of who is doing what to their engines or spending great amounts of money.

Racers that are good and get things figured out will win and always be up front.

Rules changes and restrictions will not change who runs up front. good racers that know the technology win and thats the way it is.

Sorry but I had to get this off after all the comments.

George Pollock

Phylo82 8/24/11 4:25 PM

Geaorge, I have to agree with you regarding the scales.....one race we were 905, last week we were 950.

I don't care how good your scales are, if they are not level and sitting on a strong, solid surface you are not going to get an accurate reading. Wood sitting on gravel does not consititute a strong, solid surface. They need to be on black top or concrete so they can't shift when you are rolling a car onto them.

And I also agree with your take on racing, good drivers are going to run up front. It doesn't matter how good the car is, if the driver can't drive it's not going anywhere. That being said, a good driver with good equipment has a much better chance of running up front than your budget racer.

suzuki756 8/24/11 5:40 PM

Good job at tulsa I have a young family and a job that I must be at for the end of year no way can I go wish I could and glad there are cars from here going and doing well. I am racing to have fun if I bring my car home in one piece I am happy. I have tried to make it to a few mmsa races just have been bad timing. I am sure bill would welcome us as does jerry.scales are a problem but everyone goes across the same ones if I was 3lbs light he would toss any one its the rules and so will bill.
Posted via Mobile Device

DAD 8/24/11 7:05 PM

Suzuki 756 I didn't mean to come across the way I did and I apologize. If I could I would be racing midget's or sprint's but I can't so I won't. We've been in minisprints for years and do so because it's fun and we do it as a family and we can afford it. With out a doubt it is the biggest bang for the buck you are going to find if you want to race. My son couldn't race at Tulsa because of his job so I had to hire one of them hot shoes (I might add a very good one) just to make the race. WE did waste a lot of time and spend a lot of money to be at the first race for the golden driller and didn't quite do what we set out to do. This Year we will probably go to Fort Wayne and race and try something different. With the fun fest being two seperate races maybe you could make one or both of them I would like to meet you. I'm the big guy in the DAD'S MUFFLER SHIRT on.

Bill Jones

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

need to change that name to maxi27

Bradleyracing86 8/24/11 9:44 PM

Loud noises! " I heard the bears can smell the menstruation!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jim Gardner 8/24/11 10:00 PM

I like the 50/50 idea.

[/COLOR]And how about a 50:50 wing / non wing schedule..
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]