IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NSSN Ceases Publication (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=44625)

Corinne Economaki 3/22/11 5:02 PM

NSSN Ceases Publication

Yes, it's true. March 23 was our last issue. We tried to find an angel, but it didn't happen. Sad day for us here at NSSN. And sad for our subscribers. We're scrambling to keep the website up, but don't know yet.
The story is on our site.

speed bump 3/22/11 5:23 PM

Re: NSSN Ceases Publication

So sorry to see it end. I have been a subscriber since I got out of the Army in 1964. I will keep up with you on the Internet..
Best of luck to you and all the people there and especially to Chris.

cmakin 3/22/11 5:40 PM

When you think about it, when was the last time you saw the paper for sale at the track? I can say that I have NEVER seen it for sale at any of the Texas tracks that I have been to in the last 20 or so years. Very few of the racers that we have down here even subscribe. Most that I speak with don't (or didn't) know about it or even cared. Very sad, indeed.

Russell Ficklin 3/22/11 5:44 PM

Have read and subscribed to NSSN for almost 50 years now...sorry to see it go...when my racing paper came, it was like an old friend coming by each week...thanks for all the years and best of luck to all.

racephoto1 3/22/11 6:05 PM

Times are tough for print media, but little did I realize how tough until now. You knew you'd made the big time when you were in Speed Sport.

Russell Ficklin 3/22/11 6:11 PM

Hope SC&M and Flatout are not in trouble.

treecitytornado 3/22/11 7:30 PM

Why has nobody asked about the money paid for issues we will now never see? I hate that Speed Sport is gone! I have read it since I was a kid in the 80s! I appreciate the times when I seen my name in there too! Times are tough for everyone though!
Posted via Mobile Device

Scott Daloisio 3/22/11 7:42 PM

Have been reading NSSN since I was 7 or 8 years old (probably looked at the pictures back then). Sad, sad day indeed. Have been following daily on the web site the past few years. Hope it stays around. Thanks to NSSN for all it has done for all of racing over the years. No doubt the all-time #1 racing publication.

tamati 3/22/11 8:11 PM

sad day indeed.

racefanindy 3/22/11 8:11 PM

Been a subscriber since approx 1977. Sorry to see it end. Best wishes to the Economaki family & the staff at NSSN.

Dick Monahan 3/22/11 8:20 PM

I've been reading it since sometime in the 50s. For a while, I got both NSSN and Illustrated Speedway News, but then the latter died. In recent years, I've subscribed to NSSN and Area Auto Racing News. Until recently, I never thought it would be NSSN that would die. Who would have believed that Chris would outlive the paper?

sprntr 3/22/11 8:21 PM

Aw, CRAP! Now where will I get the lastest news???

illiNOISE 3/22/11 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmakin (Post 218385)
When you think about it, when was the last time you saw the paper for sale at the track? I can say that I have NEVER seen it for sale at any of the Texas tracks that I have been to in the last 20 or so years. Very few of the racers that we have down here even subscribe. Most that I speak with don't (or didn't) know about it or even cared. Very sad, indeed.

It's not just the Speed Sport that has disappeared from tracks. You used to see kids hawking racing papers at the track; when is the last time you saw that? I can remember when my dad would give me a few bucks to walk around to the front stretch at Godfrey Speedway to buy the latest issue of Hawkeye Racing News.

And it's not just racing papers that have become an endangered species at the hands of the internet. How many tracks still put out a yearly souvenier program?

This isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's just progress.

racegal 3/22/11 9:18 PM

:9::13:

leftturnonly 3/22/11 9:23 PM

I have been a subscriber since 62 and thoroughly enjoyed every issue. I feel much like I did the day I received the last issue of Speed Age which I had saved very issue until my new wife gave them to a school paper drive. And this subject has been discussed many times over the past 49 years.

RichH 3/22/11 9:30 PM

What a sad day. While a student at THE Ohio State University in the early 60s, I couldn't wait until Thursday when NSSN arrived. Then I'd close the door and read it cover to cover, with Editors Notebook first.
:22:

SprintManDave 3/22/11 10:18 PM

It is shocking and sad to me,after being a subscriber for 30+ years,I never expected to see this day. Good luck to Chris and Corrine,and thanks for all the best in racing news.

ronmil 3/22/11 10:41 PM

I've taken NSSN since mid 1968 and (much to Earlene's chagrin) I still have every copy. I will definitely miss it, even though I noticed that I was a less fervent reader in recent years. I still eagerly awaited the delivery of each issue. If it didn't arrive on Thursday, I would get antsy. Service had been pretty good lately, although my March 9th issue arrived with about two inches ripped off the top of the first four pages. I will miss those little aggravations!

Gregg 3/22/11 11:24 PM

As a grade schooler you couldn't get me to read a book, but I would read NSSN front page to rear. I hate to see it go.

KOP 3/22/11 11:32 PM

Curious to know what issue #1 would go for now!!!!!

cowboyhar69 3/23/11 12:28 AM

As a former Speed Sport vendor this is truly very sad. Selling the Speed Sport enabled me to make my first visit to the Knoxville Nationals by signing on as a vendor for them in 1991. That week started countless races I would go to selling Speed Sport. I had always gone to the races but selling Speed Sport was some of the best times I ever had. I am amazed at how many people befriended me at the races and still remain good friends to this day from car owners, drivers, mechanics, track promoters, officials, track workers, push truck drivers, and fans from all over the country....all because I was selling Speed Sport. Chris and Corinne treated me like gold and went out of their way to help me. Best of Luck to the both of them!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

mortboyz 3/23/11 12:43 AM

Wow, I gotta say I'm shocked to learn this....
I've also been a subscriber since 1977, and like Ronmil, I still have all of mine too :10: I was one of those people at Terre Haute years ago that admired Cowboys' incredible "super hat" as he was hawking the latest NSSN :2:

miledirt 3/23/11 7:02 AM

Race results... 19?? - 1990 wait to get your Speed Sport news

1990ish - until the last few years, go on online

Today - you know seconds after the finish who won in Florida via Twitter

Wild how some things change

addictedtodirt 3/23/11 7:45 AM

Awe hell. This is a sad day.
Posted via Mobile Device

RJ21 3/23/11 3:41 PM

Made the cover once after our team won at Eldora, What an honor, for a racer dont get much better than that, you will be missed.

AustinSprinter 3/23/11 5:00 PM

NSSN Ceases Publication 3/23/11!!....

Sad day for all... subscribers,'NSSN' and Crew!!.to say the least!!...will be tuff adjusting..after (12/31/69), my 1st Issue for almost 41 yrs!!..not looking forward to NOT checkin for next issue in the mail!!....best of luck "NSSN"!!..........

SUPERDUKE 3/23/11 5:34 PM

Re: NSSN Ceases Publication 3/23/11!!....

What about refunds? Are you going to send the money back?

REH24 3/23/11 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE (Post 218546)
What about refunds? Are you going to send the money back?

I wouldn't count on it Duke. I guess you can take it as you can still read it on line as your subscription payment. I can never recall any newspaper, magazine, etc. that went out of business ever refund subscription payment no matter how long the subscription is for. I never subscribe more than a year because of this reason.

REH

openwheelfan1 3/23/11 7:13 PM

This is like losing an old friend. I've been a subscriber for about 40 years and always looked forward to reading "the Bible". Thank you to Chris, Corinne, and all the staff of NSSN for their efforts in producing the paper and for their professionalism throughout. RIP old friend, you will truly be missed.

TQ29m 3/23/11 7:30 PM

Yes, it is sad, but, there is life after NSSN, I gave up about 10 years ago, thought it was all over, but, I'm still kickin, and headed for 74, kinda down hill, but still able to get the info I need, and, it gives me more time to think about other things I need to do. Missed it 10 yrs ago tho. Bob:)

popham 3/24/11 8:22 AM

I was wondering about refunds also, I think I am less than a year into a two year subscription.

treecitytornado 3/24/11 9:59 AM

I am about half way through a year subscription. I'd like to see a refund, but I'm not counting on it.:11:

cobrasnake66 3/24/11 10:37 AM

On many of the forums people are asking about a refund. My thought, is for you to keep what I had left as a thank you for 35 plus years of race reporting for me. Until the internet became available, there was no place in South Dakota to get national and international weekly race coverage except from NSSN. Thanks to the Economaki”s and the rest of the columists that gave their perspectives over the years. It was a good ride.

Roy Lauck

racerjim2 3/24/11 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REH24 (Post 218551)
I wouldn't count on it Duke. I guess you can take it as you can still read it on line as your subscription payment. I can never recall any newspaper, magazine, etc. that went out of business ever refund subscription payment no matter how long the subscription is for. I never subscribe more than a year because of this reason.

REH

Last year both RPM Racing News and Mid-America went out of business and both made sure their subscribers were taken care of with subs to fulfil their obligations to NSSN and Area Auto Racing News. But, I think subscribers will have to eat this one.:13:

ThrowbackRacingTeam 3/24/11 12:32 PM

This is very sad. This paper was good for so much more than results.
There is no one website that I know of that organizes as much racing
information as this did. It was always nice to bring the latest issue along
to read in the car on our long drives to Indiana or Wisconsin for Non-
Wing racing. Reading on computer screens hurts my eyes after a while so
sometimes it's nice to have an actual paper in hand that doesn't require
electricity to read! Just one more casulty that makes me feel old.

I Miss Manzy 3/24/11 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treecitytornado (Post 218619)
I am about half way through a year subscription. I'd like to see a refund, but I'm not counting on it.:11:

I'm in the same boat,about 6 mo. left on my 18th consecutive yearly subscription. While I realize a refund may not be a possibility,how about a credit towards NSSN merchandise? I'd surely like a Chris Economaki poster and I'd pay the shipping. Just a thought.

REH24 3/24/11 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam (Post 218640)
This is very sad. This paper was good for so much more than results.
There is no one website that I know of that organizes as much racing
information as this did. It was always nice to bring the latest issue along
to read in the car on our long drives to Indiana or Wisconsin for Non-
Wing racing. Reading on computer screens hurts my eyes after a while so
sometimes it's nice to have an actual paper in hand that doesn't require
electricity to read! Just one more casulty that makes me feel old.

It sad to see a great news paper bite the dust but as times goes on I am afraid we will see more newspapers and magazines only available on the computer. As you I would rather be holding the paper in my hand than reading it on the screen of a computer, beside it would be hard holding the computer on your lap while sitting on the john, guys what are we going to do if this happens.

REH

E.P. 3/26/11 10:15 AM

I was really saddened this week when I heard this news. I hope everyone on their payroll gets settled in elsewhere in timely fashion.

I suppose if someone did the research the demise of NSSN is a direct result of something USAC did or didnt do, the lack of 8" tires, the ungodly costs associated with running the Silly Bowl or any other thing wrong with the sport that my main man DonMoore10 :10: has regurgitated over the years.

RIP NSSN! :9:

staggerman 3/26/11 6:14 PM

In reading the last issue there are a couple of offers out there given to NSSN subscribers. You can get a free subscription till the end of the year by Speedway Illustrated if you contact them before April 30 and Area Auto Racing News is offering a 6 issue trial for $10 or 50 issues for $45. Just a couple of options to get something for your subscription.

popham 3/26/11 9:06 PM

Since NSSN dumped its subscribers in the manner that it did, I wonder how many advertisers had payed for a years worth of advertisement only to have the rug pulled out from under them also?