IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Watching USAC on Flo (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=125080)

Bill Angel 2/9/24 9:59 PM

Watching USAC on Flo

I’m not going negative but I miss Chet already.

The Old Coyote 2/9/24 10:51 PM

Re: Watching USAC on Flo

I very much enjoyed listening to Bryan Hulbert and think he is a very good announcer.

He is eloquent and has just the right level of excitement in his voice.

I enjoyed Chet too. But, I don't miss his giggle.

cl124 2/9/24 11:38 PM

Couldn’t agree more that new guy is way better. Felt like I could watch the race for the race it was without the over announcing etc. everyone has different tastes. For me personally I like the change.

RedRacer07 2/10/24 5:25 AM

I have a different opinion. I miss Chet.

dkdorkboy 2/10/24 7:01 AM

I miss the big guy TLP.

Stephen Cording 2/10/24 9:08 AM

I would love to have an option where I could mute commentary and turn the sound of the Sprint Cars all the way up (I have a British amp that goes up to 11)

But in all seriousness I don't think USAC have a bad Flo team at all. Always conduct themselves professionally, respectfully and intelligentenly.

I'm quite lucky as I often just tune out of commentary inside my own head as I do when watching most sports.

BUT rotation prevents things going stale and falling into the same old same old.

PIT CART 2/10/24 9:38 AM

I also would rather hear a 410 engine than an announcer that doesn’t stop talking. Some thing else that bothers me is when the announcer is talking about something going on but the tv doesn’t show it. My favorite thing about Gibson with Woo is that during hot laps he is usually quiet.

Speedmax3 2/10/24 11:37 AM

I thought Brian did a great job! I liked Chet but obviously he wanted to go a different direction and I wish him well.

sp6967 2/10/24 11:50 AM

i hope flo is still searching for their announcer.

Charles Nungester 2/10/24 1:19 PM

I thought he did fine.

Two things to point out. If they are announcing at the track. You don't hear em during racing most times except yellows.

The yelling during the four wide does nothing and even annoys at home, But at the track it adds excitement.

BrentTFunk 2/10/24 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 572158)
I thought he did fine.

Two things to point out. If they are announcing at the track. You don't hear em during racing most times except yellows.

The yelling during the four wide does nothing and even annoys at home, But at the track it adds excitement.

I agree. I think the announcer should always cater to the people at the event.

DJlives 2/10/24 3:36 PM

and when you cater to the people at the event it doesn't always synch up to what people are watching at home. Sometimes the camera guy is trying to drag the announcer to another battle - sometimes the announcer is dragging the camera along. On a small track, especially with midgets if you turn your attention away from the leader it is sometimes hard to find them again.

S2K 2/10/24 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl124 (Post 572143)
Couldn’t agree more that new guy is way better. Felt like I could watch the race for the race it was without the over announcing etc. everyone has different tastes. For me personally I like the change.

Agree with this. Glad that the “over-announcing” and repetitive shtick has moved on. The new announcer does a great job; hope he is full time.

Jerry Shaw 2/10/24 11:31 PM

I've always thought Hulbert was one of the top announcers out there, for quite a few years and for how many ever races he's going to do for the series, that part of their show will be at a high level. And they have a nice bunch of really good drivers doing the whole tour this season, so it ought to be a great year. Although, just like the last half of the previous season, the Justin Grant-Jeff Walker combo seems to have become somewhat of a juggernaut.

Jerry

Hubie48 2/11/24 9:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2K (Post 572162)
Agree with this. Glad that the “over-announcing” and repetitive shtick has moved on. The new announcer does a great job; hope he is full time.

I whole heartily agree. It had gotten to the point where I could not watch without the mute function.

dsc1600 2/11/24 12:51 PM

Hulbert is a long time staple of ASCS, Chili Bowl, Oskaloosa Front Row Challenge etc…

He’s a terrific get for USAC. If you look back on this board, people complained heavily about La Porta, people complained about Chet, and now people are complaining about this guy. I’m beginning to think some just like to complain….

BrentTFunk 2/11/24 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJlives (Post 572160)
and when you cater to the people at the event it doesn't always synch up to what people are watching at home. Sometimes the camera guy is trying to drag the announcer to another battle - sometimes the announcer is dragging the camera along. On a small track, especially with midgets if you turn your attention away from the leader it is sometimes hard to find them again.

Very true. I should have worded what I meant better. I was talking about hyping up the parade lap. I try to take younger people who have never been to a sprint car race to races. I think that the hype at the start sure helps those people, who the sport needs, get excited. On the original subject, I thought the announcer did an excellent job.

Blitzman 2/11/24 2:42 PM

Chet has his own style
Hulbert has his own style

I can listen to both all day long & not get annoyed.

Some people think that USAC has to have the awesomeness of a Ken Squier or Bob Jenkins. Let’s get real, it’s not going to happen. I’m just greatful that we can watch it on our home TV’s, when we can’t make it to the track. People are getting spoiled & entitled.

ossuks 2/11/24 3:54 PM

What is Blake Anderson doing now?

Chief Wahoo 2/11/24 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossuks (Post 572186)
What is Blake Anderson doing now?

Working for Rudeen racing and Skagit Speedway.

flagboy55 2/11/24 10:39 PM

Mr Hulbert is doing a fine job. Let’s face it, it’s all subjective. I had no issues with Tony, and thought he was progressing just fine. When we got Chet, I thought we got the best going, but I also understand how some folks might not see that the way I do. So far what I’ve heard this year, I have no complaints. Actually I do have one complaint and it’s not about announcing. What do we have to do to get a real cushion?

Charles Nungester 2/11/24 10:48 PM

IDK, Ocala recut the track making turns one and two more banked wider than half track with a ledge and turns 3-4 steeper as well. Went from a who could hook up coming off track to get a run track.

Think I liked it better the other way. Still three more

As far as broadcast. I understand the follow the transfer cam deal but if there's no race for the transfer. show the top fives best racing.
Not a rant, just a observation.

miledirt 2/12/24 8:43 AM

I think both announcers are very good at what they do. They just have different styles. This should be a great year at the track and on Flo for USAC

My only complaint with FLO or any streaming service is at the end of the race. The last few laps they may be showing an incredible battle for third and on last 1/2 of the last lap they cut away and just show the flagman throwing the checkers. Why?

Charles Nungester 2/12/24 9:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miledirt (Post 572195)
I think both announcers are very good at what they do. They just have different styles. This should be a great year at the track and on Flo for USAC

My only complaint with FLO or any streaming service is at the end of the race. The last few laps they may be showing an incredible battle for third and on last 1/2 of the last lap they cut away and just show the flagman throwing the checkers. Why?

Not only that, they zoom in on the flagman, The flagman isn't the race and the camera isn't the judge of race results. IMO it should always be pointed between four and the finish line to show the races conclusion. You know that car in first with a two second lead crossed first.

Other than that. I know you gotta go to a race to get the full race experience.

ThrowbackRacingTeam 2/13/24 1:13 AM

Having the same guy announce every USAC race of the season will make you sick of whoever it may be. I preferred when each track had their own announcers.
I agree that Flo does not capture the finish of the race correctly. It’s pretty easy to show the leader cross the line then pan back to the other cars coming off turn four and show going down the front stretch. We used to film races from the stands and did a much better job. Also, for the love of God….turn up the engine sound!!! The engines should slightly dominate the sound mix over the announcers voice. The engines are what we want. Might help us not get bored with the same announcer 97 times a year.