IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   31 at Bloomington (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=123828)

IndianaSprintFan 7/28/23 6:57 PM

31 at Bloomington

Such a shame. Hate to see something running against Indiana Sprint week, especially right next door. Thumps down from me on Paragon schedule,

Charles Nungester 7/28/23 7:20 PM

Re: 31 at Bloomington

Hope USAC uses the 4 heat format, it's hard enough to transfer from outside the second row..

bullringko 7/28/23 7:35 PM

31 at Bloomington has to be the lowest count for Indiana Sprint Week here since USAC took over the sanction in 1996. Will have to check the stats from Richie’s Sprint Week chronology to confirm.

Crankin 7/28/23 8:02 PM

So why is BOSS running at Paragon against Bloomington Sprint Week?… How did that happen?
There’s approximately 107 sprint cars within 30 miles of each other?
Plus another 21 Steel Blocks in Indy.

Sandy Lowe 7/28/23 8:18 PM

Paragon also ran sprints against the Gas City & Kokomo Sprint Week shows last weekend. I'm sure this is the first time an Indiana track ran sprints against four Sprint Week shows in one season.

Rpracing1 7/28/23 8:28 PM

There are no cars at Paragon tonight that Bton would benefit from. Quantity is not always better as shown at LPS last eve.

bullringko 7/28/23 8:32 PM

Dave Darland would have been a nice Bloomington addition in the twilight of his career.

The55 7/28/23 8:34 PM

31 quality cars is fine. 4 heats and a B. No need to throw rocks at Paragon after the money they have spent and I think the only track still with weekly racing. I am sure if USAC wanted to talk with them about a sprint week date they might change their approach.

bullringko 7/28/23 8:35 PM

Former Sheldon Kinser Memorial winner Nick Bilbee would have been a Bloomington bonus as well.

Charles Nungester 7/28/23 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullringko (Post 567242)
Dave Darland would have been a nice Bloomington additon in the twilight of his career.

In the Dutcher ride no less.
Not having the best year, But I'd never count that car out if they get it right

racefan20 7/28/23 8:38 PM

They probably shouldnt be asking USAC for any dates next year :)

IndianaSprintFan 7/28/23 8:52 PM

Wrong. USAC format with no provisionals for sprint week points, large car count’s definitely make it a lot more exciting. Axsom for example last night. Problems in the heat, went to b, didn’t transfer. If there were 31 cars last night he likely would have transferred pretty easy. Just my .02. I love all aspects of huge car counts for ISW. And I don’t need to hear how it gives the other guys a place to race that wouldn’t have a chance. Take a week off if you don’t wanna run with USAC. I hope USAC never entertains the thought of giving them another USAC event. It’s just a dick move.

sp6967 7/28/23 9:30 PM

One of the best races I saw was crown vics at Winchester, I think they might of had 10 cars.

IndianaSprintFan 7/28/23 9:33 PM

Cool

ronmil 7/28/23 9:55 PM

Is there the usual large crowd of spectators?

hoosier race fan 7/28/23 10:00 PM

https://www.bhf.org.uk/-/media/image...5517ecc225a99f

Chief Wahoo 7/28/23 10:28 PM

Good crowd Ron, not record breaking as the heat probably kept several at home. Decent crowd tho and track was 100% better then it’s been this year.

The55 7/28/23 11:08 PM

Sure, it isn’t going to happen. That is why they should do their thing. Folks will go to both places and all is good.

Dale 7/29/23 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 567236)
Hope USAC uses the 4 heat format, it's hard enough to transfer from outside the second row..

Heat race winners did not fare too well.

Rich Mersereau 7/29/23 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp6967 (Post 567249)
One of the best races I saw was crown vics at Winchester, I think they might of had 10 cars.

some race fans are so fixed on car count they forget to watch the race. i see nothing wrong with racing along side Bloomington. completely different program. can't wait to see tonight's feature and see if Brady can hold on to the point title :32:

mc/rider 7/29/23 11:26 AM

[QUOTE= can't wait to see tonight's feature and see if Brady can hold on to the point title :32:[/QUOTE] Like the Energizer Bunny, keeps on going

Dale 7/29/23 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau (Post 567262)
some race fans are so fixed on car count they forget to watch the race. i see nothing wrong with racing along side Bloomington. completely different program. can't wait to see tonight's feature and see if Brady can hold on to the point title :32:

Bloomington car count was fine. I don't see how more likely back half of the field cars adds to the program. They might cause more yellow flags.

Therefore the Paragon impact on Bloomington does not seem significant.

TQ29m 7/29/23 12:02 PM

I would respectfully assume that the Boss folks would race where it would be in their best interests, and the USAC folks would do the same, it does not matter if USAC gets a race at Paragon next year or not, but it would be in their best interest to do so, JMHO!
I'm not here to judge, only to observe

cowboyhar69 7/29/23 12:14 PM

I go all the way back to the old days where 22 cars was a good turnout and only 14 cars started the USAC feature race.

wildman92 7/29/23 12:25 PM

Can we talk about the track though? Was the best it’s been all season. Kudos to the crew especially with the hot and dry weather we’ve been having. Engine heat didn’t start til 7 and the whole program was done around 10:15pm. 🏁👏🏻

Charles Nungester 7/29/23 12:30 PM

Limaland apparently ran NW sprints as well last night. Should they not get a ISW race next year? I mean it is as much in Indiana as Eldora is and they got one once.

Rich Mersereau 7/29/23 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildman92 (Post 567269)
Can we talk about the track though? Was the best it’s been all season. Kudos to the crew especially with the hot and dry weather we’ve been having. Engine heat didn’t start til 7 and the whole program was done around 10:15pm. 🏁👏🏻

not possible with 50+ cars ie Thursday night

flagboy55 7/29/23 12:48 PM

I’ve long lamented some Indiana tracks inability to be good neighbors. That said I would’ve liked to see more cars, and I’m sure if Paragon didn’t race they would’ve had a few more fans buying tickets. But I want to compliment Bloomington, USAC, and all the teams that showed up and put on an entertaining and well run show

jonboat15 7/29/23 1:06 PM

I don't understand the problem with the two tracks running. Some teams may feel they have no chance of being competitive at the national show but stand a better chance of having a good showing at the local show and maybe even bringing in a few dollars. I don't think more cars at Bloomington would have necessarily made the show better, it was a good race as it was.

Rapid Rick 7/29/23 2:27 PM

Fans saw an excellent show and were on the way home by 10. Terre Haute was a great show also but 11:30 was too late for a weeknite race. It too could have been over at 10 except for the decision to run support class feature first.

Vookie 7/29/23 3:09 PM

https://twitter.com/KirkSpridgeon/st...41335597838336

erich45 7/29/23 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 (Post 567268)
I go all the way back to the old days where 22 cars was a good turnout and only 14 cars started the USAC feature race.

Yep, me too. 3 heats w/6 cars starting straight up. Top 3 advanced, other
3 start the next heat.

SoIllSprinter 7/29/23 3:27 PM

Part of the draw of Sprint Week is the large car counts and B main and C mains. 31 is a good number for a normal special show but Sprint Week is the event of the summer and as such the expectation is exceptionally large fields. Paragon has made great strides and would be a great addition to sprint week but seems as if they would rather tweak the other tracks and USAC than be part of something pretty darn special.

JarrettFarms73 7/29/23 3:51 PM

Permission to use an analogy?
Re:Two Tracks running same night

Imho, I’m not a fan of tracks running against ISW and do not subscribe to the notion those other cars/ drivers are helplessly out of their element. Here’s why…

Let’s say you had a friend that really likes IndyCar Racing. Unfortunately he fell into a coma a few years back. He just woke up
and all he wants know is how the state of IndyCar is going. You can’t wait to tell him how The Captain now owns IMS and “bumping” is back! So now here’s the question: Does he believe you when you tell him Hinch’ and Rahal are bump victims or does he think you’re messing with him?

Never say never. You want a marquee event? Then it MUST be treated like a marquee event.

All that said, it’s just my opinion. I’m also an idiot and that likes the color yellow and seafood. Just not together. hahaha.

chastaj 7/29/23 4:03 PM

Increase tow $ for local racers who would like to race with USAC, but in all reality probably not going to make the main. Still out travel costs, race fuel, oil change, will need a new RR, etc. Cars went to Paragon because they had a change to not lose as much $. Plain and simple.

Moreland76 7/29/23 6:57 PM

Not a big fan of scheduling that many race during sprint week. I have no problem with the track running , just would like them not running sprints all four nights. But I also believe that same applies to Smackdown and running sprints or having a free night against it. To me even let’s say 200 people didn’t go b-town because paragon ran sprints, that caused b-town a loss of at least 5 grand. The more revenue the more that can possibly be payed out.

Kendall2020 7/29/23 8:11 PM

I come from the day of 40 plus cars at every show. Pavement one night dirt the next. If you didn’t qualify in the top 28 you loaded up and went home. USAC shows have been great all week . Let Paragon and Boss do their thing. Paragon is running a business and doesn’t have a Sprint Week show

Kart#51 7/29/23 9:07 PM

Wait! I’m confused. Everyone is complaining about a track running 4 classes of which it contains winged sprints??

What’s the outrage?

I thought nobody on this board attended winged races or even cared cuz they are boring and follow the leader?? So based on that logic Bloomington lost no fans last night.

Kart#51 7/29/23 9:11 PM

Kart#51 7/29/23 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vookie (Post 567284)

Sounds like someone got their Wheaties all soggy. Maybe an Econ 101 class is probably more appropriate than a tweet or whatever it’s called these days.