Indiana Open Wheel
Page 1 of 2

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chili Bowl so far. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=122302)

Charles Nungester 1/11/23 1:58 PM

Chili Bowl so far.

Wow, First two nights have been best I've seen from Tulsa. High, Low, Middle. Bryson from pole to third and back to first in qualifier. Avedisian from sixth to third in feature. Bryson from tenth to fifth.

Suprise winner. Not sure I agree with how the penalty's are being dished out. But the racing's been great on what often is a one groove track either high or low. Not so far this year.

Grocery Guy 1/11/23 2:23 PM

Last night's drama was incredible. Thought Pursley was going to get that finish he's been striving for. Then he loops it, takes out some great cars. Buddy, wrong place wrong time. Guess he was just going so fast no other option. Davis throws the early race slider bomb, then holds everyone off. Great win for a local guy who said he live 20 minutes away.

Pitdad 1/11/23 2:53 PM

I know the Davis/Pickens sliders ended up being the big story, but I think Kofoid’s Ross Chastain impersonation deserve more scrutiny. There was a long gap between the cars stopping and him barreling around the outside. What’s he looking at?

And if his crew would have had another 2 minutes, they would have replaced the entire front end and gotten him back on the track.

Proof that the rest of us are playing a different game…

ginblueearth 1/11/23 3:12 PM

Re: Chili Bowl so far.

Originally Posted by Pitdad:
I know the Davis/Pickens sliders ended up being the big story, but I think Kofoid’s Ross Chastain impersonation deserve more scrutiny. There was a long gap between the cars stopping and him barreling around the outside. What’s he looking at?

And if his crew would have had another 2 minutes, they would have replaced the entire front end and gotten him back on the track.

Proof that the rest of us are playing a different game…

I personally agreed with the. Penalty of moving Damien Gardner to the rear. On his slide job. But when you're gonna have a rule like that. You need to enforce it across the board for everybody. And that includes the hometown boy. When Davis did it to Pickens. In the a feature And was not penalized by being put to the rear. It was total BS. You can't just pick and choose who you're gonna enforce the rules on. I know some people are saying Pickens Did it to Davis earlier on in the future? And Davis got on his brakes and avoided Crashing. And Davis was just giving a payback. Well, I don't buy that. Track officials are way too busy to have seen that. What Davis did was exactly the same as what Gardener did. It was a slight job gone bad. It should have been given the same penalty. He should have been put to the rear. And while I'm on the subject of poor officiating, Since when does a guy get run over? And his nerf bar knocked off. And he gets put to the rear. I think the track officials down there had better get their heads in the game better. It sucked big time last night. And I say this as a former driver. And a former track official. They need to do better. And stop playing favorites to the hometown drivers. Glen Murra

BrentTFunk 1/11/23 3:36 PM

I think this is what happens when you officiate it like weekly stock cars. Not sure you can catch every move by everybody. Let the racers work it out. Blatant or under the yellow contact is different. Impossible to tell intent with slide jobs common in all forms of racing.

Charles Nungester 1/11/23 3:49 PM

Well the racing is sure making me forget who's not racing Chili Bowl. What were they're names again?

Oh and that three cylinder cut in half LS with a cylinder removed midget Naida? Has some real pop. Midget racing needs something that don't cost $70k and needs rebuilt every fifth race to survive while still being peppy. Kody Swanson races tonight with the four cylinder version. How long before Toyota, Pink, Esslinger get it banned? Soap Box, Kinda sick of that sh*t .

skids59 1/11/23 3:55 PM

Originally Posted by ginblueearth:
I personally agreed with the. Penalty of moving Damien Gardner to the rear. On his slide job. But when you're gonna have a rule like that. You need to enforce it across the board for everybody. And that includes the hometown boy. When Davis did it to Pickens. In the a feature And was not penalized by being put to the rear. It was total BS. You can't just pick and choose who you're gonna enforce the rules on. I know some people are saying Pickens Did it to Davis earlier on in the future? And Davis got on his brakes and avoided Crashing. And Davis was just giving a payback. Well, I don't buy that. Track officials are way too busy to have seen that. What Davis did was exactly the same as what Gardener did. It was a slight job gone bad. It should have been given the same penalty. He should have been put to the rear. And while I'm on the subject of poor officiating, Since when does a guy get run over? And his nerf bar knocked off. And he gets put to the rear. I think the track officials down there had better get their heads in the game better. It sucked big time last night. And I say this as a former driver. And a former track official. They need to do better. And stop playing favorites to the hometown drivers. Glen Murra

Using your "enforce it across the board" rule, should Buddy have been sent to rear when he took out Gardner and Hughes in the first heat? I doubt very seriously if there is a "hometown boy" advantage.

badcoupe 1/11/23 4:11 PM

Pickens made same move on Davis a few laps before so he had one coming. Davis was smart enough to back off, Pickens was not. Track was terrible monday all day. Tues was great, I’m headed home today from Tulsa, it’s been fun few days but business calls.

Charles Nungester 1/11/23 4:12 PM

Originally Posted by badcoupe:
Pickens made same move on Davis a few laps before so he had one coming. Davis was smart enough to back off, Pickens was not. Track was terrible monday all day. Tues was great, I’m headed home today from Tulsa, it’s been fun few days but business calls.

Safe travels

Blackduce 1/11/23 5:03 PM

I would like to add that Flo has done a very professional job and exciting for me.
I went to VA Hospital and then McDonalds. With my cell and never missed anything. My Doctor was impressed.
Thanks again Flo.

Lynn

badcoupe 1/11/23 8:50 PM

Made it home. Binks’ 3 cyl ls was pitted two trailers down and it’s really cool. The other car he has that Swanson is running is a 4 cyl ls, he let me look it over last night, super impressive. That guy has won 6 24 hours of lemans and some trans am titles as an engineer. He basically milled the cylinder bank off. The full bellhousing is still at rear. There’s a plate bolted over where the right bank would’ve been. Blake Hahn was supposed to run Monday, pushed off and wouldn’t run right, now he’s somehow running tonight instead. I wondered why they weren’t trying to get car running Monday. Something isn’t right about that

Charles Nungester 1/11/23 9:18 PM

Made it home. Binks’ 3 cyl ls was pitted two trailers down and it’s really cool. The other car he has that Swanson is running is a 4 cyl ls, he let me look it over last night, super impressive. That guy has won 6 24 hours of lemans and some trans am titles as an engineer. He basically milled the cylinder bank off. The full bellhousing is still at rear. There’s a plate bolted over where the right bank would’ve been. Blake Hahn was supposed to run Monday, pushed off and wouldn’t run right, now he’s somehow running tonight instead. I wondered why they weren’t trying to get car running Monday. Something isn’t right about that

Hometown favoritism

Charles Nungester 1/11/23 9:44 PM

Flo crash on us or what? Can't get it on net, tv or phone

Charles Nungester 1/11/23 9:45 PM

back now

ginblueearth 1/11/23 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by skids59:
Using your "enforce it across the board" rule, should Buddy have been sent to rear when he took out Gardner and Hughes in the first heat? I doubt very seriously if there is a "hometown boy" advantage.

Well, maybe there wasn't a hometown boy advantage. Maybe everybody. That's involved with Midget Racing. When it comes to officiating it. Especially the flag man. Needs to start using the Black Flag more. It's supposed to be racing, not a demolition derby. And it seems like Midget Racing has turned into just that, a demolition derby lately. Definitely not for the better. The way things are going. And all the tracks running midgets and all the organizations sanctioning Midgets. Need to instruct their flag Man.. On the flag stands. To start Using the black flag When they see stuff like we seen last night. No matter who the driver is. Put him to the rear. Put him in the pits. That'll put an end to this rough driving. And these drivers that think they're in fender cars and not midgets? But I guess that's just my opinion. I'm 66 years old. Have been going to open wheel races since I was five. And like I said before, I'm a former driver. And former track official. And by the way, I was on the flag stand. And I did know how to use the black flag.:42:::42:::42::

ronmil 1/12/23 1:00 AM

I must be the only one on IOW without Flo!😊

racefan20 1/12/23 1:03 AM

That crash wasnt good.

smith19 1/12/23 1:10 AM

ron i tried to tell you that! :):)

Charles Nungester 1/12/23 1:25 AM

Here's what happened. KTJ/Torgerson racing hard. Later ran out of room hit wall, bounced, flipped and was Ejected.

Here's the current situation from the team. Prayers for a full recovery.

Torgerson Racing
3m ·
Ashton is alert and talking. Moving hands and feet He is passing all the administered tests thus far and is about to go in for a cat scan. Thank you for the outpouring of support.

BLASTER1 1/12/23 8:52 AM

Seatbelts don't work unless used correctly and tight.....He got Lucky!

Chief Wahoo 1/12/23 9:11 AM

Originally Posted by ronmil:
I must be the only one on IOW without Flo!😊

Come on Ron, open that wallet and dust the cobwebs out. There's gotta be $150 in there.

Chief Wahoo 1/12/23 9:14 AM

short update from the team last night. Sounds promising so far
https://twitter.com/torgersonracing/...CxhcOt_-MsAAAA

Charles Nungester 1/12/23 10:10 AM

What that said if you're someone without Twitter

Torgerson Racing
@torgersonracing
Update on Ashton @_Torgerson02

Passed back ,neck tests waiting on CT scan... 1st thing he asked me was what place was he in!!.. you have no idea how much the support means to Ashton and the family...

badcoupe 1/12/23 10:57 AM

I’m still shocked he came out of car. Makes you wonder if seat wasn’t properly attached or if possibly the belts weren’t pulled down tight enough etc. I’m going to ask my brother if he went and looked at it after or if any word was going around the pits. Certainly a awful scenario that you never upon anyone, but the mechanical side of me wants to know how that happened

TQ29m 1/12/23 10:58 AM

Nope, not alone on that, I'm still watching the after reruns, when I think of it, love the racing, just so busy, at 85, really need to relax a little!

openwheelfan1 1/12/23 11:53 AM

I’m still shocked he came out of car. Makes you wonder if seat wasn’t properly attached or if possibly the belts weren’t pulled down tight enough etc. I’m going to ask my brother if he went and looked at it after or if any word was going around the pits. Certainly a awful scenario that you never upon anyone, but the mechanical side of me wants to know how that happened

The thought from several former races I’m friends with on FB is that Torgensen’s arm restraints caught his latch on his belts and released them. Continued positive thoughts and prayers for the young racer. Thankful that as bad as it was, it appears he will survive.

Pitdad 1/12/23 12:28 PM

I don't think asking questions about what happened is a bad thing at all. The timing of when you ask those questions can be difficult, but as car owners, crew chiefs, and drivers, we NEED to know what happened so we can determine if it was an equipment failure, design failure, or simply correctable error in the use of existing equipment. All indications at this point are that the young man dodged a major bullet and avoided a tragedy. For that we all should be and are grateful. No doubt EVERYONE is hoping and praying for his recovery.

That said, rampant speculation is always a bad thing because people waste time trying to solve problems that don't really exist, or they mandate half measures that don't truly address or solve the problem. That's when confidence in "authority" is lost. Everyone thinks "they know best" and starts running around selling "snake oil" solutions. I don't think your questions are wrong at all, but until we learn the facts of the case, we're just creating more drama that causes us to lose focus. At the appropriate time, we need to know what happened and somebody (sanctioning body, race organizers, insurance carrier, etc.) should undertake a disciplined problem solving exercise that determines the root cause of the problem and implements appropriate corrective action.

Charles Nungester 1/12/23 12:36 PM

Fourth Miracle I've witnessed this month. Two sports related. Other two family. You see them everyday and pay no attention.
Prayers for a full recovery.

Charles Nungester 1/12/23 12:54 PM

Update on @_Torgerson02
-

Ashton is sore and has been resting. The CT came back with some blood in the brain, so they continue to monitor. Dr's are amazed that he is doing so well. The support from everyone has been amazing.

He even had a few special visitors last night.

There's a picture in the post on twitter and Apparently Rico and others went to see him.

Rico was a class act in victory lane as well.

reeserx 1/12/23 1:50 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Update on @_Torgerson02
-

Ashton is sore and has been resting. The CT came back with some blood in the brain, so they continue to monitor. Dr's are amazed that he is doing so well. The support from everyone has been amazing.

He even had a few special visitors last night.

There's a picture in the post on twitter and Apparently Rico and others went to see him.

Rico was a class act in victory lane as well.

It looks like Rico gave him the trophy from last nights win. Nothing short of a miracle that the kid isn’t dead or paralyzed. Amazing he’s doing good. I’ve never seen anything like that. Watching live on flo, when it happened, it took my breath away. I’m sure they’ll investigate what happened but hopefully with the results, we make sure it never happens again.

ginblueearth 1/12/23 1:52 PM

Originally Posted by openwheelfan1:
The thought from several former races I’m friends with on FB is that Torgensen’s arm restraints caught his latch on his belts and released them. Continued positive thoughts and prayers for the young racer. Thankful that as bad as it was, it appears he will survive.

I had a long shoelace.I put through the Hole on the end Of the latch. And then Twisted it together and wrapped it with duct tape. And I would tuck that underneath my leg. Help prevent anything from getting underneath the latch and. Unlocking it. To prevent just what we've seen happen last night. I'm about 99% sure. That's exactly what happened. Something got underneath the latch on his harnesses and unlocked it. They weren't installed wrong. The seat didn't come loose. The belts didn't fail. They just got on latch somehow. Sadly, this is the third time I've seen a driver come out of the car. The other two times were fatal. The first time was at Jackson, MN, in a 6 cylinder modified. The other time was Barry Kettering. At Fairmont, Minnesota. That time. Is harnesses failed from old age? Sounds like the outcome from this one is gonna be much better. He's in my prayers. But please every driver check your equipment and check it good. And don't cut corners.

jdull99 1/12/23 2:18 PM

https://www.speedsport.com/sprints-m...li-bowl-wreck/

Charles Nungester 1/12/23 2:35 PM

Apparently he is just being kept for observation due to some blood on the brain. NO BROKEN BONES found so far. Resting and sore. But so far a miracle. "This from Chili Bowl Nationals FB post"
Also will do another CT scan to check on the noggin on friday morning.

I've seen several drivers make the claim of arm restraint catching belt latch and that they've had it happen. Heck I think Hewitt even has a interview of him saying he had it happen at eldora with a couple to go (Non wreck related)

But we do not know this was the case here. I'm sure proper investigation will be done. Lets just be glad this wasn't a fatal lesson.

Dale 1/12/23 3:28 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Apparently he is just being kept for observation due to some blood on the brain. NO BROKEN BONES found so far. Resting and sore. But so far a miracle. "This from Chili Bowl Nationals FB post"
Also will do another CT scan to check on the noggin on friday morning.

I've seen several drivers make the claim of arm restraint catching belt latch and that they've had it happen. Heck I think Hewitt even has a interview of him saying he had it happen at eldora with a couple to go (Non wreck related)

But we do not know this was the case here. I'm sure proper investigation will be done. Lets just be glad this wasn't a fatal lesson.

Surely the belt manufacturer will be anxious to get out in front of this.

Whit11B 1/12/23 3:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've heard of drivers even catching the sure lock style shifter handle on their arm restraint. I haven't thought about it before but some models of belts have a velcro flap attached to the belt buckle and others don't. Like the Simpson platinum ratcheting style looks like it doesn't. Probably something to consider when buying belts.

Dale 1/12/23 4:02 PM

Charles Nungester 1/12/23 4:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvPf0...lsa%7CChannel2

chop 1/12/23 5:39 PM

It has been a few years. At Butler motor speedway. In hot laps, saw Doug Wolfgang hook wheels with a backmarker. They both flipped down the front straight away. As they flipped. The kid In the backmarker car came right out of the car. Landed on the track. After a few seconds. Got up and walked to the pits. Story was he hook his arm restraints the wrong way in the seat belts.

ossuks 1/12/23 6:03 PM

Shout out the total professionalism of the camera man last night.....I am assuming he intensionally came off the 1 car when he realized the severity of the situation...my guess it was Dean Mills...if so shout out to you from Bill Carey!!

Charles Nungester 1/12/23 6:49 PM

Originally Posted by ossuks:
Shout out the total professionalism of the camera man last night.....I am assuming he intensionally came off the 1 car when he realized the severity of the situation...my guess it was Dean Mills...if so shout out to you from Bill Carey!!

I agree and think the whole broadcast team handled it with respect and concern. Even forgoing chatter and bragging after the race was over. Victory lane, couple other interviews with second and third and done.