Indiana Open Wheel
Page 1 of 2

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hoosier Hundred - New Home? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=121746)

nathans1012 10/19/22 7:20 PM

Hoosier Hundred - New Home?

Hoosier Hundred

Off of USAC's Facebook page.

USAC Racing
7h
·
The historic Hoosier Hundred is coming to Lucas Oil Indianapolis Raceway Park in 2023 with a $25,000 winner’s check in tow. ��
Join us on Sunday, April 23 for this USAC Silver Crown special event, featuring 100 MILES of action in a unique format at IRP!
Stay tuned on more details for the 66th edition of this venerable race.
NOS Energy Drink | #GSPnorthamerica | Cook Out | FloRacing

-

If I'm reading this correctly. IRP is about 5/8s or so around. So, 160 laps would equal 100miles.

Charles Nungester 10/19/22 7:30 PM

Re: Hoosier Hundred - New Home?

Would require a pit stop or break

I vote for pit stop during a yellow and NO BREAK. Teams could use quads or flag push vehicles as long as cars do not enter track area.

jdull99 10/19/22 7:31 PM

another pavement track putting dirt down for a special event??? (I know what you posted said nthn about that, but it would be cool...)

2140rc 10/19/22 8:01 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Would require a pit stop or break

I vote for pit stop during a yellow and NO BREAK. Teams could use quads or flag push vehicles as long as cars do not enter track area.

Silver Crown cars have clutches so push vehicles aren't needed. If they have any kind of competition break (a la NASCAR) it defeats the purpose of a hundred mile race which is what the entire series was originally all about. Especially when you are trying to revive a once famous race.

Joe Schaub 10/19/22 8:03 PM

The only time the pavement side of the series puts on a good show is when they race at Winchester or Salem.

If we are going to convert a paved track to a dirt track, can we PLEASE go to Milwaukee and take that mile track back to dirt?

hoosier race fan 10/19/22 10:07 PM

I wish the Horseshoe Indianapolis would be willing to use their 1 mile dirt track for a silver crown race. It is the home of the Indiana Derby. Might as well be the home of the Hoosier Hundred.

I wonder if this effort to bring the Hoosier Hundred to IRP has anything to do with the future of THAT.

ThrowbackRacingTeam 10/19/22 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by hoosier race fan:
I wish the Horseshoe Indianapolis would be willing to use their 1 mile dirt track for a silver crown race. It is the home of the Indiana Derby. Might as well be the home of the Hoosier Hundred.

I wonder if this effort to bring the Hoosier Hundred to IRP has anything to do with the future of THAT.

I don’t think so. They are content with the Sumar 100 at THAT.

cmakin 10/20/22 9:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2140rc:
Silver Crown cars have clutches so push vehicles aren't needed. If they have any kind of competition break (a la NASCAR) it defeats the purpose of a hundred mile race which is what the entire series was originally all about. Especially when you are trying to revive a once famous race.

I remember some years ago, the Hoosier 100 was split into twin 50s. Yeah, I did feel that it defeated the purpose, but man, it was a pretty good race. . . . .As far as the 100 at IRP? Well, it goes without saying that it isn't the same. Not to say champ cars aren't a good show at IRP, it just isn't the same race.

JMA1181 10/20/22 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam:
I don’t think so. They are content with the Sumar 100 at THAT.

Who is “they”?

Charles Nungester 10/20/22 11:33 AM

Sure doesn't seem like anything's set in stone for THAT 2023

BrentTFunk 10/20/22 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by hoosier race fan:

Isn't the Horseshoe the reason that we lost the fairgrounds in the first place? So, they could have a taxpayer funded place to train horses? I don't think this has anything to do with THAT. I also don't think a break would be needed as I just watched a hundred mile race last weekend. Yes, they added fuel during a red, but conserving is part of a long distance race. Both tires and fuel.
Sounds like a nice purse. I will be there. Thanks for thinking outside of the box after the state of Indiana stabbed this event in the back.

Jonr 10/20/22 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by nathans1012:
Hoosier Hundred

Off of USAC's Facebook page.

USAC Racing
7h
·
........., featuring 100 MILES of action in a unique format at IRP!..........
-

If I'm reading this correctly. IRP is about 5/8s or so around. So, 160 laps would equal 100miles.

When I read the unique format comment, I started to think about heat races and qualifier races. Race winner would run 100 miles, it just might be over three different races.

BrentTFunk 10/20/22 1:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jonr:
When I read the unique format comment, I started to think about heat races and qualifier races. Race winner would run 100 miles, it just might be over three different races.

You are probably right

Hubie48 10/21/22 10:11 AM

Hut "100", Hoosier "100" does not matter. Nobody in ******** cares.

The Hut 100 was the absolute pinnacle for Midget racing in many peoples eyes. What a great race, something to look forward to. Many, many racers rank even participation in this event to be one of the highlights of their careers.

The early Hoosier 100's were the same. Big Money and very small starting field. It was gas it up and go time. The dirt miles fell off the points paying schedule and the sport was in critical condition. It hung on for a time as it still paid really well. Along about 1980 it was dead but nobody buried the body. They have tried countless times to revive it. The guy from Houston even gave it a shot. Not to say some of these races were not enjoyable but the luster had been knocked off.

They can hold a 160 lapper at IRP and I will pay money to see it. It will be the Hoosier "100" in name only. Maybe hold a Taylor Swift concert to kick start the day? Works for the Grand Prix down in Texas.

Charles Nungester 10/21/22 12:19 PM

Me: Wondering if anyone can go enjoy a race anymore. JUST for what it is.

BrentTFunk 10/21/22 2:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hubie48:

The Hut 100 was the absolute pinnacle for Midget racing in many peoples eyes. What a great race, something to look forward to. Many, many racers rank even participation in this event to be one of the highlights of their careers.

Were you at the last Hut Hundred won by Cole Whitt? The car count was very light. Maybe 400 people in attendance. Would you lose your money to keep it alive? No one else wanted to either. As for the Hoosier 100, the state of Indiana decided to get rid of it. How could anyone stop that?
By the way, I attended my first Hoosier 100 in 1978, and my first Hut hundred in 1982. Yes, I wish everything was like it was in the 1970's, but it isn't. You can't turn the clock back.

flagboy55 10/22/22 12:22 PM

I think it’s ok to let a once great and prestigious event that was among the most important races in the golden age of open wheel racing Rest In Peace rather than attach the title to a bastardized facsimile. I’m old enough to remember when we called them Championship Dirt Cars

TQ29m 10/22/22 1:08 PM

I'm way older than that, my early days they all had really big wire wheels, but I also know they aren't coming back soon, I still love em like that, and missed owning one by about 30 minutes , trailer and all, I can still see it sitting there, but I had one more rider to deliver, and when I returned, it was going down the street, behind someone else's car. Dang!

BrentTFunk 10/22/22 1:42 PM

If name dies, all the history will die with it. Track Enterprises has spent a fortune to keep this event alive. I think anything that keeps us from losing an event is ok.

Pitdad 10/22/22 2:37 PM

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
If name dies, all the history will die with it. Track Enterprises has spent a fortune to keep this event alive. I think anything that keeps us from losing an event is ok.

You make an interesting point about preserving the name in whatever form necessary to keep the event alive, presumably in hopes that a “white knight” will return it to some semblance of its former glory. The precedent for this move would be Turkey Night holding pavement races at Saugus and Irwindale. That kept the event alive until it could transition back to dirt.

Stevensville Mike 10/22/22 5:24 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schaub:
The only time the pavement side of the series puts on a good show is when they race at Winchester or Salem.

I don't know, Joe. SC used to run there in the 80s on the old Saturday Night Thunder. The track suited them well. They weren't as exciting as the sprints and midgets, but they were okay. I say give it a chance. After jumping in bed with NASCAR and pretty much DESTROYING the series with their aero bathtubs and big track ventures, the Silver Crowns are on the uptick these days. IRP is the perfect place for them - to go back to.

chop 10/22/22 6:49 PM

It was not a usac race. But the race was run with silver crown cars at Berlin a few years ago. It was a good race. It was run on a weeknight the week of the nascar race at MIS. Can't remember the people that put it on. Seem like it was a former silver crown driver that promoted the race.

nathans1012 10/22/22 8:49 PM

Anyone remember the PRA Big Car Series? I saw a race at Illiana on June 13th, 2006 with that series. South Shore 125 was the race and Eric Gordon won. That was around the time USAC jumped in bed with NASCAR on the Aero. I could of swore it was Jason McCord or someone that run the deal.

Results from that race

Finish - Car# & Driver
-
01 - 4 Eric Gordon
02 - 37 Tracy Hines
03 - 77 Chet Fillip
04 - 25 Jay Drake
05 - 92 Dave Darland
06 - 32 A.J. Fike
07 - 20 Ron Gregory
08 - 5 Jimmy Kite
09 - 21 Brian Tyler
10 - 51 Russ Gamester
11 - 17 Kenny Jacobs
12 - 15 Teddy Beach
13 - 153 Tom Capie
14 - 198 Michael Roselli
15 - 90 John Heydenreich
16 - 99 Paul White
17 - 110 Brad Armstrong
18 - 1 Dave Steele

captrat 10/22/22 9:38 PM

Fine replies, but ultimately what harmed and probably mortally wounded dirt cars on miles was the Speedway and Indy car owners saying it was antiquated and did not deserve to be a part of the National Championship Series. Thank you Dan Gurney for your white paper, Pat Patrick for your acquiesce, Roger Penske for no understanding of American oval track racing, and USAC for being nothing more than an acolyte for the Speedway.

flagboy55 10/22/22 10:46 PM

Not often I disagree with my buddy Brent but I will on this point. Dilution of the race to pavement does nothing to retain the greatness that is/was the Hoosier Hundred. Someone remind me when we last ran the Hut Hundred. It still lives as a pinnacle midget race even if it’s never run again. If they took it to Anderson and ran a 100 lap race and called it the same, it would be equally illegitimate. I was always irritated when they ran Turkey Night on pavement. And besides the surface, especially when it comes to big cars, it’s not nearly the same level of competition. You could almost say pavement racing these days should be a club sport as less than a handful have a shot to win. That’s not the same on dirt. Call it what you want, but the Hoosier Hundred is a dirt race. Maybe it will fade away with us old guy’s, but it will will die with it’s deserved reverence

opnwhlmnd 10/22/22 10:55 PM

Ultimately what wounded dirt cars on the miles was the plane crash on April 23rd 1978. That opened the door for CART and USAC has never recovered.

Yes now days USAC has a niche product that they can call a National Series but get outside of Indiana or Southern Kalifornia and it is tough to draw a crowd and SoCal doesn't even draw that well anymore.

ronmil 10/22/22 11:11 PM

Were you at the last Hut Hundred won by Cole Whitt? The car count was very light. Maybe 400 people in attendance. Would you lose your money to keep it alive? No one else wanted to either. As for the Hoosier 100, the state of Indiana decided to get rid of it. How could anyone stop that?
By the way, I attended my first Hoosier 100 in 1978, and my first Hut hundred in 1982. Yes, I wish everything was like it was in the 1970's, but it isn't. You can't turn the clock back.

My first Hut Hundred and Hoosier Hundred were both in 1967. It seems I remember 110 midgets there. Just had roll bars; Mel Kenyon won. Ralphie the Racer Liguori flipped the Math Schneider #67. Broken nose was only injury. I believe every car was an Offy.

Hubie48 10/22/22 11:18 PM

I attended my first Hoosier 100 in 1978

What took you so long? :-)

jdull99 10/22/22 11:58 PM

Anyone remember the PRA Big Car Series? I saw a race at Illiana on June 13th, 2006 with that series. South Shore 125 was the race and Eric Gordon won. That was around the time USAC jumped in bed with NASCAR on the Aero. I could of swore it was Jason McCord or someone that run the deal.

Results from that race

Finish - Car# & Driver
-
01 - 4 Eric Gordon
02 - 37 Tracy Hines
03 - 77 Chet Fillip
04 - 25 Jay Drake
05 - 92 Dave Darland
06 - 32 A.J. Fike
07 - 20 Ron Gregory
08 - 5 Jimmy Kite
09 - 21 Brian Tyler
10 - 51 Russ Gamester
11 - 17 Kenny Jacobs
12 - 15 Teddy Beach
13 - 153 Tom Capie
14 - 198 Michael Roselli
15 - 90 John Heydenreich
16 - 99 Paul White
17 - 110 Brad Armstrong
18 - 1 Dave Steele

3 of us were also in attendance.

treecitytornado 10/23/22 4:55 AM

The Pepsi 150 was 150 Laps the first few years at IRP. Then it went to Twin 75s, then finally just a 100 Lapper.

If they couldn't do 150 way back then, definitely don't see them doing 160, without a Stop!!

BrentTFunk 10/23/22 9:28 AM

As much as I would have loved to have seen the roadsters at Indy, there is no denying that the race grew in the 70's. That is when grandstands grew around the track. Look at pictures and video from the 60's. The crowd size isn't even comparable.
As for the Hut Hundred, I have seen that race at Terre Haute, Putnamville, Haubstadt, and the Indy mile.

racefan20 10/23/22 9:49 AM

As much as I would have loved to have seen the roadsters at Indy, there is no denying that the race grew in the 70's. That is when grandstands grew around the track. Look at pictures and video from the 60's. The crowd size isn't even comparable.
As for the Hut Hundred, I have seen that race at Terre Haute, Putnamville, Haubstadt, and the Indy mile.

If I am remembering right the one at Putnamville had more yellows than any race Ive ever seen.

Charles Nungester 10/23/22 11:08 AM

Is HUT a short for a certain name or meaning? I mean Hoosier (Hoosier State)

Why not Circle City and make it D2s They show up in mass. Full up midget race anymore, ya never know.

BrentTFunk 10/23/22 11:45 AM

Something else to add. We had a couple of years warning that they were going to kill the Indy mile. Did anybody who is worried now bother to write the Governor, or their local State Rep? I wrote to 4 different people. Did anyone out of state that is concerned now, write and tell how much money they spend when attending races, and how important the history of this track is? If everyone who is up in arms now would have taken 15 minutes then, we may not be having this conversation.

Joe Schaub 10/23/22 11:50 AM

Deleted

Joe Schaub 10/23/22 11:52 AM

Something else to add. We had a couple of years warning that they were going to kill the Indy mile. Did anybody who is worried now bother to write the Governor, or their local State Rep? I wrote to 4 different people. Did anyone out of state that is concerned now, write and tell how much money they spend when attending races, and how important the history of this track is? If everyone who is up in arms now would have taken 15 minutes then, we may not be having this conversation.

You can't reason with horse people be they horse owners or horse's azzes. Writing anyone associated with the fair grounds confirms my statement

flagboy55 10/23/22 12:06 PM

Wasn’t the Hut run at the Burg once also? All those venues dirt. Part of my point is that the competition level on the pavement is one reason why they shouldn’t associate the two. Not that it’s the same but what’s the big Late Model race they run at Winchester in the fall every year, the 400 something or other? You wouldn’t move it to ELDORA and call it the same name? Brent you make a good point, myself included should have done something to try to stop “City Hall” I did nothing, and not to make excuses but if Indianapolis can’t see the value in a race track of such historical importance, I felt we were doomed. The fact that it’s even considered in the Motorsport Capital of the World speaks to me loudly about what our relevance is to most people. Brent, did any of them write you back?

Honest-Sam 10/24/22 12:13 AM

Seems like, as much as we resist, times change. Venues change. Race tracks come and go, unfortunately. We are a lot that is steeped in tradition. There were two champ car races at the Indy mile and both have moved. Personally, I am pleased that the ‘tradition’ of the races still exists. Furthermore, I am also happy to see that pavement racing seems to be coming back.

Honest-Sam 10/24/22 12:14 AM

Results from that race

Finish - Car# & Driver
-
01 - 4 Eric Gordon
02 - 37 Tracy Hines
03 - 77 Chet Fillip
04 - 25 Jay Drake
05 - 92 Dave Darland
06 - 32 A.J. Fike
07 - 20 Ron Gregory
08 - 5 Jimmy Kite
09 - 21 Brian Tyler
10 - 51 Russ Gamester
11 - 17 Kenny Jacobs
12 - 15 Teddy Beach
13 - 153 Tom Capie
14 - 198 Michael Roselli
15 - 90 John Heydenreich
16 - 99 Paul White
17 - 110 Brad Armstrong
18 - 1 Dave Steele

Right you are. Jason Smith and Jason McCord.

Honest-Sam 10/24/22 12:30 AM

LOR, aka IRP, is officially .686 miles. 100 miles is 145 or 146 laps. Probably would require a fuel break.