IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   FloSports and NASCAR joining forces. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=119042)

Chief Wahoo 12/2/21 3:18 PM

FloSports and NASCAR joining forces.

https://www.floracing.com/articles/7...scargrassroots

nathans1012 12/2/21 4:08 PM

Re: FloSports and NASCAR joining forces.

Cool to see them showing some of NASCAR's lower divisions we don't always get to see on TV. I'm especially happy to see the NASCAR Modifieds. I love watching the ground pounders. :32:

Stevensville Mike 12/2/21 4:23 PM

I like the idea of the mods, too, and up front this looks good.

But somewhere down in my gut I can feel something like NASCAR buying Flo out and it becoming something different than what it is now. Maybe I have a Debbie Downer attitude about this, but my gut usually gives me the true vibes.

Charles Nungester 12/2/21 6:18 PM

Over 1,700 races scheduled for Flo Racing next year. Divide that up by $150
All USAC
All ASOCS
All Short Track Super Series
And many ,many more.

opnwhlmnd 12/2/21 7:44 PM

It is not just racing for Flo. They have many other sports that they stream and the fans of those pay the same $150 a year.

Stevensville Mike 12/2/21 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 546440)
Over 1,700 races scheduled for Flo Racing next year. Divide that up by $150
All USAC
All ASOCS
All Short Track Super Series
And many ,many more.

Sure. Lots of races. Right now. I'll put this in the memory banks. We'll bring it back in a couple of years from now.

When has NASCAR ever intervened in the past decade and things have gone positive for us IOW members?

If you are stifled, reference Speedvision.....SpeedTV...... FS1....

Trusting my gut I am.....

Dick Monahan 12/3/21 12:27 AM

That was my first thought, too.

mc/rider 12/3/21 6:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 546443)
Sure. Lots of races. Right now. I'll put this in the memory banks. We'll bring it back in a couple of years from now.

When has NASCAR ever intervened in the past decade and things have gone positive for us IOW members?

If you are stifled, reference Speedvision.....SpeedTV...... FS1....

Trusting my gut I am.....

Gold Crown debacle

chrismattlin 12/3/21 12:44 PM

Don't freak out guys! This "NASCAR Roots" content has been available for a couple years now over on NBCSportsGold.com for, like, $5 per month. For those who aren't aware, NBC is shutting down the NBC Sports Network at the end of the year along with the NBCSportsGold platform. NASCAR simply needed a new home for these properties; a home that would put some dough in their coffers. FloSports' growth has simply allowed them to have the cash to pay NASCAR what I'm sure is a sizable fee.

If NASCAR was looking to purchase something here, it would have made tons more sense to purchase the platform that they were already on that is about to go out of business, amirite? Instead of spending money, they are receiving money. (Settle down, boys!)

kendirt 12/3/21 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismattlin (Post 546454)
Don't freak out guys! This "NASCAR Roots" content has been available for a couple years now over on NBCSportsGold.com for, like, $5 per month. For those who aren't aware, NBC is shutting down the NBC Sports Network at the end of the year along with the NBCSportsGold platform. NASCAR simply needed a new home for these properties; a home that would put some dough in their coffers. FloSports' growth has simply allowed them to have the cash to pay NASCAR what I'm sure is a sizable fee.

If NASCAR was looking to purchase something here, it would have made tons more sense to purchase the platform that they were already on that is about to go out of business, amirite? Instead of spending money, they are receiving money. (Settle down, boys!)

No because purchasing the platform they were already on does nothing to rid themselves of competition.

They have a history of trying to destabilize competing series and "competing" is anything with wheels that races and gets too popular. It is what it is.

chrismattlin 12/3/21 1:26 PM

NASCAR is not, in any shape or form, competing with USAC. That's just silly. It's like saying that USAC is gonna buy the World Karting Association to stifle competition.

chrismattlin 12/3/21 1:42 PM

NASCAR competes with the PGA, the NFL, MLB, and if there is competition with wheels, IndyCar.

Do you really believe that NASCAR is so worried about 20,000 viewers breaking away from a viewership out of a couple million to switch to the USAC race on Flo? You guys sure do believe our beloved USAC holds some serious sway, that's for sure; but I love you for it! :9:

PJ Wright 12/3/21 2:21 PM

Chris, NASCAR has a well deserved reputation for caring about one thing and and one thing only: NASCAR. I believe what they say exactly 0% of the time. On my personal rating chart of despicable companies NASCAR is tied with Walmart.

Charles Nungester 12/3/21 3:21 PM

I don't think Flo Sports agreeing to carry coverage of some nascar divisions will have any effect on anything else.

chrismattlin 12/3/21 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ Wright (Post 546458)
Chris, NASCAR has a well deserved reputation for caring about one thing and and one thing only: NASCAR. I believe what they say exactly 0% of the time. On my personal rating chart of despicable companies NASCAR is tied with Walmart.

I agree with you 100%, PJ. I'm sure that's why everyone is overreacting to this news.

TQ29m 12/4/21 10:57 AM

I agree with you, PJ, I have been to one NASCAR race, at the old fairgrounds in Nashville, but have not been in a WalWart store, when people want quality in a product, they go elsewhere, where service is available, and quality is the rule. I have a lot of customers related to Nascar, and Indy racing, and one of my helpers in the Karting business, went on to Nascar as a crew chief, and a lot of local guys followed as fabricators and truck drivers, so it wasn't all bad, but WM, different tale.

ISF 12/4/21 3:01 PM

I am fully cognizant of the fact that my analogy is apples to ground hogs in regards to relativity. But, when one looks at NASCAR's involvement in the Gold Crown misadventure and more recently what has happened to ARCA since the fine folks in Daytona purchased that sanction anyone with an average or better IQ would be just a lil' bit wary of what possibilities NASCAR involvement will have on most anything they get their tentacles into.

Not sayin', just sayin'.

Chief Wahoo 12/4/21 8:04 PM

Best thing about this deal is the Whelen modified series. Was always the best race of the fall Bristol week when I use to go. When they run at New Hampshire it’s always good. The way the can draft there is amazing. You don’t want to be leading with 1 to go!

Stevensville Mike 12/4/21 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo (Post 546493)
Best thing about this deal is the Whelen modified series. Was always the best race of the fall Bristol week when I use to go. When they run at New Hampshire it’s always good. The way the can draft there is amazing. You don’t want to be leading with 1 to go!

I started this NASCAR downer escapade and I still think it will play out for the worse. But I have to agree with you 100% here Chief. Watching the mods will be awesome. Everything else NASCAR might bring to the table on Flo can be tossed in the trash as far as I am concerned.

We'll be at New Smyrna for the season opener in February.

dsc1600 12/6/21 12:23 PM

Flo actually has like $40m of investor money which allows them to make investments into series, put up big purses (unfortunately more so for the LMs so far) etc... It's not like NASCAR getting in with the old SpeedShift or something of that nature. Flo is a partner rather than some stepchild here.

chrismattlin 12/7/21 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 546499)
I started this NASCAR downer escapade and I still think it will play out for the worse. But I have to agree with you 100% here Chief. Watching the mods will be awesome. Everything else NASCAR might bring to the table on Flo can be tossed in the trash as far as I am concerned.

We'll be at New Smyrna for the season opener in February.

The New Smyrna races are a part of the NASCAR Roots package that will be on Flo. Why must you contradict yourself in such few words?
:15:

Stevensville Mike 12/8/21 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismattlin (Post 546600)
The New Smyrna races are a part of the NASCAR Roots package that will be on Flo. Why must you contradict yourself in such few words?
:15:

I was away for a few days, Chris. I am back now.

I guess I do appear contradictory here at times. I really do not care for NASCAR overall anymore. I do, however, enjoy the mods. I watch them via torrent sharing sites flag-to-flag each round. Now that they are on Flo, it makes it easier for me.

Everything else, though, is junk to me. All the trucks ever did was steal from ARCA and Winston West back in the mid-90s when they started up. Both series contained stout veteran drivers and teams at the time. They are now feeder series with young rich kids driving plastic cars with spec engines. All NASCAR crafted.

If you wish to consider New Smyrna NASCAR grass roots.. okay. I think of it as a week-long (or so) Winter vacation for us up North to watch. I haven't been there since 1986. The only reason I am going this year and taking a break from the dirt is the points paying mod opener.

The mods on Flo are my gain. The rest they bring is filler. If it does something for someone, good for them. I'll take an old movie over that crap. We'll see where Flo goes after a couple more years once the new virus within starts to spread.