IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Illinois Sprint Week (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=10955)

live4racing 11/6/08 5:37 PM

Illinois Sprint Week

I'm trying to figure out the best time of the year to put on a Illinois Monster Midwest Sprint Week!! Any idea on your favorite tracks you want to see it at??

illiNOISE 11/6/08 6:18 PM

Re: Illinois Sprint Week

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4racing (Post 72545)
I'm trying to figure out the best time of the year to put on a Illinois Monster Midwest Sprint Week!! Any idea on your favorite tracks you want to see it at??

After the Gold Crown Midget Nationals, is there any question that Tri City would have to be on the schedule?

richie 11/6/08 6:30 PM

Farmer City on a Friday night

winged and non-winged 11/6/08 7:47 PM

Will it be winged or non-winged? Each of the cars are better at different tracks.....

Sprint63122 11/6/08 8:11 PM

Non winged sprint week is the only way to go use the mscs series if you can work something out there.The tracks to think about scheduling is granite city,canton, danville,farmer city,lincoln,jacksonville,flora,and kankakee plus maybe some how there might be a possibility of using red hill speedway.Now the only thing I will comment on this for these tracks to have a good show they need to water the tracks a lot which means no black slick all night long will appear and only run one support class.Has for the time of the year do it before the summer nationals series starts or you are going to have to wait until late august.

shocksurgeon14 11/6/08 8:36 PM

dont forget belleville

arctic monkey21 11/6/08 8:52 PM

Farmer City and Tri-City are best that I've been to in IL. I like Highland, but haven't been there in many years. Having lived between Flora and Red Hill for many years I've seen both several times and don't care very much for either, but heard that Flora was good the second sprint show last year. If Levi can be there many people from Olney would show at either of those tracks. Never been to Fairbury but have heard a lot of good things about that track lately too.

live4racing 11/6/08 9:36 PM

$2000 to win 5 or 6 nights in a row. How many cars? Non Winged? Winged?

mlw23 11/6/08 9:58 PM

I would say 30-40 cars if scheduled right and non-wing all the way

Sprint63122 11/6/08 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arctic monkey21 (Post 72575)
Farmer City and Tri-City are best that I've been to in IL. I like Highland, but haven't been there in many years. Having lived between Flora and Red Hill for many years I've seen both several times and don't care very much for either, but heard that Flora was good the second sprint show last year. If Levi can be there many people from Olney would show at either of those tracks. Never been to Fairbury but have heard a lot of good things about that track lately too.

You heard correct the second Flora show was the way they all should be there, I went back because mother nature put so much water on the track the day before the track would be a lot better, now just hoping the promoter took great notes on how to prep the place for the sprints.Highland is a good place to went to watch the scra when they ran there it was a great race along with godfrey the next night both tracks were heavily watered and the west coast boys did the track packing and put on a hell of a show.Watching the gas man run the b-main at godfrey was one of the few times I have seen a non-winger run wfo the whole race throwing her sideways and never lifting he made a lot of new fans with that race.

SpfldMile 11/6/08 11:59 PM

I'd like to see it run in September. The USAC schedule was real light this year until 4 crown. Jacksonville, Granite City, Lincoln, Danville, Quincy, maybe Joliet if it could be worked out. Spoon River could be good if the track was ever watered.

illiNOISE 11/7/08 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprint63122 (Post 72602)
Highland is a good place to went to watch the scra when they ran there it was a great race along with godfrey the next night both tracks were heavily watered and the west coast boys did the track packing and put on a hell of a show.

Unfortuantely, there's no possibillity of scheduling any show at Godfrey now.

RACEADDICT 11/7/08 10:10 AM

:thumbYou definetly have to include Farmer City, Lincoln, Morgan County and Granite City. I ran both Shows at Flora last year, neat track the second night. A lot of fun and great crowds both times. I too would try to use MSCS if possible but if not I understand. Personally I would rather see something late may or early June before Sprint week and TNT tour.

Sprint63122 11/7/08 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illiNOISE (Post 72638)
Unfortuantely, there's no possibillity of scheduling any show at Godfrey now.

It is to bad we lost that race track to along with Little Springfield in the 80's we seem to be going backward here in IL in that regard and who knows how it will work out for Farmer city to plus Danville status is a big ? right now to.

LocalYokel 11/7/08 8:44 PM

Macon!

Sprint63122 11/8/08 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocalYokel (Post 72725)
Macon!

Why would they want to race there this is non wing sprints for speedweeks not midget racing and plus with that backyard chain link flimsy azz fence they have there I would not even think of having a race there that is a major disaster waiting to happen like have the pin out of the grenade and it is already falling to the ground.

racephoto1 11/8/08 12:11 AM

Belleville for sure. Red Hill if you can get it. Before it closed I saw some god shows there. Use it as a lead up to DuQuoin. I think it would help the crowds both ways. Friday sprints down south and Champ cars on saturday night.

Motormasher 11/8/08 12:17 AM

How come nobody mentioned Mt. Vernon? Its a black slick no passing track like Flora was. If it hadn't been for Levi showing up the 2nd night at Flora that race would of sucked as bad as the 1st one.

Both tracks have a TON of potential if they were prepared properly. But what the hell if ya gotta run a JUNK A$$ DT-3 it won't hook up anyway?:thumbsdown: We aren't saving any money running this tire anymore, its just hurting the compition.

MSCS or a New Series :idea: would be great for the NON USAC guys.

JackWissmller 11/8/08 2:00 AM

If you want Granite City, you better start talking to Kevin now, I know they fill their schedule quick.

Dirtfan 11/8/08 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motormasher (Post 72761)
How come nobody mentioned Mt. Vernon? Its a black slick no passing track like Flora was. If it hadn't been for Levi showing up the 2nd night at Flora that race would of sucked as bad as the 1st one.

Both tracks have a TON of potential if they were prepared properly. But what the hell if ya gotta run a JUNK A$$ DT-3 it won't hook up anyway?:thumbsdown: We aren't saving any money running this tire anymore, its just hurting the compition.

MSCS or a New Series :idea: would be great for the NON USAC guys.

Maybe you could be hired to prepare these tracks, since you don't race anymore, or someone could give you a DT-3 for Christmas?:)

Tripp22 11/8/08 2:11 PM

Lincoln race track has been very fast this year. They seem to have figured out how to work the dirt. As for the DT3. Seen a lot of good photo's posted here showing different. And other post trying to figure out how to keep cost down. Open tire rule just means we'll have to suckup old used tires which most of the goody is gone.
I'm glad to see this week of racing being hashed over so early. Makes me think it could come true. I know the track owners watch these post.
Otie Tripplett

winged and non-winged 11/8/08 9:10 PM

As much as I would love to see the sprintweek happen, I just don't feel very optimistic about it actually happening. There are too many tracks that give verbal commitment at this time of the year, but when it comes time to nut up or shut up they all seem to shut up. With Danville closed, Jacksonville in limbo, and Sumner not even open, There isn't alot of tracks left that have actually had sprint car races in the last few years. I would do my best to help out any way that I could, but untill there is commitment with racetracks I will still feel this way.

Bullringsarebest 11/9/08 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winged and non-winged (Post 72829)
As much as I would love to see the sprintweek happen, I just don't feel very optimistic about it actually happening. There are too many tracks that give verbal commitment at this time of the year, but when it comes time to nut up or shut up they all seem to shut up. With Danville closed, Jacksonville in limbo, and Sumner not even open, There isn't alot of tracks left that have actually had sprint car races in the last few years. I would do my best to help out any way that I could, but untill there is commitment with racetracks I will still feel this way.

This series is closer to becoming a reality than you think.Jacksonville in limbo?????...Did I go somewhere??:D.I didn't start this thread.So there is more than one track interested in you're opinions.

fotojeff 11/9/08 3:22 PM

How about LaSalle or even up North to Freeport?

illiNOISE 11/9/08 4:01 PM

How about a date at the new New Berlin, IL track that's supposed to open next year?

Come to think of it, has anyone heard much on this track lately?

SpfldMile 11/9/08 4:58 PM

I'll be surprised if it is ever more than a practice track. To me it doesn't look like there is enough room there for pits, stands, etc.

live4racing 11/11/08 9:53 AM

Would the 2nd week of June interfere w/ anything?

RR>LR=LTO 11/11/08 10:25 AM

Make it Thursday Friday Saturday and keep the tracks tight in driving distance. Since you will run without wings, make the first show close to Missouri and bring it back toward Indiana. The reasoning behind this: most of your cars will come from Indiana. Add a Wednesday show at your own risk. Labor Day weekend would be perfect. UASC has a race then, but you don't want a UASC sanction anyway. MSCS is perfect. Also, bring your own rules; tire,safety, and penalty. And YOUR flagman. Jacksonville was a nightmare last time. Don't get over zealous. Start small this year, and build. Without USAC it could become bigger than Indiana's Sprint week if you can get the purse. Racers and teams don't want to race everyday. BUT three or four races, in close proximity, with a big purse that pays well deep into the field will draw tons of cars and car owners. The only downside:::Illinois speed limits!!!
One more thing, Advertise and Promote. Get flyers ready to pass out at the Chili Bowl. The first thing the racing community will do is check and see what it pays to win and what second through fifth pays. Then they will check what it pays to start. Make it ALLLL good. $2500 to win each night. $250 to start. $2000 for second. $750 for fifth? $12,000 purse? Raise $36,000 dollars and get back to me.

flyer 11/11/08 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4racing (Post 73099)
Would the 2nd week of June interfere w/ anything?

If the schedules remain similar to last year, the second week in June would work.
Flora, Red Hill, Jacksonville, Lincoln, Farmer City, Fairbury.

kylecumminsfan 11/11/08 6:22 PM

this would be awesome!!!! :checkered:

dirtnonwingfan 11/11/08 7:29 PM

Jacksonville and Granite City for sure. They have proved that they have the skill and the will to put on excellent non-wing shows. From another post, it looks like Indiana Midget Week might be the second week of June. I agree, however, that earlier in the season is better. If it is Thursday, Friday and Saturday, I agree with moving toward Indiana so the teams can get to Kokomo on Sunday night without too long a tow. Danville, Farmer City, Fairbury or Kankakee would do that. Does Lincoln have enough stands to support a big purse without a high ticket/pit pass price? Don't know, just asking. Macon would seem to be a bit wee.

I love the idea. Right now Jacksonville is the only thing which open-wheel fans have and more would certainly be nice.

Frank Daigh

Sprint63122 11/11/08 7:59 PM

Maybe the early June start would work and how about Jacksonville thursday night on to Farmer City on Friday night and Saturday night at Danville or Lincoln then the guys will be ready for Kokomo on Sunday night.
If this works out good then later this summer how about running Canton thursday , Granite City friday night and then on to Flora on saturday and finish the weekend up at Haubstadt or if they do anything there this year at Red Hill.
This would give you two short speedweeks for IL. and space them out for the non-wings run only two classes and the format like they do at Haubstadt everyone draws and for the support class there heat races are timed and they run last feature and can take has long has they want to then.

carrytheleftfront 11/13/08 3:57 PM

If you want it to be a successful Sprint Week you need to have USAC run it. You will be able to bring guys in from the West Coast. You will get 2 or 3 cars just from Cory Kruseman. PLus you will bring USAC's normal group of cars chasing National Points. You would double your car count just by adding USAC's name...

I would say run it in the beginning of the year. Early June.. .:usacfan

Now all you USAC bashers may begin to tear me up about how USAC would hurt it..

RACEADDICT 11/13/08 4:19 PM

:USAC would not hurt it other than not being affordable to tracks that are typically not sprint car tracks. You cant expect them to be willing to pay that kind of Sanction for such a new idea. Thats why I think MSCS would be a great way to go because they have a nice group of travelers with plenty of hot shots showing up from time to time. Plus give some of the pretty darn good Illinois drivers some credit, they did pretty well at Jacksonvilles big show in september against some of the best.

Just hoping it happens and goes of well for those involved.

Kirk Spridgeon 11/13/08 5:00 PM

Justin,
You're exactly right, but I don't think they're looking for something on the level of Indiana's Sprintweek. Something with a smaller purse that draws good regional racers (and can attract the MSCS-like 40ish cars) can work out for those tracks in Illinois. Really, most of them cannot support a USAC-size event, and USAC really does not need to be spending their time trying to cultivate a week like this in a region they already saturate.

I hope this goes over. It would be good for sprint car racing in Illinois, and it could provide four or five decent-paying shows for those guys who just race sprint cars, while maybe USAC is off somewhere else, preferably with midgets or champ cars, maybe even pavement.

dirtnonwingfan 11/13/08 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprint63122 (Post 73165)
Maybe the early June start would work and how about Jacksonville thursday night on to Farmer City on Friday night and Saturday night at Danville or Lincoln then the guys will be ready for Kokomo on Sunday night.
If this works out good then later this summer how about running Canton thursday , Granite City friday night and then on to Flora on saturday and finish the weekend up at Haubstadt or if they do anything there this year at Red Hill.
This would give you two short speedweeks for IL. and space them out for the non-wings run only two classes and the format like they do at Haubstadt everyone draws and for the support class there heat races are timed and they run last feature and can take has long has they want to then.

Excellent idea! Why not two "mini-weeks"? I like this a lot. I also agree that a USAC sanction is not what is needed, both from the standpoint of the expense to the tracks and the needs of USAC. Great thread. Thanks for starting it.

Frank Daigh

mortboyz 11/13/08 11:07 PM

I'd still like to see a USAC Sprint/POWRi Midget show on Friday@ Granite City, Saturday at I-55 Pevely, and Champ Cars at Gateway on Sunday afternoon.....:thumb

Sprint63122 11/14/08 2:06 AM

There is no need to have a usac sanction on this deal here in IL. save your money and if you want a group to work with then use the mscs series that will give you good car count to start off with and just go from there.Has for the comment of usac being oversaturated here with the sprints in the midwest is such a line of bs.The dates they have for the dirt is so way below what they should be doing around here and waiting to see what there 2009 schedule is.

Kirk Spridgeon 11/14/08 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprint63122 (Post 73448)
There is no need to have a usac sanction on this deal here in IL. save your money and if you want a group to work with then use the mscs series that will give you good car count to start off with and just go from there.Has for the comment of usac being oversaturated here with the sprints in the midwest is such a line of bs.The dates they have for the dirt is so way below what they should be doing around here and waiting to see what there 2009 schedule is.

If non-Sprintweek USAC sprint car races in the Midwest got great crowds, then I would agree with you. But a USAC race at Jacksonville, or Farmer City, or whatever, does nothing for the USAC brand. A weekend swing at facilities such as Granite City, Pevely, Lake Ozark, Lucas Oil, etc. would be good for the USAC brand. That's the difference...

Before USAC adds a bunch more dirt races (and continues to put the strain on their teams to follow the series), they need to strengthen the dates they do have, and continue to pursue making it a true two-surface series, because the pavement has been dwindling....

SpfldMile 11/14/08 10:43 AM

Maybe a good time for Il sprint week would be when USAC is out east. The top traveling teams would be gone, but there would be plenty of good cars to support it. An MSCS sanction would guarantee a good car count. I would really love to see it happen.