IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   March madness (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=108496)

i love dirt track racing 3/21/19 2:53 PM

March madness

Well just wanted to see who everyone is picking to win the ncaa basketball tournament this year. Lol. And as a bonus question what is your pick for the usac nationals sprint car championship driver championship and the usac midget racing championship. Thanks.

IndianaSprintFan 3/21/19 3:06 PM

Duke
Windom
Sunshine

oppweld 3/21/19 5:53 PM

Duke, Leary, Leary

7horse 3/21/19 5:55 PM

North Carolina
Ballou

dirt330 3/21/19 8:14 PM

Virginia ballou and sunshine

LB 3/21/19 10:15 PM

Thursday night dart league on BBC ,,and we don't watch basketball ,,

RockinRy 3/22/19 1:24 AM

Re: March madness

North Carolina
Grant
KTJ

scottyCbus 3/22/19 11:40 AM

Duke
Stockon
Leary

WinglessLovers 3/22/19 11:50 AM

North Carolina

Kevin Thomas Jr.

Kevin Thomas Jr.

Simon_says17 3/22/19 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LB (Post 510525)
Thursday night dart league on BBC ,,and we don't watch basketball ,,

Heck yeah! However I try to watch on my phone or computer so I get to see EVERYTHING, instead of the edited edition they air on BBC.

revjimk 3/22/19 2:15 PM

Duke....they have the best players. Other TEAMS might be better, but I'm going with talent
No clue on racing champs, I just watch. I know a lot more about hoops, since I've been playing and/or watching for almost 60 yrs., sprint cars only 10....
But I'll guess: Sunshine in sprints, SOMEBODY in Kunz Armada in midgets?

jim goerge 3/24/19 11:21 PM

Michigan State Double D Grant, I also had Murray State too, They"re not only a hell of a team but I love they"re name The RACERS lol :8::8: ;);)

tdt636 3/25/19 12:02 PM

Ballou is going to win everything...even the NCAA tourney

revjimk 3/25/19 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdt636 (Post 510691)
Ballou is going to win everything...even the NCAA tourney

Thats funny...
i hear he can jam the ball with his eyebrows... :5:

revjimk 3/25/19 11:47 PM

OK, analogy: College hoops is to NBA as wingless sprints are to WoO...
College/ Wingless: less $$$, more finesse
Pro/WoO: more $$, more pure speed
Plus they prefer college ball/wingless in Indiana! (at least they did in Bob Knight era....)
Or is HS ball bigger now in Indiana? I wish i could have seen it when all the schools played the same tourney....:8:

tdt636 3/26/19 5:20 PM

College ball. High school lost is glamour when we switched to classes for the tournament

tdt636 3/26/19 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 510709)
Thats funny...
i hear he can jam the ball with his eyebrows... :5:

Ballou is the Chuck Norris of sprintcar racing

ISF 3/26/19 7:26 PM

Much of the appeal and popularity of the state high school basketball tournaments has been lost over here in Illinois, as well. It's due to the tournament being divided into 4 separate classes. It's pretty much ho-hum these days and no one seems to care much anymore unless a local school is involved.

The most excitement that has been generated by the high schooler's in a while happened this year in the sectional final somewhere in Chicago. A player for North Lawndale appeared to undercut a Farragut player who was in the process of dunking. The benches cleared and the crowd came on the floor and got involved in a full on brawl that lasted something like 5 minutes. The cops cleared the gym and play never resumed. Farragut was leading 54-50 at the time of the brawl about 1 minute was left to play. No team advanced to the supersectional from that sectional.

revjimk 3/27/19 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdt636 (Post 510740)
College ball. High school lost is glamour when we switched to classes for the tournament

I'm not surprised to hear that. When did the tourney change? When was the last time a small school won the whole shebang?
But I thought maybe college ball had lost some luster since Bob Knight left.... do you guys root for teams like Purdue & Butler?
NCAA tourney is my favorite sporting event of them all (sorry sprint fans.... I like this too!)
One more thing: on my annual migration from Colorado to the East Coast every summer, it can get boring, so I stop at lots of little museums. I had a GREAT time at Indiana HS hoops museum in New Castle! Its a circular tour, they start you off in a little theater & show a film about Hoosier ball. I was the only person watching....a little old man was up on a ladder fixing something & came down when they showed 1951 (?) HS Champs: "See that guy in the back row? Thats me!" He then proceeded to give me the ultimate guided tour, wouldn't stop talking (a Hoosier Dick Vitale? ;) ) Gotta luv the enthusiasm!
Jimmy Rayl & Ray Peavey! (SP?) :8:

superstock30 3/28/19 12:01 AM

1954 would've been the Milan championship. The last true small school champ. The movie Hoosiers was loosely based on that team.
Next time you get to the Indy area you need to eat at Booby Plump's "last shot" resturant. He was the star of the 54 team and runs a resturant in the Indy area. VERY nice guy! Last I heard he was still there almost every day and loves to talk to visitors at his joint.

7horse 3/28/19 8:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstock30 (Post 510804)
1951 would've been the Milan championship. The last true small school champ. The movie Hoosiers was loosely based on that team.
Next time you get to the Indy area you need to eat at Booby Plump's "last shot" resturant. He was the star of the 51 team and runs a resturant in the Indy area. VERY nice guy! Last I heard he was still there almost every day and loves to talk to visitors at his joint.

Milan won it in 1954.

superstock30 3/28/19 4:58 PM

Thanks for the correction. I've watched Hoosiers too many times! The movie is set in 1951. lol

revjimk 3/28/19 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdt636 (Post 510741)
Ballou is the Chuck Norris of sprintcar racing

I'm gonna guess Chuck can't hoop worth a damn.....:19:

revjimk 3/28/19 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstock30 (Post 510804)
1954 would've been the Milan championship. The last true small school champ. The movie Hoosiers was loosely based on that team.
Next time you get to the Indy area you need to eat at Booby Plump's "last shot" resturant. He was the star of the 54 team and runs a resturant in the Indy area. VERY nice guy! Last I heard he was still there almost every day and loves to talk to visitors at his joint.

Thanks for the tip.... but the BIG question: how's the food?
When Charles Barkley opens a rib joint, I'm there!!! :11;

illiNOISE 3/30/19 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 510795)
I stop at lots of little museums. I had a GREAT time at Indiana HS hoops museum in New Castle! Its a circular tour, they start you off in a little theater & show a film about Hoosier ball. I was the only person watching....a little old man was up on a ladder fixing something & came down when they showed 1951 (?) HS Champs: "See that guy in the back row? Thats me!" He then proceeded to give me the ultimate guided tour, wouldn't stop talking (a Hoosier Dick Vitale? ;) ) Gotta luv the enthusiasm!
Jimmy Rayl & Ray Peavey! (SP?) :8:

That place is just awesome. Anyone who went to a small high school, or just a school with a quirky gym, needs to check that museum out.

i love dirt track racing 3/30/19 7:04 PM

Milan is about 20 miles from the burg area. They have a museum in the town that has stuff from the 1954 championship.

jim goerge 3/31/19 7:45 PM

GOOD BYE Kentucky, GOOD BYE Duke LOL :11;:11;:11; GO MICHIGAN STATE :8::8::D

revjimk 3/31/19 11:21 PM

This was one of the best weekends of hoops I've seen in my 50 plus years of watching. Sweet 16 was great, Elite 8 was amazing.... every game this weekend was close fought, & none of them were decided by bad calls or dumb plays. All the teams deserved to win! I don't even care much who wins.....
From Lou Carnesecca, longtime coach at St. John's (2 blocks from where I grew up in Queens, NY): "Life is good. basketball is better":8:

revjimk 3/31/19 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illiNOISE (Post 510974)
That place is just awesome. Anyone who went to a small high school, or just a school with a quirky gym, needs to check that museum out.

I don't know how big the HS in New Castle is, but they have the biggest HS gym in the world!:6:

revjimk 4/1/19 6:15 PM

Mich. State & Virginia appear to be the 2 best teams, but is Auburn "the team of destiny" after defeating legendary dynasties Kansas, North Carolina & Kentucky?
Or does that mean Texas Tech is gonna win?
I luv this tournament!:8:

superstock30 4/1/19 7:17 PM

I'm pulling for Texas Tech, the HC was an assistant under the greatest of all time. "The General" Robert Montgomery Knight!!

jim goerge 4/2/19 4:20 PM

The Auburn Head coach Bruce Pearl got his start here in Evansville by coaching USI (U of Southern Indiana) where Bruce took the Screaming Eagles to the Div. 2 title in I believe the mid 80s :8::8:

ISF 4/2/19 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstock30 (Post 511069)
I'm pulling for Texas Tech, the HC was an assistant under the greatest of all time. "The General" Robert Montgomery Knight!!

Greatest of all time? Hmmmm. :10: :3:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim goerge (Post 511113)
The Auburn Head coach Bruce Pearl got his start here in Evansville by coaching USI (U of Southern Indiana) where Bruce took the Screaming Eagles to the Div. 2 title in I believe the mid 80s :8::8:

In the mid '80's POS pearl was nowhere near USI, he was an assistant at Stanford. After that, POS pearl was an assistant at the University of Iowa (he fit right in at Iowa) through the late '80's into the early '90's before he was pretty much run out of Iowa City and essentially blackballed from coaching for being a lying, slimeball POS. At some point after the Iowa debacle USI lowered themselves to hire him. He then left USI and went to UW Milwaukee where, remarkably, he actually slithered out of Milwaukee without putting them on NCAA probation. Not so lucky at Tennessee where the Vols were compelled to fire POS pearl by the NCAA for recruiting violations and lying (see a pattern?) to the NCAA. Now POS pearl is Auburn's problem, but given Auburn's track record POS pearl fit's right in there, too, at least until the NCAA comes to town snoopin' around! POS pearl is living proof that as long as you can motivate college kids and hang a few W's you can be as big a slimeball as God ever put a breath of life into and some college or university somewhere is willing soil themselves enough to hire you. So it goes in college athletics! :11;

Chief Wahoo 4/3/19 2:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISF (Post 511128)
Greatest of all time? Hmmmm. :10: :3:

In the mid '80's POS pearl was nowhere near USI, he was an assistant at Stanford. After that, POS pearl was an assistant at the University of Iowa (he fit right in at Iowa) through the late '80's into the early '90's before he was pretty much run out of Iowa City and essentially blackballed from coaching for being a lying, slimeball POS. At some point after the Iowa debacle USI lowered themselves to hire him. He then left USI and went to UW Milwaukee where, remarkably, he actually slithered out of Milwaukee without putting them on NCAA probation. Not so lucky at Tennessee where the Vols were compelled to fire POS pearl by the NCAA for recruiting violations and lying (see a pattern?) to the NCAA. Now POS pearl is Auburn's problem, but given Auburn's track record POS pearl fit's right in there, too, at least until the NCAA comes to town snoopin' around! POS pearl is living proof that as long as you can motivate college kids and hang a few W's you can be as big a slimeball as God ever put a breath of life into and some college or university somewhere is willing soil themselves enough to hire you. So it goes in college athletics! :11;

Damn dude you got serious issues. You sound like he ducked out on a dinner date with your sister and leff her with the check. Yeah the lying at Tennessee came from Aaron Craft ( go Buckeyes), a cookout that was wrong. Hardly like he’s a POS. Did nothing wrong while he was here at USI. Are you a butt hurt KY fan or what?

team3521 4/4/19 7:51 AM

Pretty sure he’s calling a POS a POS.
A spade is a spade all day long.

Rpracing1 4/4/19 9:09 AM

^^^^ Yes Butt hurt KY. fans dime a dozen these days. ^^^^^ Guess the one and done not so good . LOL

revjimk 4/4/19 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstock30 (Post 511069)

Get real. I'm a certified UCLA hater, but John Wooden was easily the best college hoops coach of all time
Knight was a great coach, no doubt, but a bully who seemed to take all the fun out of the game for lots of his players, IMHO. Just ask Hoosier stars, Larry Bird & Scott Skiles. Bird was there a few days & left, Scott chose Michigan State...:19: