IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Auto Value Super Sprints Sched (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=107381)

MIracing 12/14/18 6:56 PM

Auto Value Super Sprints Sched

AVBBSS released their schedule. A lot of non wing and a lot of Indiana on the schedule. Winchester got a date! Should be interesting.

April 11, Mobile AL – KOTW – no AVBBSS points

April 12, Pensacola FL – KOTW – no AVBBSS points

April 13, Montgomery AL – KOTW – no AVBBSS points

April 27, Toledo OH – debut non-wing race (rain date April 28)

May 11, Baer Field, Fort Wayne, IN – non-wing

May 30, Midwest King of the Wing – AVBBSS points – tentative date with location to be announced

May 31, Midwest King of the Wing – AVBBSS points – tentative date with location to be announced

June 1, Midwest King of the Wing – AVBBSS points – tentative date with location to be announced

June 14, Kalamazoo, MI – non-wing

June 20, Anderson, IN – non-wing

June 29, Baer Field, Fort Wayne, IN – non-wing

July 5, Colorado – KOTW – no AVBBSS points

July 6, Colorado – KOTW – no AVBBSS points

July 13, New Paris, IN – Winged Super Sprints

July 20, Berlin, MI – non-winged

July 26, Kalamazoo, MI – non-wing

Aug 3, Anderson, IN – non-wing

Aug 10, Winchester, IN – non-wing, tentative date

Aug 17, Baer Field, Fort Wayne, IN – Winged Super Sprints

September 12, Anderson, IN – non-wing

October 5, Anderson, IN – non-wing

brsteg 12/14/18 7:15 PM

Re: Auto Value Super Sprints Sched

What track is in New Paris, In?

racefan20 12/14/18 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brsteg (Post 506364)
What track is in New Paris, In?

http://www.newparisspeedway.com/

stoney 12/14/18 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 506365)

wonder how many cars will show up for this non-wing crap. usac went out of business racing with 5 competitive teams and 5-10 so-so teams (spartan specials) !

MIracing 12/14/18 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoney (Post 506368)
wonder how many cars will show up for this non-wing crap. usac went out of business racing with 5 competitive teams and 5-10 so-so teams (spartan specials) !

Anderson ran some non wing shows last year. I believe 18 was their lowest count.

oppweld 12/14/18 10:15 PM

When was the last non wing Sprint race at Winchester?

duel 12/14/18 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oppweld (Post 506372)

The last usac race had 16 cars. Tracy set a track record for usac. That date was i think was last nw race there. I will support this effort. Seems to be a good bunch of pavement sprints out there looking to race. I just hope they can pay decent and get a few good sponsors involved to keep it going.

Stevensville Mike 12/14/18 11:03 PM

After who knows how many years trying to slug it out with the Must See Racing Xtreme Sprints, and their differing tire rule which held numbers down (the few that there were to begin with), I think this non-wing deal might be the best idea this series has come up with in decades.

Stevensville Mike 12/15/18 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oppweld (Post 506372)

Hate to double post, but...... early 00s?

I remember Winchester underwent a repaving around 1996/97-ish, or so. They tried to make it a two groove track and prevent everyone from running upstairs. However, the paving job left a huge crease/change of banking between the low line and the high line, subsequently making the low line useless. After that, EVERYONE had to run the top line and no one could pass, or even think about passing downstairs. It was repaved again shortly after that and the owner took a bath and sold the whole joint They still had great ASA stock car races there, televised on TNN, but USAC....? Maybe a titch of races after the turn of the century, but that was it, I am thinking. If they even RAN there after 1999.

As for the topic at hand, though (AVSS schedule and non-wing.wing), we need our good friend Tom Paterson to chime in on this one. When Tom speaks on the pavement sprint topic, we should all put everything down and devote our full attention to his words.

Tom?

erich45 12/15/18 1:45 AM

Last USAC sprint race @Winchester 9/18/2011 won by Tracy Hines.

chop 12/15/18 7:32 AM

Thanks for the news. I was looking at Berlin's just posted races for 2019. Saw the non wing sprint car listed. Was going to have a post here asking if anyone knew about it. I think the last time a non wing sprint car race was ran at Berlin was a USAC 4th of July race a real long time ago.

Tony74 12/15/18 7:57 AM

Awesome to see the work that Rick/Jared at Anderson Speedway is paying off and has helped to get us traveling shows.

duel 12/15/18 10:49 AM

Last USAC race at Winchester 9-18-2011. Rich Vogler Classic. Tracy Hines ntr for usac and winner. Followed by East, Windom, Kody Swanson, and Kyle Larson.

duel 12/15/18 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=erich45;506385]Last USAC sprint race @Winchester 9/18/2011 won by Tracy Hines.[/QUOTE
double post sorry

erich45 12/15/18 1:26 PM

No worries. You had more information than I.

1121 12/16/18 2:34 AM

Wow! Two things I never thought I’d read on IOW: “non-winged crap” and “we need our good friend Tom Paterson to chime in here.” While I doubt if I am all knowing on the state of pavement racing, I definitely have opinions, so I guess, since you asked, here we go.

Racing in general is in trouble. While many of you are quick to comment on NASCAR crowds being down from what they were 10 years ago, you seem to forget that Indy Car, except for the Indy 500, have almost embarrassing crowds at some of their venues. Weekly shows at our beloved dirt tracks all over the country are struggling to get by. And the weekly pavement tracks are just as bad.

I’m finding myself in transition from Driver to Fan. Next month I’m going to be 57 years old and this was my 30th year of driving sprint cars. Even though I’ve driven at almost every dirt track in the state and I still try to drive dirt a couple of times a year, I’m known primarily as a pavement driver.

As a fan, I find myself as a unique individual in that, while I have my favorites, I’ll watch any kind racing. I’ve said many a time that I’ll watch two squirrels race up a tree. But I know I’m in the minority. While there are fans travel around with their favorite series, most fans go to the same track week in and week out with maybe one or two trips a year where they go see a traveling series of some kind.

If these fans are lucky, they have a traveling series that comes to their home track. And it’s my opinion that many of these fans are becoming bored with the various traveling series. Outside of the Knoxville Nationals and maybe Indiana Sprint week, the traveling series just aren’t pulling the crowds like they used to. It’s my contention that we need to give the fans something different and in the pavement world, I think that will be non-winged sprints.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that as we roll into these tracks without our wings that all of a sudden, the stands will be packed. I’m not that naive. We have to show up with a good car count. We have to put on good, clean show. In other words, we need to give the fans their money’s worth and then some.

I’m sure some tracks will not embrace non-winged racing. But I truly believe that some will. And hopefully some will do both winged and non-winged.

On the racer side, I think car count will be the key. Anderson has shown that the cars are out there. I think there was close to 30 cars at the Tony Elliott Classic this fall. I think the key to making the Auto Value races work will be in getting some of the Indiana guys to head north. And then getting the Michigan guys to come down to the Indiana races.

I applaud the Auto Value Super Sprint Series for trying something new (at least in their world). If we expect things to get better, we have to be willing to take risks.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

Stevensville Mike 12/16/18 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1121 (Post 506414)
Wow! Two things I never thought I’d read on IOW: “non-winged crap” and “we need our good friend Tom Paterson to chime in here.” While I doubt if I am all knowing on the state of pavement racing, I definitely have opinions, so I guess, since you asked, here we go.

Racing in general is in trouble. While many of you are quick to comment on NASCAR crowds being down from what they were 10 years ago, you seem to forget that Indy Car, except for the Indy 500, have almost embarrassing crowds at some of their venues. Weekly shows at our beloved dirt tracks all over the country are struggling to get by. And the weekly pavement tracks are just as bad.

I’m finding myself in transition from Driver to Fan. Next month I’m going to be 57 years old and this was my 30th year of driving sprint cars. Even though I’ve driven at almost every dirt track in the state and I still try to drive dirt a couple of times a year, I’m known primarily as a pavement driver.

As a fan, I find myself as a unique individual in that, while I have my favorites, I’ll watch any kind racing. I’ve said many a time that I’ll watch two squirrels race up a tree. But I know I’m in the minority. While there are fans travel around with their favorite series, most fans go to the same track week in and week out with maybe one or two trips a year where they go see a traveling series of some kind.

If these fans are lucky, they have a traveling series that comes to their home track. And it’s my opinion that many of these fans are becoming bored with the various traveling series. Outside of the Knoxville Nationals and maybe Indiana Sprint week, the traveling series just aren’t pulling the crowds like they used to. It’s my contention that we need to give the fans something different and in the pavement world, I think that will be non-winged sprints.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that as we roll into these tracks without our wings that all of a sudden, the stands will be packed. I’m not that naive. We have to show up with a good car count. We have to put on good, clean show. In other words, we need to give the fans their money’s worth and then some.

I’m sure some tracks will not embrace non-winged racing. But I truly believe that some will. And hopefully some will do both winged and non-winged.

On the racer side, I think car count will be the key. Anderson has shown that the cars are out there. I think there was close to 30 cars at the Tony Elliott Classic this fall. I think the key to making the Auto Value races work will be in getting some of the Indiana guys to head north. And then getting the Michigan guys to come down to the Indiana races.

I applaud the Auto Value Super Sprint Series for trying something new (at least in their world). If we expect things to get better, we have to be willing to take risks.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

Thanx for answering the chime, Tom. You are the smartest guy in the room with respect to this topic. Always respected on this forum, and TJ's old one, you are.

jdull99 12/16/18 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duel (Post 506392)
Last USAC race at Winchester 9-18-2011. Rich Vogler Classic. Tracy Hines ntr for usac and winner. Followed by East, Windom, Kody Swanson, and Kyle Larson.

And, I'm pretty sure, when Kyle 1st went taxi-cab (lol) racing, they used to say he never ran pavement...many of us knew better! Still amazing the LITTLE bit of pavement experience that he did have (compared to Jeff/Tony/Newman/Kahne/etc - that all were able to take advantage of the Thunder series and such, at it's peak), he was able to adapt so quickly to that style racing, in a 2nd tier team(...imagine if Chevy had money to put into racing still too [no way to they support it like Toyota does...unless Indycar is counted...the way it is, idk if they lose money on that tho...], &/or if Hendrick would get rid of Willy the kid Byron and put him in the 24 where Larson belongs...lol)

ossuks 12/16/18 10:49 AM

There are several Indy Car races that have tremendous crowds!!

kb78 12/16/18 11:03 AM

Am I wrong or isn't the non-wing race the same day as the USAC Silver Crown race up there? I have never been to Toledo, sounds like a good trip to make.

1121 12/16/18 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb78 (Post 506426)
Am I wrong or isn't the non-wing race the same day as the USAC Silver Crown race up there? I have never been to Toledo, sounds like a good trip to make.

This is one that I'm really excited about. I love the Crown cars and hope to drive one some day. I feel like I'll be getting paid to watch a race. I would think that guys like Kody Swanson, Aaron Pierce and Bobby Santos will pull double duty. I think it would be great if someone would put up a bonus if someone could win both.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

Puppy 12/17/18 1:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoney (Post 506368)

Always good to hear from the keyboard cowboys!

And isn't it good to see a positive Pavement post on IoW again???

And yes its good to see the Anderson work blossom into more shows, I hope more of the winged guys will embrace the non wing thing....

btwhit01 12/19/18 7:16 PM

Salem and Winchester with open wheel races on the same weekend Aug 10th :14:

Stevensville Mike 12/20/18 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btwhit01 (Post 506592)
Salem and Winchester with open wheel races on the same weekend Aug 10th :14:

A tad odd it is. However, looking at the AVSS schedule the Winchester date IS listed as a tentative date.

They'll HAVE to change it or it will turn out bad. AVSS is playing/appealing to the USAC crowd more than anyone.

Rich Mersereau 12/20/18 8:18 PM

The Winchester date will be moved, got it from a reliable source.

Stevensville Mike 12/20/18 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau (Post 506652)

Ear to the ground.... good reporting, Rich. :6:

Rich Mersereau 12/21/18 9:03 PM

The kitchen table never lies. Right? :5::5::5:

Chase Hightower 12/24/18 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1121 (Post 506414)

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

AGREE!!!! I never thought people would ***** about no wings, more racing, and pavement gaining races and tracks th run at. Some people nothing could make happy. Simple, if you don’t like it, stay home.

brsteg 12/26/18 12:36 PM

Just thought I'd share since the topic has been a lot about Winchester. Not the last race, but video from the 2010 race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6Qoj7Qu_k

brsteg 12/26/18 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duel (Post 506392)

HINES WINS “RICH VOGLER CLASSIC” AT WINCHESTER

Winchester, IN……..It took fast qualifier Tracy Hines of New Castle, Ind. just 12 laps to come from sixth starting position to pass pole starter Bobby East for the lead in Sunday’s “Rich Vogler Classic” at the Winchester Speedway. Hines and his Fatheadz/BS Motorsports Beast/Mopar led the final 19 laps of the 30-lap AMSOIL USAC Pavement Sprint car race to beat East, Chris Windom, Kody Swanson and Kyle Larson. USAC Pavement Sprint point leader Bobby Santos III finished sixth to retain the pavement point lead going into next Thursday night’s “Thursday Night Thunder” race at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis, Ind.

AMSOIL USAC PAVEMENT SPRINT CAR RACE RESULTS: September 18, 2011 – Winchester, Indiana – Winchester Speedway – “Rich Vogler Classic”

QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Tracy Hines, 4, Hines-14.015; 2. Tanner Swanson, 17T, TK-14.458; 3. Kody Swanson, 75, TK-14.570; 4. Chris Windom, 17, Windom-14.661; 5. Bobby Santos III, 98s, Santos-14.842; 6. Bobby East, 5, Klatt-14.868; 7. Jacob Wilson, 07, WRB-14.941; 8. Kyle Larson, 67, Kunz-15.046; 9. Aaron Pierce, 26, Pierce-15.079; 10. Brian Olson, 59, Powell-15.172; 11. Russ Gamester, 35, Gamester-15.209; 12. Caleb Armstrong, 7A, C & A-NT; 13. JoJo Helberg, 7, Helberg-NT; 14. Brian Gerster, 27, Davis/Gerster-NT.

FIRST HEAT: (8 laps) 1. Pierce, 2. Wilson, 3. Hines, 4. K.Swanson, 5. Santos, 6. Gamester. 2:01.34

SECOND HEAT: (8 laps) 1. Larson, 2. Windom, 3. Olson, 4. T.Swanson, 5. East. 2:01.89

FEATURE: (30 laps) 1. Tracy Hines, 2. Bobby East, 3. Chris Windom, 4. Kody Swanson, 5. Kyle Larson, 6. Bobby Santos III, 7. Jacob Wilson, 8. Aaron Pierce, 9. Brian Olson, 10. Tanner Swanson, 11. Russ Gamester. NT

--------------------------------

FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-11 East, Laps 12-30 Hines.

NEW AMSOIL PAVEMENT SPRINT POINTS: 1-Santos-304; 2-T.Swanson-290; 3-East-286; 4-Windom-280; 5-K.Swanson-265; 6-Wilson-256; 7-Hines-246; 8-Gerster-193; 9-Gamester-187; 10-Olson-177.

http://www.usacracing.com/news/sprin...-at-winchester

duel 12/27/18 5:30 PM

Must have been the year before Tracy set a usac sprint ntr just under 14.00 at Winchester. looks like 2010 they had 16 cars and Shane Hmiel won. I can't seem to find that fact being older and confused. It is good to see avss put these beautiful pavement cars on a schedule at different tracks. I for one hope it works.

Bad Dad 54 12/29/18 5:02 PM

Looked the schedule over for both AVSS & MSR & was disappointed:13:, only pavement race near me is the new Dixie Event Center in Birch Run (the Old Dixie Speedway). No Owosso or Auto City - bummer, I don't blame the associations at all, Owosso is for sale, they have some great racing there for pavement:6:. Auto City has turned into an event center that seems to be featuring what I call "Gong Show" racing:11;, not real racing:29:, if it's paying the bills oh well, me guess I'll stay home. Maybe I'll sell my push truck or covert it to street use, I have a lotta laughs at cruise nights w/ it:8: http://jimmyjeep.com/michigan.html scroll down

Indy1808 2/2/19 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau (Post 506652)

Anybody have any more info on this? I still hope it happens. :23:

Tony74 2/3/19 6:09 PM

It's not on the Avss website either, the assumed weekend was typically Old Timers at Winchester but it is also not on their schedule.