IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   IMS Dirt Track Lives (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=104828)

brsteg 6/19/18 11:56 AM

IMS Dirt Track Lives

USAC Midgets to open Brickyard 400 weekend at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway says Robin Miller.

https://racer.com/2018/06/19/ims-to-...ascar-weekend/

addictedtodirt 6/19/18 12:02 PM

I think Robin forgot that USAC sprints are at GC on 9-7. That would mean the midgets would have to run on the 6th.

brsteg 6/19/18 12:07 PM

Re: IMS Dirt Track Lives

Quote:

Originally Posted by addictedtodirt (Post 496388)
I think Robin forgot that USAC sprints are at GC on 9-7. That would mean the midgets would have to run on the 6th.

I hope they end up on Wednesday instead of Thursday. Xfinity Practices Friday, maybe someone says hey we need a clean up day before running on the big track. I could go to a Wed. race; I'm out if it's Thursday... I know this is the Open Wheel Forum but the World 100 is the big dog that weekend at Eldora and they start racing Thursday.

davidm 6/19/18 12:39 PM

Once those tin top fans get a whiff of Methanol fumes and some dirt in their beer they'll never be the same. :3:

cleatziff 6/19/18 12:56 PM

This is the article USAC linked on their Facebook page

nathans1012 6/19/18 1:35 PM

60 feet wide in the straightaways and 8 degree of banking in the corners. Reece O'Conner was contacted to help design and prepare the 1/4 mile track.
:32:

JarrettFarms73 6/19/18 1:39 PM

J Doug’s twitter says official details coming next tuesday. how cool!

chathamracefan 6/19/18 1:47 PM

If it is on Wednesday, hopefully a PPV is offered for those of us out of town. I'd do it on Wednesday but as mentioned above, the high holy of late model racing begins the next night at Eldora with the World 100. Not going, but I will be tuned in on PPV for all of that.

Maybe if this deal takes off they could incorporate it into the leadup to the Indy 500 as well.

Crankin 6/19/18 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chathamracefan (Post 496400)
If it is on Wednesday, hopefully a PPV is offered for those of us out of town. I'd do it on Wednesday but as mentioned above, the high holy of late model racing begins the next night at Eldora with the World 100.

If it’s to kickoff brickyard weekend, what would be the point of doing it Wednesday night. Not even nascar’s most faithful will be in town yet. Nothing happens on the big track until Friday.

brsteg 6/19/18 2:34 PM

One it gives them a clean up day. Sadly it would leave the NASCAR folks nothing to do Thursday as IRP doesn't start up till Friday. But I think it has much less to do with getting NASCAR folks to the dirt track but getting the local folks to the Speedway. A day break would not kill that momentum but wouldn't hurt either. How many folks are they potentially losing to the World if they run Thurs instead of Wed? Probably not a lot, but you can bet a a few.. and it's all revenue. I just think this is more about hype and revenue, and hoping the locals will stay for the weekend also.

But they'll be more folks at the World for 3 days than Indy for the 3 big track days.

btg1963 6/19/18 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brsteg (Post 496390)
I hope they end up on Wednesday instead of Thursday. Xfinity Practices Friday, maybe someone says hey we need a clean up day before running on the big track. I could go to a Wed. race; I'm out if it's Thursday... I know this is the Open Wheel Forum but the World 100 is the big dog that weekend at Eldora and they start racing Thursday.

There will probably be more fans at Eldora the night before than at the Brickyard....

btg1963 6/19/18 3:23 PM

Also, reading Robin Miller’s article, they are only erecting 5,000 seats. If this is the case, IMS has GROSSLY UNDERESTIMATED the interest this event has generated.

motorhead748 6/19/18 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleatziff (Post 496397)

This is the article USAC linked on their Facebook page

The article says the brickyard was moved to September to put it in the chase to hopefully stimulate some interest with the attendance plummeting. At least for me the silly "chase" is just another reason to lose interest in NASCAR.

BLASTER1 6/19/18 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brsteg (Post 496403)
One it gives them a clean up day. Sadly it would leave the NASCAR folks nothing to do Thursday as IRP doesn't start up till Friday. But I think it has much less to do with getting NASCAR folks to the dirt track but getting the local folks to the Speedway. A day break would not kill that momentum but wouldn't hurt either. How many folks are they potentially losing to the World if they run Thurs instead of Wed? Probably not a lot, but you can bet a a few.. and it's all revenue. I just think this is more about hype and revenue, and hoping the locals will stay for the weekend also.

But they'll be more folks at the World for 3 days than Indy for the 3 big track days.

I say this event is about the locals and to draw attention to the Track... Win Win for the track!

david mitchell 6/19/18 5:26 PM

How many Silver Crown cars will be at Salem in August.

Big Game Hunter 6/19/18 6:00 PM

They might get 12! That's pushing it! 😃😃😃

Big Game Hunter 6/19/18 6:24 PM

Are they running the Silver Crown cars on the 2.5 mile track at IMS during that week

BrentTFunk 6/19/18 7:46 PM

When will we be able to put blankets down?

Amzie 6/19/18 8:42 PM

Is it on the T-shirt?

MOORESVILLETRUCKER 6/20/18 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big game hunter (Post 496416)
they might get 12! That's pushing it! 😃😃😃

flagboy55 6/21/18 12:41 AM

My only comment would be, not enough bank, only 8 degees. I was not able to enjoy a race there, but I think they should make a replica of Little Springfield, by all accounts that was a bad a$$ race track!

brsteg 6/21/18 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btg1963 (Post 496410)
Also, reading Robin Miller’s article, they are only erecting 5,000 seats. If this is the case, IMS has GROSSLY UNDERESTIMATED the interest this event has generated.

I keep seeing the 5,000 number pop up. I don't know if they are going to be using the turn 3 seating in addition to what they are bringing in closer to the track, but they probably need closer to 10,000. Thoughts?

Points 6/21/18 12:16 PM

I sit in the turn three seats for the big race and they would be to far away. You got the big track, run off lane and spectator mounds in between. Depending on where the track is built they might be able to use the spectator mounds as a grassy hill on one side for lawn chair seating.

What I don't get is how this I going to help attendance for the nascar race. They cant get 50,000 for the cup race but getting 5000 people to this dirt race to stick around for the cup race seems a stretch. I would think if the race goes off well with Larson rico etc. running it would more likely turn some nascar fans on to open wheel racing.

Plus its stated as being a one shot deal. Why bother. Build it permanent for future specail events.

Charles Nungester 6/21/18 12:23 PM

I seen overhead of the track being built. It' being built near the turn three Infield Restroom. Way to far from the outside the track grandstand. IDK, 5000 is going to be iffy, however weeknight, No support class? Why not run Mods too and get Schrader and the others who would run them.

SMoke had a hit he just totally threw away when he got the truck race of having current driver come in and drive LM's It was hard for Eldora logistically to get them to the track and a place to stay etc. Indy, Most would already be there or could easily extend it a couple days.

BrentTFunk 6/21/18 4:24 PM

I don't think they will need a support class, in fact I think they may end up with more cars than they actually need. Eldora did not throw away the Prelude. He got the truck race instead. NASCAR and Eldora have both benefitted. It was a sound business decision.

Charles Nungester 6/21/18 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 496583)
I don't think they will need a support class, in fact I think they may end up with more cars than they actually need. Eldora did not throw away the Prelude. He got the truck race instead. NASCAR and Eldora have both benefitted. It was a sound business decision.

Powri has events on Fri and Sat that week. I don't see anymore than the Grand Prix drew, Which was a good show but we also had Sprints.

R.Drang 6/21/18 10:15 PM

It might not be the big race, but it's still Indianapolis. You'll have cars.

BrentTFunk 6/22/18 6:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 496597)
Powri has events on Fri and Sat that week. I don't see anymore than the Grand Prix drew, Which was a good show but we also had Sprints.

If you want to bet, I say we set the car count number at 39. I will take the over. Let me know if your interested in the under.

miledirt 6/22/18 7:21 AM

I sure hope it's Friday... Friday night USAC, would hang around Sat to watch Bell and Allgaier in Xfniity and head home

Sandy Lowe 6/22/18 7:35 AM

It won’t be Friday night (USAC sprints are racing at Gas City).

BrentTFunk 6/22/18 11:22 AM

Thursday midgets, Friday sprints at Gas City, and Saturday Silver Crown at IRP. Sounds good to me.

racefan20 6/22/18 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 496607)
If you want to bet, I say we set the car count number at 39. I will take the over. Let me know if your interested in the under.

I think you are pretty close on the car count if it had been a sprint show though I think the car count would be significantly higher. With a new track I hope they just run it as a standalone class.

Charles Nungester 6/22/18 12:09 PM

32 is the under. If it is as you say INDY and should be huge, It should be 50+ between USAC/Powri,

brsteg 6/22/18 6:53 PM

How many cars does Kunz bring is the question... I think it draws about like a Midget Week race.

Puppy 6/22/18 8:46 PM

https://racer.com/2018/06/22/racer-v...ims-dirt-oval/
IndyCar drivers on the dirt? We can only hope!

racefan20 6/22/18 10:05 PM

Here is video of Thomas Scheckter testing Brent Kaeding's winged sprint car 7 or 8 years ago. https://vimeo.com/26732013 kind of interesting. I've seen Scott Dixon several times spectating at Gas City. I could see an exhibition race with just them if you could find owners that would want to risk their cars.

hoosier race fan 6/22/18 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 496665)
I could see an exhibition race with just them if you could find owners that would want to risk their cars.

An IROC/Prelude to the Dream type of race with the Indycar and NASCAR stars would be cool. But do that race in open wheel modifieds with a midget or sprint race as the headliner. Modifieds would be a little safer for those drivers and might level the playing field.

Puppy 6/23/18 3:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 496665)
Here is video of Thomas Scheckter testing Brent Kaeding's winged sprint car 7 or 8 years ago. https://vimeo.com/26732013 kind of interesting. I've seen Scott Dixon several times spectating at Gas City. I could see an exhibition race with just them if you could find owners that would want to risk their cars.

I remember when this happened. I know Tomas was excited, does anyone know why he didn't pursue more?

BrentTFunk 6/23/18 8:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 496628)
I think you are pretty close on the car count if it had been a sprint show though I think the car count would be significantly higher. With a new track I hope they just run it as a standalone class.

I think it will be over 39. That is why I picked 39 as an over/under. I was hoping to cash in.

BrentTFunk 6/25/18 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 496631)
32 is the under. If it is as you say INDY and should be huge, It should be 50+ between USAC/Powri,

I don't think you understood what I meant by over/under. I set it at 39. If it is over 39 I win, if it is under 39 you win. I am confident it will be over 39. If you want to bet let me know. I stand behind what I said, or I wouldn't have said it. Doesn't have to be money.