IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best rumor ever (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=102286)

mc/rider 12/11/17 11:14 AM

Best rumor ever

ISW opener at IMS :32:

2140rc 12/11/17 11:24 AM

Re: Best rumor ever

The opening weekend already has Kokomo on Saturday and Lawrenceburg on Sunday.

Good rumor, though.

mc/rider 12/11/17 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2140rc (Post 486753)
The opening weekend already has Kokomo on Saturday and Lawrenceburg on Sunday.

Good rumor, though.

Friday July 20th

miledirt 12/11/17 12:28 PM

Build the track inside IMS?
If so, I'm in - and would make my first trip to Kokomo the next night!

Rpracing1 12/11/17 2:41 PM

I heard IOW was releasing SUPERDUKE from his lifetime ban.

interpreter66 12/11/17 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miledirt (Post 486758)
Build the track inside IMS?
If so, I'm in - and would make my first trip to Kokomo the next night!

Don't let that stop you from not going to Kokomo🏁🏁

btg1963 12/11/17 10:37 PM

How about Montpelier if Gas City can't go???

Stevensville Mike 12/11/17 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btg1963 (Post 486799)

Hell, I'd like to see Plymouth Speedway throw their hat in the ring for this one. Why are they not involved with ISW?

flagboy55 12/12/17 8:09 AM

I was just thinking the same thing Mike. I sure thought Plymouth would be involved in both ISW and IMW.

Stealth87 12/12/17 11:29 AM

I haven't been there. But I've heard Daugherty Speedway is trying to turn the place around and make the track known. How about an ISW show there to kick things off? Like I said, I've never been there. Just seen some video. Maybe not enough seating etc?

TKRacing 12/12/17 12:04 PM

Daugherty put on a pretty good ISW show back some years ago. I think even had an IMW date. Would be cool to see sprints back again.

kcarm92 12/12/17 12:38 PM

What's wrong with it being paragon speedway ,since Keith Ford was one of the original promotors that started ISW just putting it out there,

Scooter 12/12/17 12:51 PM

Plymouth would be a perfect venue.

addictedtodirt 12/12/17 12:54 PM

IMS would be a great place to kick off Sprint week and we are lucky to have the possibility of a new track.

Nate 12/12/17 4:07 PM

Quote:

Place is jam packed and parking space is at minimum for a normal USAC show. Cant imagine what it would be like for a ISW show.

brsteg 12/12/17 4:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate (Post 486831)
Place is jam packed and parking space is at minimum for a normal USAC show. Cant imagine what it would be like for a ISW show.

And I don't think the track has any of the locals support by the way it appeared last year at Midget Week. So camping and parking; I don't think the track could handle it.

Stevensville Mike 12/12/17 6:05 PM

On the topic of ISW..... someone brought this up when the schedule came out that USAC rolled ISW back a week and now it does not run parallel to the Doty Classic/King's Royal week/weekend. Liking winged cars or not, there is a high probability that the crowds for ISW will be larger. If seating is tight (i.e. Gas City) it could present a debacle. HOWEVER.... if seating is bountiful (i.e. Plymouth).... well....

We'll see how it plays out this Summer but if the crowds go up, I cannot see how Plymouth Speedway cannot get a strong look by USAC. Plus, it keeps the northern end of the state in the loop. Something USAC has been lacking over the years.

Rich Mersereau 12/12/17 7:20 PM

Mike for President. Great thoughts all around, would love to see Plymouth kick things off.

Dirtfan 12/12/17 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcarm92 (Post 486820)
What's wrong with it being paragon speedway ,since Keith Ford was one of the original promotors that started ISW just putting it out there,

Agreed Kenny!

Dirtfan 12/12/17 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKRacing (Post 486818)
Daugherty put on a pretty good ISW show back some years ago. I think even had an IMW date. Would be cool to see sprints back again.

I was at Daugherty for their ISW show,good attendance,good car count,so dusty though one couldn't see the cars coming outta turn 4,have no idea how the drivers could see.
I don't remember a Midget Week show there?

TKRacing 12/12/17 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtfan (Post 486850)
I was at Daugherty for their ISW show,good attendance,good car count,so dusty though one couldn't see the cars coming outta turn 4,have no idea how the drivers could see.
I don't remember a Midget Week show there?

Dan,
There might not have been, but I thought there was. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong haha

treecitytornado 12/12/17 10:18 PM

Sprint Week raced a Daughtery/Kamp several years ago. Fun place to race a Sprint Car!

stockracer 12/12/17 10:58 PM

Plymouth isn't ideal by any means ..surface is a mess...and there was a midget week race at Kamp...Tony Barhorst(from FTW Rumble) was promoter, had a dragon car eater there for intermission entertainment....same as sprint week, great race.

hoosier race fan 12/12/17 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stockracer (Post 486856)
Plymouth isn't ideal by any means ..surface is a mess...

I thought it was a huge mistake to leave the pavement under the dirt. Mansfield did the right thing and ripped up the pavement when they transitioned to dirt. Plymouth has a very nice facility, but the track surface does seem to present some challenges. I’ve seen it when it’s really good, and when it was awful. On the nights it was really good, it took quite a while to get it there.

Chris Nunn 12/13/17 12:10 AM

I know a track in Jennings county....

racinrich 12/13/17 2:31 AM

I've seen many great ISW races at that track in Jennings county. It would be a fine choice.

Jerry Spencer 12/13/17 9:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosier race fan (Post 486858)
I thought it was a huge mistake to leave the pavement under the dirt. Mansfield did the right thing and ripped up the pavement when they transitioned to dirt. Plymouth has a very nice facility, but the track surface does seem to present some challenges. I’ve seen it when it’s really good, and when it was awful. On the nights it was really good, it took quite a while to get it there.

Plymouth isn't perfect but it is cool that they added open wheel cars on occasion, we enjoyed running there and would have loved running there or Mountpellior weekly. Having another track in the other direction of 465 as time wise when working its hard to go south. I will admit when we first looked at the track with cement uncovered we were not sure but it proved to not really be a problem

Jerry

Jerry

Stevensville Mike 12/13/17 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau (Post 486841)
Mike for President. Great thoughts all around, would love to see Plymouth kick things off.

Thanks for the nomination, Rich, but I wouldn't make a good candidate. There are not enough skeletons in my closet for the press to run with. They'd have to report facts, and no one wants boring news to read on their phone while driving.

But back on THIS topic: In all actuality, I am hoping for Plymouth to get another so there is another race close to home for me (and you).

Here is a question, though: Has any track run two ISW races in the same year? I know this has happened during Ohio Sprint Speedweek w/ the All Stars before.

Sandy Lowe 12/13/17 12:17 PM

Lawrenceburg had back-to-back Sprint Week races about 10 years ago.

7/11/07 - Jon Stanbrough
7/12/07 - Dave Darland
7/9/08 - Jeff Bland, Jr.
7/10/08 - Brady Short

Gas City also held back-to-back races in 2007 after the Dave Allison “incident”

7/13/07 - Daron Clayton
7/14/07 - Jon Stanbrough

oppweld 12/13/17 12:27 PM

I think if Gas City is a no go reward Kokomo with a two day show to kick off ISW. They deserve a payback to recoup from the financial bath they took by rescheduling the Gas City race last year!

btg1963 12/13/17 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oppweld (Post 486886)
I think if Gas City is a no go reward Kokomo with a two day show to kick off ISW. They deserve a payback to recoup from the financial bath they took by rescheduling the Gas City race last year!

I thought this would be the obvious forum choice when this thread began. I only mentioned Montpelier in my earlier post for the hope to include additional venues throughout the state. I would LOVE to see Paragon, Brownstown, Plymouth, Daughtery, North Vernon, and or any other Indiana track out there I missed in the mix for the date. Let's not forget this date is more than likely Gas City's date to lose. I wish nothing but the best for a new promoter at Gas City!

BrentTFunk 12/14/17 5:55 PM

While I think everyone has good ideas, if I was one of the Sprintweek promoters there would be several things I would consider. Number one does this track work with us or against us. When Kokomo moved their weekly show to Saturday night, they lost their SprintWeek show. I understand that. When SprintWeek started all tracks charged the same and ran one other class. Tracks worked together. When Paragon was dropped they changed admission price, and added extra classes. This has been done at MidgetWeek the last couple of years. It started at $20 and it was only sprints. I wish they would go back to that.
Another thing I would look at is will this track be good for first time fans? Last year for the first time every Indianapolis TV channel talked about SprintWeek on the evening news. Will the new track add to it or chase coverage away? Everyone wants sponsor and purses to grow and this is how it happens.
I like every track that has been mentioned, but if they cannot excede Gas City there is no reason to switch. Lets hope the tracks in Indiana work with each other. Look at last fall in Pennsylvania, every track benefited by working together. I plan on hitting them all. Turned in time off today.

revjimk 12/14/17 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 486956)
While I think everyone has good ideas, if I was one of the Sprintweek promoters there would be several things I would consider. Number one does this track work with us or against us. When Kokomo moved their weekly show to Saturday night, they lost their SprintWeek show. I understand that. When SprintWeek started all tracks charged the same and ran one other class. Tracks worked together. When Pargon was dropped they changed admission price, and added extra classes. This has been done at MidgetWeek the last couple of years. It started at $20 and it was only sprints. I wish they would go back to that.
Another thing I would look at is will this track be good for first time fans? Last year for the first time every Indianapolis TV channel talked about SprintWeek on the evening news. Will the new track add to it or chase coverage away? Everyone wants sponsor and purses to grow and this is how it happens.
I like every track that has been mentioned, but if they cannot excede Gas City there is no reason to switch. Lets hope the tracks in Indiana work with each other. Look at last fall in Pennsylvania, every track benefited by working together. I plan on hitting them all. Turned in time off today.

Alright! Hope to see ya at Eastern Storm!

BrentTFunk 12/14/17 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 486957)
Alright! Hope to see ya at Eastern Storm!

Sorry no PA this year. Will you be in Indiana any?