IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Larson is coming back to the Chili Bowl Thursday in the #98K (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=124936)

nathans1012 1/9/24 6:22 PM

Larson is coming back to the Chili Bowl Thursday in the #98K

From the Chili Bowl Nationals Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/ChiliBowlNationals

𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗡𝗘𝗪𝗦: 𝗟𝗔𝗥𝗦𝗢𝗡 𝗧𝗢 𝗖𝗛𝗜𝗟𝗜 𝗕𝗢𝗪𝗟!
2-time #ChiliBowl champion @kylelarsonracin is coming back to the Chili Bowl this week.
He’ll fly to Tulsa for Thursday’s preliminary & reunite with Keith Kunz Motorsports in the DH Horton, @floracing , @hendrickcars No. 98K!

Charles Nungester 1/9/24 7:27 PM

Re: Larson is coming back to the Chili Bowl Thursday in the

If he doesn't lock in top two. he's probably going back to Vado for Sat.

BLASTER1 1/9/24 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 571490)
If he doesn't lock in top two. he's probably going back to Vado for Sat.

Larson will attempt to lock into his 11th career Saturday night A-main at the Chili Bowl via a top-two finish in Thursday’s preliminary program. If he is able to do so, he’ll perform a unique version of “The Double” on Saturday. Other words run both races…..

The A main in Tulsa usually starts around Midnight…..

mc/rider 1/9/24 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLASTER1 (Post 571491)
Larson will attempt to lock into his 11th career Saturday night A-main at the Chili Bowl via a top-two finish in Thursday’s preliminary program. If he is able to do so, he’ll perform a unique version of “The Double” on Saturday. Other words run both races…..

The A main in Tulsa usually starts around Midnight…..

Indy prep

Charles Nungester 1/9/24 8:47 PM

Kunz said that He's definately doing Vado Sat but if Kyle Locks in. He'll try. Said at worst. B Main at Tulsa. There's not enough time otherwise. Don't know what weather is supposed to be.

BLASTER1 1/9/24 10:10 PM

More…

https://t.co/l5qEqkwlsb

Pitdad 1/10/24 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 571493)
Kunz said that He's definately doing Vado Sat but if Kyle Locks in. He'll try. Said at worst. B Main at Tulsa. There's not enough time otherwise. Don't know what weather is supposed to be.

It will be dry and about 60 degrees.

azsprintfan1 1/10/24 1:27 PM

Wonder if he will be flying on Hendricks private jet?

revjimk 1/11/24 1:01 AM

You know what would be cool?
If Chris Bell took up the challenge & jumped in too....:23:
I haven't been overly thrilled yet...

Charles Nungester 1/11/24 12:29 PM

Think Bells on the short leash as far as non Nascar stuff. Might see him in some short track Late Model or something but Gibbs don't like it. Think might be part of reason Kyle Busch Left.

Hubie48 1/11/24 1:30 PM

I didn't pay real close attention several months ago but didn't Larson and someothers decide the purse wasn't large enough to mess with?

Either way, it's cool Kyle is going to race. He is a special talent.

That being said, I also believe Buddy Kofoid is great. Like really, really great.

Pitdad 1/11/24 2:03 PM

Just because this board seems to like to run down rabbit holes from time to time AND just because this is still a bit of "the silly season", let me pose this conspiracy theory...

Is the Larson announcement purely organic and spur of the moment as everyone would have us think? Or, is it a bit of a media stunt to draw attention to Kyle, and The Chili Bowl, and to whatever the fender thing is that's happening in New Mexico?

Here's my crazy theory: Keith Kunz has done about everything imaginable at the Chili Bowl. Multiple wins with multiple drivers, KKM cars have dominated the leaderboard in the post-Swindell era. The one thing that I can't say the KKM has accomplished was a qualifying night sweep, winning all of the qualifying night A features. They've come close, but I suspect that a clean sweep is still on the "to do list". As such, KKM has seemingly been careful to spread their talent across all qualifying nights, increasing their potential to sweep the card rather than leave a night open AND not have two or more of their premier talents battling each other for win and a Saturday night lock in.

That said, according to tonight's schedule, the only KKM car that was expected to run prior to Larson's surprise announcement was Gavan Boschele. Not that Gavan was incapable of winning tonight on his own, he certainly has shown speed in the past, but it seems curious that Keith would put all of his Thursday night eggs in one basket when you consider he had 11 other cars to spread out over the other 4 qualifying nights. Did he leave Thursday open for Kyle, and just wait to announce it? If so, kudos to him, the Chili Bowl, Kyle, and everyone involved. It certainly has added an extra element of excitement to the greatest midget race in the world.

I'm just saying...

The Old Coyote 1/11/24 2:11 PM

It seems to me the drivers get to choose what preliminary night they run. Is that so?

Midget98 1/11/24 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Coyote (Post 571526)
It seems to me the drivers get to choose what preliminary night they run. Is that so?

Not really, but it has a lot to do with what team you are running with or who you are. It's supposed to be a random draw, but they try to spread the larger teams out across different nights so they are better able to manage their resources as well as spread out the "headline" talent. Even with less well known teams or drivers though, if you come with three cars and all get placed on a single night, they will work with you if you want to split your cars up to run different nights.

Charles Nungester 1/11/24 4:04 PM

yes larson said the purse wasn't big enough. So they doubled it this year. Plus there has always been some lap money as well last few years.

BLASTER1 1/11/24 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitdad (Post 571525)
Just because this board seems to like to run down rabbit holes from time to time AND just because this is still a bit of "the silly season", let me pose this conspiracy theory...

Is the Larson announcement purely organic and spur of the moment as everyone would have us think? Or, is it a bit of a media stunt to draw attention to Kyle, and The Chili Bowl, and to whatever the fender thing is that's happening in New Mexico?

Here's my crazy theory: Keith Kunz has done about everything imaginable at the Chili Bowl. Multiple wins with multiple drivers, KKM cars have dominated the leaderboard in the post-Swindell era. The one thing that I can't say the KKM has accomplished was a qualifying night sweep, winning all of the qualifying night A features. They've come close, but I suspect that a clean sweep is still on the "to do list". As such, KKM has seemingly been careful to spread their talent across all qualifying nights, increasing their potential to sweep the card rather than leave a night open AND not have two or more of their premier talents battling each other for win and a Saturday night lock in.

That said, according to tonight's schedule, the only KKM car that was expected to run prior to Larson's surprise announcement was Gavan Boschele. Not that Gavan was incapable of winning tonight on his own, he certainly has shown speed in the past, but it seems curious that Keith would put all of his Thursday night eggs in one basket when you consider he had 11 other cars to spread out over the other 4 qualifying nights. Did he leave Thursday open for Kyle, and just wait to announce it? If so, kudos to him, the Chili Bowl, Kyle, and everyone involved. It certainly has added an extra element of excitement to the greatest midget race in the world.

I'm just saying...

Kyle has NEVER been a look at me type guy…. Go ahead and land the Black Helicopters SMH 🤦

BTW… Keith and Pete don’t roll like that also!

Pitdad 1/11/24 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLASTER1 (Post 571532)
Kyle has NEVER been a look at me type guy…. Go ahead and land the Black Helicopters SMH 🤦

My tongue was pretty firmly in my cheek when I wrote it, but if 5th to 5th puts you in a Qualifier, I may have to revisit the topic…

BLASTER1 1/11/24 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitdad (Post 571533)
My tongue was pretty firmly in my cheek when I wrote it, but if 5th to 5th puts you in a Qualifier, I may have to revisit the topic…

Of course it was T&C after the Larson heat race

How you like your Crow?

Pitdad 1/11/24 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLASTER1 (Post 571535)
Of course it was T&C after the Larson heat race

How you like your Crow?

Not sure why I’m eating crow, but it was delicious. And if Kyle manages to lock in, then fans will get to witness the greatest night of racing, possibly of all time.

jdull99 1/12/24 2:39 AM

Hope he comes back Saturday (somehow...if the LM race gets done in time...)

motorhead748 1/12/24 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLASTER1 (Post 571532)

So starting your own series and run it on midweek dates so you can attend and the following year when that series expands to the weekends keep track of the weekday races points so you can have a championship within a championship isn’t a look at me thing?
I’m not bashing KL in the least and he is without a doubt one of the greatest talents ever but things change.

BLASTER1 1/12/24 7:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead748 (Post 571545)
So starting your own series and run it on midweek dates so you can attend and the following year when that series expands to the weekends keep track of the weekday races points so you can have a championship within a championship isn’t a look at me thing?
I’m not bashing KL in the least and he is without a doubt one of the greatest talents ever but things change.

NO….but I am sure if you look hard enough you can Bad in anyone!

Most look for the positive in Him in ownership in a series…..

nodramazone20 1/12/24 9:48 AM

Has anyone in the media thought to ask Larson how he and the 57 team plans on running enough races to get a charter??.....Or are we to just assume the 57 will operate under different set of standards?....Sounds like a legitimate question to ask??.....If it has been asked, I am not aware of the answer.

Charles Nungester 1/12/24 11:27 AM

putting someone else in the car for the other races would get the car a charter I think. But not sure his crew chief wants to run sixty times or more.

Kinser11 1/12/24 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 571552)
putting someone else in the car for the other races would get the car a charter I think. But not sure his crew chief wants to run sixty times or more.

What driver would want to be in the 57 car, and set when Kyle is in it. Any driver good enough to make a respectable showing has a full time ride.

Midget98 1/12/24 1:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodramazone20 (Post 571549)
Has anyone in the media thought to ask Larson how he and the 57 team plans on running enough races to get a charter??.....Or are we to just assume the 57 will operate under different set of standards?....Sounds like a legitimate question to ask??.....If it has been asked, I am not aware of the answer.

Have you ever thought that he doesn't really care about the charter system for himself? These charters aren't like F1 where you have to have one in order to enter a car in a series event. The charter system is just a way of rewarding teams that make the series a success through consistent participation. Also, Larson doesn't really need the share of media money that goes to the charter teams. I imagine he'll show up and race when he can and be just as successful as he has already shown he can be.

nodramazone20 1/12/24 2:17 PM

Yes, I did think about that, but he is not the car owner or at least not the sole owner. I am well aware of how this charter works, its a fair question.

Charles Nungester 1/12/24 4:32 PM

There's a lot of good drivers that would go after these 10-15k races twice a week I bet. Although they race Knox, PA or NARC. Golobic, Kaeding several others. There are also two 57s