IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why end the season out west (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=100413)

david mitchell 8/11/17 11:24 PM

Why end the season out west

Why is it that usac continues to end the season and take the championship to the west coast.i have talked to many fans who support the series all year who find this incredible and have thought this for a long time.sort of like the nfl having the season here and then the super bowl in europe.if perris wants usac tell them to find dates in early october and finish the season here with say a terre haute,kokomo two race final.i don't honestly see how any race fan around here cannot believe this is honestly the best way to have it.i am sure there will be though.lets here opinions.

Fred Zirzow 8/12/17 1:05 AM

When you have fans all over the country does it really matter where the final is? That would be like saying why start the season in Florida why not start in Indiana and race Florida in late April early may.

Charles Nungester 8/12/17 1:27 AM

Re: Why end the season out west

No law on not starting your own series and running it how you see fit.

tdt636 8/12/17 2:01 AM

i figured since you seem to be the weatherman you would know its kinda cold and sometimes snowy in Indiana in November. Not ideal racing weather

Kydehart 8/12/17 2:39 AM

I've always assumed it to be a weather thing. Start the season in Florida where it's hopefully nice and end it out west where it's hopefully nice. We're spoiled here to be within a couple hours driving for most of the races. I'm not upset I have to watch highlights or read updates about who wins the season championship. It's a national series encompassing the nation. And the oval nationals are a huge event. glad Perris puts them on. Just out of curiosity and to keep your discussion going, what is it that you feel is wrong with it being out west? Do you feel like we're getting cheated on the Midwest because we have the biggest fan base? In that same vein, do you feel like we have more of a right to crown the national champ here in the Midwest? Just wondering your thoughts. I don't care where the season starts or ends as long as there is a season.

jdull99 8/12/17 2:46 AM

Global warming is making it worse...lol (jk...It's currently 62deg in August in IL...). But srsly, I do wonder the same about IRL...they should have their championship race on the road coarse @ IMS, but on the same wknd NASCAR is gona be there next year (September). Whichever one would be easier to run the roadcoarse 1st day or 2nd day...one of them would have to go against the NFL...is what it is...be cool to decide the IRL champ & Cup "playoff" contenders the same wknd...(& then skip the May IRL race on the roadcoarse...)

BrentTFunk 8/12/17 8:10 AM

It is probably because it is a NATIONAL series and when it gets cold here, it is warm there. I have been there twice, and it was a great experience. I can not afford to go every year, but hope to do it again.

yeleyfan76 8/12/17 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 479891)
Why is it that usac continues to end the season and take the championship to the west coast.i have talked to many fans who support the series all year who find this incredible and have thought this for a long time.sort of like the nfl having the season here and then the super bowl in europe.if perris wants usac tell them to find dates in early october and finish the season here with say a terre haute,kokomo two race final.i don't honestly see how any race fan around here cannot believe this is honestly the best way to have it.i am sure there will be though.lets here opinions.

When reading this narrative I'm trying to decide what degree of stupid we are dealing with. To complain about the last race of a national series being run in California as being wrong makes zero
sense. To suggest a two race wknd in Indiana having to be the way to finish makes even less sense. The USAC season for all intents and purposes is basically regional with a week in Pa, a wknd in Fla,Az,and Ca every year, with one or two other dates that vary. So the whole National term is a little bit of a stretch. To complain about them not finishing in Indiana in mid to late October is hilarious. Over the course of the last 20 years of coming to Indiana 5-6 times per year I have realized that support for early and late season races is weak at best by the local fan base. I have seen it and have read about the light turnouts many times. Heck, most of the spoiled fan base sat home from Gas City for the ISW make up in July. All of the excuses were laughable. Where I live we open the last Saturday in Feb. Lincoln is usually packed even if it's 35 degrees out. This would not happen in Indiana. We also run into October with a couple of tracks into November. Furthermore I'm sure Don Kazarian would love for you to explain to him why he should change the dates of his high dollar race to appease your feelings. Btw other than Smackdown, the September race in Haubstadt, and Lawrenceburg when do they run for big money??? The Indiana fan base has everything it could want, yet I read this post and wonder if you realize how lucky you really are. I'm sure many of you do get it and are greatful for what you have, but when I read something like this I wonder how many really do. As Mr. Nungester said there are no laws
about how to make a schedule. Maybe he should have said good common sense is the best way to make a schedule. Smackdown is almost here and the truck is ready for the 10 hour ride. Let's hope all of the local fans support it EVERY nite so we can continue to enjoy events like this.

PJ Wright 8/12/17 1:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 (Post 479925)
When reading this narrative I'm trying to decide what degree of stupid we are dealing with.

You won't have to read too many of his posts to figure it out,

david mitchell 8/12/17 1:24 PM

The fanbase of major league baseball is in the u.s. Lets have the world series in japan.its ok though because it is big in japan.you guys seem to have answers to everything.same thing with indycar.fan base and most circuits are around here.where do they finish.california.absolutely incredible.

david mitchell 8/12/17 1:28 PM

Lets have the world series in japan.baseball is pretty big there. Indycar does same thing.most tracks around here,but where do they finish.absolutely incredible.

ThePurple73 8/12/17 1:33 PM

Also it is part tradition. For years the Pacific Coast Race, Manzanita, and Turkey Night were always the chance for Midwesterners to go out west and race after the seasons were normally over.
It is still that way now. Some of the race names have changed but same concept.

yeleyfan76 8/12/17 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 479930)
Lets have the world series in japan.baseball is pretty big there. Indycar does same thing.most tracks around here,but where do they finish.absolutely incredible.

Now I get why people say you are stupid. MLB games and fan base all in the US yet they call the championship the WORLD Series. Yeah that makes sense. Wake up son.

Baylands 8/12/17 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 479929)
The fanbase of major league baseball is in the u.s. Lets have the world series in japan.its ok though because it is big in japan.you guys seem to have answers to everything.same thing with indycar.fan base and most circuits are around here.where do they finish.california.absolutely incredible.

So David, no need to impune your intelligence like some have done, this isn't Hoseheads. You asked a reasonable question, and received reasonable answers. However instead of acknowledging those who replied with good answers, you compare fair weather racing November in California to flying to Japan. I spent time in Tokyo during the winter. It, like Indiana is usually quite cold. I assume you live in Indiana. If not, Google the average evening temperature in November, or just remember how cold it usually is if you live there. As others have mentioned, it is a National series, and the fan base at the end of the year is always great for the California and Arizona Events.

In summary, it's a reasonable and well worn question, but maybe the folks who work at USAC day and day out making their living on its' survival have a pretty good historical record of how successful it is to end where the weather is great, instead of cutting the season off early in the Midwest as most regional series do.

i live in Northern California and only get to run non wing 410 during California Speedweek and at the end of the year we take time to go South. I would recommend you save up your vacation as I bet you wouldn't have a hard time convincing Mrs. Mitchell to fly out to Los Angeles for a week in November. Disneyland, the beach, the Oval Nationals, terrible traffic. We have it all. You're a good man, turn it into a positive thing in your life.

captrat 8/12/17 3:27 PM

While I am not in agreement with Mr.
Mitchell I find the tone of your comment at best counterproductive and not in the spirit of this forum. There is another forum available to you which would more suit this kind invective.

david mitchell 8/12/17 3:39 PM

Weather here at salem is good.only fifteen or so cars.wish we could have more,but i forget there are many reasons why we can't.all valid and well thought out.😆😆😆

david mitchell 8/12/17 3:44 PM

Oh yes,i forgot,lets run the usac cra series all season ,then bring it back here for its conclusion.😏😏😏makes a lot of sense to me😝😝😝😝.i would have thought by listening to me about weather,you would know that there can be nice days in the state of indiana in october.🙀🙀🙀🙀

Baylands 8/12/17 4:13 PM

Enjoy Salem weather, I think the rebuilding of all the Asphalt series should be on USAC's priority list. We had Kody S in our dirt sprint car out here in the West Coast. He won. Great guy, family, driver.

david mitchell 8/12/17 4:18 PM

Bayllands is correct,lets rebuild the series.but we can't,there is no way according to the fans around here.many reasons why it cant be done,not many on how to do it.

Baylands 8/12/17 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captrat (Post 479939)
While I am not in agreement with Mr.
Mitchell I find the tone of your comment at best counterproductive and not in the spirit of this forum. There is another forum available to you which would more suit this kind invective.

I had to look up invective, I like that word!

Baylands 8/12/17 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 479946)
Bayllands is correct,lets rebuild the series.but we can't,there is no way according to the fans around here.many reasons why it cant be done,not many on how to do it.

It will be hard to do for sure. I am optimistic. I'm partial because I have two complete Beast sprints under plastic and fight the urge to put wings on them. Probably will. We run dirt 360/410 occasionally in the meantime. It's great, but I like the asphalt too.

Jonr 8/12/17 4:59 PM

I am still confused about the Japan reference. Does he realize that California is actually in the US? I am also confused on why anyone would be upset that their series would travel to one of the top-10 (maybe top 5 tracks) in the nation for a race. If you have not been to PAS, it should be on everybody's bucket list.

david mitchell 8/12/17 5:15 PM

I have been to perris many times.if you don't understand my baseball reference forget it.😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

Baylands 8/12/17 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonr (Post 479949)
I am still confused about the Japan reference. Does he realize that California is actually in the US? I am also confused on why anyone would be upset that their series would travel to one of the top-10 (maybe top 5 tracks) in the nation for a race. If you have not been to PAS, it should be on everybody's bucket list.

Perris is a good track. Many know that Bubby Jones was instrumental in the design. They were looking to be very much like Ascot's layout. Standing inside turn 3, it reminds you.

yeleyfan76 8/12/17 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 479950)
I have been to perris many times.if you don't understand my baseball reference forget it.😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

That's the problem. Explain the reference. It makes no sense this is why people are confused. More to the point, explain how any of your original post makes sense. Hope I'm not being invective.

david mitchell 8/12/17 6:20 PM

For yeley fan.imagine if the nfl had their season here in the good old usa,but then held the playoffs and super bowl in europe.can you say enraging your fan base.do you think they would understand.you need to have your important events if you are a sanctioning body around your main fan base.usac sprint car main fan base is around indiana,illinois ,ohio, and midwest.not cali.i can't make it more simple than that.😫

B99 8/12/17 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 479950)

I didn't realize the short bus went that far out west..............

yeleyfan76 8/12/17 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 479957)
For yeley fan.imagine if the nfl had their season here in the good old usa,but then held the playoffs and super bowl in europe.can you say enraging your fan base.do you think they would understand.you need to have your important events if you are a sanctioning body around your main fan base.usac sprint car main fan base is around indiana,illinois ,ohio, and midwest.not cali.i can't make it more simple than that.😫

Ok. So now you are saying your national series really is only regional and needs to be run in your little circle of comfort. I get it. If we are to see USAC run races we need to come to the Midwest and that's it. Got it. You live in a bubble.