IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Midget Square Tail Tank (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=65387)

DonMoore10 12/30/12 2:17 PM

Midget Square Tail Tank

The square midget tail tank showed up at Fort Wayne this weekend. It was rumored that the owner of the car was verbally defending it as USAC legal. Here it is straight from the USAC 2012 technical rule book:

Car Construction / Body

F. Only standard type Midget Car bodies, tail tanks and hoods will be permitted.. :13:

Wayne Davis 12/30/12 2:21 PM

Re: Midget Square Tail Tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by donmoore10 (Post 313710)
the square midget tail tank showed up at fort wayne this weekend. It was rumored that the owner of the car was verbally defending it as usac legal. Here it is straight from the usac 2012 technical rule book:

Car construction / body

f. Only standard type midget car bodies, tail tanks and hoods will be permitted.. :13:

hope they threw him out...wait guess they could have given him a chose ...replace it or go home:8:

DonMoore10 12/30/12 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Outlaw (Post 313711)
hope they threw him out...wait guess they could have given him a chose ...replace it or go home:8:

You have got to be kidding. That guy is king of the "free passes".

treecitytornado 12/30/12 2:30 PM

Was it just Tony or Fedorcak's car too?

Posted via Mobile Device

DonMoore10 12/30/12 2:33 PM

It was the "Our Gang Comedy" car. Apparently the crowd was not too happy with the whole package. There was loud applause and cheering last night when the car left the arena on a fork lift.

Midget 89 12/30/12 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMoore10 (Post 313714)
It was the "Our Gang Comedy" car. Apparently the crowd was not too happy with the whole package. There was loud applause and cheering last night when the car left the arena on a fork lift.

What car number?

hairracer44 12/30/12 2:45 PM

Not a fan of the square tail tank myself but it wasn't a USAC event and if the Rumble promoters want to let them run square tank that is their decision. I'm sure there a few cars at Ft. Wayne that wouldn't fit USAC rules. Be thankful there is some open wheel racing in December when there is a foot or more snow on the ground in parts of Indiana. Wish they would run DuQuion more than once in the winter time.

Andrew S. Quinn 12/30/12 2:46 PM

Is the Rumble a USAC sanctioned event?

Buster51 12/30/12 2:58 PM

Wow who cares,its indoor race don't recall it being a sanctioned race. It was good racing, I always like to see the old vw's come out that the big money guys drove to the barn.

Posted via Mobile Device

racefan20 12/30/12 3:07 PM

Not to be defending him/her(I wasnt there so I dont know who the driver was) but doesnt that rule leave ALOT to interpretation?

DonMoore10 12/30/12 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 313724)
Not to be defending him/her(I wasnt there so I dont know who the driver was) but doesnt that rule leave ALOT to interpretation?

Have you seen a square tali tank in USAC competition? IF not then it's not standard. End of story.

Andrew S. Quinn 12/30/12 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMoore10 (Post 313727)
Have you seen a square tali tank in USAC competition? IF not then it's not standard. End of story.

Again,is the Rumble a USAC sanctioned race???

DonMoore10 12/30/12 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairracer44 (Post 313717)
Not a fan of the square tail tank myself but it wasn't a USAC event and if the Rumble promoters want to let them run square tank that is their decision. I'm sure there a few cars at Ft. Wayne that wouldn't fit USAC rules.

From the Rumble Series rule book:

Tech will be per the USAC 2011 (2012 also per entry blank) national midget rule book except differences listed here.

Andrew S. Quinn 12/30/12 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMoore10 (Post 313729)
From the Rumble Series rule book:

Tech will be per the USAC 2011 (2012 also per entry blank) national midget rule book except differences listed here.

Also from the Rumble Series Rule book:

Note: Special
Event status, officials reserve the right to adjust specs. For tech clarification consult Tony Barhorst by e-mail at tbracefest@aol.com,
or call 317-418-3216.

The conversation probably went like this: Tony Stewart...Hey Tony can I put a square tail tank on the Munchkin this year?? "The guy in Ohio that owns midgets that always complains" bitched about my car a couple years ago,and I like to stir him up. Thats a fair tradeoff for letting you use my name to draw the fans isnt it?

Tony Barhorst.... Sure thing Tony,,,,and thanks for letting me use your name for our advertising. It helps draw fans here.

Tony Stewart....Thanks for that Tony. I like to stir "The guy in Ohio that owns midgets that always complains" up,and I know by putting that tailtank on this old car will really get him going. It should really set "The guy in Ohio that owns midgets that always complains" off,and that will help with any blood circulation problems he might be having.

utex28 12/30/12 3:41 PM

Who's car was this?

Posted via Mobile Device

richie 12/30/12 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 313724)

It was Tony Stewart's car with the square tail tank.

John Ivy had an interesting looking mini-sprint as well with the square tail-tank.

DonMoore10 12/30/12 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn (Post 313730)
Also from the Rumble Series Rule book:

Note: Special
Event status, officials reserve the right to adjust specs. For tech clarification consult Tony Barhorst by e-mail at tbracefest@aol.com,
or call 317-418-3216.

The conversation probably went like this: Tony Stewart...Hey Tony can I put a square tail tank on the Munchkin this year?? Don Moore bitched about my car a couple years ago,and I like to stir him up. Thats a fair tradeoff

The fans voted when the car went off the track on the fork lift. End of story. Please don't write your fantasies on a public message board using my name. Thx.

steve004 12/30/12 4:19 PM

Andrew is probably right except for the fact that Tony has real things to do that worry about DonMoore vaguely whining about something, AGAIN. What does it matter to you? I would think Ivy's car would have been more of an issue for you. I also don't see how the fans cheering was about a tail tank. But, that is your reality so get worked up about it while we all laugh at you.

scott bradley1x 12/30/12 4:24 PM

I love IOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

Andrew S. Quinn 12/30/12 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMoore10 (Post 313734)
The fans voted when the car went off the track on the fork lift. End of story. Please don't write your fantasies on a public message board using my name. Thx.

I changed it for you Don! Happy New Year!!

Did the fans know they were voting??

Blitzman 12/30/12 4:26 PM

I guess nuttin much has changed around here. D. Moore bitchn bout something. Wasnt even there this weekend. But I would guess the reason why people were cheern for Stewart breaking had nuttin to do with a square tail tank. Just a thought.
Hey Moore, you going to Tulsa & ***** about the square tanks racin @ the Chili Bowl also.. & dont give me the answere that its not a USAC event either.. I've came to this board about 5 times a year. 4 of those times I see a post that your bitchn about a rule or something. :11;

DonMoore10 12/30/12 4:40 PM

NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT

The official DON MOORE SQUARE MIDGET TAIL TANK is now available. All colors and sizes.

Moore Racing Enterprises LLC
LaGrange, OH
Square Tail Tank Production Shop 440-355-4407
Order by cell: 440-915-2331
Order Online: www.clickdonmoore.com

Pat O'Connor Fan 12/30/12 5:29 PM

Someone in this thread must be a military guy, 'cause a standard comment I heard 16 trillion :14: times while in the USAF was, "he ain't happy unless he is bitchin' about something"

TQ29m 12/30/12 5:53 PM

Have you ever noticed, seems like the "special" races, Chilli Bowl, indoor races, don't follow the "traditional" rules, and again, logic has nothing to do with it, and it is a "promoters" choice, or option, to allow, or disallow whatever, within reason, he wants to, if it said as so many do, in the "rule" book, "must maintain a traditional" midget appearance, then the "T-Roadster" tail would probably not be allowed, but evidently it doesn't, or the person putting on the show doesn't feel it is a point to discuss, so it happens, most folks realize that the "special" races, lean toward the "outlaw" side a bit, and it is a chance to get your "fix", so I don't see it as a "big" deal, maybe it's lighter, maybe it's easier to protect, and I'm sure it's less expensive, so surely a couple of times a year, it doesn't require all this ink, and hate! Bob

Jerry Shaw 12/30/12 5:57 PM

As long as make them weigh in at the end of a race they do well in, it doesn't matter whether the tank is prism, pyramid, sphere, cube, etc. shaped.

Jerry

Joe Kidd 12/30/12 6:09 PM

Screw USAC, Outlaws and whatever series it is. Bring back the RWYB series.

Todd Kimmel 12/30/12 6:10 PM

Im not sure I understand why your griping? That tail tank didn't make him faster.... someone said you were calling it an aero advantage? Explain to me how this is an aero advantage indoors or a tiny track? And if that's not why you are griping then why?

Todd Kimmel

Posted via Mobile Device

RoS&S 12/30/12 6:36 PM

A whole lot to be taken for granted. The racing may have been good. But lets me honest here, it's not the Chili Bowl and it's not USAC. Honestly the square tank looks like crap and I don't care who was running it. And yes I am aware of who was running them. They look like crap and obviously the don't help the car for crap either because it didn't finish either night, so it doesn't really matter for crap.

LEADERS EDGE 12/30/12 7:48 PM

The reason for a square tank is to place the weight over the rear and within the spring base to lessen the effect of fuel burn off verses handling. The same thing can basically be achieved with a regular style tank with foam inside of it or go old school and run a tank under a standard looking fiberglass shell. Actually it is an excellent idea and pretty effective. I don't see how it could in any way help aero dynamics with all of the things shielding it from the oncoming air unless it stuck above or beyond the confines behind the cockpit. Er....I mean that's dumb and it sucks and Sammy and Tony have ruined it for everyone etc...etc...etc...

racefan20 12/30/12 8:31 PM

Don I have a hard time believing you are so gullible. Its the same deal as Sammy at the Chili Bowl. They put that on there to grab your attention and then you dont see the real trick. Its kinda like this :39: :20: :15:

addictedtodirt 12/30/12 8:39 PM

Don had a beautiful black 10 at the Rumble. His driver did a good job. Brought it home in one piece. And finished higher than the squared off tail tank #2. So why start this thread to begin with?

Posted via Mobile Device

EBookerFan 12/30/12 9:16 PM

I attended the Rumble Saturday and thought the midget race was very competive. I did observe the East had an unusal style of driving which seemed to work for him but it sure slowed up traffic behind him. I understand that you earn your position and those behind you have to adjust to your style or punt you. It was my observation that #10 might have been able to close on #31 better than #61but that was not to be.

Jonr 12/30/12 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 313763)
Don I have a hard time believing you are so gullible. Its the same deal as Sammy at the Chili Bowl. They put that on there to grab your attention and then you dont see the real trick. Its kinda like this :39: :20: :15:

We have a winner! :6::6:

If the rear end looks all tricked out, it probably means the really cheated part is on the front of the car.

sprintracer82 12/30/12 9:42 PM

I know I dont run a midget at rumble but I am one of those guys in the 600s that has a bobtail car. Im all for having cars look different. I am very greatful that Tony allows us to build cars that fit the rules but yet they all look different. Other than the cage of my car nearly every part of the car was hand built by me and my team. The way I look at it if your getting beat by someone that has a car a little different do what I am doing before next years rumble. Go home, lick your wounds, learn why you got beat, and then refine your ride. For me its simple, more horsepower! I got beat by some very good cars. I knew I would get beat with taking a box stock engine that has never been worked on. Sorry if anyone thinks this is off topic.

Nick Landon
Landon Racing
#82 silver/blue feather ruffler modified midget

WBR 3E 12/30/12 9:56 PM

Years ago part of the fun of a night at the races was checking out the cars in the pits, admiring the creativity and workmanship of the builders and mechanics. The Rumble is a throwback to those days. The 600 minis of Landon, Sager/Bickles and John Ivy, the Munchkins (and Gamester's classic midget- wow) are well worth a closer look. If the open rulebook encourages this kind of ingenuity, I'm all for it.

Greg

Charles Nungester 12/30/12 10:32 PM

I don't think anyone but car owners and event officials have a dog in this to begin with. I myself looked over the rules and it does say USAC RULES PACKAGE with some things open to interpretation by officials.

Don asked a question, Nothing wrong with that, But why to IOW? I actually kinda agree with the question, If thirty one showed up with USAC legal tanks and one did not..................

That being said, It is one of the few events where any racer from a four year old kart racer to a full up midget races in the same place on the same night on the same track with a former USAC triple crown winner, Indy car racer and three time Nascar champion.

As far as Improving Stewarts car? Didn't seem too............................................... ................

Let the circus continue.

mayor31 12/30/12 10:57 PM

Funny thing is there was a midget there with independent front suspsion and no one has said a word about it. Guess you didn't notice it maybe cause you were to busy looking at wrong end of that car. Just stating a fact

DonMoore10 12/30/12 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Kimmel (Post 313751)
someone said you were calling it an aero advantage? Explain to me how this is an aero advantage indoors or a tiny track? And if that's not why you are griping then why?

Todd Kimmel

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Mr. Kimmel for posting a quote I never said. Please do your research before quoting me on a public message with false information.

DAD 12/30/12 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMoore10 (Post 313710)
The square midget tail tank showed up at Fort Wayne this weekend. It was rumored that the owner of the car was verbally defending it as USAC legal. Here it is straight from the USAC 2012 technical rule book:

Car Construction / Body

F. Only standard type Midget Car bodies, tail tanks and hoods will be permitted.. :13:

Best I can remember back when the Munchkin first started out back at the (USAC) Speeddroom races many years ago it had a square aluminum tail tank. It was a low buck deal and Mike did not spend a lot of money on pretty. It was "light blue" best I can remember. But it sure was fast!!!! Come to think of it many of the USAC regular racers didn't like Mike and his home made car much back then either. Heck they might have made that rule "SPECIAL" for Mike, they did thing like that.:9::10:

Honest Dad himself:6::6:

huskermudd 12/30/12 11:54 PM

I love the old school super modified round tanks wish more would run them (don't like the square ones though)