IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steel Block Now-Wing. Steel Block Sprints Assoc. Indiana (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=115795)

nathans1012 1/2/21 1:36 PM

Steel Block Now-Wing. Steel Block Sprints Assoc. Indiana

Look like Dave Gross putting this together
they already have about 50 cars committed

From Dave's Facebook page

Dave Gross
December 17, 2020 at 4:35 PM ·
Anyone interested in running a Sprint Car that has a Steel Block With this Group put your name where your from and a Picture of your Car on here... Basic Rules are simple any Non Wing Sprint Car with a Steel Block is welcome...We are in the process of booking shows at 2 different tracks.. This is strictly a Dirt track Deal....... this Group is based in the Indianapolis area for more information call 574-847-4012 or 765-720-0818..
Aluminum heads ok.
The 2 tracks are South of Indianapolis... One is small the other is 3/8mi. I haven't been to the small one but seen videos and looks like 1/5mi. Once schedules are released for those two tracks we will try to fill in dates at other tracks.

#CastIsStillFast

For those interested here is the Steel Block Sprint's group Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/244819046995505

https://i.imgur.com/wyunoGc.jpg

sprinter31 1/2/21 6:36 PM

Re: Steel Block Now-Wing. Steel Block Sprints Assoc. Indiana

You just have to have a steel block. Is there a weight rule, wet sump - dry sump, or just run what you bring with a steel block. Schedule and rules where can I get them didn’t see anything on FB page thanks

copper14 1/2/21 7:47 PM

are these 602 or 604 or home built.i know ira was having different drivers using their own definition of stock.cg

copper14 1/2/21 7:51 PM

are these 602 604 or home built engines.the idea sounds good.it takes one guy who cant read a rule book to screw it up.cg

treecitytornado 1/2/21 7:52 PM

Buddy,

Dave, is making it Steel Block Only, doesn't matter wet or dry sump & a safe Sprint Car. They aren't going to jack with weighing cars.

That's it.

Don't overthink it. Go have some fun!! 😉

sprinter31 1/2/21 9:04 PM

Probably come race

Buster51 1/3/21 12:27 AM

Whats pay?

treecitytornado 1/3/21 7:00 AM

Cooper14, you don't have to run a Crate Motor!! You can if you choose to, but steel block only, whatever heads & cubic inches, & run her!! 😉😉

jim goerge 1/3/21 7:08 AM

LOL JT Kinda seems like guys having trouble reading Dave"s rules huh . ;) :D

motorhead748 1/3/21 7:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster51 (Post 536020)
Whats pay?

Pizza to win, hot dog for second.,

staggerman 1/3/21 1:18 PM

Ok, I will ask the elephant in the room question......Do we another class of sprint cars to dilute the nonwing car counts in Indiana?

nathans1012 1/3/21 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggerman (Post 536029)
Ok, I will ask the elephant in the room question......Do we another class of sprint cars to dilute the non wing car counts in Indiana?

Your not likely to dilute anything. This is just a mini series unless they want to grow it more. I see this as drivers and teams that just want to race non-wing sprints and not break the bank doing so. Dave's got under $2k in his steel block motor. I do love that they've got about 50 teams / drivers that have committed to race with them at some point or do the entire season.

Once other tracks see what kind of driver commitment they have I'm sure other tracks would love to have them at their track a time or two through out the race season. After the first few races we will all have an idea what kind of field of cars they will get on a nightly basis. I personally think it's a cool idea and a way to get older equipment out of the barn or shed and back on the track.

I did see Dave post something about having two rear-ends. Unless you have looked at his Facebook page and see what he posted on December 17th 2020 and view all the comments and reply's. I see how it could be hard to understand his full plan with this.

I wish them all the best. Hope to see them at tracks in the northern half of Indiana as well.

Just my opinion though.

ronmil 1/3/21 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead748 (Post 536025)
pizza to win, hot dog for second.,

:5::5::5::6::d

PJ Wright 1/3/21 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggerman (Post 536029)
Ok, I will ask the elephant in the room question......Do we another class of sprint cars to dilute the nonwing car counts in Indiana?

In most cases I would agree with your dilution assessment. However I see this as a legitimate attempt to get some older equipment out of the garage and back on to the track. I wish them well.

revjimk 1/3/21 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead748 (Post 536025)
Pizza to win, hot dog for second.,

Yea, but what about the guys back in the field????

Airline peanuts?:47:

Chief Wahoo 1/3/21 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 536033)
Yea, but what about the guys back in the field????
Airline peanuts?:47:

Participation ribbon?

The Old Coyote 1/3/21 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo (Post 536034)
Participation ribbon?

How about asking Kevin Olson to put up a case of Hamms?
1st gets 6 cans
2nd gets 4 cans
3rd gets 2 cans
4th thru 14th get 1 can
15th on back get the aluminum empties.:3::3::3:

Chief Wahoo 1/3/21 10:51 PM

I like Hamms. Maybe somebody can give me a ride. I can drive fast, just ask Rpracing1 or the Troopers on I69 or 41 :3:

Seriously tho, I wish them best of luck.

jim goerge 1/4/21 1:58 AM

I can see it getting older cars out of the sheds, but I also think it be a great way to start racing with out going BROKE. Who knows maybe you can even win a can or two of Hamms. ;)

PatrickMead#13 1/4/21 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathans1012 (Post 536030)
Your not likely to dilute anything. This is just a mini series unless they want to grow it more. I see this as drivers and teams that just want to race non-wing sprints and not break the bank doing so. Dave's got under $2k in his steel block motor. I do love that they've got about 50 teams / drivers that have committed to race with them at some point or do the entire season.

Once other tracks see what kind of driver commitment they have I'm sure other tracks would love to have them at their track a time or two through out the race season. After the first few races we will all have an idea what kind of field of cars they will get on a nightly basis. I personally think it's a cool idea and a way to get older equipment out of the barn or shed and back on the track.

I did see Dave post something about having two rear-ends. Unless you have looked at his Facebook page and see what he posted on December 17th 2020 and view all the comments and reply's. I see how it could be hard to understand his full plan with this.

I wish them all the best. Hope to see them at tracks in the northern half of Indiana as well.

Just my opinion though.

Bingo!!! Very well said

racenut69 1/4/21 11:58 AM

They still make Hamms???.....;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Coyote (Post 536036)
How about asking Kevin Olson to put up a case of Hamms?
1st gets 6 cans
2nd gets 4 cans
3rd gets 2 cans
4th thru 14th get 1 can
15th on back get the aluminum empties.:3::3::3:

Andrew S. Quinn 1/4/21 1:31 PM

If this is to be a budget class with people dragging old cars out of the shed, does this mean every car will be towed on an open trailer or ramp truck instead of toter homes and 40 foot trailers?

Ken Bonnema 1/4/21 2:45 PM

Anyone got a link to the rules?

PJ Wright 1/4/21 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn (Post 536058)
If this is to be a budget class with people dragging old cars out of the shed, does this mean every car will be towed on an open trailer or ramp truck instead of toter homes and 40 foot trailers?

We can hope!

The Old Coyote 1/4/21 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racenut69 (Post 536055)
They still make Hamms???.....;)

https://www.hamms.com/

They will be around as long as Kevin Olson is with us!:5:

Jonr 1/4/21 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn (Post 536058)

IDK if this story is true, but I have heard it a couple of times.

During the height of the IMCA motor claiming days, someone asked Ted Johnson if could ever see a day where the WOO would have an engine claim. Ted said no, but said he would be open to having a claim rule for the race trailers.

nathans1012 1/5/21 9:09 PM

This will be the payout for the Steel Block Sprints ......
1st $500
2. $250
3. $200
4. $175
5. $160
6. $155
7. $145
8. $135
9. $130
10. $120
11. $115
12. $110
13. $105
14. To 20. $100 to start...$75 for non transfer...
Any questions call Billy at 765-720-0818 or
Dave at 574-847-4012

nathans1012 1/5/21 9:10 PM

The rules will go as follows....
1. ANY STEEL BLOCK that's the only motor rule
2. Alcohol fuel only
3. No tire rules...the only exception is if the said track requires it
4. Snell 2010 or newer helmet
5. 2 layer Fire suite
6. Full containment seat
7. Fire resistance shoe's and gloves
8. Arm restraints
9. No cockpit adjustments of any kind
10. No seat belts older than 3yrs
All rules are subject to change
No racer's under the age of 16
All will be inspected before the race

Ken Bonnema 1/5/21 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathans1012 (Post 536085)
The rules will go as follows....
1. ANY STEEL BLOCK that's the only motor rule
2. Alcohol fuel only
3. No tire rules...the only exception is if the said track requires it
4. Snell 2010 or newer helmet
5. 2 layer Fire suite
6. Full containment seat
7. Fire resistance shoe's and gloves
8. Arm restraints
9. No cockpit adjustments of any kind
10. No seat belts older than 3yrs
All rules are subject to change
No racer's under the age of 16
All will be inspected before the race

Thank you sir. Pretty simple

Rpracing1 1/6/21 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo (Post 536037)
I like Hamms. Maybe somebody can give me a ride. I can drive fast, just ask Rpracing1 or the Troopers on I69 or 41 :3:

Seriously tho, I wish them best of luck.

I can vouch for all of this.

He likes Hamms........:32:

He does drive FAST!....:42::

nathans1012 1/6/21 5:16 PM

We will have several shows at Thunder Valley in Salem Indiana and Twin Cities in North Vernon Indiana the payout is 500 to win 100 to start 75 for non transfer ..,. dates and times will be posted as soon as the Scheduled is complete ..
Any questions call Billy at 765-720-0818 or Dave at 574-847-4012....
Please put your name and car # on here so we have an idea of how many cars.. we need this information to pass on to the promoter.. Thanks...

nathans1012 1/6/21 5:25 PM

The 2 tracks in Question are Thunder Valley Speedway in Salem Indiana they will cover the Friday night race's and Twin City's Speedway in North Vernon Indiana on Saturday's....the schedule will be out soon

Hammer 4/28/21 7:27 PM

Steel block series is running Friday night April 30 at Salem Thunder Valley speedway and Saturday May 1 at North Vernon Twin Cities speedway. Sprints with steel blocks paying $500 to win. I really hope they have a good turn out of cars and great safe racing. This is a great chance for the small budget teams to race with guys in they're league and have fun. Good Luck Greg Baer

Dick Monahan 4/28/21 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonr (Post 536066)
IDK if this story is true, but I have heard it a couple of times.

During the height of the IMCA motor claiming days, someone asked Ted Johnson if could ever see a day where the WOO would have an engine claim. Ted said no, but said he would be open to having a claim rule for the race trailers.

He said it at a Knoxville Nationals press conference. I was there. I would guess it was in the late 90s, but I could be off a few years.

jim goerge 4/30/21 1:08 AM

Sounds like it could be a blast A retired driver (me) might even unretire. lol One more question Will the beer be on ice already? :D

JHarris 4/30/21 2:09 PM

Is Salem Thunder Valley still on for tonight?

JHarris 5/7/21 2:33 PM

Where are we going to find results on a consistent basis. Have not found North Vernon results yet. Maybe I'm not looking in the correct place.

Hammer 5/7/21 11:33 PM

Go to the very first post on this posting and you'll see the Facebook link for the steel block series there.

Hammer 5/12/21 9:14 PM

The steel block series will be in action this Friday May 14th at Thunder Valley speedway Salem Indiana and Twin Cities speedway North Vernon Indiana Saturday May 15th. Rules are simple, any nonwing sprint car with a steel block engine. 305s, crate, 360s, 410s, carbed or injected welcome.