IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thunder Valley Raceway (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=84172)

ThunderValleyRaceway 4/12/15 8:41 PM

Thunder Valley Raceway

2 Attachment(s)
Division ll Midgets

Attachment 14508

DAD 4/12/15 11:29 PM

Re: Thunder Valley Raceway

Thunder

I don't know if I should congratulate you or send you my condolence. You have taken over what could be the best Division II Midgets tracks in the Midwest. We raced there in the early 90's and it wasn't unusual to find 40+ 600cc upright Mini sprints and another 130+ small 4 cylinder stock cars mini pickups etc.

However the track has always been a political football. The group that ran the track when we raced there was voted out of office, that is the board members that supported them were voted out of office and the new members had a different outlook on how the track would operate. The next promoter loved the Mini Sprints but did not care much for the stock class and the numbers in the stock class fell off radically. The next promoters also raced Mini Sprints and chose to make rules to run off his competition and he did exactly that and the Mini Sprints started loosing numbers also.

Another promoter took the track over but he was more into open wheel modified and V8 stock cars. Little Salem is a 1/5 mile track and the big cars did not work too well there. We came back during this time but soon learned that the 600 cc cars were now playing second fiddle to the V8 cars. The track is 30 miles from our house so we stuck with for a year. During this time the new promoter managed to also get a contract on a larger track a little further up the road. I guess for him to be able to run two tracks and to keep competition down he changed little Salem over to a Friday night track. This was in my opinion the "Kiss of Death" for the once famous "Wonder Valley". We as well as most others who raced there also had jobs to hold down, and Every Friday was out the question for us and many others. I lost track of little Salem over the last several years but it was my understanding that car count and front gate where way down.

You have a great Idea and a Great race track, don't worry about the tracks up north>>>go back to 4 cylinder cars only the track was designed for them and they can put on one heck of a race there. Carve yourself out a nich group of race cars and >>>DUMP FRIDAY NIGHT RACING !!!!!

Honest Dad himself:6::6:

mud chassis 4/12/15 11:37 PM

Friday nights are hard for people to make it. Look at Linton they keep losing car count because of it and some of who ran it. There closed now.

jjones752 4/13/15 8:20 AM

On the other hand, Saturdays would put the track head-to-head with the only other regular Midget gig in the state 8 times this year; unlike the tracks that run Sprint Cars against each other Saturdays I doubt there are enough Midgets around to support two tracks, unless they are counting on the Chain Drivers to make up the bulk of the field.
Personally, I'm committed to supporting Harold on a regular basis but I do plan on at least checking Thunder Valley out a time or two.

cbaumeyer48 4/13/15 8:58 AM

What is the payout schedule for the entire field? (With 20+ cars).... And if less than 20??

ThunderValleyRaceway 4/13/15 9:04 AM

the full break down on payout will be on thundervalleyraceway.net web page soon as its up and running ... if less then 20 cars payout is will to be adjusted

DAD 4/13/15 9:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones752 (Post 410029)
On the other hand, Saturdays would put the track head-to-head with the only other regular Midget gig in the state 8 times this year; unlike the tracks that run Sprint Cars against each other Saturdays I doubt there are enough Midgets around to support two tracks, unless they are counting on the Chain Drivers to make up the bulk of the field.
Personally, I'm committed to supporting Harold on a regular basis but I do plan on at least checking Thunder Valley out a time or two.

Jim

This track is a hundred and seventy five miles south of Montpelier, that makes it equidistant from Indianapolis. That would be great for you and super for us folks down south. With just a little work this track has the making of one super Midget track. It has a clay Clay racing surface, it is nice and wide with great banking, and the small size of 1/5 of a mile would make for some super competitive racing. Indiana can support two midget operations on a given Saturday night and I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't support three of them if they were placed right.

I wish these people well, they have undertaken a task much like Harold did several years ago at Montpelier. The track has been prosperous in the past has fallen on hard times. A person with drive and vision could pull it back once again if given a little support from the racing community.

Don't worry about that Big track outside of town it is pavement and it will attracts a different type crowd both racers and fan. Don't worry about the two big dirt tracks further north. Promote four cylinder cars that are better suited for and less expensive to race than their big brothers.

Treat the racers fairly and you guys can bring "Wonder Valley" back again.

ThunderValleyRaceway 4/13/15 9:31 AM

That is are goal :6:

DAD 4/13/15 9:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderValleyRaceway (Post 410031)
the full break down on payout will be on thundervalleyraceway.net web page soon as its up and running ... if less then 20 cars payout is will to be adjusted

Thunder

A note from Harold's playbook up at Montpelier. He never set a minimum amount of cars for his pay out>>>>He did however increase the purse if more than 20 cars showed up to race. You guys are taking a big gamble why not shoot for broke.

DAD 4/13/15 10:13 AM

Jim

I went to Montpelier's web site>>>Looks like they have Midgets planned for something like ten nights. That leaves a lot of free weekends for you guys to head south to enjoy our lovely summer weather in the "Sunny Side" of Indiana. After a few laps you would fall in love with this little track>>>Harold also hosts mod lites and several other small 4 cylinder race cars that would work great at this little track on their off nights.

jjones752 4/13/15 10:32 AM

We were originally scheduled for 10 nights but the opener got rained out and this weekend wouldn't conflict with TVR if they ran Saturdays starting in May. That's how I came up with 8 potential head-to-head dates. They are talking about a make-up date, however.
How much would you change your gear and stagger compared to Montpelier? Looks like TVR would just about fit in MMS's infield, judging by Google Maps...

DAD 4/13/15 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones752 (Post 410039)
We were originally scheduled for 10 nights but the opener got rained out and this weekend wouldn't conflict with TVR if they ran Saturdays starting in May. That's how I came up with 8 potential head-to-head dates. They are talking about a make-up date, however.
How much would you change your gear and stagger compared to Montpelier? Looks like TVR would just about fit in MMS's infield, judging by Google Maps...

Jim

Got to love them Google maps! Stagger would stay about the same for us, probably drop down 1 tooth on the counter, The track has a pretty decent bank and the cars carry a lot of speed through the turns. It is the closest thing to the Illinois tracks that Indiana has>hence my reasoning for it being one super Midget track. Because of it's size it really doesn't work well for Sprints either so you don't have to worry about them replacing you on the schedule. TQ work really well their also.

ThunderValleyRaceway 4/13/15 12:13 PM

The schedule for Thunder Valley Raceway will be posted in a couple days. I have a fair board meeting tonight, to find out when the fair race is scheduled. Thunder Valley Raceway will have a new website soon. Everything is coming together. Thanks for your patience.

Chief29 4/13/15 6:17 PM

Finally someone going to run the track. Been going to the place sense 1987ish but being from Salem it's 2 miles away from me. Sad part is I can count on 1 hand how many times I've been there in 8 or so years and 3 of those I was driving. You guys are right with the fair board stuff. Thunder Valley was in its prime when it was S.W.M Motorsports. They had 20-30 600 mini sprints (uprights) 30-40 mini stock (pintos/mustangs) and around 15-20 mini late models. This was when the grand stand where there fullest. A lot of midget winners have got there start there. Brad Kuhn, AJ Felker, Seth Motsinger. That's just a few.

DAD 4/13/15 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief29 (Post 410066)
Finally someone going to run the track. Been going to the place sense 1987ish but being from Salem it's 2 miles away from me. Sad part is I can count on 1 hand how many times I've been there in 8 or so years and 3 of those I was driving. You guys are right with the fair board stuff. Thunder Valley was in its prime when it was S.W.M Motorsports. They had 20-30 600 mini sprints (uprights) 30-40 mini stock (pintos/mustangs) and around 15-20 mini late models. This was when the grand stand where there fullest. A lot of midget winners have got there start there. Brad Kuhn, AJ Felker, Seth Motsinger. That's just a few.

Chief

You are right. Those guys put a lot of work into the track and it showed, but Fair Boards aren't known for their business expertise. The worst thing you can do as a promoter is look like you are making money then they figure out in their heads that they need a little more of the take for the Fair,and or ******** change and to the victor goes the spoils.

Steve Smith was a grader operator extraordinaire he took an old WW II grader that I think he could only get to start and built a super little track complete with a berm for the turns. I can remember him coming over to my driver at the time and threatening to black flag him if he did not keep his tires off of his handy work and he meant it.

That was a special bunch of people, hopefully the little track can recover with the right people in charge and the understanding of that danged old Board.

Chief29 4/14/15 3:14 AM

Yep fair boards have hurt the karting community area here as well. My uncle Mark Humphrey (not the mini stock Mark Humphrey) ran mini sprints down there with Bob Myers back when SWM ran it.

DAD 4/14/15 9:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief29 (Post 410086)
Yep fair boards have hurt the karting community area here as well. My uncle Mark Humphrey (not the mini stock Mark Humphrey) ran mini sprints down there with Bob Myers back when SWM ran it.

Chief

We raced with Mark and his brother Larry>>>Good Folks>>>and tough to beat. It is hard to believe how well that track worked back then. They filled the pits and grandstands both. Payed well>>were fair to the racers>>had great concessions stands>>a really nice free banquet at the end of the season>>>What the Heck Happened !!!

TQ29m 4/14/15 12:14 PM

We ran go-karts there, years ago, also TQ's, not all that long ago, and at least one Sprint car show, and the same at Osgood, kinda fun with all of them, Mason Fleetwood was running Thunder Valley then, we always had good turn outs, even on Friday nights. Felt sorry for Mason, he had signed agreements with the Fair Board, then the City saw there was some money to be made there, so as politicians do, they decided it was in the City limits, and by the time they got done with their rant, everyone had given up, racers and promoters, as someone has said before, Fair Boards do have a way of getting greedy, and most of the time, they don't even know where the Fairgrounds is, we had that happen in Columbus, they were elected, and they just wanted to add something to their resume, all they knew was, they could store their junk there at no cost! Bob

Chief29 4/14/15 1:14 PM

Is this "full" midgets like Powri? Or just Kenyon type or lighting sprints

jjones752 4/14/15 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief29 (Post 410113)
Is this "full" midgets like Powri? Or just Kenyon type or lighting sprints

The flyer says D-2, which is the above plus Focus/Ecotech (it's spelled out in the fine print), but not "National", like USAC/POWRi.

ThunderValleyRaceway 4/14/15 2:18 PM

No powri cant run only cars is lightning sprints/kenyon midgets/echotec midgets/focus midgets

DAD 4/14/15 2:44 PM

Thunder

That would be the general consensus of a D II Midget as envisioned by many in the racing community. Chain drive Motorcycle powered cars>>>Ecotec powered Midgets and Focus Powered Midgets and also>> let's not forget about the New USAC Honda cars all of them work real well together and could produce some excellent racing.

I don't know but in the future PowrI would make for some spectacular racing there as a special event.

It would also be an excellent track for several classes of the 600cc sidewinders and Junior Sprints. This track has so many possibility's that it is overwhelming. And it never has to see a V8 race car on the race track. You might want to check in with your insurance people and see if they give a break for 4 cylinders and less?

ThunderValleyRaceway 4/14/15 2:56 PM

We are working on a cpl dates for sidewinders

Mikec11n 4/15/15 10:08 AM

Any idea on the amount of interest there is or an estimate on car count? And for all you folks that say there ain't no way to tell, well I know that I am looking for a guesstimate.
I know May 8th, lord willing we will be there to give it an honest effort if there are enough participants to give if a go. The last Mini Sprint feature we only had like 5 cars, great group of guys but it was more like an open practice more so than not. I would love to see it like it was in 2008 2009 when there were enough cars to make it fun.

Mike Cherry

ThunderValleyRaceway 4/15/15 10:28 AM

There is alot of interest. As for car count i cant answer that would be impossible.

DAD 4/15/15 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikec11n (Post 410181)
Any idea on the amount of interest there is or an estimate on car count? And for all you folks that say there ain't no way to tell, well I know that I am looking for a guesstimate.
I know May 8th, lord willing we will be there to give it an honest effort if there are enough participants to give if a go. The last Mini Sprint feature we only had like 5 cars, great group of guys but it was more like an open practice more so than not. I would love to see it like it was in 2008 2009 when there were enough cars to make it fun.

Mike Cherry

Mike

These guys would be going heads up with MMSA on the 8th of may with their race at Chandler. Both of them will be up against a Friday night race that typically draws fewer cars.

By opening up his rules for the Div II type cars he could hope to pull some Ecotec and Focus and Kenyon cars. The guys down in Linton with the 600cc cars could also make a difference but you are the first guy beside me to show any interest on IOW. This track is small enough that even the 600cc uprights would be competitive especially with out wings.

Jim Gardner 4/15/15 4:03 PM

I love running thunder valley and I like the concept. But due to work I can't make a Friday show until at least mid june. Last time I ran there it only paid 50 bucks to win. If they can come up with a consistent purse structure (it doesn't have to be huge money) then I'd be very supportive of it.

DAD 4/15/15 5:21 PM

Jimmy

Back to my original statement!!:) DUMP FRIDAY NIGHTS some of us still work on Friday because we can't qualify for a Government check.:15::16

ThunderValleyRaceway 4/15/15 8:59 PM

Duane Hilderbrand (Track Promoter) Is pleased to announce that Thunder Valley Raceway*
will be open for the 2015 race season.
Schedule of events for 2015 are posted in the schedule page.
There will be some changes for the upcoming season.*
New lower grandstand admission prices will be $7.00*
Kids 10 and under free
New lower concession prices
Better payout for our drivers
Come enjoy some exciting racing this year at the Thunder!*

http://thundervalleyracing.net/index.html

LEADERS EDGE 4/15/15 9:38 PM

Why not run it just like the Montpeiler program?

DAD 4/15/15 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE (Post 410217)
Why not run it just like the Montpeiler program?

Leader

With Montpelier running 10 times a year and Thunder Valley running 10 time a year also it would make for a full season for the Midget program for these racers. That sounds like a great Idea. Harold has several big advantages over these guys. He owns his track. He has invested a great deal in improvements at Montpelier. Thunder Valley is still a rental track and it is hard to justify investing large sums of money in its development. Harold had already a few years of experience under his belt before starting his Midget program and had secured some support from the Midget Racing community.

I understand that Thunder Valley is thinking about starting out with a much smaller purse than Montpelier. How many of the Montpelier regulars would come south for lets say $300.00 to win? So far we have heard from one Montpelier regular and his response was positive. What about guys like Don Moore, what do they think about such an idea? I doubt if Thunder Valley will be starting out with very deep pockets Fair Boards usually have very steep rental rates.

Right now they need support>>>In put>>>Sponsors>>>and all the other things that go along with running a race track. They have a great Idea. How can You and I help them achieve their goal.

tinkertoys 4/15/15 10:43 PM

Thunder Valley always drew a great hornet turn out. Thinking of your back gate! They even used to have a Hornet nationals that was a blast for fans and racer's with the trunk or treat since it was the last Saturday in October. I know I will be crucified for bringing up fendered cars on an IOW post but the facts from a promoter strand point don't lie. I know a lot of hornet guy's would also love to have somewhere to run that big motor doesn't prevail.

DAD 4/15/15 10:49 PM

tinker

Hornets also make your front gate, Mom, Dad, Grand Ma and Pa, all the cousins and friends at work come out to chear on their favorite. They will be a very big component of success at any race track. They are the guys that make Midget racing possible. I can remember a lot of "D" mains in some stock classes at Thunder Valley, and you know what sometimes they were the best races of the night.:)

Big motors never did prevailed at Thunder Valley even the 600cc uprights were faster than the open wheel mods. The D II Midgets will be an all new ball game.

tinkertoys 4/15/15 11:01 PM

Dad you are correct! When Bloomington started running hornets the first year in 2011 I had 20 fans on the hill every night I ran supporting me. Since I have for the most part stopped racing as a driver 18 of those 20 haven't been to a race at all anywhere since. They where the friends Uncle's Aunts etc. I have a new car but with doing all the the tech stuff and other work for a living finding time to race is nill. However if Thunder Valley starts up again (if its saturday's or sundays) and runs hornets I will go down and support them every chance I get. It is the raciest little hornet track in Indiana.

DAD 4/15/15 11:24 PM

Tinker

Thunder Valley switched to Friday Night racing because of the wishes of one promoter several years ago and I guess the new promoters did not change the day because that is the day so an so ran on (they all failed) In its past it was always a Saturday night Track and very successful >>>>with good car count and great crowds, I see can no reason to continue as a Friday Night Track just because several promoters in the past failed to change the mistakes made by others.

Better Get to work on that race car they will need your support.

Mikec11n 4/16/15 5:55 PM

Dad

I think Friday nights are gonna be a tough row to hoe with most shops quitting at 5 and the races starting at 7. By the time my driver gets off work he should be turning hot laps. Of course, he is my son and also works for the family business so I am sure we will make provisions for him, we all don't have that option is what I am saying. His choice was to give TVR a go, Although we are still working toward the MMSA season because the TVR thing just kinda came to my attention this past week. As soon as I said Midgets and TVR he wanted to be there. BUT, in saying all that if there is a D-2 Midget interest here in Southern Indiana I would give up my chain drive Midget in a flash for one .

Mike Cherry

ThunderValleyRaceway 4/16/15 7:18 PM

Division ll midgets are lightning sprints/kenyon midgets/echotec midgets/ford focus midgets combined together to make one class

DAD 4/16/15 7:20 PM

Mike

We are also self employed and work until 6 PM Fridays and Noon on Saturdays. We did do the take off early thing several years ago and the business went to hell.

With MMSA and Chandler on Fri nights two things work in their and our favor>>>Chandler is on Central time and they also start their races later (Makes Sense to me). We can make it down there but it is a push. Salem is 30 miles away and Saturdays worked great. If you want to race on Friday nights I would suggest running the professional racers who only work on their race cars and not worry about the armatures from out of town.

If you guys haven't tried Montpelier yet with the Midgets you seriously aught to look into it.

jjones752 4/16/15 7:23 PM

Why is it I never see posts complaining about Friday shows at Bloomington? Sure, it's tight getting to a track on Fridays sometimes, but isn't this a step in the right direction? Another place where people can go to race if they choose to make the commitment? A race track that's being used as a race track instead of a "Cash-for-clunkers" dump or being plowed under and farmed? Instead of killing it before it even has a chance to see the light of day, how about saying thanks to the organizers for giving it a shot?

cmiracingvids 4/16/15 8:22 PM

I'll finally chime in here. Thunder Valley is a reeeeally fun little race track. And I'm sure even more fun non wing. So, I'm going to check it out at least once. I can't justify driving 3 hours to Chandler, and getting a hotel and going to Western Kentucky on Saturday. I'd love to. But this is a hobby for me. Love the MMSA, and I think this will be their biggest year yet, but i think May 8th, I'll be at Thunder Valley. I'll see what this promoter can do, and then I'll decide if I want to go back or not.