IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Track Food - Who does it right (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=105513)

davidm 7/31/18 8:56 AM

Track Food - Who does it right

Man does not live on French Fries alone. :D

Lincoln Speedway (PA) has several food trucks in addition to the typical Concessions Stand items. There's a Seafood truck, Ice Cream and a Funnel cake truck, but the one that really hits a home run is the BBQ Food truck.

Their Pulled Pork BBQ is to die for, and believe me I've eaten a lot of Pulled Pork BBQ! For $8 you get so much meat that it falls off all sides of the sandwich. You have to start with a fork so you don't waste any. They also have smoked Turkey Legs, Beef Briquette, and smoked Turkey.

What’s your favorite Race Track food item?

hilly 7/31/18 9:16 AM

Tenderloin samich. Haven’t found one at a track that blows my mind, but most tracks have decent ones.

Charles Nungester 7/31/18 9:37 AM

Re: Track Food - Who does it right

Hate to say this about a track who's track itself I don't like much anymore.

But Bernice set up Eldoras Menu and pricing right The Marinated Hot Wings are awesome. The Fries could use some improvement but the selection and price and ability to handle crowds is awesome.

motorhead748 7/31/18 9:52 AM

I have to agree with Charles, for the selection & price eldora is hard to beat.
I think it was Salina ok that would open their concession during the week for the locals.

Andrew S. Quinn 7/31/18 10:23 AM

Lebanon Valley Speedway in New York had the best setup I’ve seen. Everything is $1,$2,$3 etc. they have booths to change currency from larger bills to $1 bills, then you pay with the $1 bills. The concessions don’t have to make change. The line moves. Different booths for different foods etc.

Never figured out why other tracks don’t do this.

TQ29m 7/31/18 10:24 AM

A few years back, at Thunder Valley, when Mason was running the promotions there, whoever was doing concessions there served up a mighty good tenderloin samich, fact is, everything on the menu was good, so much, that sometimes I'd forget what we went there for!

DAD 7/31/18 11:14 AM

hilly>>>>>
North Vernon Indiana has Super BPT and the price is right.:)

ISF 7/31/18 11:47 AM

I have to echo those that have sighted Eldora as a track with superior food. In addition to the food being reasonably priced it's very good in regards to quality and quantity.

However, the absolute best food we've ever had at a dirt racetrack was at a place that no longer exists. We were lucky enough to have attended the 2004 Western World Championships out west at Manzanita Speedway and they're Mexican food was to die for. We're not huge Mexican food fans but it was truly exceptional at Manzy.

TQ29m 7/31/18 11:56 AM

I have not been to Bton in a while, but the last time I was there, they had it set up kinda like that, food was good and the prices were fair, I thought.

revjimk 7/31/18 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilly (Post 499288)
Tenderloin samich. Haven’t found one at a track that blows my mind, but most tracks have decent ones.

Only in the Midwest....

revjimk 7/31/18 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidm (Post 499287)
Man does not live on French Fries alone. :D

Lincoln Speedway (PA) has several food trucks in addition to the typical Concessions Stand items. There's a Seafood truck, Ice Cream and a Funnel cake truck, but the one that really hits a home run is the BBQ Food truck.

Their Pulled Pork BBQ is to die for, and believe me I've eaten a lot of Pulled Pork BBQ! For $8 you get so much meat that it falls off all sides of the sandwich. You have to start with a fork so you don't waste any. They also have smoked Turkey Legs, Beef Briquette, and smoked Turkey.

What’s your favorite Race Track food item?

Lincoln is good, so is Port Royal during the County Fair
But how bout Knoxville Nationals, Asian Chicken, Pork Tenderloin, & Cattleman's steak & corn on the cob tent?
I like most of the tenderloins in the Midwest, but Eldora's is damn near big as a pizza....
Worst? Nachos at Oskaloosa.... seems like they apply the melted cheese an hour in advance SOGGY!!!!

Hammer 7/31/18 12:51 PM

Eldora, good food, good prices. You can feed your family there. Also US24 speedway has great food and priced good, especially spanish cheese dogs and spanish cheese burgers.

davidm 7/31/18 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 499303)
Lincoln is good, so is Port Royal during the County Fair
But how bout Knoxville Nationals, Asian Chicken, Pork Tenderloin, & Cattleman's steak & corn on the cob tent?
I like most of the tenderloins in the Midwest, but Eldora's is damn near big as a pizza....
Worst? Nachos at Oskaloosa.... seems like they apply the melted cheese an hour in advance SOGGY!!!!

Oh yeah the Juniata County Fair food is really good!!!

davidm 7/31/18 1:11 PM

When Hagerstown Speedway ran the Oktoberfest 350 weekend they had really good Country Ham Sandwiches and Bean and Ham soup. When ole Frank Sagi announced over the PA that the Country Girls had another pot of Bean and Ham soup ready you'd better move fast, because that soup went fast!

mc/rider 7/31/18 1:25 PM

Salem has a huge tenderloin.All the tracks I go to are great with condimints except Lawrenceburg.Bloomington use to have fake onions but they had real ones last week. Great porkchop sandwich at Kokomo. Dewig does a good braut at Haubstadt.Lburg,Bton and Btown have good Fries. Im hungry.See ya at the races :44::32:

DAD 7/31/18 1:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc/rider (Post 499313)
Salem has a huge tenderloin.All the tracks I go to are great with condimints except Lawrenceburg.Bloomington use to have fake onions but they had real ones last week. Great porkchop sandwich at Kokomo. Dewig does a good braut at Haubstadt.Lburg,Bton and Btown have good Fries. Im hungry.See ya at the races :44::32:

Way Back when the Salem Fire Department had a big old iron plate set up just outside the grand stands. They would cook there burgers over a bed of sliced onions and serve them up right off the grill. Great 40 years ago but one would probably kill me today.:3::5::6:

bsmith8 7/31/18 8:34 PM

ELDORA !!! Pizza Burger and can not beat the prices.

dirtnonwingfan 7/31/18 8:50 PM

There was a reason that Manzanita Speedway's burritos were legendary. They were big and outstanding! There area several comments above which mention food which is prepared by an organization other than the track. I believe this certainly results in excellent refreshments. I am certainly not saying that track employees don't bust their butts to give us good food, but I think you are just going to put a little more into it if you have some skin in the game. The outside barbecue vendor at Little Rock's I-30 Speedway produced really great stuff. Hendry County Speedway in far southern Florida had several local vendors, all offering their specialties. Only place I had alligator gumbo or stew or whatever that bowl was called. It was excellent. Over the years, East Bay Raceway had some of the best food and best service and worst food and worst service I have ever seen. Different vendors, vastly different results. Hard to beat their fresh strawberry shortcake regardless of who it was, however. Riverside Speedway in West Mempis also has some excellent food which is different that what we are used to in the midwest. I love the fact that Bloomington has ice cream! Come on, its the midwest, it is hot, it is humid. We should all scream for ice cream at every track.

reeserx 7/31/18 8:55 PM

I’ve always enjoyed the pork chop sandwich at Kokomo

miledirt 7/31/18 9:06 PM

Is there a better tenderloin than the ones behind the main grandstand at the Knoxville Nationals? Fresh not frozen..pounded thin... battered...deep fried - amazing

hilly 7/31/18 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miledirt (Post 499350)
Is there a better tenderloin than the ones behind the main grandstand at the Knoxville Nationals? Fresh not frozen..pounded thin... battered...deep fried - amazing

I’ll have to try it during my first trip to Knoxville next summer for the Cornbelt Nationals. Thanks for the heads up!

Chief Wahoo 7/31/18 9:57 PM

Plus 1 for the Salem tenderloin! But I want to know what happened to the Cajun peanuts at Lincoln Park:15:

revjimk 7/31/18 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan (Post 499346)
There was a reason that Manzanita Speedway's burritos were legendary. They were big and outstanding! There area several comments above which mention food which is prepared by an organization other than the track. I believe this certainly results in excellent refreshments. I am certainly not saying that track employees don't bust their butts to give us good food, but I think you are just going to put a little more into it if you have some skin in the game. The outside barbecue vendor at Little Rock's I-30 Speedway produced really great stuff. Hendry County Speedway in far southern Florida had several local vendors, all offering their specialties. Only place I had alligator gumbo or stew or whatever that bowl was called. It was excellent. Over the years, East Bay Raceway had some of the best food and best service and worst food and worst service I have ever seen. Different vendors, vastly different results. Hard to beat their fresh strawberry shortcake regardless of who it was, however. Riverside Speedway in West Mempis also has some excellent food which is different that what we are used to in the midwest. I love the fact that Bloomington has ice cream! Come on, its the midwest, it is hot, it is humid. We should all scream for ice cream at every track.

"Only place I had alligator gumbo or stew or whatever that bowl was called".... I'm proud to say that I introduced Grandview parking lot to that delicacy known as crawfish. A few years ago Eastern Storm race was the day after "Michael Arnone's Crawfish Festival" in Joisey. (he's a New Orleans guy who got homesick & started to throw big crawfish boils with lots of live music) At the end of the fest, they were selling out all the food for half price, so I bought a bunch & brought 'em to Grandview. All those Yankees found them interesting I guess, but I doubt if they'll replace burgers & brats....:32:

racinc1 8/1/18 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead748 (Post 499291)
I have to agree with Charles, for the selection & price eldora is hard to beat.
I think it was Salina ok that would open their concession during the week for the locals.

My wife has family in Tulsa so I went to the Salina High Banks on a trip there. Dont remember much about the concessions but they have a full service Steak house up above the grandstands that is open i believe 6 days a week year round. Has big windows with tables that overlook the track.

dirtnonwingfan 8/1/18 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 499362)
"Only place I had alligator gumbo or stew or whatever that bowl was called".... I'm proud to say that I introduced Grandview parking lot to that delicacy known as crawfish. A few years ago Eastern Storm race was the day after "Michael Arnone's Crawfish Festival" in Joisey. (he's a New Orleans guy who got homesick & started to throw big crawfish boils with lots of live music) At the end of the fest, they were selling out all the food for half price, so I bought a bunch & brought 'em to Grandview. All those Yankees found them interesting I guess, but I doubt if they'll replace burgers & brats....:32:

That is great! I love it when we can get nontraditional food at a track. Congratulations for your efforts!

TQ29m 8/1/18 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilly (Post 499351)
I’ll have to try it during my first trip to Knoxville next summer for the Cornbelt Nationals. Thanks for the heads up!

Not sure that's a "tenderloin", believe it's closer to a "pork fritter", used to be a place in Indy that sold them, they were bigger than a lot of Western hats, never figured what they used to flavor them with, probably really low on the "nutrition" scale, down there close to hot dogs I'd imagine, or a Western hat!!

miledirt 8/1/18 12:10 PM

Nope - Kendra at Knoxville just tweeted yesterday that the tenderloin food truck was already set up behind main grandstand -

jjones752 8/1/18 1:06 PM

There was a little cart on the walkway behind the Turn One stands at Ascot that sold Italian Sausage sandwiches; can't remember the name of it but the smell of those sausages, and the pans of sautéed peppers and onions and Marinara sauce would waft over the stands, and it was impossible to resist. The only thing that's come close for me since then is the Kokomo Pork Chop.

chathamracefan 8/1/18 1:17 PM

Eldora wins of the tracks I have been to especially when you factor in the reasonableness of the pricing. Fairbury IL has a taco truck that comes in for the Prairie Dirt Classic late model show every year. It is very good. Knoxville has some killer food trucks for the Nationals, but that is beyond the normal concessions.

PAW 8/1/18 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo (Post 499354)
Plus 1 for the Salem tenderloin! But I want to know what happened to the Cajun peanuts at Lincoln Park:15:

They told me the peanut company went out of business. I told them there's other companies that sell Cajun peanuts!

Chief Wahoo 8/1/18 3:38 PM

:21:
Quote:

Originally Posted by paw (Post 499416)
they told me the peanut company went out of business. I told them there's other companies that sell cajun peanuts!

:21::15:

revjimk 8/1/18 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan (Post 499365)
That is great! I love it when we can get nontraditional food at a track. Congratulations for your efforts!

Thanks! Good way to make friends too.... later that summer I was at the Motel 6 in Des Moines, near Airport, for Nationals, when a guy with Joisey plates saw me & said "Aren't you the guy with the crawfish?" I think his name was Chet...
Ever try 'em? I rarely drink, but crawfish go perfect with beer. (Just like pizza & Mexican food, spicy!) Plus, it takes awhile to eat 'em, lots of work for a little morsel of meat, so you can take your time, socialize & sip suds :32:

chrismattlin 8/2/18 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISF (Post 499299)
I have to echo those that have sighted Eldora as a track with superior food. In addition to the food being reasonably priced it's very good in regards to quality and quantity.

However, the absolute best food we've ever had at a dirt racetrack was at a place that no longer exists. We were lucky enough to have attended the 2004 Western World Championships out west at Manzanita Speedway and they're Mexican food was to die for. We're not huge Mexican food fans but it was truly exceptional at Manzy.

This is EXACTLY what I came here to say! Great minds think alike!

flagboy55 8/2/18 3:05 PM

I don’t know if they have it anymore but does anyone remember the fresh hot donuts they used to make at IRP? As soon as we arrived there we’d be tugging on Dad’s pockets to leave us enough money for donuts before he headed to the pits. My brother and I would head straight there and wait for them to come out hot!

jim goerge 8/2/18 3:53 PM

I like burgers at LPS and Haubstadt nothing fancy just good burges, Season fries at TSS really good plus really awesome Brats when DeWigs Butcher Shop has their semi smoker truck at TSS :8:

Jonr 8/2/18 10:37 PM

meat burritos with green Chili from Duke City Speedway in Albuquerque. Of course, you had to have a cold beer to chase it down. It was of the few things that I miss from Duke City.

revjimk 8/3/18 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonr (Post 499500)
meat burritos with green Chili from Duke City Speedway in Albuquerque. Of course, you had to have a cold beer to chase it down. It was of the few things that I miss from Duke City.

Ooh, Green Chile at a sprint car track? After living in Colorado for 40 years, that stuff rules!!! Can't find it in the East....:6:

Bad Dad 54 8/3/18 2:04 AM

Jim fisher told me if I ever needed to find him at Kokomo when he's not in the infield just follow the pork sandwich wrappers:5::5:. The waking Taco at Fremont OH is excellent:6:, how ever their hot dogs & hamburgers are to be skipped UGH:11;. Spartan Speedway just south of Lansing used to have excellent elephant ears but haven't seen them in a while:31:

Adolph 8/3/18 9:44 AM

Hot dogs and burgers at LPS are above average for dirt track and you can add as many jalapeños and pickle slices as your heart desires.

Jerry Shaw 8/3/18 10:20 AM

Overall, I'd say that the best concession stand in this area is at Putnamville, because the quality is good and most of the sandwiches (burgers, tenderloin, hot dogs, smoked sausage) are larger than average. And the other side features the biggest bag of popcorn you're going to get, anywhere.

There's also a new contender in the category of "Best Track Sandwich" and that's the Bloomington Speedway Tenderloin. There's the same quality of pork cutlet that you might find in a local restaurant, that's known for their tenderloins, under that breading. I was kind of surprised by the first one I tried, this year.

Jerry