IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=122433)

Charles Nungester 1/31/23 9:14 AM

Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen

What tracks have you seen a sprint car race at that most on the board probably never seen a sprint car race at.

My first thought it old Portsmouth. Same location as current track but this was a less than quarter mostly flat track on grey clay (Play Doh) Seen a All Star race there that Mark Keegan won, Track was so tight it ran around the guardrail of the current light tower and had corner flagmen. Winged sprints backed em in and shot down the other straight.

TQ29m 1/31/23 9:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 561579)
What tracks have you seen a sprint car race at that most on the board probably never seen a sprint car race at.

My first thought it old Portsmouth. Same location as current track but this was a less than quarter mostly flat track on grey clay (Play Doh) Seen a All Star race there that Mark Keegan won, Track was so tight it ran around the guardrail of the current light tower and had corner flagmen. Winged sprints backed em in and shot down the other straight.

Sounds a little like Madison indiana, one driver said he felt like he was going faster side ways than he was in a straight line, and he admitted he was having fun, to which I agreed.

jmamcd 1/31/23 9:41 AM

Hickory Speedway in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania during Western PA Sprint Speed Week. Small, tight, dirty track. It closed that year.

cmakin 1/31/23 10:20 AM

Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 561579)

Well, since I am from California and now reside in Texas. . . . probably a few. We have lost a lot of tracks in the Houston area in the past 30 years, sadly. All ran sprint cars at some point, although usually winged. Probably the most unique was at Houston Raceway Park in 2010 when the TNT non wing sprints raced. First non wing show I had ever seen in Houston. Great finish with Ballou winning over Bacon and Hockett.

oppweld 1/31/23 12:05 PM

30 April 1994 I saw Cory Kruseman score his first SCRA win ever at the 3/8s El Centro (Imperial Fairgrounds) speedway.

JJMooney 1/31/23 12:41 PM

Interesting. I like this topic. I’d say two tracks I saw sprint car races at that most on this board haven’t seen sprints at are:

LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) – USAC Sprint Cars: Best known for being a paved track, I-44 was covered with sticky, red clay for a very short time. I believe it was the only sprint race held here when it was dirt. There were a few USAC shows here when I-44 was pavement. However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show. Wednesday night. Small crowd. Originally scheduled to be a 50-lap feature. I was at the driver’s meeting and the drivers were complaining about it being 50 laps. Duke argued, “USAC features were 50 laps in my day so that’s what we’re runnin’.” Tony Elliott got by Tim Kaeding with ten to go to win the feature which wound up being 30 laps anyway. The laps were reduced early on after there were way too many cautions getting the race going. It was kind of a cluster. The place was heavy, wet, with a big cushion. Plenty fast. The track is back to being pavement but only runs stock cars once-in-a-blue moon.

MID-AMERICA SPEEDWAY, South Coffeyville OK (8/15/2007) – Sprint Bandit Tour 'N Topless: Emmet Hahn’s non-wing, TNT series made a stop here at this remote 3/10 mile near the Kansas border. It was hot. Brutally hot. Like 110 degrees hot. And it wasn’t a dry heat either. In between hot laps and the heat races most, if not all, of the sparse crowd on hand stood in the shade of the concession stand roof. There was less than 100 spectators. Standing in that shade was what I remember most of that show. The race feature won by Chris Windom. I want to say Tim Kaeding was second. As you can imagine it was gritty, dusty, then the track laid rubber. Although, with all that said, I think it was a decent race. I couldn’t wait for the night to be over so I get to my car and turn on the a/c. The track has long since closed.

Charles Nungester 1/31/23 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJMooney (Post 561599)
Interesting. I like this topic. I’d say two tracks I saw sprint car races at that most on this board haven’t seen sprints at are:

LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) – USAC Sprint Cars: Best known for being a paved track, I-44 was covered with sticky, red clay for a very short time. I believe it was the only sprint race held here when it was dirt. There were a few USAC shows here when I-44 was pavement. However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show. Wednesday night. Small crowd. Originally scheduled to be a 50-lap feature. I was at the driver’s meeting and the drivers were complaining about it being 50 laps. Duke argued, “USAC features were 50 laps in my day so that’s what we’re runnin’.” Tony Elliott got by Tim Kaeding with ten to go to win the feature which wound up being 30 laps anyway. The laps were reduced early on after there were way too many cautions getting the race going. It was kind of a cluster. The place was heavy, wet, with a big cushion. Plenty fast. The track is back to being pavement but only runs stock cars once-in-a-blue moon.

MID-AMERICA SPEEDWAY, South Coffeyville OK (8/15/2007) – Sprint Bandit Tour 'N Topless: Emmet Hahn’s non-wing, TNT series made a stop here at this remote 3/10 mile near the Kansas border. It was hot. Brutally hot. Like 110 degrees hot. And it wasn’t a dry heat either. In between hot laps and the heat races most, if not all, of the sparse crowd on hand stood in the shade of the concession stand roof. There was less than 100 spectators. Standing in that shade was what I remember most of that show. The race feature won by Chris Windom. I want to say Tim Kaeding was second. As you can imagine it was gritty, dusty, then the track laid rubber. Although, with all that said, I think it was a decent race. I couldn’t wait for the night to be over so I get to my car and turn on the a/c. The track has long since closed.

Gonna have to add another post on Sprint races that not many saw because there weren't many fans at it. I got a couple in mind. one at eldora where I think track staff outnumbered fans and there were 36 sprint cars and 26 LM's that raced.

beaner 1/31/23 1:17 PM

Shiawassee County Fairgrounds in Michigan. MTS show with a very cool setting on weekday during Fair Week. Furthest grandstand I ever sat from a track with grass, fence, tractor pulling area, more grass and then the track. Oh yea, as I remember the dirt track went up/down a hill and was not actually oval. If anyone out there ever attended this Fairgrounds track, is my memory close?

Rpracing1 1/31/23 1:23 PM

McHenry Ky. Chandler, In. and Mt. Vernon,Ill.

TQ29m 1/31/23 1:29 PM

Little Salem, as it is known, and Osgood?

Stevensville Mike 1/31/23 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaner (Post 561602)
Shiawassee County Fairgrounds in Michigan. MTS show with a very cool setting on weekday during Fair Week. Furthest grandstand I ever sat from a track with grass, fence, tractor pulling area, more grass and then the track. Oh yea, as I remember the dirt track went up/down a hill and was not actually oval. If anyone out there ever attended this Fairgrounds track, is my memory close?

Your memory is not bad, beaner. I was there a couple of times. If you got a running start and threw a baseball at the track, unless you were a pro outfielder, you couldn't hit it on the fly.

The strangest ending to any sprint race I ever saw was there once. MTS. Steve Irwin was leading pretty much the whole way. There were many cautions. On the last restart they pointed out that the next flag was going to be the end for it was starting to get dark and they had no lights.

Irwin comes up on lapped traffic and runs up and over a guy and lands on his side. End of race. Now.... who wins?

If you go back to the last completed lap, Steve was the leader. But he caused the red.

Who was in second on the last completed lap? Gregg Dalman - but unbeknownst to the fans, he apparently had hit the restart cone.

So who is in third in the last completed lap? John Watson of Canada. Johnny Demonic got the win. Apparently he was putting the car in the hauler when they ran him down and told him.

There were no loudspeakers for the track so none of the fans knew this on the way out. I found out the next day when I read it on tjslideways.

speedracer40 1/31/23 2:02 PM

Belle-Claire

CRA91 1/31/23 2:07 PM

Santa Maria Speedway in California

snowdrift 1/31/23 2:13 PM

How about when they run sprint cars in the Hoosier dome on the cement.I think Tony Elliot won I was there I think hardly any passing

Blackduce 1/31/23 3:16 PM

This was the worst of the worst of my racing. A real cluster. The pavement shown under the 4 inch of dirt. Track was 1/3 pavment after heats.
More RR and pit stops I can remember for a USAC sprint race.

LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) – USAC Sprint Cars: Best known for being a paved track, I-44 was covered with sticky, red clay for a very short time. I believe it was the only sprint race held here when it was dirt. There were a few USAC shows here when I-44 was pavement. However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show.

Lynn

JJMooney 1/31/23 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackduce (Post 561609)
This was the worst of the worst of my racing. A real cluster. The pavement shown under the 4 inch of dirt. Track was 1/3 pavment after heats.
More RR and pit stops I can remember for a USAC sprint race.

LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) – USAC Sprint Cars: Best known for being a paved track, I-44 was covered with sticky, red clay for a very short time. I believe it was the only sprint race held here when it was dirt. There were a few USAC shows here when I-44 was pavement. However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show.

Lynn

Now that I think about it, I do remember the pavement showing. I know there were alot of flat tires. Cluster is the word. It seems like it was wet and heavy at the start of the night with a huge curb though. I think the clay just peeled right up and stacked up in the corners.

NoDramazone2020 1/31/23 3:48 PM

Marne Michigan....dirt track....is this the now current Berlin Raceway??.....The rocks were so bad, I think they cancelled half way thru Time Trials.....long time ago

opnwhlmnd 1/31/23 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJMooney (Post 561599)
LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show. Wednesday night. Small crowd. Originally scheduled to be a 50-lap feature. I was at the driver’s meeting and the drivers were complaining about it being 50 laps. Duke argued, “USAC features were 50 laps in my day so that’s what we’re runnin’.” Tony Elliott got by Tim Kaeding with ten to go to win the feature which wound up being 30 laps anyway. .

I was at this show. Thought it was Bud Kaeding not Tim that Elliott passed.

Too many to list on here for me that I've seen sprints run that others haven't.

Stevensville Mike 1/31/23 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdrift (Post 561608)
How about when they run sprint cars in the Hoosier dome on the cement.I think Tony Elliot won I was there I think hardly any passing

If I remember correctly, did they not they coat the entire floor surface with molasses to promote grip? Imagine getting THAT up post race with all of the rubber. :D

Andrew S. Quinn 1/31/23 4:22 PM

Canaan Speedway in Canaan, New Hampshire Think I went there twice. Its closed now I think.

Bear Ridge Speedway Bradford Vermont Saw sprints there once. Only time I ever slept in my own bed after watching sprint cars when I lived in Maine.

If it hadnt rained the final night in 197 I could have added Beech Ridge Speedway in Scarborough Maine. It rained out and that was going to be the last time for sprint cars there. It got sold last year and is now closed.....

kcarm92 1/31/23 4:36 PM

We actually ran the sprintcar deal at the dome,had to be a dirt car on dirt tires, yeah not much passing but was still fun to be a part of.

RHR 1/31/23 4:42 PM

Midgets at Conseco Field House, downtown Indy. 2016? PRI week. 😬😬

Edit: I know, not sprints but had to mention...

TQ29m 1/31/23 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcarm92 (Post 561615)
We actually ran the sprintcar deal at the dome,had to be a dirt car on dirt tires, yeah not much passing but was still fun to be a part of.

Same deal with the Ft Wayne midget racing, with the tqs we had to run dirt tires, which was a blessing atFW, someone dropped a lot of oil, and our dirt tires were the only thing with the powder they put down, that worked to clean it up.
Both places were a blast, glad we went, good for winter fun. Still the Hoosier Dome to me!

yeleyfan76 1/31/23 5:30 PM

WoO at Flemington. Wolfgang won in something like 8 minutes. The All Stars at East Windsor (NJ) Fast Freddie Rahmer was the victor.

NoDramazone2020 1/31/23 5:46 PM

Queen City Speedway in Cincy and old Dayton Speedway. Many of the old timers here may have seen a race or two here....I was at both, but I was a young lad at the time....Just remember how fast Dayton was even back then....

Old Illiana Speedway was a flat half mile I believe....night races were an adventure because it was so dark you could not see from one end of the track to the other.

mlamb 1/31/23 5:55 PM

I can say I’ve only ever had to drive thru Hazard Ky to get to a sprint car race once. That was many years ago, at an All Star race at Mountain motor speedway Isom, Ky.

cornerthree 1/31/23 7:15 PM

Madison international Speedway in Wisconsin. Big high banked half mile covered with dirt for a few years in the 80's. WOO great race Jac Doug and Sammy.

sprintracer82 1/31/23 7:23 PM

You are correct. There wasn't any straightaway and you just exited the track where ever you wanted. I ran there once. You just kinda kept the throttle at a certain point and just kept the car Sideways. It was the only top soil track I've ever raced. It
Was really fun.
Nick Landon

TQ29m 1/31/23 7:29 PM

Hales Corner, mid 70s, gone now I hear.

bighd0522 1/31/23 8:31 PM

Autoklene raceway Hobart Tasmania

TQ29m 1/31/23 8:46 PM

25th St fairgrounds and Columbus Motor Speedway, late 40s, early 50s, Columbus, In.

Joe Schaub 1/31/23 9:30 PM

Knoxville. Not talking Knoxville, Iowa. I'm talking about Knoxville, IL. Went there in 2010 with a friend and his team to run a 360 Sprint Invaders race during the Knox County Fair. Horrible track surface but actually turned out to be an okay race. Matt ran 2nd that night.

itsanonwingthing 1/31/23 11:18 PM

November 4, 2012 Charlestown Motor Speedway, Charlestown, Indiana, (winners: Logan Hupp #9 sprints, Nick Spiedel #21 TQ's). :22:

oppweld 2/1/23 12:01 AM

Two more,Cotton Bowl Speedway Byhalia MS and Memphis Motorsports Park the 1/2
mile. Attended the very first at MMP won by Tony Armstrong in the MCbride Shoff 23s.

openwheelfan1 2/1/23 1:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoDramazone2020 (Post 561620)
Queen City Speedway in Cincy and old Dayton Speedway. Many of the old timers here may have seen a race or two here....I was at both, but I was a young lad at the time....Just remember how fast Dayton was even back then....

Old Illiana Speedway was a flat half mile I believe....night races were an adventure because it was so dark you could not see from one end of the track to the other.

I’ve actually seen USAC sprints at all three of these. I’m proud to say that I’ve seen USAC sprint cars at all three of the “modern” hills, Salem, Winchester and Dayton.

markd 2/1/23 9:43 AM

SCRA at Highland Speedway and the late Godfrey Speedway in IL. in 2003

Vertigo 2/1/23 10:52 AM

WOO at the Indy Mile. Greg Hognett clipped the inner rail in turn one and went for a 160 mph flip that took out several other cars. I don't think the WOO ever went back there.

A couple of one-offs:Wingless sprints at Martin Co Speedway in Loogootee, IN which was a bomber track.
Winged sprints at the high-banked Greene Co Speedway when it was run by Ray Godsey of Indiana late model fame.

All three tracks are closed now.

Dale 2/1/23 10:54 AM

Outlaws at West Plains. Back when Sammy was in the ChannelLock with the chrome plated vise in the trailer. Track was remarkably tacky for red clay. Rural crowd, some ladies wearing dresses and men in overalls. Jack Miller was the announcer.

revjimk 2/1/23 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn (Post 561614)
Canaan Speedway in Canaan, New Hampshire Think I went there twice. Its closed now I think.

Bear Ridge Speedway Bradford Vermont Saw sprints there once. Only time I ever slept in my own bed after watching sprint cars when I lived in Maine.

If it hadnt rained the final night in 197 I could have added Beech Ridge Speedway in Scarborough Maine. It rained out and that was going to be the last time for sprint cars there. It got sold last year and is now closed.....

Yea, I went to Canaan once myself. Track surface appeared to be cinders.... missed the winning pass on Turn 4 cause of the cloud of black dust.
I still want to hit Bear Ridge some day.....:31:

revjimk 2/1/23 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighd0522 (Post 561633)
autoklene raceway hobart tasmania

da winna!!! :22: