IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Usac Format (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=70599)

Mattmac05 7/15/13 12:37 AM

Usac Format

I was wondering how usac does their lineups? I noticed someone transferred from the b main and started in the top ten for the feature, but someone transferred to the feature straight from the heat race by finishing 2nd in the heat but started around 20th in the feature? Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

B99 7/15/13 12:42 AM

They get their qual time back and that's how they lineup the main

Posted via Mobile Device

Mattmac05 7/15/13 1:47 AM

I don't really think it is completely fair especially with 52 cars. The cars that draw in back for qualifying have a distinct disadvantage because of the fading track conditions. So if you qualify bad, but finish well in the heat you will start in the back whereas someone qualifies well but does poorly in the heat but transfers to the feature via the B main starts upfront. I just think the way you qualify controls to much of your night especially since the qualification process is so unfair. Jmo

Posted via Mobile Device

5JMOFFATTFAN! 7/15/13 1:56 AM

Re: Usac Format

Best you can do is start 7th if you come out of the b ballou had quick time and ran b thats why he started 7th but yes the whole format sucks

Posted via Mobile Device

Charles Nungester 7/15/13 2:02 AM

It sucks so bad three tracks have almost sold out...

:44:

Mattmac05 7/15/13 2:04 AM

Kokomo's format is best... IMO . Qualify with your heat and start the feature based on your heat finish

Posted via Mobile Device

Mattmac05 7/15/13 2:06 AM

It's not that it isn't interesting too watch it is sprint week what else is there to go watch or race and the drivers have to race usac to really get noticed. It just is a huge disadvantage if you go out to qualify in the back.

Posted via Mobile Device

Hotshoe65s 7/15/13 2:10 AM

The format isn't very fair, and doesn't promote good racing. Was at LPS for a USAC show and Clayton started towards back of heat and drove to the front and won, but then started at the back of the feature. He put on a show in the heat but that's because he is darron clayton, he drives the heck out of it every lap. A lot of guys will just make laps and transfer knowing they will get their time back for the feature. Makes the heat race pointless. Why not just lock in the top so many qualifiers and then run a semi. The format now just screws over the racer. Might as well load up if you junk your qualifying lap.

Posted via Mobile Device

Mattmac05 7/15/13 2:16 AM

Exactly and you could have a good car it's just you can't compete with someone who goes out first on a tacky track and you go out last on a dry slick track. So what is the point of winning the heat if you qualify bad?

Posted via Mobile Device

BeerCloud 7/15/13 4:18 AM

maybe just the semi winner should get their time back. The rest lineup in back of the feature.

But with that being said.........

Shane Cottle came from tenth to finish fourth in the Epperson Painting – Leer Racing #2 Spike/Claxton, and Bryan Clauson rounded out the top-five after starting 11th in the Tony Stewart/Curb-Agajanian Racing – Chevy Performance #20 Beast/Kistler. ProSource “Fast Qualifier” Robert Ballou ended up ninth, while Jon Stanbrough took home the ProSource “Hard Charger Award” after climbing from 20th to finish 11th. Hunter Schuerenberg continues to lead the way for the B&W Auto Mart “Josh Burton Hard Charger Award” after gaining eight positions in the feature.

oldfan49 7/15/13 7:29 AM

There is no perfect format. You could be where we are and have it done by pill draw where it always seems the fastest cars start on the front row of both the heats and feature. Or else you have one loaded heat and drawing to the back of that heat means your night is basically done.
I'm having a hard time remembering a time I saw cars in a USAC heat riding around in the heat. I think they all have seen way too many times when looses 2 or 3 spots in the last half of the last lap.
I am mixed on the B feature cars getting to start as high as 7th. Personally I think the cars that transfer out of the heats should be locked into the top 16 but it is way better than what we have

thebus79h 7/15/13 3:10 PM

I used to severely dislike the format.

Anymore, I really like it. You cannot sandbag. If you sandbag, you could miss the heats completely and really screw your night. Or you can sandbag just perfect to get the front row, but then you're still going to have to start in the back of the feature.

Racing is about the complete package, qualifying, heat races, semi's, and features are all part of it. Only thing that stinks is when the track fades really fast with that many cars, Jerry Coons Jr. at Gas City was a perfect example of bit by the format, he was fast all night except for qualifying when the track went to junk. Not his fault, just the format.

Mattmac05 7/15/13 3:24 PM

I agree racing is about the whole package. But you shouldn't base someone's whole night on qualifying when the last few people have such a disadvantage. That is why I like Kokomo's format.

Posted via Mobile Device

kcarm92 7/15/13 3:36 PM

Summer nationals lt model format 50 cars 5 heats you hot lap and gualify with the same cars not again other 40 cars that way if track changes 1/2 second between firzt and last group dosnt matter :BUT thats not the usac way.

Posted via Mobile Device

treecitytornado 7/15/13 3:41 PM

I'd rather have a chance to qualify over just a draw for your Heat Race starting spot any day! That's the way we used to do weekly shows everywhere too, not just USAC or WoO! Qualifying is supposed to mean a lot when you run with the big boys! USAC and WoO or NASCAR and IndyCar!

Posted via Mobile Device

Mattmac05 7/15/13 3:59 PM

How can you say qualifying should mean a lot? You cannot honestly send out 50 plus cars and get an accurate reading on who is fastest. When you do it the way they do it dosent show who is fastest, it shows who had the best track conditions. I don't know the details on Woo's format and NASCAR and Indycar is pavement and the track conditions don't change as drastically as a dirt track.

Posted via Mobile Device

PAW 7/15/13 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattmac05 (Post 342320)
How can you say qualifying should mean a lot? You cannot honestly send out 50 plus cars and get an accurate reading on who is fastest. When you do it the way they do it dosent show who is fastest, it shows who had the best track conditions. I don't know the details on Woo's format and NASCAR and Indycar is pavement and the track conditions don't change as drastically as a dirt track.

Posted via Mobile Device

Don't like it don't go! I've seen guys come out last or near the end and set fast time, a lot...

Posted via Mobile Device

sp6967 7/15/13 4:12 PM

maybe the program should start after dark so the track is better for longer period of time or maybe the promoters should do a better job of track prep.........or........or......this could go on for a while.

treecitytornado 7/15/13 5:18 PM

Pavement does change too! Sun, cloudy, hotter track temp, cooler track temp. What I am saying is, there is still luck involved there too. When Bloomington used to qualify weekly, you wanted to go out late! I went out 2nd to last qualifier and set fast time on a particular night. It just depends.

Posted via Mobile Device

Mattmac05 7/15/13 5:22 PM

There truly is no perfect system. My biggest problem is that someone who comes out of the b main can start in front of someone who makes it straight from the heat. I also believe the good cars and drivers will pass plenty of cars and may come out with a decent finish but it is very hard to come from 20th, no matter how good your car is and win especially during ISW. So if you prove that you are fast in the heat, than why should you have to start in the back of the feature.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rpracing1 7/15/13 5:27 PM

Laying down a good qualifying lap is very important part of the puzzle. This system rewards a good qualifying effort. As qualifying is a traditional part of sprint car racing. And it appears to work very well.

oldfan49 7/15/13 7:16 PM

If you have more heats you either have to take fewer cars from the heats or fewer cars from the B(s). I like the fact they take more than 2 cars from the B(s). I see many races where if you draw bad, qualify bad, or break in your heat and you start at the back of a B taking 2 cars your night is pretty much over. With USACS format guys can still race their way back in although I think they should start 17th at best.

They have a mod race just north of here where you draw your heat starting position. They run 10 heats of 8 to 10 cars and only the winner makes the main and make up the 1st five rows. Every one left does it again the 2nd night and the 10 winners make up rows 6-10. then they run alphabet features with 2 transferring to the next. You end up watching runaway heats and basically the pill draw has as much or more to do with who wins as racing talent. ( it does pay $1000.00 to start the main though). That race is definite proof you can have too many cars and too many cars make the quality of racing go down.

Bottom line is the USAC format is probably the fairest and hands down gives the most balanced heats (and best heat race quality race in and race out) of any format I have seen over the last 50+ years.

The top 24 make the invert, 8 more make the row behind them. The top teams are pretty much always in the top 24 no matter how late they draw unless they break or just miss the setup which would put them out anyway you do it and they are definitely going to be in the top 32 without bad luck.

And I can't even start to count the times that when everyone says the track is gone and some guy pushes off all elbows up and turns that fast time that every one says was impossible and sets the crowd on fire.

robert gatten 7/15/13 7:53 PM

I like it just the way it is EXCEPT I think if you come out of B main you should start on the tail of A.

DaveP63 7/16/13 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert gatten (Post 342365)
I like it just the way it is EXCEPT I think if you come out of B main you should start on the tail of A.

Yep. I think it was set up that way in the "old days" so that USAC regulars running the B wouldn't be stuck in the back. Just what I was told about 30+ years ago :32:

19racer 7/16/13 5:38 PM

Go back to last year at Kokomo for a reg show. Bryan Clauson transfers from heat has motor issues and has to roll out the back up car. Starts dead last in the 25 lap a main and wins the feature. Look at the smackdown last year. Saw 3 great night of racing in a row with the winners coming at least mid pack. USAC format works for them just as Kokomo group hotlaps/qualifying does for them. I seen guys go faster then slower as night goes. Enjoy the racing while we can. First half year lot has been rained out and before you know it the season will be over

Posted via Mobile Device