IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Larson (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=115949)

reeserx 1/23/21 11:46 PM

Larson

He does it again in a late model. Absolutely dominates for his 2nd feature win. 15 second lead. Greatest driver I’ll ever see in my life time.....

nathans1012 1/24/21 12:43 AM

Re: Larson

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeserx (Post 536644)
He does it again in a late model. Absolutely dominates for his 2nd feature win. 15 second lead. Greatest driver I’ll ever see in my life time.....

He did great. He won the race at All Tech Raceway tonight in Lake City, Florida by 15.8 seconds on a sicker then $h!t track where the average lap in the A-Main was around 21 seconds. He won his heat race over a couple of seasoned drivers Jonathan Davenport being one of them. Started 6th in the feature and took the lead from Tyler Erb on lap 14. The race went flag to flag green to checkers. Me being a late model and modified guy I've seen the very best in late models over the years. The thing that has helped him the most is the car that he is in. The #6 Rumley car is as good of a team and equipment as you can get and a very good and well traveled crew that knows how to set one up. No disrespect but on a sprint car there's only some much you can adjust. On a late model or Mod there are about 25-30 different thing you can adjust. He has done very good on two slick track at Port Royal & All Tech. Would like to see him on a tacky track. He's said something not to long ago about coming to Fairbury American Legion Speedway in Fairbury, Illinois in late July for the $50,000 to win Would Of Outlaws Late Model Series sanctioned Prairie Dirt Classic since NASCAR is off that weekend. As many times as I've been to Fairbury that would be one hell of a track for Kyle to get his feet wet in a late model on a tacky as you can get 1/4 mile black dirt track surface with some of the very best late model and modified drivers in the country. He's fun to watch and entertaining. The guy has some serious talent and you can see it.

chathamracefan 1/24/21 9:59 AM

He won the outlaw show at Fairbury 2 years ago. I think he’d do fine in the late model.

Without doubt the best dirt racer presently active.

95KART 1/24/21 11:22 AM

I heard in an interview that Larson is planning on running around 20 late model races this year. Any bets on how many he wins? I'll say 18.

IndianaSprintFan 1/24/21 11:57 AM

You take the 18 or over and I’ll take the under. You name the Price. Lol. Dude is a legend but let’s not get carried away.

jonboat15 1/24/21 12:11 PM

Larson's talent level runs deep, real deep. I'm kinda glad not to see him at some races. Reminds me of the mid 80's when Wolfgang and Weikert were together, whenever they pulled into the track all you could think about was who would finish second that night. I'm not a nascar watcher but I hope Kyle stays there and kicks some butt, seems like he might have the right equipment now.

mc/rider 1/24/21 12:14 PM

Indy

95KART 1/24/21 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaSprintFan (Post 536654)
You take the 18 or over and I’ll take the under. You name the Price. Lol. Dude is a legend but let’s not get carried away.

Okay maybe 18 is a little high, but I would expect him to win more than not. I mean he had a 15 second lead last night, that's about .5s a lap faster than 2nd place. It's impressive if the leader can run a tenth faster a lap, 5 tenths is on another level.

flagboy55 1/24/21 12:41 PM

If you don’t understand the talent of this man you’re in denial. One of the best ever. I found an article somewhere from some racing analytics site. It talked about his time in Cup and basically stated that any success that he had in the series was attributed to Kyle himself. He carried the team. No disrespect to Matt Kenseth but this past season lack of competitiveness pretty much bears that out. We’re lucky to witness such talent. I’m with M/C though, hope some day we see him in the greatest spectacle in racing!

revjimk 1/24/21 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaSprintFan (Post 536654)

Agreed. 10 wins would be impressive!

revjimk 1/24/21 1:47 PM

I'm guessing he skipped Wild Wings race cause he's mastered sprint cars & needs a new challenge? :9:

95KART 1/24/21 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 536666)
I'm guessing he skipped Wild Wings race cause he's mastered sprint cars & needs a new challenge? :9:

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like Rico Abreu was in Paul Silva's car so maybe the three of them made the arrangement to let Rico race? Or Larson was already committed to the late model race.

ISF 1/24/21 2:30 PM

There may be a whiff of skepticism in post #2 as to Larson's ability to be competitive at Fairbury in a dirt late model. Not sure why that is. As was also mentioned above he did quite well at Fairbury on both occasions that he has raced there. The first time he had ever seen FALS he set a NTR that lasted for about 5 minutes and has the second fastest lap ever turned at Fairbury on the modern configuration of the track. He wound up running 2nd in 2018 on a rubbered up mess of a track and won at FALS in 2019. Despite the skepticism it's a safe bet that young Mr. Larson can be competitive on a tacky version of FALS driving a DLM.

I live in the belly of the DLM beast in Illinois and there is no shortage of discredit and animosity for an upstart interloper among the local fandom towards a dirt open wheel/NASCAR driver that has the talent to put a serious whoopin' on DLM butt!

nathans1012 1/24/21 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISF (Post 536670)
There may be a whiff of skepticism in post #2 as to Larson's ability to be competitive at Fairbury in a dirt late model. Not sure why that is. As was also mentioned above he did quite well at Fairbury on both occasions that he has raced there. The first time he had ever seen FALS he set a NTR that lasted for about 5 minutes and has the second fastest lap ever turned at Fairbury on the modern configuration of the track. He wound up running 2nd in 2018 on a rubbered up mess of a track and won at FALS in 2019. Despite the skepticism it's a safe bet that young Mr. Larson can be competitive on a tacky version of FALS driving a DLM.

I live in the belly of the DLM beast in Illinois and there is no shortage of discredit and animosity for an upstart interloper among the local fandom towards a dirt open wheel/NASCAR driver that has the talent to put a serious whoopin' on DLM butt!

I think you may have red to much into what I was trying to say.
Not so much skepticism.
But knowing the #6 car.
Lee Roy (R.I.P.) & Kevin Rumley are the main reason that car is so damn fast no matter who they put in it.
That team has mastered the slick track set up no matter what track they show up at.
Look back at 2015 season when Jonathan Davenport was it that car.
Won almost $750,000 during that season and dominated almost every race they entered.
Look at who has been it that car over the last 5-6 years and look at the results.
Put Larson in a local racers car.
Kyle has even said he's struggling to get the car to turn when their is traction.
He won on a slick track but, that in itself takes great car control and he displayed he has that.
Bar none Kyle has my respect PERIOD.
Probably gets more out of a car is a better analogy to how good he is.
Speed doesn't just come from the driver alone; it also comes from the set up under it.
I would absolutely love to see Kyle get a chance at Eldora for the World 100 Weekend and a couple of other big Dirt Late Model races if ever given the chance on a NASCAR off weekend.
That would be fun to watch. :32:

dirtracer74 1/24/21 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95KART (Post 536668)
I was wondering the same thing. Looks like Rico Abreu was in Paul Silva's car so maybe the three of them made the arrangement to let Rico race? Or Larson was already committed to the late model race.

That is not Paul Silva's #57 that Rico is in. That car is owned by Works Limited, but forget the actual owners name. Paul Silva is the crew chief on the Works Limited #57.

The Silva/ Larsen owned #57 is on stand by for when Kyle will be racing.

95KART 1/24/21 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtracer74 (Post 536675)
That is not Paul Silva's #57 that Rico is in. That car is owned by Works Limited, but forget the actual owners name. Paul Silva is the crew chief on the Works Limited #57.

The Silva/ Larsen owned #57 is on stand by for when Kyle will be racing.

Okay, thank you for clearing that up. I saw that white #57 and started jumping to conclusions.

Wayne Davis 1/24/21 4:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathans1012 (Post 536646)
He did great. He won the race at All Tech Raceway tonight in Lake City, Florida by 15.8 seconds on a sicker then $h!t track where the average lap in the A-Main was around 21 seconds. He won his heat race over a couple of seasoned drivers Jonathan Davenport being one of them. Started 6th in the feature and took the lead from Tyler Erb on lap 14. The race went flag to flag green to checkers. Me being a late model and modified guy I've seen the very best in late models over the years. The thing that has helped him the most is the car that he is in. The #6 Rumley car is as good of a team and equipment as you can get and a very good and well traveled crew that knows how to set one up. it.

Oh wow were do I start...

1st. I was there and the track was not slick...All Tech has been my home track since 1974 as I put in many many volunteered hours to help build this track and have as many laps on it as anyone.

2nd. The surface is Grey Gumbo clay and it stays very tacky. I was on the track all night as I was help Wendell (track Mgr) out with my side x side with fire bottles. I was in victory lane and the track had plenty of bite still in it.

3rd. He did lap up to 8th but if this would have been 75 laps or even 60 laps he would have got to 4/5 place. Moran was in turn 2 when Larson took the checkered. 5th-6th-7th and 8th was going into turn 1 and Larson was at the flag stand.

4th. as far as Rumley goes, yes he is very smart and good but when Davenport was driving for him he had the "DEVICE" (now outlawed) on the left rear that help that car in the corners. I did an interview with him yesterday on my facebook page..

5th. EVERYONE had $250,000.00 haulers 4-6 crew members, spare cars and money NO object. Rumley had his 2017 dually with a 32' tag trailer 1 car and 2 crew guys..no that don't mean alot to most but his team is not WELL funded like everyone else is.

6th. The DRIVE...Larson just went out there and whipped everyone's ass and I quote from Brandon Sheppard, "I have had my ass handed to me before but never this bad, that was just an ole behind the woodshed ass whopping tonight."

Sum this up, I was in turn 2 and seen Larson put that car many places no one else did. Like him or not he is or will be one if not the greatest racers ever and he is only 26. I talked with Kyle 3/4 times and yes he has 95 races scheduled with cup/midget/sprint and latemodels and Fairbury is one of them. Nathan, 20 of them will be in a latemodel. No non wing sprint cars fellows...dang it!!

Lot of HEAVY HITTERS he lapped...not 1 car fell out Kyle start 6th and won by 15.895 seconds, the pole last night was Tyler Erb 16.879

1 6 6 Kyle Larson Elk Grove, CA $15,000
2 3 9 Devin Moran Dresden, OH $7,200
3 8 157 Mike Marlar Winfield, TN $3,500
4 13 20 Jimmy Owens Newport, TN $4,100
5 9 1S Brandon Sheppard New Berlin, IL $2,500
6 1 1T Tyler Erb New Waverly, TX $2,600
7 7 22 Gregg Satterlee Indiana, PA $1,700
8 18 49 Jonathan Davenport Blairsville, GA $2,400
9 4 40B Kyle Bronson Brandon, FL $2,250
10 2 76 Brandon Overton Evans, GA $1,500
11 12 56JR Tony Jackson Jr Lebanon, MO $1,450
12 11 18J Chase Junghans Manhattan, KS $1,400
13 5 3S Brian Shirley Chatham, IL $1,350
14 14 25 Shane Clanton Zebulon, GA $2,000
15 20 0E Rick Eckert York, PA $1,200
16 19 00S Jesse Stovall Billings, MO $1,100
17 16 1 Earl Pearson Jr Jacksonville, FL $1,800
18 21 14 Josh Richards Shinnston, WV $1,800
19 17 71 Hudson O'Neal Martinsville, IN $1,000
20 15 39 Tim McCreadie Watertown, NY $1,700
21 22 99JR Frank Heckenast Jr Frankfort, IL $1,000
22 24 21 Billy Moyer Jr Batesville, AR $1,700
23 10 8 Kyle Strickler Mooresville, NC $1,000
24 23 81E Tanner English Benton, KY $1,700
25 25 2S Stormy Scott

nathans1012 1/24/21 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne davis (Post 536681)
oh wow were do i start...

1st. I was there and the track was not slick...all tech has been my home track since 1974 as i put in many many volunteered hours to help build this track and have as many laps on it as anyone.

2nd. The surface is grey gumbo clay and it stays very tacky. I was on the track all night as i was help wendell (track mgr) out with my side x side with fire bottles. I was in victory lane and the track had plenty of bite still in it.

3rd. He did lap up to 8th but if this would have been 75 laps or even 60 laps he would have got to 4/5 place. Moran was in turn 2 when larson took the checkered. 5th-6th-7th and 8th was going into turn 1 and larson was at the flag stand.

4th. As far as rumley goes, yes he is very smart and good but when davenport was driving for him he had the "device" (now outlawed) on the left rear that help that car in the corners. I did an interview with him yesterday on my facebook page..

5th. Everyone had $250,000.00 haulers 4-6 crew members, spare cars and money no object. Rumley had his 2017 dually with a 32' tag trailer 1 car and 2 crew guys..no that don't mean alot to most but his team is not well funded like everyone else is.

6th. The drive...larson just went out there and whipped everyone's ass and i quote from brandon sheppard, "i have had my ass handed to me before but never this bad, that was just an ole behind the woodshed ass whopping tonight."

sum this up, i was in turn 2 and seen larson put that car many places no one else did. Like him or not he is or will be one if not the greatest racers ever and he is only 26. I talked with kyle 3/4 times and yes he has 95 races scheduled with cup/midget/sprint and latemodels and fairbury is one of them. Nathan, 20 of them will be in a latemodel. No non wing sprint cars fellows...dang it!!

Lot of heavy hitters he lapped...not 1 car fell out kyle start 6th and won by 15.895 seconds, the pole last night was tyler erb 16.879

1 6 6 kyle larson elk grove, ca $15,000
2 3 9 devin moran dresden, oh $7,200
3 8 157 mike marlar winfield, tn $3,500
4 13 20 jimmy owens newport, tn $4,100
5 9 1s brandon sheppard new berlin, il $2,500
6 1 1t tyler erb new waverly, tx $2,600
7 7 22 gregg satterlee indiana, pa $1,700
8 18 49 jonathan davenport blairsville, ga $2,400
9 4 40b kyle bronson brandon, fl $2,250
10 2 76 brandon overton evans, ga $1,500
11 12 56jr tony jackson jr lebanon, mo $1,450
12 11 18j chase junghans manhattan, ks $1,400
13 5 3s brian shirley chatham, il $1,350
14 14 25 shane clanton zebulon, ga $2,000
15 20 0e rick eckert york, pa $1,200
16 19 00s jesse stovall billings, mo $1,100
17 16 1 earl pearson jr jacksonville, fl $1,800
18 21 14 josh richards shinnston, wv $1,800
19 17 71 hudson o'neal martinsville, in $1,000
20 15 39 tim mccreadie watertown, ny $1,700
21 22 99jr frank heckenast jr frankfort, il $1,000
22 24 21 billy moyer jr batesville, ar $1,700
23 10 8 kyle strickler mooresville, nc $1,000
24 23 81e tanner english benton, ky $1,700
25 25 2s stormy scott

:32: Wayne you obviously didn't read my last post above. Also like many others I watched the entire show. I never said anything about being well funded. It's not always about being a well funded team. The 4 combo of car, driver, team, & set up plays a lot of into how the night goes. I'M not denying his talent. He's exceptional behind the wheel and i do root for him! I do believe he had help with the set up under that car. Kevin Rumley is what I call a dirt late model set up genius. Years ago it was about 70 % driver & 30% car. Now a days it pretty much the other way around with I'd say 60% car & 40% driver. I do believe Larson though just might be the exception to that being 50% / 50%.

jdull99 1/25/21 1:32 AM

Wayne, GREAT info & I trust its ALL 100% spot on...BUT he is actually 28...will be 29 in July...either way, I can't imagine he has peaked yet and we should all be thankful we have got to watch him for the last 13years...

miledirt 1/25/21 8:57 AM

Anyone know if Kyle's dirt (LM and winged sprint) schedule is out anywhere?

Good to know he's going to Fairbury

Dirt Track Cowboy 1/25/21 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95KART (Post 536651)
I heard in an interview that Larson is planning on running around 20 late model races this year. Any bets on how many he wins? I'll say 18.

Dude is among the greatest dirt track drivers we have EVER seen but I think anyone in their right mind will take that bet from you my friend. Keep in mind he was awful last year in his two LM races after winning at Port Royal. He will probably win 5-8 if he runs 20 maybe a few more but he won't dominate they guys in the Lucas Oil Late Model to the point of where he wins nearly every race, ZERO chance he wins 18 out of 20.

95KART 1/25/21 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirt Track Cowboy (Post 536700)
Dude is among the greatest dirt track drivers we have EVER seen but I think anyone in their right mind will take that bet from you my friend. Keep in mind he was awful last year in his two LM races after winning at Port Royal. He will probably win 5-8 if he runs 20 maybe a few more but he won't dominate they guys in the Lucas Oil Late Model to the point of where he wins nearly every race, ZERO chance he wins 18 out of 20.

Yeah I realized I exaggerated that a little bit. I honestly don't follow dirt late model racing that much, but I was curious to watch that race and was amazed at how dominant Larson was. I would rather see him racing sprint cars or midgets but props to him for trying something different and being successful right off the bat.

ISF 1/25/21 11:48 AM

One thing is obvious, there is a degree of veiled contempt and even a little resentment directed towards Larson (we've seen it here) for making his successes in a DLM look rather easy.

Given that I've been attending racing events at Fairbury since the age of 8 or 9 and have been involved back in the day with a multiple time DLM track championship team there, believe me when I say, the fandom is extremely tribal. There will be a significant portion of those in attendance who desperately hope Larson "the go cart/tumble buggy/NASCRAP driver" doesn't run well. Already heard it many times just since Saturday night.

Dirt Track Cowboy 1/25/21 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISF (Post 536706)
One thing is obvious, there is a degree of veiled contempt and even a little resentment directed towards Larson (we've seen it here) for making his successes in a DLM look rather easy.

Given that I've been attending racing events at Fairbury since the age of 8 or 9 and have been involved back in the day with a multiple time DLM track championship team there, believe me when I say, the fandom is extremely tribal. There will be a significant portion of those in attendance who desperately hope Larson "the go cart/tumble buggy/NASCRAP driver" doesn't run well. Already heard it many times just since Saturday night.

Larson's domination lately is sure to create a kinda love/hate passion for him among traditional dirt track fans and even some drivers. Anytime someone from the "outside" even though he has a LONG history of dirt track racing comes in and wins every race it won't go over well. Dude is talented as hell and seems to be a great down to Earth guy from every interview I've seen....He's good for the sport in my opinion.