IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Could USAC do it? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=125033)

addictedtodirt 1/31/24 9:38 PM

Could USAC do it?

Lucas Oil Late Model series about to pull off a two hour show from Bubba's. Could USAC do this? Usually seems to be a 3 hr minimum.

interpreter66 1/31/24 9:55 PM

Re: Could USAC do it?

Nope

Charles Nungester 1/31/24 10:08 PM

I've been watchng over three hours now.

addictedtodirt 1/31/24 10:12 PM

Quals and what? National anthem to start the heats went off at 720. Still running the main with time to spare.

addictedtodirt 1/31/24 10:26 PM

Lack luster show IMO. Not much passing and no real surprise moves. 6 tunder stocks helped to move the show along when USAC typically gets 40+ mod lites. Can't say the racing has me excited to roll south for the winter dirt games.

yeleyfan76 1/31/24 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addictedtodirt (Post 571923)
Lucas Oil Late Model series about to pull off a two hour show from Bubba's. Could USAC do this? Usually seems to be a 3 hr minimum.

This is a rhetorical question correct?
Last nites show moved quicker then tonite. With the brand new surface looking just like the old surface I’m not hopeful for great racing. Save your money and maybe try one of the other trips made possible by the schedule.

addictedtodirt 1/31/24 11:05 PM

I'll have to agree. After 11 years of attending winter dirt games, I'm looking further into the USAC schedule as to what events I'll shell out $ for. Right now it's Gettysburg and the Eastern Storm.

yeleyfan76 1/31/24 11:11 PM

It will great to see ya. Hope you got ur EZ Pass and load it up for the trip. We were on the way to Red Dirt in Okla last year. When they rained out as we were in Arkansas we turned left and went down to the beach on the Gulf in Mississippi. Can’t do that this year but the Texas/Ark trip looks possible. Stay warm. Opening day in Pa is a month away.

nodramazone20 2/1/24 3:41 PM

The Late Model sanctioning bodies understand how to push a program.....The drivers meeting is usually hour ahead of cars on track and everyone in attendance knows the deal...Plus, this time of year in Florida your always dealing with cool temps, so why subject the paying customer to a dragged out program while they are freezing....well done LOLMDS

DJlives 2/1/24 5:57 PM

USAC has ran very efficient shows for years now yet somehow the narrative remains that they drag matters out. Kirk Spridgeon keeps track of the length of every USAC show and takes that very seriously.

interpreter66 2/1/24 8:48 PM

See below

interpreter66 2/1/24 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJlives (Post 571945)
USAC has ran very efficient shows for years now yet somehow the narrative remains that they drag matters out. Kirk Spridgeon keeps track of the length of every USAC show and takes that very seriously.

Usually it is the support classes that drag it out,unless you have 6 cars and Rich Pratt is the show! :3:

Chief Wahoo 2/1/24 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by interpreter66 (Post 571956)
Usually it is the support classes that drag it out,unless you have 6 cars and Rich Pratt is the show! :3:

That was some good stuff!

Stevensville Mike 2/1/24 9:50 PM

The announcers on Flo on Tuesday Night (1/30) at Ocala pointed out as the green flag flew for the Lucas Oil Late Models A Main, it was 8:30 p.m. EST.

Charles Nungester 2/1/24 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 571958)
The announcers on Flo on Tuesday Night (1/30) at Ocala pointed out as the green flag flew for the Lucas Oil Late Models A Main, it was 8:30 p.m. EST.

Started at 5:30

Stevensville Mike 2/2/24 9:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 571962)
Started at 5:30

I guess it all gets down to what one wants to call the start, eh? Hot laps? Quals? First heat? Either way it was quick work aided by an early start. A Tuesday Night might have had something to do with it, too.

But after attending many versions of the Timex 24 Hours at Butler over the years wherein I grew a beard from hot laps to the end of the show, I appreciate a fast moving program.

The Old Coyote 2/2/24 9:58 AM

But after attending many versions of the Timex 24 Hours at Butler over the years wherein I grew a beard from hot laps to the end of the show, I appreciate a fast moving program.[/QUOTE]

Back in the eighties when NASCRAP was actually racing, we used to go to the Rockingham 500, where it was like the 24 hours of Rockingham. Even when they cut it to 400 miles, it wasn't much different. None the less, that was a great track.

Stevensville Mike 2/2/24 10:42 PM

I can vividly remember about 10-12 years ago getting in my van to leave Butler after the sprint feature. It was 1:45 a.m. As I was climbing in, I could hear the speakers from the track. They were waving the green flag for the modified feature.

openwheelfan1 2/2/24 10:57 PM

I can remember in the 70’s showing up at Terre Haute and yes, Eldora at 11:00 AM for noon hot laps, and the feature getting the checkers at 7:00 PM. In today’s world, any show that lasts longer than about 3-3.5 hrs. From start of hot laps to conclusion of the event is too long. People just won’t tolerate anything much longer than that.

sp6967 2/3/24 8:26 AM

people's attention span these days is only as long as a 15 second tik tok video.

BrentTFunk 2/5/24 9:43 AM

Fridays Lucas Oil race at All Tech was over at midnight. Pretty late for a show where all cars had starters.

JakeCroxton 2/5/24 1:08 PM

I supposed that 1:22 minute show during Gas City sprint week where we beat the tornadoes and had the semi transfers/feature lineup to the trailer before the cars were off the track from the semi doesn't count...right...

I also remember every time I was down there...there were 60 Mod Lites for their speedweeks championship. We always ran like we had rain coming, whether we had rain coming or not...

yeleyfan76 2/5/24 1:41 PM

I’m reading a lot of jabbing about how long the shows are for cars with starters and without. I’m reading about how the narrative is bad about the Usac show even-though the guy in charge is serious. I’m reading about support classes and the like. What I’m not reading is about how wonderful the series we all love to watch is going to race for big big money. Lolmds has 12 shows at 50gs, WoOlmds 3 at 50k and 3 at 35k. I wanna read about these guys running for that kind of money. Not reading how a perennial champ who is trying for a 5th title needs sponsorship for Florida from one of his competitors. I wanna read about how these guys are popular nationally. Not reading about someone wanting the schedule to be mainly located in one state for a National series. This season I feel the series gets around a bunch even with losing the Cali/Az races for the second season and probably for a while. The only area that gets multiple shows is Indiana and I just wish I would read how the crowds for USAC sprint races were huge.
This Friday starts a new season. After that late models and non wing sprints will be on different paths for different money. IMO the racing in SLM racing isn’t the greatest. Start fast cars up front and hope for Moran,RTJ, and Terbo to time poorly so maybe there is passing? I’d hope the racing this year is tight with 15 teams following the tour, we will see. Just wish we were talking about big purses and not the things I mentioned.

mlamb 2/5/24 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeCroxton (Post 572040)
I supposed that 1:22 minute show during Gas City sprint week where we beat the tornadoes and had the semi transfers/feature lineup to the trailer before the cars were off the track from the semi doesn't count...right...

Nor would the extremely fast ISW show Brady Short won at Brownstown Speedway when storms were looming.

Personally I have issues with extremely long drawn out programs at certain race tracks more so than a USAC events.
I understand I live in an imperfect world and things happen many times out of control. (I don’t like 27 classes of cars per night) But I understand at track has to do what a track
has to do to survive .But I don’t have to attend. While I don’t like leaving early II also understand this is an option for me if I need to use it.
Racing will never be perfect and I accept that. IMy butt your butt in that seat still is important. I’ll support them when I can.

ThrowbackRacingTeam 2/7/24 2:05 PM

Can’t remember any time I went to a race hoping to leave as soon as possible.

Grocery Guy 2/7/24 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam (Post 572093)
Can’t remember any time I went to a race hoping to leave as soon as possible.

But I can surely remember the tracks that I have gone to that are unprepared on regular nights, start late, take excessive intermissions and run features past 10:30pm or 11pm at night. If I'm in the minority than I must be alone. There are lots of other places I can spend my discretionary money. Been a race fan since the late 60's and it's disappointing there are tracks that still operate like this. Hoping for a great 2024 season. 🏁

racefan20 2/7/24 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grocery Guy (Post 572095)
But I can surely remember the tracks that I have gone to that are unprepared on regular nights, start late, take excessive intermissions and run features past 10:30pm or 11pm at night. If I'm in the minority than I must be alone. There are lots of other places I can spend my discretionary money. Been a race fan since the late 60's and it's disappointing there are tracks that still operate like this. Hoping for a great 2024 season. 🏁

You are not alone.

motorhead748 2/8/24 8:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grocery Guy (Post 572095)

You are not alone. Plenty of times I’ve left early for a variety of reasons.
There is a track about 2 hours from me. I enjoy the track but the operation of it is horrible. They’ll advertise a 7:30 start but I can typically wait to leave home until then and make the 2 hour ride to get there and not miss 1 race.

BrentTFunk 2/10/24 10:12 AM

Friday nights race was over at 9:30 at Ocala. that included 2 very long crash clean ups. Pretty solid.

ossuks 2/10/24 7:49 PM

3 heats, semi, feature in 2 hrs.?

yeleyfan76 2/10/24 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossuks (Post 572164)

Exactly! Let’s not get excited over something that should be a bare minimum. Only 30 cars??

Stevensville Mike 2/10/24 9:26 PM

I watched the replay on Flo. If you include qualifying, the entire time was ~ 2:42.00. And as Brent noted a very extensive cleanup after a crash, and as I noted, Moe, Larry, and Curly trying to rig what looked like a 50' fire hose lifting strap to a sprint car and take it off with a forklift early on.

Overall, good job USAC and Ocala Speedway.

Vookie 2/10/24 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossuks (Post 572164)

4 heats.

captrat 2/10/24 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 (Post 572165)
Exactly! Let’s not get excited over something that should be a bare minimum. Only 30 cars??

Seems like your glass is almost always half empty?

Coach 2/11/24 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captrat (Post 572168)
Seems like your glass is almost always half empty?

When it comes to USAC his glass is all the way empty

BrentTFunk 2/11/24 12:36 PM

Don't try to cloud the drama with facts

BrentTFunk 2/11/24 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vookie (Post 572167)
4 heats.

Don't try to rain on yeleyfan's drama by presenting facts. Some people are just miserable. Instead of dealing with their own problems, they try to attack things that are more successful than them. He is perfect, everyone else is just on the planet to go against him. Always the victim.

The Old Coyote 2/11/24 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 572181)
Don't try to rain on yeleyfan's drama by presenting facts. Some people are just miserable. Instead of dealing with their own problems, they try to attack things that are more successful than them. He is perfect, everyone else is just on the planet to go against him. Always the victim.

Swish, swish, swirl, swirl, rinse, spin.....:5::5::5::5::5:

yeleyfan76 2/11/24 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 572181)

Good evening Brent. Happy New Year to ya. I hoped your resolution this year was to end this petty name calling game with me you like to play. Just so the facts are correct I mistakingly agreed with some one else’s post that 3 heats were run. I’m aware it was 4 heats. This is per the new Usac rules. You of course have engaged in fake news and didn’t realize vookie said 4 heats in response to ossucks stating 3 heats. It’s ok tho.
If you are upset with my assessment that the show should be quick with only 30 cars, then you and I will have to disagree. I posted about big purses for Usac would make me happy. After watching the streams from Ocala, East Bay, and Volusia, it’s obvious that’s not gonna happen. The video of the grandstands tell the story.

Your continued unprovoked garbage posts about me have now have entered you into being a childish buffoon. Hopefully you get therapy and can re enter as an adult. I wish you well and living in your head has ceased to be fun anymore. I’m sure you will have
a noble bleeding heart response. Go for it if it makes you feel better. Remember we were asked to stop by other members, you decide if this continues.