IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   USAC Silver Crown Jennerstown Speedway (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=124713)

Vookie 12/4/23 11:02 AM

USAC Silver Crown Jennerstown Speedway

August 10.

https://www.facebook.com/jennerstownspeedwaycomplex/

ThrowbackRacingTeam 12/4/23 2:10 PM

5 support classes of junk? WTH

jmamcd 12/4/23 2:57 PM

Yes, that's right. They got me once, but never again. Count on the Silver Crown feature after a one hour intermission and all of the other features, including the four cylinders. And it is the only time all year that you have to pay for parking.

dkdorkboy 12/4/23 6:48 PM

Re: USAC Silver Crown Jennerstown Speedway

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam (Post 570532)

I guess the 4 crowns ain't so bad after all.:D

Charles Nungester 12/4/23 7:04 PM

I don't know if it's a good thing or not for Champ Cars.

No different than Toledo. I think they run three classes on the big track and another three on the inner.

ossuks 12/4/23 7:16 PM

As we get older the fan base for SC racing is shrinking, as much as we few may enjoy them they (SC) have a very small following. When taditional dates on the calendar draw as few as 800 spectators Promoters have to try to protect themselves as much as they can. Having support classes with small purses insures some extra revenue to off set the the higher cost of a SC purse!

Vookie 12/4/23 7:29 PM

Port Royal Speedway, June 15,'USAC EASTERN STORM'
USAC Sprint Cars
USAC Silver Crown

jdull99 12/5/23 3:27 AM

Sometimes, the support classes do not have a lot of cars (not sure about this track, but overall), so their events can go by quickly. A good time to walk around, concessions, etc...

767 12/5/23 9:54 AM

WE GOT TO HAVE MORE RACES!!!!!!!! Its BS that a track has to run support classes to make a profit! You people are a special kind of stupid. :15: Then you people want to b*itch about tracks going out of business.

You want no support classes, then figure out how to make this series must see racing. As much as I hate to say it we are only looking at 18 to 24 cars. They will be running mostly single file. Don't waste your time trying to explain to me how special this kind of racing it. Frankly it don't put people in the stands. I will be the first to say its far better than it was 10 years ago, but it still is not great. Lets all be very honest with each other. Lets say 24 cars show up. How many will finish on the lead lap..... 6.. at the best 8. Now how many of the 6 will actually have a chance... 2 maybe 3. of the 24 cars how many will finish the race... 10 to 15... The drama is more in who is going to break rather than who will run the best race.

Chase Hightower 12/5/23 10:21 AM

If it wasn't for support classes Jennerstown probably wouldn't take a chance on any USAC race. I hate watching them too, but they bring a lot of money into the tracks every week. What's the cost for a USAC silver crown, or any type of race with them?

Charles Nungester 12/5/23 10:49 AM

I don't get the rant. You like em, Watch, You don't why worry about it?

I do agree that there needs to be more effort toward making racing, MUST SEE. As far as the crowns, I've seen good races both dirt and pavement, also some snoozers. It's a different kind.

Im not to keen on Midgets anymore. I mean if one were smart they'd stay away from everyone else and get top tens every night vs being wadded up.

Grocery Guy 12/5/23 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam (Post 570532)

I didn't know late models were considered junk. The Snowball Derby just had 130 late models in Pensacola and I doubt they were considered junk.

Ossuks has got this right. Silver Crown has such a limited older demographic following and pavement racing has probably 6 cars that can win. What is a purse for a Silver Crown race.....$80,000? Add in the support classes and a promoter is probably looking at a $95,000 purse that night.

We get a new track added to the SC schedule and the next thing we see is someone complaining about 5 support classes of junk. I don't get it. Be lucky SC got a new track added, no matter how they pulled it off. Let's hope it's a profitable night for them.

ThrowbackRacingTeam 12/5/23 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grocery Guy (Post 570568)
I didn't know late models were considered junk. The Snowball Derby just had 130 late models in Pensacola and I doubt they were considered junk.

Ossuks has got this right. Silver Crown has such a limited older demographic following and pavement racing has probably 6 cars that can win. What is a purse for a Silver Crown race.....$80,000? Add in the support classes and a promoter is probably looking at a $95,000 purse that night.

We get a new track added to the SC schedule and the next thing we see is someone complaining about 5 support classes of junk. I don't get it. Be lucky SC got a new track added, no matter how they pulled it off. Let's hope it's a profitable night for them.

The purse is not even close to $80,000. Maybe half that at most. Here’s an idea, run all the support classes the night before, and the crown cars the next day. A day race wouldn’t have to compete against all the other tracks in Pennsylvania and you might get a good crowd. Have 1 or 2 of the most profitable support classes run both shows.

767 12/5/23 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam (Post 570572)
The purse is not even close to $80,000. Maybe half that at most. Here’s an idea, run all the support classes the night before, and the crown cars the next day. A day race wouldn’t have to compete against all the other tracks in Pennsylvania and you might get a good crowd. Have 1 or 2 of the most profitable support classes run both shows.

or just run the support classes after the crown feature. Look at your cost this way.... if the purse is $40,000 you have to sell 2000 tickets @ $20 to break even. Thats just on the purse. To get that 2000 fans, I bet the promoter will spend $10,000 just in advertising. This is not a series that sells itself. My number 1 complaint about USAC for years, no big advertising machine behind them. like WOO or not, there is a big PR machine behind them. I'm lucky to make 1 WOO race a year, but I still see advertising multiple time each week.

Grocery Guy 12/5/23 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam (Post 570572)

$40,0000 for a Silver Crown purse? Seriously? Someone needs to verify that. I'm throwing in all the expenses, too.

jdull99 12/5/23 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grocery Guy (Post 570579)
$40,0000 for a Silver Crown purse? Seriously? Someone needs to verify that. I'm throwing in all the expenses, too.

Last I knew many paid $9,000-$10,000 to win. I'd hope 2nd was like 6? Third 4? So there is 20g right there (& thats only the top 3)...I'd lean more towards the 80 including admin fees/$ towards point fund (possibly), etc...I could be wrong though...

Someone has to have a recent purse they could post &/or add up.

jonboat15 12/5/23 4:06 PM

I've never been to Jennerstown, been by it a few times during its transitions from dirt and pavement but never seen a race there. The speedway is about 3 hours from me and it's on my bucket list and I'm happy to see the Crown cars on the schedule, I wish they would have supermods as a companion division but they don't. Maybe I'll just make a day out of it and enjoy a new track with their local competition and have the Crown cars as an extra treat. I can't remember paying for parking at hardly any race track but if I'm going to spend the day and possibly camp there overnight I'm sure I can pony up a few extra dollars. I don't get to many pavement tracks so I'll enjoy it if all things work out.

FrankR63 12/6/23 8:09 AM

My initial reaction to seeing Jennerstown on the scheduled was GREAT! Then I come on here and people are complaining and telling them "what they ought to do"
Complaining about anything to do with this event is PATHETIC.
So tied of all the complaining and blowviateing.
I made a trip to this really, really nice facility a few years ago to see the Whellen Modifieds. That track was the closest to me for that series.
The SC cars will be fantastic at this track and frankly any new venue is more than welcome in my book. The complainers in this group need to get a life.

kb78 12/6/23 8:32 AM

Of all of the USAC divisions, the Crown cars on asphalt is the least exciting to me as a rule. That being said, two of the early races that I am very excited about next year is Salem and Jennerstown because I have never been to either of those tracks and it is a chance to go see something other than Stock Cars there. I don't know if I will be able to make them or not yet but they will be circled on my calendar.

miledirt 12/6/23 8:35 AM

This isn't just about USAC and Silver Crown, nor is it just about the older demographic of we Silver Crown fans... it's dirt track racing in general. The race fan who is willing and going to pay money to see the advertised feature class main event, then sit on a hard bleacher for six hours and wait for that advertised feature main event to not start until 10:30p or after, those days are going away quickly.

Listen to Sweet and Larson, that's what they've been saying since the formation of High Limit. And, they've backed it up. Their shows result in families heading back to the car before 10p seeing what they paid to come and see

jdull99 12/6/23 3:57 PM

10g just to the winner. Thats cool! I hope its a great race on a nice night and the show moves quickly.

BrentTFunk 12/6/23 4:11 PM

I don't care for support classes either. At a pavement track it can be a little different. They will probably only run features. Good chance it won't cause any delay at all.

Stevensville Mike 12/7/23 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankR63 (Post 570609)
My initial reaction to seeing Jennerstown on the scheduled was GREAT! Then I come on here and people are complaining and telling them "what they ought to do"
Complaining about anything to do with this event is PATHETIC.
So tied of all the complaining and blowviateing.
I made a trip to this really, really nice facility a few years ago to see the Whellen Modifieds. That track was the closest to me for that series.
The SC cars will be fantastic at this track and frankly any new venue is more than welcome in my book. The complainers in this group need to get a life.

In keeping up with the earlier post on this thread, what was the undercard, Frank, and how long was it between quals and the Whelen Modified feature?

MDposse 12/7/23 10:11 AM

Well, count me as someone that's stoked for this show. Checked Jennerstown out a few years ago when I was up that way in the offseason..it's a show palace in a beautiful area of the state/country. Flight 93 memorial is just down the road if you've never been. Also Xtreme midgets are at Path Valley the night before..another can't miss show. If there's any negative at all, this show is against Xtreme midgets at Lanco.

BrentTFunk 12/8/23 10:52 AM

I wonder how many of the people complaining will be at this race. Pack the stands, and tracks don't need support classes. I went to Madison last summer. They ran 2 support classes. It ran off so quick, they had to screw around a little bit to be dark enough for the fireworks.

jonboat15 12/8/23 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDposse (Post 570650)
Well, count me as someone that's stoked for this show. Checked Jennerstown out a few years ago when I was up that way in the offseason..it's a show palace in a beautiful area of the state/country. Flight 93 memorial is just down the road if you've never been. Also Xtreme midgets are at Path Valley the night before..another can't miss show. If there's any negative at all, this show is against Xtreme midgets at Lanco.

Thanks for that schedule info, I wasn't sure if midgets would be back at Path Valley, it's a great track run by great people. Hopefully they get a good fan turn out this time. I'll head to Jennerstown the next night weather permitting.

Stevensville Mike 12/8/23 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 570674)
I wonder how many of the people complaining will be at this race.

Not complaining and won't be at the race, Brent my friend. Never in the crosshairs. This is a HUGE ask by USAC for anyone this way to go all the way to the Pittsburgh area to watch Silver Crown. This is marketed for the PA region, which is rich in dirt winged sprint cars. Besides, with Flo, this is a no brainer for us out this way.

I really understand why there are five classes of undercard here. That might prop up the gate money to pay the purse for this event. If not, between the distance from the hotbed of Silver Crown racing (Indiana) and sitting at home and watching on Flo, I think someone will more than likely take a bath here.