IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NO Mav coverage tonight??? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=124948)

jdull99 1/13/24 5:28 AM

NO Mav coverage tonight???

I know its all on FLO, but the last couple years Saturday night was on Mav...

https://www.floracing.com/articles/1...sagenet-center

Rapid Rick 1/13/24 11:30 AM

Re: NO Mav coverage tonight???

I was surprised at this too. I think in recent years it actually went dark on Flo while it was on MAVTV. I would think that the ratings for the Chili Bowl live would be better than most of the other winter events on that network.

Charles Nungester 1/13/24 1:23 PM

Flo took over all live streaming from Mav, Mav couldn't keep a live streaming site working correctly or reliably. I also think with half the country being Eastern Time and features ending at 130am don't work well with LIVE TV. Even NFL knows to get em done by 11:30 eastern.

diversified 1/13/24 2:20 PM

The Flo chili bowl coverage has been excellent, you can even watch every chili bowl A main. Well worth $159 to watch the Chili Bowl and enjoy all the other events like USAC and High Limit all year plus all the archived events…

diversified 1/13/24 2:21 PM

And if you fall asleep during driver introductions like I usually do, with Flo you can watch it in the morning LOL…

badcoupe 1/13/24 2:40 PM

Hasn’t been on Mav for I think two years.

jdull99 1/13/24 4:52 PM

It was on MAV (also) last year. I'd say it was for about 10 years

I'm glad to see the late hour of the race was mentioned. lol. It wouldn't be IoW if no one said smthn about it...

jdull99 1/13/24 4:53 PM

2023 link - there are other ones too, so I don't think it was incorrect AI created story

https://www.si.com/tv/auto-racing/20...0Expo%20Center.

revjimk 1/13/24 8:25 PM

Seems like the cable TV pricks are starting to put lots of top spotting events on streaming services. The only Top 10 college hoops teams playing each today weren't on TV, you had to get their streaming service (ESPN+) Same thing a couple of weeks ago...
I remember when cable was $14/ month... :(

Dirtfan 1/13/24 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 571588)
Seems like the cable TV pricks are starting to put lots of top spotting events on streaming services. The only Top 10 college hoops teams playing each today weren't on TV, you had to get their streaming service (ESPN+) Same thing a couple of weeks ago...
I remember when cable was $14/ month... :(

Just a question,have you investigated switching to @ streaming service?

duel 1/13/24 10:32 PM

Who ever was in charge of that national tv deal really screwed it up. Running like it should tonight.

revjimk 1/13/24 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtfan (Post 571589)
Just a question,have you investigated switching to @ streaming service?

No, I'm old school. I haven't even taken the time to figure out how to connect my laptop to my TV
Wanna come over & show me? :6:

Dirtfan 1/13/24 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 571591)
No, I'm old school. I haven't even taken the time to figure out how to connect my laptop to my TV
Wanna come over & show me? :6:

Naw just just cast it from your phone to the TV.

revjimk 1/14/24 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtfan (Post 571592)
Naw just just cast it from your phone to the TV.

I don't know how to do that either... :14:

Dirtfan 1/14/24 12:21 AM

A very commendable job by FLO Racing and everyone involved with the Chili Bowl,checkered flag at 10:45 EST.

Scott Daloisio 1/14/24 5:34 AM

Feel bad for the people who could not watch it on Flo for whatever reason. However, was glad to see it was no longer on MAV TV. Their coverage of the last five main events every year was longer than the annual Jerry Lewis telethons.

jdull99 1/14/24 5:35 AM

I get to "complain" this year (it really didn't bother me; just figured I'd represent those that do not think it has to end in the 9pm hour)...Mid-afternoon, I confirmed my local corner pub (a "race bar") had coverage (amazing! Pretty neat, even though I don't have/make time to go to many, they have a LOT of short track races - 95% pavement Late Models; but that's ok - on at the place: Crazy Times Pub & Grub in Machesney Park), and I hoped to patronize the establishment later in the day; once I completed other tasks and was set to make time to watch at least the A-main. Thankfully, before I headed that way, I was able to check results on the phone, and I was shocked it was over that early!!! My night woulda worked out for viewing around the recent standard 11:25pm cst time slot. Oh well. Good for those in Tulsa, they got to leave early (imagine many stuck around later though anyway). The early end cost the joint I was gonna support about $7 (lol) though...(the price of the two beers I mighta had...).

But really, why didn't they work the track this year? I feel that is what took the most time.

jdull99 1/14/24 5:39 AM

The same debate is going on about the football game that was on last night, and I'm ok with it being on whatever its on, BUT, I certainly think there is a better chance to attract new viewers; if its smthn that they might find flipping channels (which I know is rare these days; and not everyone has Mav. But I am very curious, do more people have Mav or FLO? In regards to the football game, I guess 30m have Peacock. Which is kinda low...certainly lower than regular TV channels...at this time anyways...I'd suspect for awhile...)

4 Piston 1/14/24 10:34 PM

Flo is well worth it at $159/yr. I watch several events a year on there. It’s better than old TV coverage that condenses stuff into short time slots and shows to a fraction of what’s going on. I was at the track all week and still used it, then got back home and watched my guys today on the big screen.

Stevensville Mike 1/15/24 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdull99 (Post 571598)
Mid-afternoon, I confirmed my local corner pub (a "race bar") had coverage (amazing! Pretty neat, even though I don't have/make time to go to many, they have a LOT of short track races - 95% pavement Late Models; but that's ok - on at the place: Crazy Times Pub & Grub in Machesney Park), and I hoped to patronize the establishment later in the day; once I completed other tasks and was set to make time to watch at least the A-main.

Interesting, j. I do not know the law in Illinois, but a friend of mine had a bar some 15-20 years back. As he explained to me once, in Michigan, it is illegal to air something that is not viewable via television in a public place, such as a bar. Now one could air MAV TV, for it is a television station, albeit a pay-for-view channel. But Flo is not aired over TV, so therefore that would be illegal.

Us race fans are low hanging fruit for the feds anyways. They have bigger fish to fry.

hoscalecody 1/15/24 9:26 PM

Personally I'm glad it's on Flo now. I actually watch the chili bowl now. Other years I never wasted my time watching it. It was kind of pointless to watch it, but can't watch the last couple main races. These last 2 yearsI pretty much watched most races all nights. I missed a couple mains mid day Saturday though.

racefan20 1/15/24 10:37 PM

Pretty sure the reason it ended earlier than normal was they didnt have to take the 2-2.5 hr break to wait on MAV's start time.

cornerthree 1/15/24 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 571652)
Interesting, j. I do not know the law in Illinois, but a friend of mine had a bar some 15-20 years back. As he explained to me once, in Michigan, it is illegal to air something that is not viewable via television in a public place, such as a bar. Now one could air MAV TV, for it is a television station, albeit a pay-for-view channel. But Flo is not aired over TV, so therefore that would be illegal.

Us race fans are low hanging fruit for the feds anyways. They have bigger fish to fry.

Matt Wood said they moved the time up because of weather.

Points 1/16/24 2:22 AM

well yes if it was on MAV they would have had to wait, and it would not have ended early. But it really ended early because of weather like Matt Ward said. By weather I believe he meant the cold. The building was uncomfortably cold for many.

There seemed to be far less track work than in the past and with smoother than usual races run through the morning and early afternoon they found that they were 90 minutes ahead of schedule around 2:00. I don't know if they were trying to get ahead or not but about 3:00 they announced they would not delay and continue on ahead of schedule.

I don't remember even C B A main hot laps in the evening other than a few laps to work in the track right before the race.

Charles Nungester 1/16/24 9:33 AM

Mav also used to run their broadcast about 20 minutes delay from live action. Their producers also switch cam angles way too much.
Also they do a Feel the Thunder start that mutes the announcers. Nevermind that Pursley passed seven cars in the first two laps.

I think the last time they did the Racinboys week of PPV that didn't include Sat night. It was $100 for and that was four nights and Saturday's Consi's thru D mains.