IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   KT Jr The Announcer (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=117351)

Jerry Shaw 6/18/21 11:06 PM

KT Jr The Announcer

He didn't have a ride tonight, because something came up with his owner. He's a natural at this announcing thing. I was surprised at what an outstanding job he's doing here. His technical analysis is great, as is his ability to communicate it.

Jerry

Charles Nungester 6/18/21 11:31 PM

Re: KT Jr The Announcer

Thanks KTJ.
Good show by the crown, Congrats to Cockrum.

BrentTFunk 6/19/21 11:19 AM

Agree Jerry. Thought he was real good.

Greatful Ted 6/19/21 11:28 AM

KTJ is the man, see you tonight at the speed palace

Chris Nunn 6/19/21 12:33 PM

He absolutely called Byrnes tire blowing before it happened.

Hubie48 6/20/21 9:10 AM

It was so enjoyable having Kevin announcing. It made watching the race that much more interesting.

I can't stand the other guy, the one that yells "door to door" and goes on and on about being cute while missing out on most of the things that are happening during the race.

Scott Daloisio 6/20/21 10:19 AM

KTJ did a great job. Excellent input and seemed like he felt completely comfortable doing it.

mc/rider 6/20/21 11:19 AM

Maybe Pat Sullivan would like to trade places with KTJ one night :5:

Kansasdirtfan 6/20/21 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubie48 (Post 541080)
It was so enjoyable having Kevin announcing. It made watching the race that much more interesting.

I can't stand the other guy, the one that yells "door to door" and goes on and on about being cute while missing out on most of the things that are happening during the race.

I wasn’t going to say anything, but I have to agree with your comments about Mr. LaPorta. I’m really weary of his hyperbole - even on the most mundane of observations, as well as his apparent belief that if some talk is good, more is better. It was so refreshing to listen to Scott Daloisio last night at Perris. Scott talks TO his audience, not AT it. Mr. LaPorta could learn a thing or two from him. There, I said it. No offense, Tony, just my personal observation.

streetglider 6/20/21 7:53 PM

Kansas you hit the nail on the head ! I have even started muting the sound when he is calling a USAC race on Flo. He’s too much.

Charles Nungester 6/20/21 7:53 PM

I deleted what I originally said. But left alone, I gotta mute it. He should describe and compliment the action. Not make it up or try to be it. Like his interviews and stories. But without a co anchor. Can't listen. Even called Bacon Windom at Williams Grove for three laps before getting it right. I don't like to speak ill will. He tries. Sometimes way too hard....

Kansasdirtfan 6/20/21 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 541104)
I deleted what I originally said. But left alone, I gotta mute it. He should describe and compliment the action. Not make it up or try to be it. Like his interviews and stories. But without a co anchor. Can't listen. Even called Bacon Windom at Williams Grove for three laps before getting it right. I don't like to speak ill will. He tries. Sometimes way too hard....

I know everyone has their own opinion about what makes a good track announcer, and I admit there’s an art to it. Tony needs to remember that we’re watching exactly what he’s watching, so it isn’t necessary to describe every action, much less try to explain it. That’s where the driver-commentator can help, like KTJ did the other night.

Longtime sprinter 6/20/21 11:28 PM

Totally agree about Laporta. He distracts you from enjoying the race, and is too loud. Everyone should email Flo and voice your opinion.

skids59 6/21/21 1:25 AM

Here's the sad thing about making mistakes when announcing races. I talked to a Korean war veteran at Lincoln, POWRi midget race, that has attended 2951 midget races in his life, won't mention his name, who said he will not attend another USAC show because of the announcer. Kinda tough, but when you try and keep detailed records of every event you attend and he has, it seems it could be frustrating. Especially when your 80 something years old. I wish no ill will against Mr. Laporta and hope he can be a success, but I sure miss Klepper.

Slider20 6/21/21 2:27 AM

Bring back Chet Christner. The new guy has never been around racing before. I’m trying to give him a chance but it just doesn’t seem to be the right fit. Give him a chance though, he is obviously trying to learn more and connect the dots. Maybe it will come together.

Hubie48 6/21/21 10:28 AM

Tony Laporta is obviously a study of the early version of ESPN's Chris Berman. The sensationalization of syllables expressed as if he were constipated is actually old hat. I also find the need for everyone to have a nickname totally unnecessary as well.

Take this is constructive criticism Mr. Laporta. There are hardly no "casual" USAC open wheel fans, rather a devout group of fans who could give a rip about other forms of racing. Your stay behind the mic could very well be short.

cl124 6/21/21 10:33 AM

I've stayed away from commenting on this for a while as it has been well discussed but I totally agree there needs to be some change. The current announcer has became so loud and annoying that my wife (who used to watch races on flo with me) now requests that its either muted or not on at all. Feel like we are watching a WWE match every time its on and not a race. It is rather pathetic that I find myself enjoying the local track announcers during the support classes far better than the USAC announcer.

Hubie48 6/21/21 10:42 AM

I feel your pain brother!

Maybe pass around a petition at the next race or start an online version. Send it to Flo.

Charles Nungester 6/21/21 10:45 AM

Chet Christner is truly one of a kind. One of the best at putting subtle cleaver descriptions into a play by play. "A little slip of the grip by Bacon allows Thorson to get by"

He also knows about all the cars and driver in all classes competing, doesn't matter where or what it is. I catch him doing LM's or a street stock race now and then, but I think he's behind the scenes at a lot of the broadcast.

I myself get confused with the midgets. Probably ten cars with similar paint and numbers and we only see em once live per year unless your a big traveler

Grocery Guy 6/21/21 10:52 AM

Not to compare Flo to NASCAR Infinity Series broadcasts, but something similar. I agree....KT Jr was interesting and offered a different perspective. He offered opinions that were unique from a drivers standpoint. The past few seasons Fox added drivers to their Sat Exfinity broadcasts as "color guys" and it was a different perspective. The drivers call's were enthusiastic and informational.

It would be nice in the future if FLO would experiment adding more drivers as color guys. Fans would enjoy their opinions.

BrentTFunk 6/21/21 11:33 AM

I don't think he does a bad job, and feel like he has got better as the season progresses. There was one announcer who was way worse during Midgetweek, and I didn't hear one complaint. Not going to mention who it was, as its just not a big enough deal to tear someone down in public over something so trivial. I have way bigger things to worry about.

wildman92 6/21/21 12:18 PM

Last year there wasn’t much racing at all and we were all really bummed out about that. Now there is and we’re complaining about an announcer? Sheesh. First world problems. Like Mr. Funk said, we have bigger things to worry about.

Rpracing1 6/21/21 12:22 PM

I'd love to hear the announcer test interview of all of those complaining about Tony. Give it your best shot. :deadhorse:

wildman92 6/21/21 12:26 PM

Everyone seems to love Johnny Gibson but Lordy, I have to turn my volume down when watching a WOO show because he’s WAY over the top IMO. But I do just that, turn it down and enjoy the race.

Grocery Guy 6/21/21 2:22 PM

I thought Tony did a nice job last night during the final night of Eastern Storm at Bloomsburg. You could tell he was genuinely excited to call the final race which would determine the winner of the swing. He was very aware of the one point swing that could have gone either way. I enjoy his enthusiastic style and agree he's gotten better as the season has gone on. As others say, calling a race can't be easy. Keep it up.

interpreter66 6/21/21 4:52 PM

Maybe the powers that be (his boss )should have him sit down and listen to a few of his calls maybe he can learn and see the difference and how he calls different races ,nobody starts out perfect ,even rob, you might have a diamond in the rough!

Johnny Gibson is annoying as hell on the TV ,but if you’re at the track and you hear that ,it is exciting especially for somebody that doesn’t get to see the outlaws all the time.

Rpracing1 6/21/21 5:07 PM

Nothing better than when Gibson says, "Its a NEEEW TRAAAACK RECCCCORD!

captrat 6/21/21 6:43 PM

Personally I like "watch'em now" from Haubstadt.

opnwhlmnd 6/21/21 7:11 PM

This thread is hilarious it's titled KTJ announcer and some how warps into bashing Tony LaPorta.

Here is the link to careers at Flo for all that can do better.

flosports.tv/careers/

I thought he was especially good last night he was calling the race and keeping us updated on who Ballou and Brady needed to pass or not get passed by.

He works at honing his craft as hard as anyone. He never forgets to get every driver sponsors mentioned. To come from a no dirt background to where he is now shows just how much he has tried to learn about the USAC world.

The canine in heat on this board is simply amazing sometimes.

Rapid Rick 6/21/21 9:32 PM

I don't mute Tony like I do Mikey on NASCAR. In fact, you might say he is growing on me. Better not try his style with my wife on trash day though.

reeserx 6/22/21 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildman92 (Post 541138)
Everyone seems to love Johnny Gibson but Lordy, I have to turn my volume down when watching a WOO show because he’s WAY over the top IMO. But I do just that, turn it down and enjoy the race.

ABSOLUTELY! I love his passion but his voice drives me bananas especially when he’s screeching lol.

reeserx 6/22/21 3:32 PM

I personally enjoy Tony’s announcing. You can tell he is truly enjoying what he is watching and it shows with his level of excitement. That’s how I get at a track when I’m there. I’m hooting and hollering. I’m having fun.That’s what we are supposed to do at a race right? Have fun? Tony is having fun while announcing. I can’t fault him for that. He has improved immensely for someone with no dirt background at all. I say let’s give this guy a chance before we put him out to pasture. Just my opinion

wildman92 6/22/21 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeserx (Post 541181)
ABSOLUTELY! I love his passion but his voice drives me bananas especially when he’s screeching lol.

I want to bang my head on the wall everyone I hear “It’s the NOS Energy Faaaaaaaasssssssssst Paaaaaaaaaasssssss Daaaaaaassssssshhhhhhh”.

reeserx 6/22/21 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildman92 (Post 541185)
I want to bang my head on the wall everyone I hear “It’s the NOS Energy Faaaaaaaasssssssssst Paaaaaaaaaasssssss Daaaaaaassssssshhhhhhh”.

It’s so loud that I can hear his voice on the PA system while the feature is going on when WOO is at Kokomo. Pure insanity.

Chris Nunn 6/22/21 11:09 PM

Announcing is a combination of the best job in racing and the worst job in racing. Ive been doing it since 2001, and lord knows ive had a lot of people saying the same things about me. Its not the easiest job in the world to do. Announcers....we are an extension of ourselves, just dialed up to about 11 or so. When I started, I thought screaming at the top of my lungs was the way to go, but as the years go on, just talking and dialing it up just enough to where you dont blow out the speakers or peoples eardrums is the way to go. Not every person is going to like every announcer. At the end of the day, its our jobs to just let you know whos driving what car, some background information, and upcoming events, and to hopefully enhance the experience at the track.