IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=102551)

HDINDY 1/18/18 8:02 AM

Re: USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters

Nascar has restricted it self to the point of boring. I don't want follow the leader sprint car racing , with the time change tracks are gone by the last
heat race.At least with a dry slick track the driver can get the horse power to the ground to make it a race. Your big money teams will make it a drag race now.400 HP motors day racing and 10" tires aren't coming back.What USAC really needs to do is set the example and pay better money .

JDK222 1/18/18 8:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 488387)
It would be better if it didn't. Who needs more dead or paralyzed drivers?

I never understand this argument. More people are killed going to the grocery store in one day than all the drivers killed in racecars annually. 40,000 drivers are killed annually on U.S. roads. Yes we should continue to make advancements in racing safety, but they are pretty safe. News flash racing is dangerous and so is walking down a flight of stairs. All involved know the risks and they choose to accept it.

Aces&Eights 1/18/18 9:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 488386)
This thread makes me think that the open wheel racing that we love will implode before long. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I see no need to get my grandkids hooked on it. I have raced. It's dangerous. Shouldn't that element always exist?

Danger will always exist, but I'm not sure I follow the logic of "not encouraging" others to race because "They might survive it". I myself am not opposed to safety measures, far from it. I do prefer some choice as to what I use if there are options, ie nets instead FC. To me there is too much evidence that the intended safety device inflicts its own serious injury without a crash, that should not be. I know its poetic to say someone died doing what they love, but in all honesty its still a tragedy and a loss. I would much rather those we've lost and those permanently injured be able to come back to the reunions and step out of the drivers seat when they decide to.

Backitin 1/18/18 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjimk (Post 488387)
It would be better if it didn't. Who needs more dead or paralyzed drivers?

Without a element of danger it isn't racing anymore and pretty much anyone could do it. You might just as well switch to remote control cars. The element of danger is about the only thing that separates my grandma being able to race and a real racer. Nobody needs dead or paralyzed drivers, nobody needs to whine and cry either about someone who gets injured in a race car. Unless of course they were forced into doing it. I could be wrong but I'm guessing you never raced or if you did you were terrified the whole time. I love the feeling of danger when I'm riding speedway. Its what separates me from the folks sitting in the stands. Jesus, you act like everytime theres a race someone gets killed or worse. If you cant handle the stress as a spectator that someone might pay a pretty big price for they're fun find something else to watch.
p.s. if you really want to help the safety issue a lot can be done with the track surfaces. dodging huge holes and ruts, or bad dust issues i.e. Eldora are more dangerous then the cars and the safety systems they employ.

Aces&Eights 1/18/18 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backitin (Post 488399)
Without a element of danger it isn't racing anymore and pretty much anyone could do it. You might just as well switch to remote control cars. The element of danger is about the only thing that separates my grandma being able to race and a real racer. Nobody needs dead or paralyzed drivers, nobody needs to whine and cry either about someone who gets injured in a race car. Unless of course they were forced into doing it. I could be wrong but I'm guessing you never raced or if you did you were terrified the whole time. I love the feeling of danger when I'm riding speedway. Its what separates me from the folks sitting in the stands. Jesus, you act like everytime theres a race someone gets killed or worse. If you cant handle the stress as a spectator that someone might pay a pretty big price for they're fun find something else to watch.
p.s. if you really want to help the safety issue a lot can be done with the track surfaces. dodging huge holes and ruts, or bad dust issues i.e. Eldora are more dangerous then the cars and the safety systems they employ.

If the specter of death or serious injury looming is all that interests in racing, I think you missed the point of it. Racing has its dangers, it always will, but there is so much more to it than just cheating death. There is competition, achievements, records, technological advancement, skill, winning and you can never fully master it. The danger is only one aspect to the much broader thing that is racing. What you are describing is strictly defying death, a thrill seeker. If that's all that motivates you I think you are in the wrong game, there are many much more fatalistic pursuits available to you than motorsport. Evel Knievel has been dead a while, so that gig is open, why not do that? The level of safety you use is 100% up to you and you'd be the sole attraction. You could do it in the nude while wearing a faux lime green mohawk and a sock on your jimmy, with big red clown shoes on full of angry fire ants. Maybe leave the fuel line loose so the chance of a fire will be looming. You could partially cut the frame in a few places. The possibilities are endless if all that interests you is the thought of death facing you. Lastly, as far as what separates you from your granny racing is a ton more than just safety equipment, I hope. So, much to consider...

revjimk 1/18/18 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aces&Eights (Post 488412)
If the specter of death or serious injury looming is all that interests in racing, I think you missed the point of it. Racing has its dangers, it always will, but there is so much more to it than just cheating death. There is competition, achievements, records, technological advancement, skill, winning and you can never fully master it. The danger is only one aspect to the much broader thing that is racing. What you are describing is strictly defying death, a thrill seeker. If that's all that motivates you I think you are in the wrong game, there are many much more fatalistic pursuits available to you than motorsport. Evel Knievel has been dead a while, so that gig is open, why not do that? The level of safety you use is 100% up to you and you'd be the sole attraction. You could do it in the nude while wearing a faux lime green mohawk and a sock on your jimmy, with big red clown shoes on full of angry fire ants. Maybe leave the fuel line loose so the chance of a fire will be looming. You could partially cut the frame in a few places. The possibilities are endless if all that interests you is the thought of death facing you. Lastly, as far as what separates you from your granny racing is a ton more than just safety equipment, I hope. So, much to consider...

Thank you!
"There is competition, achievements, records, technological advancement, skill, winning...." Exactly. I'm more interested in the difference between Kyle Larson & other drivers than between drivers & Grannies

revjimk 1/18/18 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backitin (Post 488399)

"you act like everytime theres a race someone gets killed or worse."??? Where did I say that? But before roll cages, seat harnesses, etc. LOTS more drivers died
I' glad you enjoyed racing & survived intact. I suspect if you were paralyzed or burned, you might be singing a different song.
You're right about one thing: No way would I race a sprint car

revjimk 1/18/18 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDK222 (Post 488392)
I never understand this argument. More people are killed going to the grocery store in one day than all the drivers killed in racecars annually. 40,000 drivers are killed annually on U.S. roads. Yes we should continue to make advancements in racing safety, but they are pretty safe. News flash racing is dangerous and so is walking down a flight of stairs. All involved know the risks and they choose to accept it.

Bad analogy. OF COURSE more everyday drivers are killed , cause millions do it, & its pretty much a necessity. How many people drive race cars? I'm sure if you look at percentages, WAY more race drivers are killed per miles driven

Backitin 1/18/18 4:39 PM

Its typical, the folks that ruin most good things sit on the side lines worried about the well being of others who are doing just what they like getting a feeling that most of you sad sacks will ever know. Take the fear factor out and like I said pretty much anyone could race and there would be many more Larsons and such out there.
Hey dumbasses part of being a Larson or whomever is dealing with fear.

revjimk 1/18/18 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backitin (Post 488418)
Its typical, the folks that ruin most good things sit on the side lines worried about the well being of others who are doing just what they like getting a feeling that most of you sad sacks will ever know. Take the fear factor out and like I said pretty much anyone could race and there would be many more Larsons and such out there.
Hey dumbasses part of being a Larson or whomever is dealing with fear.

Without all the "sad sacks" & "dumbasses" in the stands, there would be no $$$ for all this to happen...
We're not ruining anything, we're supporting racing & trying to keep drivers alive & intact