IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all drivers! (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=99947)

treecitytornado 7/21/17 7:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the line-ups.

t_inmyface 7/21/17 7:49 PM

Whats track look like?

treecitytornado 7/21/17 9:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A-MAIN line-up

treecitytornado 7/21/17 10:35 PM

Chris Windom wins.

treecitytornado 7/21/17 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Full A-MAIN finish.

ISF 7/22/17 1:02 AM

Re: Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all driver

It was a decent show and I will go back. Good solid field of cars with only a couple of cars way off the pace in the heat races. Everyone who took the green for the A-main was up to speed. They had a decent crowd and it was a fun atmosphere with the Champaign County Fair in full swing. The facilities were what one would expect of a county fairgrounds track which is to say that it had that charm of a fair setting. Maybe not the state of the art facility of some venue's but not a bad place, either. I personally liked it.

Some tweaking could be done, however. The Intermission between the D II midget A-main and the WAR Sprint Car A-main was a bit too long. There may have been a good reason for it but it seemed to take a good long time to get the A-main going.The PA system could have been a bit louder for those who only attend races occasionally. It really wasn't a huge problem for those of us who recognize the cars and know who's driving them.

The D II midgets put on a very good show in spite of a short field of cars. Their heat race and their A-main were both good solid performances.

The WAR A-main was very good almost all the way through. Windom stretched it out in the last 1/4 of the race. It looked as if Justin Grant might have something for Clouser for second but he wasn't able to get close enough to make a serious challenge. Zack Daum seemed to be the big mover in the A-main. J.C. Jr. passed several cars, as well. Felt bad for the A-main pole-sitter Mitch Wissmiller. Mitch is a local guy (from Saybrook) and probably would have had a good finish had the car not developed problems.

The track was good all night with some minor roughness in a couple of places. It never really developed a legitimate high groove but it was fairly racy for both A-mains.

All in all it was a good night of racing with only minor glitches that may be due to the fact that the facility doesn't host many events. I really hope this becomes a fair-time tradition. We really enjoyed the evening.

cshuman 7/22/17 1:23 PM

Thanks for coming out! The fairgrounds staff was great to work with, and the racers put on a good race on a tough, technical track.. looking forward to another fun night at Spoon River!

ISF 7/22/17 1:47 PM

Re: Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all driver

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshuman (Post 478496)
Thanks for coming out! The fairgrounds staff was great to work with, and the racers put on a good race on a tough, technical track.. looking forward to another fun night at Spoon River!

The guys are sure to put on an exemplary show at Spoon. Sadly we won't be able to make it down to Canton for this one. Family gathering that would be injurious for me if I was not in attendance! LOL! We hope it goes off as well and and is as entertaining as the Champaign show!

In our area of the Midwest we've been starved for winless sprint car racing for quite some time. We sincerely thank you for bringing these quality shows to our area and we'll support them at every opportunity!