IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   No Clue as to dirt track racing. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=69689)

captrat 6/15/13 11:24 AM

Re: No Clue as to dirt track racing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmojo5 (Post 336264)
Contrary to many, I think the New York Times article did an excellent job of trying to be fair and balanced. They got the opposing views from the World of Outlaws and the owner of Jackson Speedway. In fact, I thought the comments of those two sources were more damning than that of the professor. "It's the driver's and team's responsibilities." I've seen too many promoters turn their heads as drivers paid their $20 and then raced in tennis shoes, or driving suits repaired with duct tape. I witnessed one driver allowed to duct tape his arm restraints on prior to qualifying at one of the scariest tracks in the nation.

There comes a time when it is the promoter's responsibility, and the responsibility of a sanctioning body, to say you can't race until you fix it. It should also be a priority of race teams, as I think it is for most.

I do not believe Jason Leffler had inferior safety equipment. I think he had the best available. I do not know what type of inspection of safety equipment happened that day. But, even that probably would have done nothing to prevent this tragedy.

But, as I read more and more stories, and posts, I understand that while we accuse the media of being biased, we ourselves are being biased in the defense of our sport.

On another thought, it amuses me to see people referring to a concrete wall as a safety device for drivers. It never has been. It has always been a safety device for spectators to prevent cars from running into the grandstands -- as happened too many times in the infancy of our sport.

Bias is in the eye of the beholder. What is more upsetting is the journalistic mixing of reporting and editorializing found in this story by Pilon and Bernstein. This story only "has legs" because these two writers are at best vaguely acquainted with Jason Leffler via his NASCAR career. This is journalism at its worst. Obviously little research was done, and certainly neither writer has any direct experience with dirt track racing. This is nothing more than chasing a story via a provocative headline, followed by a few quotes and conclusions drawn from individual perception rather than good reporting techniques, i.e. get all the facts first, then write your story!

Charles Nungester 6/15/13 11:33 AM

Biggest Crock I've ever seen. Maybe they didnt see Indy at Vegas?

racephoto1 6/15/13 2:11 PM

Who reads that rag anyway ?