Indiana Open Wheel
Page 3 of 5

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best dirt track ? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=35303)

ThePurple73 7/31/10 5:59 PM

Re: Best dirt track ?

Bigger Tracks: Perris, Knoxville, Oskaloosa, Terre Haute.

Small Tracks: Farmer City IL, Lawrenceburg IN, Boone IA.

Tripcrwn 7/31/10 6:11 PM

The PAS is our favorite, but we like Ventura, Santa Maria and the beautiful Calistoga half-mile. Being from Socal, I would one day like to visit Indiana (never been) for ISW. That is a goal of mine.

ThePurple73 7/31/10 6:11 PM

I forgot to add ALL the state fairground tracks anywhere (Ill. IA, MO, IN, Duquoin and several others) seem to be good facilities and tracks. I also forgot to add Ventura.

ISF 7/31/10 11:34 PM

Well, being born, raised and indoctrinated into the dirt racing culture at a very early age in Illinois I could be a homer and rave on about the home state tracks. I won't do that because truly the best dirt track I've ever had the pleasure of attending is Perris Auto Speedway in Perris, CA.

Springfield, Du Quoin and the Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile all get our second place honors.

A track that hasn't hosted a race in several years in Northern Illinois on the Winnebago County Fairgrounds in Pecatonica, IL would be my choice for 3rd place. It's confounding how this place doesn't have any racing activity. It has really nice stands and facilities, great track and plenty of very nice campsites. Must be a problem with the fairboard, or something.

Honorable mention would be Farley, IA, 34 Speedway in West Burlington, IA and the Muscatine County Fairgrounds Speedway at West Liberty, IA and the Steele County Fairgrounds Speedway at Owatonna, Minnesota in no particular order.

The best of the tracks I've been to that no longer exist, Sterling Speedbowl Park in Sterling, IL and Manzy.

cecil98 8/1/10 5:14 AM

Been to most dirt tracks in OH/IND/KY and a couple in WV and Lawrenceburg, in it's current state, is the nicest facility I've been to. They also, IMO, have very fan friendly management and staff.

dirtball 8/1/10 11:26 AM

Angell Park for midgets. When they have races.

reeserx 8/1/10 12:49 PM

I'd say Kokomo, it is a little palace IMO, I heard the I34 speedway is a terrible track, I talked to a couple drivers about it and they hated it

illiNOISE 8/1/10 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mud Packer:
And last of all remember the worst day at the race track sure the hell beats the normal grind of working for a living.

Amen.:8:

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Originally Posted by SDHill89:
I would love to see USAC sprints at Pevely.

How about USAC sprints on a Friday at Tri City, then the next night at Pevely or Farmington?

My two favorite tracks are the "Tri" tracks (Tri State and Tri City) I might give the nod to Haubstadt based solely on the racing, but I've seen some great racing the last few seasons at Granite City. (Well, maybe not as much last year with me working at Jacksonville.) TCS also has one of the best weekly programs around, with full fields in the late models, mods, and crate late models nearly every week. The fact that it's only about a 20 minute drive for me is a mark in the "plus" ledger, as well.

old time Hoosier 8/1/10 7:37 PM

I have traveled the country for nearly 50 years from coast to coast and watched sprint cars as well as midgets and some of the NASCAR door slammers. The one facility that continues to stand head and shoulders above all others in my opinion is Knoxville, Iowa. The place reeks of history to begin with and it meets all the criteria mentioned in the first post. It is fan and racer friendly, the grounds are kept neat and clean, the food is excellent ( an Iowa pork fritter is the best) and competitively priced, admission is more than acceptable for fields of 70-80 sprint cars every Saturday night, camping is average and the only real downer about Knoxville is the available parking. Although I have never been grandstander, the seating provides a clear view of the entire speedway and the massive new grandstand rivals some of the NASCAR superspeedway facilities. The officials of Knoxville are very accomodating to both the racers and the fans and I have witnessed several instances over the years of personal touches of diplomacy that left the racers and fans with a good feeling about the place.

SUPERDUKE 8/1/10 7:40 PM

Chili bowl!:8: