IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NASCAR at LA. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=119531)

miledirt 2/6/22 9:26 PM

It was ok. Seeing a lot of tweets etc by folks on the NASCAR payroll saying how great it was. Really? Eh

Bring on Volusia and Bubba

jdull99 2/7/22 12:46 AM

Re: NASCAR at LA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antidownforce (Post 548711)
Noticed Nascar is using a: heat race, semi feature(s), feature format. Does anyone know if this is the first time that they have used this race format? Maybe they are noticing the increasing interest in circle track racing and trying to incorporate elements.

At least since they started running Trucks at Eldora...Cup did it at Bristol last year...

jdull99 2/7/22 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead748 (Post 548710)
Nothing to do on a Sunday evening so I put a pizza in the oven and tuned it in. It was better than I’d guessed until they got to that ridiculous half time show… about 5 seconds was all I could stomach. Off it went.

Make sure you stay far far away from a TV next Sunday night. The Super Bowl half time show inspired by Shawn Carter (goes by "Jay-z" to some) will make this look like the PG version it was...none of it is wholesome, but Ed Sullivan didn't think Elvis, The Doors, etc were either...the bar has been lowered and lowered and the impact "Ice Cube" had on it was THIRTY+ years ago...the only thing that anyone can ever hope for is the people in charge see the hypocrisy in what they advocate for and then what or who they ban (like Larson) for doing/saying the same thing the people they prop up do...seems its a losing battle...but I respect your choice to turn it off. I enjoy NASCAR radio on the radio and I barely heard either "Acts"...

TQ29m 2/7/22 10:50 AM

I'll have to admit to watching it, I think I'll have to hold my opinion till I see them on the big track, I wonder if some were protecting their cars, it's not like the old days when you had plenty of cars, and you could give up one, or more, it was all about the show, the Entertainment could have been dropped, but it was a way to get the cars serviced, my wife made a comment that it wasn't very exciting, the racing, I guess it satisfied the company, lots of people in the stands, don't know what the price was, but I don't have any stock in it, so whatever, I wasn't going to watch the Olympics, and I had finished my nap been to the grocery store, every 3 days it's a banana run, and to HD for drain strips, so it was a somewhat productive day. Oh, and more nibbles!

Charles Nungester 2/7/22 11:14 AM

I thought it was a lot better than expected. I got up and made dinner while Iced Vanilla Tee or whoever was singing same as I will at the Superbowl but did notice a lot of young people in attendance and quite honestly they had a hell of a crowd.
The racing was short track racing with passing and yet we're on here bashing everthing Nascar. I myself don't like what Indycar has become. Virtually not ovals but I don't bash it. I either watch or I don't.

You may not be able to see this but it's a great guy who loves people and racinga and is wise words. AND THINK If NASCAR, INDYCAR or F1 didn't exist. how many racers that you know and love would have ever got into racing in the first place. IT's a GOAL you can like it or not.

https://www.facebook.com/613516941/v...94306677555279

Jonr 2/7/22 1:31 PM

I listened to the heats on the radio and watched the main event on TV. When they announced this race, I thought it was going to be a crash fest. I was pleasantly surprised by the racing. Other than one of the B mains, the drivers did a good job of racing the track and each other.

Was it the most exciting race in the world? No. Did it have great battles for positions? No. Was it interesting to watch on TV? Yes. Did it do what NASCAR wanted? Yes.

I think with the special events like this are to make them special. When the Brickyard was announced, everyone was excited, but after about 3 years of it everyone realized the racing was not very good. The Bristol Dirt race is shaping up to be same experience. The Race of the clash is already in this situation. Once the newness and excitement wears off, the race needs to stand on its own. There is no way that the race can stand on its own.

Stevensville Mike 2/7/22 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdull99 (Post 548720)
...the bar has been lowered and lowered and the impact "Ice Cube" had on it was THIRTY+ years ago...the only thing that anyone can ever hope for is the people in charge see the hypocrisy in what they advocate for and then what or who they ban (like Larson) for doing/saying the same thing the people they prop up do...

THAT, 99, is a VERY good point. I never really thought of it in that context.

BrentTFunk 2/7/22 1:55 PM

Everyone always says NASCAR needs to return to its roots. Running a quarter mile is very much that. Running it in a historic venue that has held Olympics, World Series, Super Bowls, Evel Knievel jumps, and major college football games is pretty cool. They didn't tear up as much stuff as they do at Daytona. (Only 3 cars finished 2 years ago) I thought it was pretty entertaining. I saw a lot more young fans than I have seen at a race. Whether we like it or not they are the future of our sport. As for the halftime entertainment, it wasn't what I would have picked. Of course my kids and grandkids don't listen to what I do. Probably has to due with me being 59 years old. My parent's didn't listen to the same stuff I did. With not much going on, I would bet the ratings were good. California is like the 6th biggest economy in the world, so that probably made sponsors happy. Also being in the same area as next week's Super Bowl, I am sure brought extra attention. Sorry, I don't see the negative.

Russ 2/7/22 2:43 PM

I enjoyed it. It was a good race. Just wish my favorite driver Ryan Blaney would not have been taken out early.

Chief Wahoo 2/7/22 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 548737)
I enjoyed it. It was a good race. Just wish my favorite driver Ryan Blaney would not have been taken out early.

My favorite too along with Briscoe.